CTC press release regarding bad news.

in message <[email protected]>, MJ
Ray ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Stevie D <[email protected]>
>> I frequently get stuck behind tractor drivers who think it is
>> acceptable to drive on an NSL main road at 20mph in the rush hour for
>> several miles.
>>
>> There are other roads they could use. There are other hours they could
>> use. [...]
>> But on a main road, in the rush hour, it is delaying a large number of
>> motorists - and that is at least as much cause for prosecution than
>> this cyclist.

> I'm amazed anyone posted that. Tractor drivers are helping to produce
> our food.

Tractor drivers are helping to consume our subsidies. Very few farms in
Britain are commercially viable, and the amount of food they produce is
actually not all that significant. 'Our food' mostly comes from other
countries.

> If they judge that a NSL road for several miles at that time
> is the best way for them to get from A to B, then that's fine by me.
> It is perfectly acceptable for them to do that.

Provided they pay taxes on their fuel, yes. But if they've got red diesel
in their tractor, they are not allowed to use it on any public road
outside the boundaries of their own farm.

,/| _.--''^``-...___.._.,;
/, \'. _-' ,--,,,--'''
{ \ `_-'' ' /
`;;' ; ; ;
._..--'' ._,,, _..' .;.'
(,_....----''' (,..--''

MJ Ray wrote:

> I'm amazed anyone posted that. Tractor drivers are helping to produce
> our food. If they judge that a NSL road for several miles at that time
> is the best way for them to get from A to B, then that's fine by me.
> It is perfectly acceptable for them to do that.
>
> (I just wish I'd check the date of first beet harvesting before finding
> out the hard way on a cross-country drive to Bury St Edmunds.)

Beet. That's a cash crop, isn't it?

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
>
> > I'm amazed anyone posted that. Tractor drivers are helping to produce
> > our food. If they judge that a NSL road for several miles at that time
> > is the best way for them to get from A to B, then that's fine by me.
> > It is perfectly acceptable for them to do that.
> >
> > (I just wish I'd check the date of first beet harvesting before finding
> > out the hard way on a cross-country drive to Bury St Edmunds.)

> Beet. That's a cash crop, isn't it?

As opposed to subsistence farming?

...d

In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven wrote:
>Dave Larrington wrote on 10/08/2006 09:03 +0100:
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I'm afarid I don't currently have the time to keep going to
>> Telford and riding up and down a hill in order to prove a point. Perhaps
>> you'd like to do it on my behalf?

>Perhaps if you could persuade Mr BBM to accompany you for a re-enactment
>so you could kill two birds with one stone ;-)

I see from http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/newsitem.php?id=24246 that:
Even ardent motorists have been staggered by the judge's decision.
Paul Smith, founder of Safespeed.org.uk, an organisation that harries
police forces and local authorities for siting speed cameras, said:
"I can't make sense of this at all. Was the District Judge barking mad?
Or is there some other factor that we're not hearing about? If there
wasn't some other factor, I suggest that cyclists mass on that bit of
road and call the press."

MJ Ray wrote:

> I'm amazed anyone posted that. Tractor drivers are helping to produce
> our food. If they judge that a NSL road for several miles at that time
> is the best way for them to get from A to B, then that's fine by me.
> It is perfectly acceptable for them to do that.

It is grossly inconsiderate to the hundreds of other road users they
may be holding up in the process.

There are plenty of hours in the day that do not coincide with the
crush hour, and all it takes is a little thought and courtesy for
other people and farmers would try to avoid using busy main roads for
that hour or so in the morning and the evening.

--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Provided they pay taxes on their fuel, yes. But if they've got red diesel
> in their tractor, they are not allowed to use it on any public road
> outside the boundaries of their own farm.

Is that so? I always believed that one of the reasons farmers used
tractors for journeys when a Landie would be perfectly adequate was
because they could run on red diesel - but that's illegal? How come
I've never seen police pull them over to check the tank?

And what happens with the situation where a farm is spread out over
some distance, and the only way between different parts of it is by
public road?

--

Jeremy Parker wrote:

> California has a law about it: if your vehicle is holding up more
> than 5 other vehicles, you must pull over at the next reasonable
> location.
>
> I once got fined $15 in Washington DC for "obstruction" in not
> dissimilar circumstances to this case. I had to take two days
> vacation as well, one to study how the courts worked, and one for my
> own case. In the end my fine was no different from what I would have
> paid had I not contested the ticket. I didn't appeal.
>
> The volunteer lawyer for the Washington Area Bicyclist Association
> did tell me (at no charge) a number of amusing stories about the
> officer who gave me the ticket. I wasn't the first cyclist he had
> encountered.
>
> I didn't think it would happen here, though, at least, not yet.
>
> Jeremy Parker.

Quite a few western states have the 5 vehicle law, and it's a very good
one. In this case, though, I still find myself wondering what the
traffic speed would have been without a cyclist doing 30 mph at the head
of a line of cars. I've read reports that it was a 600 meter section of
road subject to the national speed limit of 60 mph. Does traffic
actually move at 60 mph on this road? I recall seeing plenty of roads in
the UK where it was theoretically legal to travel 60 mph, but nobody
seemed to think it was a good idea to travel much more than 30-40 mph.
mark

MJ Ray wrote:

> (I just wish I'd check the date of first beet harvesting before finding
> out the hard way on a cross-country drive to Bury St Edmunds.)

Once smelled, never forgotten.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Wit levels low. Attempting to compensate.

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:32:56 +0100, Don Whybrow wrote:

> MJ Ray wrote:
>>
>> (I just wish I'd check the date of first beet harvesting before finding
>> out the hard way on a cross-country drive to Bury St Edmunds.)

> Once smelled, never forgotten.

ITYF that's the Greene King brewery. I have passed the sugar beet
processing plant many many times and never noticed a smell from it.

As I get immediate notice of the start of the beet harvesting by a) being
woken at 05:30 by the empty wagons going by, and b) every road in the area
being covered in mud, I can offer a warning service to u.r.c. in future ;-)

Mike

mark wrote:

> Quite a few western states have the 5 vehicle law, and it's a very good
> one. In this case, though, I still find myself wondering what the
> traffic speed would have been without a cyclist doing 30 mph at the head
> of a line of cars. I've read reports that it was a 600 meter section of
> road subject to the national speed limit of 60 mph. Does traffic
> actually move at 60 mph on this road? I recall seeing plenty of roads in
> the UK where it was theoretically legal to travel 60 mph, but nobody
> seemed to think it was a good idea to travel much more than 30-40 mph.
> mark

If it's between roundabouts then the average speed of traffic there
will
be more like 40mph or less due to acceleration and deceleration time.
Estimating
delay based on a 60mph normal traffic speed would be a gross
overestimate

Mike Causer wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:32:56 +0100, Don Whybrow wrote:
>
> > MJ Ray wrote:
> >>
> >> (I just wish I'd check the date of first beet harvesting before finding
> >> out the hard way on a cross-country drive to Bury St Edmunds.)

> > Once smelled, never forgotten.

> ITYF that's the Greene King brewery.

They have found their hop then ;-)

John B

Mike Causer wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 20:32:56 +0100, Don Whybrow wrote:
>

>>MJ Ray wrote:
>>
>>>(I just wish I'd check the date of first beet harvesting before finding
>>>out the hard way on a cross-country drive to Bury St Edmunds.)

>>Once smelled, never forgotten.

> ITYF that's the Greene King brewery. I have passed the sugar beet
> processing plant many many times and never noticed a smell from it.
>
> As I get immediate notice of the start of the beet harvesting by a) being
> woken at 05:30 by the empty wagons going by, and b) every road in the area
> being covered in mud, I can offer a warning service to u.r.c. in future ;-)

Try going along the A143 (Compiegne Way) past the back of the factory,
during the processing season (Autumn/Winter?). If you look closely, you
may spot poles spraying deodorant to mask the smell. The smell is not
the same as brewing.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service,
which failed to start because of the following error: The
operation completed successfully." (Windows NT Server v3.51)

John B wrote on 10/08/2006 21:30 +0100:

> Mike Causer wrote:

>>> Once smelled, never forgotten.

>> ITYF that's the Greene King brewery.

> They have found their hop then ;-)

Yes but they barley made it ;-)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Simon Proven wrote:

> If it's between roundabouts then the average speed of traffic there
> will
> be more like 40mph or less due to acceleration and deceleration time.
> Estimating
> delay based on a 60mph normal traffic speed would be a gross
> overestimate

In which case a bicycle traveling downhill at 30 mph (which apparently
was the case here) cannot be said to be blocking traffic at all. Sounds
like the court and the police have their heads much too far up their
arses to ever hope to see daylight again.

mark

Stevie D said the following on 10/08/2006 18:28:

> Is that so? I always believed that one of the reasons farmers used
> tractors for journeys when a Landie would be perfectly adequate was
> because they could run on red diesel - but that's illegal? How come
> I've never seen police pull them over to check the tank?

I believe it is true. An ex-colleague had a farmer as father-in-law -
both used to use red diesel on the roads whatever they drove (including
tractors), but both knew it was illegal. Just another broken law that
is usually ignored, like speeding, or overtaking by crossing double
white lines.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

> [email protected] wrote:
>> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>>> [email protected]yped

>>> Many of the outraged on uk.rc have put their money where their mouths
>>> are, so they're not just 'ranting'.

>> ... guilt money for someone else to do the job.

> I'm sorry, but I'm afarid I don't currently have the time to keep going to
> Telford and riding up and down a hill in order to prove a point. Perhaps
> you'd like to do it on my behalf?

Perhaps he might be thinking about firstly contacting West Mercia police

http://www.westmercia.police.uk/contact/contact.htm

and asking for clarification on which roads cyclists can use and which they
are banned from using before making a decision to visit Telford or, indeed,
roads in all of the police area. As I've seen elsewhere, asking questions
such as:-

1. Which roads are illegal to cycle on in Telford?
2. Is cycling on the road banned just in Telford, the whole area covered by
West Mercia police force, or nationwide?
3. How close does a cycle route have to be to a road in order that I have
to leave the road and use it? Where there is, for example, a National Cycle
Network route, am I obliged to use it even if it doubles the length of my
journey?
4. Where the route is not continuous, please confirm that I may use the
road to travel between them.
5. Where a car is parked in a cycle lane or path, am I permitted to use the
road to overtake, or must I dismount and walk the bike along the pavement?

I mean, what's a non-local, law-abiding cyclist to do to ensure he or she
doesn not inadvertently commit a criminal offence by virtue of cycling on a
road in Telford. After all, cycle farcilities are not marked in detail on OS
maps..

All highly relevant questions I feel, for any cyclist to have clarified ;-)

Cheers, helen s

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>I understand the case will be appealed.

> That depends upon the legal advice given to Daniel and then him having a
> chance to inwardly digest it and make a decision as to whether or not to
> continue. I know he is currently minded to continue, but it's been tough
> on him and his family already.
>
> The cyclist in me hopes the case will go to the next court up the chain.
>
> The human in me will understand completely if Daniel walks away from this
> now. He can't be forced to be a cycling hero.
>
> Whatever decision is made, Daniel deserves our sympathy for what has
> happened to him, empathy for the toll it has taken on him and support for
> whatever decision he reaches on whether or not to carry on.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Support watever Daniel decides to do. (He is My Brother!)

Robin

> Our tractor was fitted with a T bar, and the most fraught experience I
> remember was driving into the garage whose entrance headroom was less
> than the height of the T bar. So I've wheelied a tractor.

I got one up on one wheel! :-(

tyre burst as I was turning into a juntion and whith the plough on the
back.....! ( Your'e only allowed close coupled implents on a
provisioanl licence)