Contador positive for Clenbuterol

Originally Posted by limerickman .

This is the issue : if one rider is banned, then the other rider should be banned also.
So that means all riders should be gone................

Originally Posted by limerickman .

Your comprehension still hasn't improved, I see.

Taken from a part of CyclingForums that's far funnier than here...

One positive for this - at least the story wasn't leaked to the press before the results of the A sample were given to the rider which seems to happen most of the time. At least something is heading in the right direction.

Yesterday was the easily worst day for cycling since Festina in '98. I'm bitterly disappointed & wondering about my commitment to the sport. I think Contador has to be banned. He had a banned substance in his sample - simple as that. The only positive is that this may signal to the peleton that no one is untouchable & no excuses will be accepted.

Time and time again it really gets me how these people continue to use illegal substances. Actually it pisses me off. Athletes that do this need to be banned for life.
They take part in an event with an unfair advantage over everyone else and will take the glory and the prize money even though they know that they are cheating..
It brings the whole sport down and makes the tour look a shambles.
I know doping is a very complicated issue and opens a whole can of worms every time its discussed, but i say ban them for life.
A deterrent and zero tolerance to this kind of thing would eventually clean the sport up.

Sorry for the rant but i needed to say it...
Whupp.

Originally Posted by whuppingboy .

Time and time again it really gets me how these people continue to use illegal substances. Actually it pisses me off. Athletes that do this need to be banned for life.
They take part in an event with an unfair advantage over everyone else and will take the glory and the prize money even though they know that they are cheating..
It brings the whole sport down and makes the tour look a shambles.
I know doping is a very complicated issue and opens a whole can of worms every time its discussed, but i say ban them for life.
A deterrent and zero tolerance to this kind of thing would eventually clean the sport up.

Sorry for the rant but i needed to say it...
Whupp.
A life ban is fine for clear cut offences, word if he'll get off.

For me, presence of diethylhexyl is stronger evidence of doping than almost undetectable amount of clenbuterol.
Lack of test validation for the plastic means Contador will probably avoid punishment (again). However, it's strong warning for all riders.

Originally Posted by Andrija .

For me, presence of diethylhexyl is stronger evidence of doping than almost undetectable amount of clenbuterol.
Lack of test validation for the plastic means Contador will probably avoid punishment (again). However, it's strong warning for all riders.

Strong warning...not strong enough, most of the time the big names get off with a slapped wrist.
Annoying.

While I agree with a fair chunk of what is said in that article, especially if there are compounds in the sample that can be linked to transfusions, this I have an issue with:

"Seppelt felt that the governing body was deliberately stalling. “The UCI has had many problems with credibility in the last few years, like in the case of Lance Armstrong. [In Contador's case] the A and B sample were already taken, the procedure was done and still the public wasn't informed. It appears they want to keep this case under the covers or give Alberto Contador the opportunity to find arguments for his innocence. This should not happen. To me it appears to be a cartel from those who want to conceal.”"

The press/public shouldn't be notified until both A and B samples and subsequent investigation and appeals have been completed and I believe those are the current rules. A rider shouldn't have to be dragged through a dog and pony show during such an investigation.

Pat McQuad needs to be removed from his position.

Reactions: jhuskey
so, to recap, a guy we all used to call "dirty berty", having grown up in the liberty-serguros squad, having been initially associated with and then excused from involvement with eufemiano fuentes, having ridden for the hog, having come off the holiday beach to win the giro, claims to have tested positive due to contaminated food soon after leaving the hog's embrace? a great bit of cosmic irony there.

as for mcquaid--it is time for him to leave. his easy ahead approach to the doping culture, his slagging of landis when landis stepped forward to shout that there is a problem, and the leadership in combatting the problem should all be just cause for his removal.

My first impression was that the food contamination story was true. It was a little convinient that someone brought steak from Spain and that Vino didn't eat any. But given the circumstances, it seemed plausible. Contador tested positive on the one day. Not before and not after. That means that if he took it on the second rest day that he would have had to take a tiny amount that would do absolutely nothing for him. But the finding of blood bag chemicals in his blood stream changes everything, including the clembuterol situation. Contador did little after last year's Tour. Maybe he came into the 2010 season with a little extra weight that he was having a hard time shedding. So he reached for the clem. Later in the season, he needed blood for the Tour. He probably thought that it had been long enough for all the clem to clear his system. But clem lasts a long time. If he is transfusing blood, then he is using a doctor. It's even possible that the doctor checked for clem and didn't find any. Apparently, the instruments that were used to test the Tour samples were hyper sensitive. 400 times more than they needed to be. Contador's doctor's instruments may just not have been all that senstitive. So the doctor gave Contador the all clear on his blood, and Contador, being in a tight position at the second rest day, goes for it. Along with his own blood, he gets a tiny amount of clem taken much earlier in the season. The doctor got beat by two pieces of technology - a hypersensitive test for clem, and a new test for blood bag residue.

The blood bag residue test cannot be used against Contador directly, as it has not yet been approved. But that doesn't mean that the people making the decision about his clem findings are going to forget that information. They will feel fairly sure that Contador blood doped, even if the evidence cannot be used. And that will play into the subjective decision that they make regarding the acceptance of Contador's clem story. All that they have to do is say, "you had clem in your blood, it is illegal, you are out". They don't have to take the steak story into account. And the blood bag findings will likely mean that they will dismiss the steak story in their own minds - even if they never say so directly.

My feelings are that I think everyone is fairly certain Contador has doped, in and outside of being professional lab technicians, race directors or riders. But I still want to know where the second test that disclaims the WADA labs test came from. Anyone?

With hematocrit, the natural level in the body varies from person to person, and even from day to day. There is no natural level for clenbuterol. The test was more sensitive than required by WADA, but any amount at all detected is a violation. Could Contador have been inadvertently dosed? Sure... And Landis could have received his testosterone without his knowing, in a post-ride massage. I wouldn't want money riding on either possibility, though.

Originally Posted by tambourlain .

My first impression was that the food contamination story was true. It was a little convinient that someone brought steak from Spain and that Vino didn't eat any. But given the circumstances, it seemed plausible. Contador tested positive on the one day. Not before and not after. That means that if he took it on the second rest day that he would have had to take a tiny amount that would do absolutely nothing for him. But the finding of blood bag chemicals in his blood stream changes everything, including the clembuterol situation. Contador did little after last year's Tour. Maybe he came into the 2010 season with a little extra weight that he was having a hard time shedding. So he reached for the clem. Later in the season, he needed blood for the Tour. He probably thought that it had been long enough for all the clem to clear his system. But clem lasts a long time. If he is transfusing blood, then he is using a doctor. It's even possible that the doctor checked for clem and didn't find any. Apparently, the instruments that were used to test the Tour samples were hyper sensitive. 400 times more than they needed to be. Contador's doctor's instruments may just not have been all that senstitive. So the doctor gave Contador the all clear on his blood, and Contador, being in a tight position at the second rest day, goes for it. Along with his own blood, he gets a tiny amount of clem taken much earlier in the season. The doctor got beat by two pieces of technology - a hypersensitive test for clem, and a new test for blood bag residue.

The blood bag residue test cannot be used against Contador directly, as it has not yet been approved. But that doesn't mean that the people making the decision about his clem findings are going to forget that information. They will feel fairly sure that Contador blood doped, even if the evidence cannot be used. And that will play into the subjective decision that they make regarding the acceptance of Contador's clem story. All that they have to do is say, "you had clem in your blood, it is illegal, you are out". They don't have to take the steak story into account. And the blood bag findings will likely mean that they will dismiss the steak story in their own minds - even if they never say so directly.
They don't really have to believe the "steak story" - there's Clem in his test and it's a banned substance, regardless of the stupidly small amounts involved. They're quite in their rights to say "Sorry pal, we really don't want to hear your arguements but we will because we want to appear fair but in all honesty, you're f*#ked."

Any bets on teams trying to keep blood in vacuum sealed containers next year rather than bags :p ? Anyone for a 2liter bottle of Indurain and a can of diet Armstrong?

A tiny trace of clenbuterol in a single sample is something that can be explained. However, the trace of phthalate plasticizers in one's blood (as reported by L'Equipe) cannot be blamed on meat contamination. This suggests that Contador could be guilty of an autologous blood transfusion. That would conveniently explain both the phthalates and the clenbuterol, and would suggest he could have been taking clen around the time the unit of blood was removed. I say not guilty until/unless proven guilty, but this is bad for his image regardless.

Believe me when I say this is a real pickle for Contador. Things just went from bad to worse.

Regarding the plasticisers maybe he had boil in the bag rice on the rest day?