Cycling to school - draft.

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Crispin
<[email protected]> writes
>On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:51:43 +0100, "Simon Bennett"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Is the document you refer to the .pub file? If so, I can't open it (I have
>>the wrong version of Publisher or something -- typical Microsoft). Could you
>>extract a Word doc from the pub file, save it, and we'll work from that?

>I've uploaded a text only doc version of the leaflet to Jon's site.
>The *.doc version of the Publisher file was over 10Mb! (Typical
>Microsoft!)

Tom - I've inserted my edits into the doc and uploaded. My changes are
highlighted in yellow so you can see where they are. They're easy enough
to remove if you want or revert to your original.

I've also tried to keep to the original font, though things like this
and other text decoration (such as font weight, size, bold, italic, etc)
aren't so important at this stage as they usually aren't imported by
whoever designs the final layout.

In other words, a designer such as Simon (who I assume is using Mac,
Quark, Adobe, Photoshop, etc) would do all the text decoration
themselves.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

congokid wrote:

> In other words, a designer such as Simon (who I assume is using Mac,
> Quark, Adobe, Photoshop, etc) would do all the text decoration
> themselves.

I'm actually on Windows. I have a Mac, but can't get used to that bloody
single button!

Simon Bennett wrote:
> congokid wrote:
>
> > In other words, a designer such as Simon (who I assume is using Mac,
> > Quark, Adobe, Photoshop, etc) would do all the text decoration
> > themselves.

> I'm actually on Windows. I have a Mac, but can't get used to that bloody
> single button!

Just plug in a multi button mouse. Works for me (well, trackball
anyway).

...d

David Martin wrote:

> Simon Bennett wrote:
> > congokid wrote:
> >
> > > In other words, a designer such as Simon (who I assume is using Mac,
> > > Quark, Adobe, Photoshop, etc) would do all the text decoration
> > > themselves.

> > I'm actually on Windows. I have a Mac, but can't get used to that bloody
> > single button!

> Just plug in a multi button mouse. Works for me (well, trackball
> anyway).

I had the pest control in a few years back and now only use a Wacom tablet.

John B

David Martin wrote:

> Just plug in a multi button mouse. Works for me (well, trackball
> anyway).

Ok. I'll come clean. I have a very old Mac for debugging porpoises (website
compatibility, mostly). I got it on eBay for nowt.

Simon Bennett wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> > Simon Bennett wrote:
> >> Latest PDF of the artwork is here below. It includes changes to text
> >> and backgrounds for legibility, new NCN-type signs. I've also worked
> >> in the centre pages.

> http://www.widerworld.co.uk/urc/cycling_leaflet_rev26042006.pdf

I really appreciate the effort you have put in to this. It is looking
really good. (and I mean it).
It will now get picked to pieces by all to make it even better.

Now with my constructive criticism hat on (and fully anticipating being
told I am talking rubbish)..

The NCN style signs look good.
Toms left turn pic is ideal.

page 2:
Should the black text be a bit higher? It seems to be rather low. If
it was formatted to match the edge of the orange, then it could move up
a bit and allow the helmet bit to be part of a slightly expanded bit
about clothing (ie No special clothing is needed for cycling but you
should ensure any clothes worn are not able to get caught in the wheels
or chain. Some children ...

Also the sentence about 'cycle training ensures children can behave
safely on a road' or some such appears to have been lost.

page 3.
The regular font is potentially hard to read. Could the NCN sign match
the opposing one for size?
Should there be a link to the (a) web site for the NSCT syllabus etc.?

page 4:
should the bottom photo bleed to the edge of the section?

general:

Photo selection. I'd imagine people might want to change out the
pictures at the bottom of pages 2 and 4. The other 3 are about as good
as one can get for the other sections. (I like both pictures but could
imagine pictures more appropriate for the target community in those
spaces. I'd be tempted to put the two girls up for the maintenance one
as it also says the techy stuff is something girls can do. ).
For example, if it was in Dundee I'd want some that were more Scottish
in architecture (and probably h***-free too to reflect prevailing
culture)

credits:
Should each photo be credited on the side in tiny text as per my
earlier version? I presume final credits will go in the small print at
the bottom of p4 or at the bottom in the middle, leaving the bottom of
p4 for local information. There should also be a license statement
saying that it can be freely reproduced unmodified (I don't want my
albeit small part to be used to promote an 'always wear a lid'
campaign).

...d

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:20:40 +0100, "Simon Bennett"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>David Martin wrote:
>> Simon Bennett wrote:
>>> Latest PDF of the artwork is here below. It includes changes to text
>>> and backgrounds for legibility, new NCN-type signs. I've also worked
>>> in the centre pages.
>>>
>>> http://www.widerworld.co.uk/cycling_leaflet_rev26042006.pdf

>> 404. Is the URL correct?

>Oops:
>
>http://www.widerworld.co.uk/urc/cycling_leaflet_rev26042006.pdf

Wow! It's stunning. The photo I took yesterday has come up
beautifully.

David Martin wrote:

> Now with my constructive criticism hat on (and fully anticipating
> being told I am talking rubbish)..

I'm happy with all the suggestions. I don't really want to get involved with
the editorial side of it -- I'm just re-hashing what's already been put out.
You've been involved with this from the outset and are much better at it
than me.

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Latest PDF of the artwork is here below. It includes changes to text and
> backgrounds for legibility, new NCN-type signs. I've also worked in the
> centre pages.

Wow!

I've put that one onto
http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/cyclingchild.htm as the
current draft version to download (I'll doctor the picture link to
it suitably tomorrow, don't have a window grabber handy).

Of somewhat less interest than the actual leaflet, I've done a bit
of work on the rest of the rest of the pages around it. Comments
welcome.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

In article <[email protected]>, David
Martin <[email protected]> writes

>Now with my constructive criticism hat on (and fully anticipating being
>told I am talking rubbish)..

>page 2:
>Should the black text be a bit higher? It seems to be rather low. If
>it was formatted to match the edge of the orange, then it could move up
>a bit and allow the helmet bit to be part of a slightly expanded bit
>about clothing (ie No special clothing is needed for cycling but you
>should ensure any clothes worn are not able to get caught in the wheels
>or chain. Some children ...
>
>Also the sentence about 'cycle training ensures children can behave
>safely on a road' or some such appears to have been lost.

Good points (some snipped), but rather than tinkering with the words on
Simon's design, would it be a good idea for any further text changes to
be made to the Word version loaded earlier today at:
http://www.hoovesofdestiny.co.uk/urc_upload.php

which could be renamed 02.doc and uploaded again, and so on?

That way there is a single, final, agreed version of words which can
then be dropped into the final agreed design.

The tabulated version there at the moment isn't necessarily how I'd do
it, but I didn't change it as it's in line with what was there before
and it also mirrors the current layout.

--

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Simon Bennett wrote:
> > Latest PDF of the artwork is here below. It includes changes to text and
> > backgrounds for legibility, new NCN-type signs. I've also worked in the
> > centre pages.

> Wow!
>
> I've put that one onto
> http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/cyclingchild.htm as the
> current draft version to download (I'll doctor the picture link to
> it suitably tomorrow, don't have a window grabber handy).

YHM.

...d

On 26 Apr 2006 11:12:13 -0700, "David Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Now with my constructive criticism hat on

I wonder if pages 2 and 3 should be swapped. The final section of the
cycle training section says, "Once a [your] child has completed a
National Standard cycle training course you may like to consider them
cycling to school independently." Perhaps this should lead to
information about cycle training.

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:13:31 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Of somewhat less interest than the actual leaflet, I've done a bit
>of work on the rest of the rest of the pages around it. Comments
>welcome.

Replace

Many people will have heard of the Cycling Proficiency Test. The CPT
is no more, having been superceded by the current National Standard
Cycle Training scheme which has 3 levels ranging from basic control
skills developed away from roads (like the old Proficiency Test) to
advanced roadcraft.

With

Many people will have heard of the Cycling Proficiency Test. The CPT
is *in the process of being* superceded by the current National
Standard Cycle Training scheme which has 3 levels ranging from basic
control skills developed away from roads (like the old Proficiency
Test) to advanced roadcraft.

My eldest brother was trained as a CPT trainer in September by
Somerset County Council.

Tom Crispin wrote:

> On 26 Apr 2006 11:12:13 -0700, "David Martin"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Now with my constructive criticism hat on

> I wonder if pages 2 and 3 should be swapped. The final section of the
> cycle training section says, "Once a [your] child has completed a
> National Standard cycle training course you may like to consider them
> cycling to school independently." Perhaps this should lead to
> information about cycle training.

In my case I'd prefer it if it were less 'school' based, as much of the
training is for riding to friends houses, the shops or out with the
family.

John B

Tom Crispin wrote:

> Replace

<snip>
> With
>
> Many people will have heard of the Cycling Proficiency Test. The CPT
> is *in the process of being* superceded by the current National
> Standard Cycle Training scheme<snip>
>
> My eldest brother was trained as a CPT trainer in September by
> Somerset County Council.

I stand corrected! (and, more to the point, so does the page...)

Pete.
--

Tom Crispin wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:13:31 +0100, Peter Clinch
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Of somewhat less interest than the actual leaflet, I've done a bit
> >of work on the rest of the rest of the pages around it. Comments
> >welcome.

> Replace
>
> Many people will have heard of the Cycling Proficiency Test. The CPT
> is no more, having been superceded by the current National Standard
> Cycle Training scheme which has 3 levels ranging from basic control
> skills developed away from roads (like the old Proficiency Test) to
> advanced roadcraft.
>
> With
>
> Many people will have heard of the Cycling Proficiency Test. The CPT
> is *in the process of being* superceded by the current National
> Standard Cycle Training scheme which has 3 levels ranging from basic
> control skills developed away from roads (like the old Proficiency
> Test) to advanced roadcraft.
>
> My eldest brother was trained as a CPT trainer in September by
> Somerset County Council.

IMO the original wording was best.
I suspect your brother was trained to deliver Somerset's
'interpretation' of the old Cycling Proficiency scheme.
In my LA, the training consist of 2 1/2 hours in a meeting room being
instructed in how to fill in the paperwork - I jest not :-(
The instructors still call themselves CPT trainers.

John B