Contador positive for Clenbuterol

genedan

Feb 13, 2010
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/alberto-contador-tests-positive-for-clenbuterol

Contador has tested positive for Clenbuterol from a July 21 test. He claims that the positive is due to food contamination.

It makes me sad that a routine asthma drug could bring him down like this...but it's banned for a good reason - abuse of the drug can cause heart attacks. Fuyu Li of RadioShack also tested positive for the same drug.

Must be a nightmare for Riis right now…

Fuyu Li didn't just test positive, he received a two year suspension if I'm not mistaken. Good, I'm not a personal fan of Contador, doped up an all he still couldn't even win a stage in the Tour.

Fuyu Li definitely tested positive.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/radioshacks-li-fuyu-positive-test-confirmed

Did you like my Wikipedia update on Contador? Someone beat me to the update on the Clenbuterol page, however…

This story has been picked up by practically every single newsagency worldwide.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

Bye Bye Bjarne! Your down the CRAPPER!!!!!. No Contador El Clenbuterolo.

Award Cadel & Shleck the yellow jerseys.

What is Clenbuterol? What does it do? Is it a major or a minor thing to be caught with? From Wikipedia

It causes an increase in aerobic capacity, central nervous system stimulation, and an increase in blood pressure and oxygen transportation. It increases the rate at which fats are metabolized, simultaneously increasing the body's BMR. It is commonly used for smooth muscle relaxant properties. This means that it is a bronchodilator and tocolytic....... As of fall, 2006, clenbuterol is not an ingredient of any therapeutic drug approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and is now banned for IOC-tested athletes. See further at List of doping cases in sport. Polish sprint canoer Adam Seroczyński was disqualified for taking this drug after finished fourth in the K-2 1000 m event at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, and Chinese cyclist Li Fuyu tested positive for it at the Dwars Door Vlaanderen race in Belgium on March 24, 2010 From the U.S. DEA web site:

Introduction:

Clenbuterol is a potent, long-lasting bronchodilator that is prescribed for human use outside of the U.S. It is abused generally by bodybuilders and athletes for its ability to increase lean muscle mass and reduce body fat (i.e., repartitioning effects). However, clenbuterol is also associated with significant adverse cardiovascular and neurological effects.

Licit Uses:

In the U.S., clenbuterol is not approved for human use; it is only approved for use in horses. In 1998, the FDA approved the clenbuterol-based Ventipulmin Syrup, manufactured by Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc., as a prescription-only drug for the treatment of airway obstruction in horses (0.8-3.2 µg/kg twice daily). This product is not intended for human use or for use in food-producing animals.

Outside the U.S., clenbuterol is available by prescription for the treatment of bronchial asthma in humans. It is available in tablets (0.01 or 0.02 mg per tablet) and liquid preparations. The recommended dosage is 0.02-0.03 mg twice daily.

Chemistry and Pharmacology:

Clenbuterol is a beta2-adrenergic agonist. Stimulation of the beta2-adrenergic receptors on bronchial smooth muscle produces bronchodilation. However, clenbuterol, like other beta adrenergic agonists, can produce adverse cardiovascular and neurological effects, such as heart palpitations, muscle tremors, and nervousness. Activation of beta-adrenergic receptors also accounts for clenbuterol’s ability to increase lean muscle mass and reduce body fat, although the downstream mechanisms by which it does so have yet to be clearly defined.

After ingestion, clenbuterol is readily absorbed (70-80%) and remains in the body for awhile (25-39 hours). As a result of its long half life, the adverse effects of clenbuterol are often prolonged.

Illicit Uses:

Clenbuterol is abused for its ability to alter body composition by reducing body fat and increasing skeletal muscle mass. It is typically abused by athletes and bodybuilders at a dose of 60-120 µg per day. It is often used in combination with other performance enhancing drugs, such as anabolic steroids and growth hormone.

It is also illicitly administered to livestock for its repartitioning effects. This has resulted in several outbreaks of acute illness in Spain, France, Italy, China, and Portugal 0.5-3 hours after individuals ingested liver and meat containing clenbuterol residues. The symptoms, which included increased heart rate, nervousness, headache, muscular tremor, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fever, and chills, typically resolved within 2 to 6 days. Consequently, the U.S. and Europe actively monitor urine and tissue samples from livestock for the presence of clenbuterol.

There have also been reports of clenbuterol-tainted heroin and cocaine. Although no deaths were attributed to the clenbuterol exposures, the individuals were hospitalized for up to several days due to clenbuterol intoxication.

User Population:

Clenbuterol is typically abused by athletes. It is thought to be more popular among female athletes as the repartitioning effects are not associated with the typical androgenic side effects (i.e., facial hair, deepening of the voice, and thickening of the skin) of anabolic steroids. Professional athletes in several different sports have tested positive for clenbuterol. Clenbuterol is also marketed and abused for weight-loss purposes.

Illicit Distribution:

Clenbuterol is readily available on the Internet as tablets, syrup, and an injectable formulation. The drug is purportedly obtained by illegal importation from other countries where it is approved for human use.

DEA forensic laboratories reported 8 clenbuterol drug items in 2006, 28 items in 2007 and 18 items in 2008. In the first half of 2009, 6 items were reported by DEA laboratories. According to National Forensic Laboratory Information System (NFLIS), state and local forensic laboratories reported 24 clenbuterol drug items/exhibits in 2006, 18 items/exhibits in 2007, and 3 items/exhibits in 2008. From January to June 2009, one item/exhibit was identified as clenbuterol by state and local laboratories. The relatively small numbers are likely a reflection of the non-controlled status of clenbuterol in the United States.

Control status:

Clenbuterol is currently not controlled under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). However, clenbuterol is listed by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the International Olympic Committee as a performance enhancing drug; therefore athletes are barred from its use. Presently, no states have placed clenbuterol under control.

Well…It looks like we need to cool the jets a little here.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-contador-positive-requires-further-scientific-investigation

“The concentration found by the laboratory was estimated at 50 picograms (or 0,000 000 000 05 grams per ml) which is 400 time less than what the antidoping laboratories accredited by WADA must be able to detect.”

Could the UCI actually pass a 2-year ban, since the levels appear to be below the minimum threshold? The value looks to be very small, but I don't know much about drugs so I can't reach any reliable conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genedan .

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-contador-positive-requires-further-scientific-investigation

“The concentration found by the laboratory was estimated at 50 picograms (or 0,000 000 000 05 grams per ml) which is 400 time less than what the antidoping laboratories accredited by WADA must be able to detect.”

Could the UCI actually pass a 2-year ban, since the levels appear to be below the minimum threshold? The value looks to be very small, but I don't know much about drugs so I can't reach any reliable conclusions.

It may be a micro amount, but he was doing something that is on the banned list. He should be suspended, just like anyone else.

I bet Lance is doing the jig.

Originally Posted by Chapeau! .

Quote:

It may be a micro amount, but he was doing something that is on the banned list. He should be suspended, just like anyone else.

I bet Lance is doing the jig.

This possitive test happened on a rest day right after a big mountain stage to Pau the day before, which presumably would have been the day he would have taken the Clenbuterol for performance purposes. This might explain why so little turned up in his system, but it seems like a possibility that it could be from food or maybe supplements. When I first heard he attributed the possitive to contaminated food it sounded pretty dodgy. Still sounds very dodgy, but not nearly as bad as Landis' booze story. Can't wait for more breaking news. I really don't know anything about this drug other than the wiki page I just read and hearing about a few other althletes testing for it.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contadors-contaminated-food-excuse-or-possibility

Then again, would anyone else be suspended for a level like this? I believe that the tests have to pass some sort of threshold to be considered positive. For instance - hematocrit levels have to pass 50% and if you're at 49% you're OK.

I'd be surprised if anyone actually showed up with all zeros on any given test. You'd be surprised to know how much junk is actually in your blood (you'll find minute amounts of stuff that shouldn't be there, like mercury, arsenic, lead, etc. at minute levels due to drinking water contamination).

Then again, any athlete is responsible for the stuff he puts in his body. Accidental food contamination should warrant some kind of punishment (just like accidents in real life car, fire, etc.), since it still gives the rider an unfair advantage, though the punishment should be less than that of intentional doping.

Reactions: No_Positives

Then again, would anyone else be suspended for a level like this? I believe that the tests have to pass some sort of threshold to be considered positive. For instance - hematocrit levels have to pass 50% and if you're at 49% you're OK.

I'd be surprised if anyone actually showed up with all zeros on any given test. You'd be surprised to know how much junk is actually in your blood (you'll find minute amounts of stuff that shouldn't be there, like mercury, arsenic, lead, etc. at minute levels due to drinking water contamination).

Then again, any athlete is responsible for the stuff he puts in his body. Accidental food contamination should warrant some kind of punishment (just like accidents in real life car, fire, etc.), since it still gives the rider an unfair advantage, though the punishment should be less than that of intentional doping.
I agree, but how do you determine if someone intentionaly took something or ingested something that was contaminated thus causing a possitive? Do you take a rider's word for it?

I'm no Contador groupie, but this amounts to minutia.

Farmers have been known to administer Clenbuterol to livestock, and documented cases of meat contamination are out there. It's impossible for anyone to know if the meat they've eaten has been contaminated. With a full pharmaceutical dose of Clenbuterol being on the order of 20mcg, it would be very easy to sabotage an athlete, although I doubt that's what happened here.

This stuff is also used to dope horses.

"I swear to God I ate a little Smarty Jones the night before the 21st...honest!"

UCI says clenbuterol in Contador sample was 0.05 ng/ml. Amount in TRS's Fuyu Li sample in March was 0.05-0.10. He's awaiting a 2yr ban.

If it's requested that the B sample is tested at another Lab, it's quite possible since the amount is many times less that required to be detectable, that it will come back OK...