CSV's Latest 'decree'

Hitchy

New Member
Jan 26, 2004
1,876
G'day all,

any of you with a racing licence had a chance to digest CSV's latest 'pronouncement from the mount'....concerning racing?. It's posted on the CSV website in the 'news' section. For those that can't be bothered reading it, it basically concerns who will be able to race where. Apparently the ideaology that the holder of a CSV licence can race 'anywhere' (in a sanctioned race), is no more. From my reading of it, ALL races will be divided into 1 of 3 catorgaries. 1/ A club race, meaning ONLY members of the host club may race. 2/ A 'combine' race, where only members of up to 10, 'preordained' clubs may race. 3/ An 'open', where anyone may race......what does this mean?...well the likelihood is, for example, that the popular crit races hosted at Kew, Glenvale Cres & Stkilda, will be limited to being either a club race or a combine event. If they are a 'combine' event, the clubs (up to 10) have to be 'pre nominated' & the host club will be restricted to accepting entries from members of these clubs......All well & fine if your club happens to be a member of the 'combine'. Members of the larger metro clubs shouldn't have a problem, but what of the smaller clubs & country clubs. Neither of these are likely to be 'nominated' due to sheer lack of numbers, meaning that these members will be restricted to racing club events & opens. Most smaller clubs, simply by virtue of their size find it difficult to run regular 'club' events, thus any members who choose to race, will be forced to join a larger club that has access to 'combine' racing. The end result will be the loss of country & smaller clubs as their members 'migrate' to holding licences with larger clubs....Those conspiracy theorists amongest us may well believe that this is CSV's intent!. Whatever, this latest offering from CSV will do nothing for the sport of cycle racing. I urge all club members to register their protest to CSV at this blatantly ludicrous ruling....

Hitchy

Hitchy wrote:
> any of you with a racing licence had a chance to digest CSV's latest
> 'pronouncement from the mount'....concerning racing?. It's posted on
> the CSV website in the 'news' section. For those that can't be bothered
> reading it, it basically concerns who will be able to race where.
> Apparently the ideaology that the holder of a CSV licence can race
> 'anywhere' (in a sanctioned race), is no more. From my reading of it,
> ALL races will be divided into 1 of 3 catorgaries. 1/ A club race,
> meaning ONLY members of the host club may race. 2/ A 'combine' race,
> where only members of up to 10, 'preordained' clubs may race. 3/ An
> 'open', where anyone may race......what does this mean?...well the
> likelihood is, for example, that the popular crit races hosted at Kew,
> Glenvale Cres & Stkilda, will be limited to being either a club race or
> a combine event. If they are a 'combine' event, the clubs (up to 10)
> have to be 'pre nominated' & the host club will be restricted to
> accepting entries from members of these clubs......All well & fine if
> your club happens to be a member of the 'combine'. Members of the
> larger metro clubs shouldn't have a problem, but what of the smaller
> clubs & country clubs. Neither of these are likely to be 'nominated'
> due to sheer lack of numbers, meaning that these members will be
> restricted to racing club events & opens. Most smaller clubs, simply by
> virtue of their size find it difficult to run regular 'club' events,
> thus any members who choose to race, will be forced to join a larger
> club that has access to 'combine' racing. The end result will be the
> loss of country & smaller clubs as their members 'migrate' to holding
> licences with larger clubs....Those conspiracy theorists amongest us
> may well believe that this is CSV's intent!. Whatever, this latest
> offering from CSV will do nothing for the sport of cycle racing. I urge
> all club members to register their protest to CSV at this blatantly
> ludicrous ruling....

I don't think any of the clubs would actually pay attention to that kind
of rule. If I rock up at Glenvale and flash a licence, they don't care
where I'm from - just so long as I have a current licence. Do you really
think any club would turn away a paying licenced rider?
No idea what they are changing the rules and what they hope to achieve.

hippy

Sounds like an extension of that idiotic email they sent out saying NOBODY could compete in that 2-race thingy in Bright a few weeks' back!

Fired off an email asking if they could tell me what is hould have on my toast and what to wear the next day, as obviously they feel they own my **** now :rolleyes:

PS whereTF have you been Hitch-meister???
Months ago you were naggin me to race and now, here i type, a winner :D

F"...heroes, but just for one day"Dutch

flyingdutch said:
Sounds like an extension of that idiotic email they sent out saying NOBODY could compete in that 2-race thingy in Bright a few weeks' back!

Fired off an email asking if they could tell me what is hould have on my toast and what to wear the next day, as obviously they feel they own my **** now :rolleyes:

PS whereTF have you been Hitch-meister???
Months ago you were naggin me to race and now, here i type, a winner :D

F"...heroes, but just for one day"Dutch

Hope you blokes are right....it's gunna be a dark day for road racing in this state if they try & enforce it. Its having an effect already, I know of a few blokes that regularly have taken part in the 'bendigo tour'......only this year we've been told unless you're a member of one of the clubs nominated as in Bendigo's 'combine', you're not allowed to compete.....sucks bigtime....whens the next CSV election...these peckerheads have gotta go!........So you bit the bullet & started racing....WOOHOO....kew crits?....grade?....you gunna do 'road' this year?. Hawthorn is a member of the Northern Combine....some good racing to be had every Saturdee arvo from next weekend......

hitchy

Hitchy said:
Hope you blokes are right....it's gunna be a dark day for road racing in this state if they try & enforce it. Its having an effect already, I know of a few blokes that regularly have taken part in the 'bendigo tour'......only this year we've been told unless you're a member of one of the clubs nominated as in Bendigo's 'combine', you're not allowed to compete.....sucks bigtime....whens the next CSV election...these peckerheads have gotta go!........So you bit the bullet & started racing....WOOHOO....kew crits?....grade?....you gunna do 'road' this year?. Hawthorn is a member of the Northern Combine....some good racing to be had every Saturdee arvo from next weekend......

hitchy

yeah N/combine ones. might just go along and get a taste (and no doubt a whoopin :rolleyes: )
Did Kew crits, got a fourth, went to StK got 3 3rds, then to Glenvale for a 3rd n a 1st :D
Up in Cgrade to help out the Hip, and learn some hurt :(

"Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> G'day all,
>
> any of you with a racing licence had a chance to digest CSV's latest
> 'pronouncement from the mount'....concerning racing?. It's posted on
> the CSV website in the 'news' section. For those that can't be bothered
> reading it, it basically concerns who will be able to race where.
> Apparently the ideaology that the holder of a CSV licence can race
> 'anywhere' (in a sanctioned race), is no more. From my reading of it,
> ALL races will be divided into 1 of 3 catorgaries. 1/ A club race,
> meaning ONLY members of the host club may race. 2/ A 'combine' race,
> where only members of up to 10, 'preordained' clubs may race. 3/ An
> 'open', where anyone may race......what does this mean?...well the
> likelihood is, for example, that the popular crit races hosted at Kew,
> Glenvale Cres & Stkilda, will be limited to being either a club race or
> a combine event. If they are a 'combine' event, the clubs (up to 10)
> have to be 'pre nominated' & the host club will be restricted to
> accepting entries from members of these clubs......All well & fine if
> your club happens to be a member of the 'combine'. Members of the
> larger metro clubs shouldn't have a problem, but what of the smaller
> clubs & country clubs. Neither of these are likely to be 'nominated'
> due to sheer lack of numbers, meaning that these members will be
> restricted to racing club events & opens. Most smaller clubs, simply by
> virtue of their size find it difficult to run regular 'club' events,
> thus any members who choose to race, will be forced to join a larger
> club that has access to 'combine' racing. The end result will be the
> loss of country & smaller clubs as their members 'migrate' to holding
> licences with larger clubs....Those conspiracy theorists amongest us
> may well believe that this is CSV's intent!. Whatever, this latest
> offering from CSV will do nothing for the sport of cycle racing. I urge
> all club members to register their protest to CSV at this blatantly
> ludicrous ruling....
>
> Hitchy
>

> --
> Hitchy

I've had a read of Mr Ciavola's memo that dictates the new policy for cycle
racing in Vic. Below is my email response to his attempt to kill off
cycling in Victoria. As Hitchy has already said "I urge all club members to
register their protest to CSV"

Geoff
- not really feeling too inclined to race under this regime anymore if this
is what it's come to.
------
Dear Joe,

I've just read your new policy re cycle racing in Victoria and I'm
gobsmacked and really at a loss to see how it helps promote participation in
the sport.

How does excluding people from events increase participation? To me all this
policy will do is decrease the number of club events, decrease the number of
clubs, decrease the number of riders in the sport and ultimately kill the
sport. Why would you want to do that?
Your draconian policy will mean the death of the smaller clubs as what club
in their right mind would "invite" a club with a small membership base to
their combine race. Ultimately the lack of racing options for the riders of
these clubs will lead to these riders leaving that club for another or just
giving up the sport altogether meaning the end for many non metro area clubs
and a few metro clubs as well.

What is the policy regarding riders visiting from interstate? I thought
having an ACF licence allowed you to support any club, combine or open event
no matter what part of Australia you came from or went to. This new policy
of yours effectively excludes visiting interstate riders from racing in any
Victorian event other than an open.

How does this affect the members of the ADF cycling club that are posted to
Victoria? These guys (men and women who serve our country) will never be
included in combine or club racing under the format you have imposed because
they don't belong to a Victorian club.

CSV should exist for the benefit of the sport in Victoria. It should not be
out to kill the sport at the grass roots level.
This truly is a sad time for cycling in Victoria.

I and many others look forward to your reply on this matter.
-----------

> Hitchy wrote:
>> any of you with a racing licence had a chance to digest CSV's latest
>> 'pronouncement from the mount'....concerning racing?. It's posted on
>> the CSV website in the 'news' section. For those that can't be bothered
>> reading it, it basically concerns who will be able to race where.
>> Apparently the ideaology that the holder of a CSV licence can race
>> 'anywhere' (in a sanctioned race), is no more. From my reading of it,
>> ALL races will be divided into 1 of 3 catorgaries. 1/ A club race,
>> meaning ONLY members of the host club may race. 2/ A 'combine' race,
>> where only members of up to 10, 'preordained' clubs may race. 3/ An
>> 'open', where anyone may race......what does this mean?...well the
>> likelihood is, for example, that the popular crit races hosted at Kew,
>> Glenvale Cres & Stkilda, will be limited to being either a club race or
>> a combine event. If they are a 'combine' event, the clubs (up to 10)
>> have to be 'pre nominated' & the host club will be restricted to
>> accepting entries from members of these clubs......All well & fine if
>> your club happens to be a member of the 'combine'. Members of the
>> larger metro clubs shouldn't have a problem, but what of the smaller
>> clubs & country clubs. Neither of these are likely to be 'nominated' due
>> to sheer lack of numbers, meaning that these members will be
>> restricted to racing club events & opens. Most smaller clubs, simply by
>> virtue of their size find it difficult to run regular 'club' events,
>> thus any members who choose to race, will be forced to join a larger
>> club that has access to 'combine' racing. The end result will be the
>> loss of country & smaller clubs as their members 'migrate' to holding
>> licences with larger clubs....Those conspiracy theorists amongest us
>> may well believe that this is CSV's intent!. Whatever, this latest
>> offering from CSV will do nothing for the sport of cycle racing. I urge
>> all club members to register their protest to CSV at this blatantly
>> ludicrous ruling....

> I don't think any of the clubs would actually pay attention to that kind
> of rule. If I rock up at Glenvale and flash a licence, they don't care
> where I'm from - just so long as I have a current licence. Do you really
> think any club would turn away a paying licenced rider?
> No idea what they are changing the rules and what they hope to achieve.
>
> hippy

The memo says clubs will be obliged to submit entry lists to CSV for their
Club events so I'm sure part of this will include a record of licence
numbers/names of all competitors. This being the case I would assume CSV
would impose heavy penalties on any club that welcomed a member of another
club to their racing. This is truly a sad day for cycling in Australia.

Geoff

"Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> G'day all,
>
> any of you with a racing licence had a chance to digest CSV's latest
> 'pronouncement from the mount'....concerning racing?.

Strange move, here in SA the 'combines' were dispatched 2 or 3 years ago
because it was killing off one half of Adelaide's clubs (there was a north
and a south combine). The only good I could see in that old rule wasthat it
forced me to try track (as I couldn't do the crit racing I wanted to back
then!)

Last week the 'boundary rule' was also removed here in SA. So for those of
you in Adelaide who didn't like the idea of joining cycling because you
didn't want to have to join the club in your 'area' and would rather choose
yourself which club to join based upon what's on offer - well, now's your
chance! (or, get some mates together and form your own club - there's
nothing stopping you now!)

Cheers
Gemma

So if I come over from Tassie with my trusty steed, I won't be able to race? Looks like I'll have to bring my golf clubs instead. At least in that sport I am welcome on any course in the country. If this ruling is an "insurance excuse" then at least let everyone know. Any sort of reasoning would be better than none!

I've been in sports administration myself and I'm always amazed to come across people who want to make up petty rules that kill off the sport they are professing to help. Luckily I've been in a position to get rid of some of these luddites. I suggest you Victorians get off your bikes, get enough CSV members together to call an Extraordinary General Meeting to get this ruling overturned (or even throw out the idiots who came up with it).

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:09:27 +1000, Hitchy
<[email protected]> wrote:

>G'day all,
>
>any of you with a racing licence had a chance to digest CSV's latest
>'pronouncement from the mount'....concerning racing?.

My bet is it's to do with insurance. Combine events are defacto
opens to a certain extent, but without the extra insurance
requirements etc. Perhaps they realised that if something
happened and someone got hurt that they'd be rooted?

It sucks, but anything to do with insurance sucks. Insurance
is the essence of evil in the modern world.

Carl Brewer said:
My bet is it's to do with insurance. Combine events are defacto
opens to a certain extent, but without the extra insurance
requirements etc. Perhaps they realised that if something
happened and someone got hurt that they'd be rooted?

It sucks, but anything to do with insurance sucks. Insurance
is the essence of evil in the modern world.

'insurance'.

never seen that spelling of 'hills' before :D

or is it 'puncture' ?

This is a load of ****! Our club regualry allows memebers from other clubs
to compete in out weekly club level races. Now in order to do that, we have
to have an approved combine event? For crits like Sandown and Glenvale, I
am sure more than 10 clubs are represented!!!

Grrrrr

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>> My bet is it's to do with insurance. Combine events are defacto
>> opens to a certain extent, but without the extra insurance
>> requirements etc. Perhaps they realised that if something
>> happened and someone got hurt that they'd be rooted?
>>
>> It sucks, but anything to do with insurance sucks. Insurance
>> is the essence of evil in the modern world.

> 'insurance'.
>
> never seen that spelling of 'hills' before :D
>
> or is it 'puncture' ?
>

> --
> flyingdutch

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:19:30 +1000, "The P" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>This is a load of ****! Our club regualry allows memebers from other clubs
>to compete in out weekly club level races. Now in order to do that, we have
>to have an approved combine event? For crits like Sandown and Glenvale, I
>am sure more than 10 clubs are represented!!!

Write and/or call CSV and complain. If enough people do, maybe
they'll get the hint. I've done so ...

Hitchy said:
[...]

as a female racer based in a regional/rural area (ie member of country club) it's a double whammy for the likes of me - female racing is extremely limited as it is, this just furthers limits any opportunities for racing full stop. I am still waiting for notification of who the new committee is - after all that spam to get us to vote for all parties concerned, who the h3ll are they?????

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:08:51 +1000, warrwych
<[email protected]> wrote:

>as a female racer based in a regional/rural area (ie member of country
>club) it's a double whammy for the likes of me - female racing is
>extremely limited as it is, this just furthers limits any
>opportunities for racing full stop. I am still waiting for notification
>of who the new committee is - after all that spam to get us to vote for
>all parties concerned, who the h3ll are they?????

Write to CVS and complain!

Carl Brewer wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:08:51 +1000, warrwych
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>as a female racer based in a regional/rural area (ie member of country
>>club) it's a double whammy for the likes of me - female racing is
>>extremely limited as it is, this just furthers limits any
>>opportunities for racing full stop. I am still waiting for notification
>>of who the new committee is - after all that spam to get us to vote for
>>all parties concerned, who the h3ll are they?????

> Write to CVS and complain!

Concurrent Versioning System?
You can't half tell you're a computer geek! LOL :p

hippy
- geekin' it today too

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:57:14 +1000, hippy <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Concurrent Versioning System?
>You can't half tell you're a computer geek! LOL :p

FSCK!

Carl Brewer wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:57:14 +1000, hippy <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Concurrent Versioning System?
>>You can't half tell you're a computer geek! LOL :p

> FSCK!

hehe It's all right dude.. we all Mac misteaks.. ;)

ObBike - Carbon-wrapped alu calipers:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/reviews/sampson_stratics_brake

Now all we need is faux-woodgrain bidon cages, under-bike neon lights
that match rider cadence, maybe some fluffy spoke wrenches...

hippy
"My life as a typo"

On 2005-04-29, hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
> hehe It's all right dude.. we all Mac misteaks.. ;)

^^^
> ObBike - Carbon-wrapped alu calipers:

^^^^^^

You don't fool me one bit, sir! Next thing, you'll be talking about
getting a Cocoa fix...

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, hippy wrote:

<snip>

> Concurrent Versioning System?
> You can't half tell you're a computer geek! LOL :p
>
> hippy
> - geekin' it today too

Crikey, you've sent so many posts today! Anyone would think you've had
nothing to do all day long.

Tam

sending too many posts tonight to compensate for absence by racing today.