Cyclist down in Kew - Roll call...

eddiec

New Member
Feb 16, 2004
Just a quick roll call given that I know that a fair few of the people here ride through Kew Junction via High St, and this morning had the misfortune of observing a cyclist down at that notorious side street (the last on your left before the junction heading west), looking barely conscious...

I've heard of at least two close calls at that intersection, and been involved in one myself....

Everybody here and present who comes that way?

eddiec wrote:
> Just a quick roll call given that I know that a fair few of the people
> here ride through Kew Junction via High St, and this morning had the
> misfortune of observing a cyclist down at that notorious side street
> (the last on your left before the junction heading west), looking
> barely conscious...
>
> I've heard of at least two close calls at that intersection, and been
> involved in one myself....
>
> Everybody here and present who comes that way?

Not me, I'm stuck with an ankle injury with nice new GP3000's on my bike
and me unable to test them out. <drool> Hmmmmmmmmm so blue </enddrool>

DaveB

I came through there this morning and didn't see anything:confused: Around say 8:20..

Jono

Jono L said:
I came through there this morning and didn't see anything:confused: Around say 8:20..

Jono

Happened at about 7.40 or so, so it's a good thing if it was cleared by then. It looked as if the traffic was backed up with a large van just before the interesection, and the cyclist might have been slipping down the lefthand side when someone coming the other way has turned right in front of them, with the van blocking the view of cyclist (and vice versa). Happened to me once too.. dented an Integra nicely. Unfortunately this guy didn't seem as well off...

"eddiec" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Just a quick roll call given that I know that a fair few of the people
> here ride through Kew Junction via High St, and this morning had the
> misfortune of observing a cyclist down at that notorious side street
> (the last on your left before the junction heading west), looking
> barely conscious...
>
> I've heard of at least two close calls at that intersection, and been
> involved in one myself....
>
> Everybody here and present who comes that way?
>

> --
> eddiec

Not I...still gouty.

eddiec said:
Happened at about 7.40 or so, so it's a good thing if it was cleared by then. It looked as if the traffic was backed up with a large van just before the interesection, and the cyclist might have been slipping down the lefthand side when someone coming the other way has turned right in front of them, with the van blocking the view of cyclist (and vice versa). Happened to me once too.. dented an Integra nicely. Unfortunately this guy didn't seem as well off...

not I. tram'd today due to cold/flu/plague thing :(

scenario brings back flashbacks of ill-tides-of-may-shoulder-biffo :-(

All done already. Did the move on Saturday (no BR for the last two due
to packing and then unpacking on Sundays) we're now just cleaning up at
the old place. Been good so far - not too noisy, transport's good.
Eating out is too easy, though. Of course, the supermarket at QV is
only about 100m away, so shopping's easy, too. Only biked to work once
so far, 'cause I've been screwing around with agents and cleaning and
stuff too much to get organised with shirts and things at work. Hope to
get into a rhythm of three days riding, two on trams soon (school
holidays are soon, though) 'cause I have to ditch my car - only one car
space. Hope to be out on BR this week; a bit of a longer ride to the
Donk start point.

blah said:
All done already. Did the move on Saturday (no BR for the last two due
to packing and then unpacking on Sundays) we're now just cleaning up at
the old place. Been good so far - not too noisy, transport's good.
Eating out is too easy, though. Of course, the supermarket at QV is
only about 100m away, so shopping's easy, too. Only biked to work once
so far, 'cause I've been screwing around with agents and cleaning and
stuff too much to get organised with shirts and things at work. Hope to
get into a rhythm of three days riding, two on trams soon (school
holidays are soon, though) 'cause I have to ditch my car - only one car
space. Hope to be out on BR this week; a bit of a longer ride to the
Donk start point.

noice. you'll notice the difference 'going the other way'

you need a shitter-commuter :D

Flying"bike-pimp"Dutch

Sure as hell noticed going the other way on Tuesday. Very nice easterly
wind just pushed me up Johnstone Street - doing 35 easily up that hill
near Smith Street, much quicker on the flat. While I know the wind'll
be going a different direction every other day, I couldn't help but
think it was some kind of good omen as I thought of struggling against
it all the way (well, 10kay) out to Box Hill on Whitehorse Road if I
still lived out there. Big grin.

Code:
eddiec said:
Just a quick roll call given that I know that a fair few of the people here ride through Kew Junction via High St, and this morning had the misfortune of observing a cyclist down at that notorious side street (the last on your left before the junction heading west), looking barely conscious...

I've heard of at least two close calls at that intersection, and been involved in one myself....

Everybody here and present who comes that way?
Code:

I'm OK. But I do live in Brisbane.

monsterman said:
Code:
Code:

I'm OK. But I do live in Brisbane.

Cycling is such a dangerous pastime that we should have a roll call every morning to see who is still with us. :p

Or per'aps call the main hospitals every morning to find out how many cyclists have been admitted in the last 24 hours. :p :p

Steve(dangerous sports fan)A

On 2005-12-01, SteveA (aka Bruce)
> Cycling is such a dangerous pastime that we should have a roll call
> every morning to see who is still with us. :p

> Steve(dangerous sports fan)A

Thanks, dutchy:
http://www.environment.ucf.edu/bikepath/Supporting Files/cycling_proposal - 5 May 2003.pdf

"Observers have called them [vehicular cyclists] adherents an (sic)
extreme sport."

Buhahahaha. I am now thinking of that ad "There are sports. Then
there are extreme sports". And a realo extreme sport, combining the
two: batting a tennis ball around on a pogo stick as one rides down a
hill no-handed at 85km/h on a fixie.

--
TimC
If I had encountered Bill Gates today, I would have shaken his hand,