Cyclist killed - Port Melbourne

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Heard on ABC Radio on the 4pm news, a cyclist in their 30's was killed today in Port Melbourne. No further details available as of yet.

That brings to four cyclists killed in Victoria since Jan 1, 2005.

I've checked the TAC Crash Database , the stats for the years 2003 and 2004 were four cyclists fatalities in each year.

Is this just a seasonal spike in the stats or a awful prelude to the new year?

Also I really don't wish to end with the words 'please take care' - because I really don't believe this complex problem exists solely with cyclists.

news.com.au:
A CYCLIST was killed when his bicycle and a truck collided in inner-city
Melbourne today.

The 30-year-old man was cycling along Todd Road in Port Melbourne about
2.45pm (AEDT) when the accident happened.
Police said they believed the cyclist and the semi-trailer were travelling
in the same direction when the collision occurred.

The death brings the Victorian road toll for 2005 to 35 compared to 32 at
the same time last year

> Obviously he was hooning and rearended the truck

Three "serious" cyclist deaths in a month in Vic. It's beginning to freak me
out.

"dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bob Mc Corkle wrote:
>>>Obviously he was hooning and rearended the truck

>> Three "serious" cyclist deaths in a month in Vic. It's beginning to freak
>> me out.

> A 'serious ' death. Sorry I,m not taking the mikey.. But that goes
> nicely with the channel 7 news last night.. "Seven people were killed by a
> xuicide bomber in Bagdad. The bomber was among those killed" Thats as
> opposed to an attempted suicide bombing I guess where you survive. Or a
> minor case of death.
>
> Being realistic yeah 3 deaths is a worry. Not sure its more than a
> statistical glitch tho. Amazingly their helmets didnt save em. Go
> figure.
>
> Dave

yeah, woops

apologies to family of the other one (the four year old hit by a truck).
Just as serious and just as sad.

should've said death of three serious cyclists - meaning people like many of
us

cfsmtb said:
Heard on ABC Radio on the 4pm news, a cyclist in their 30's was killed today in Port Melbourne. No further details available as of yet.

That brings to four cyclists killed in Victoria since Jan 1, 2005.

I've checked the TAC Crash Database , the stats for the years 2003 and 2004 were four cyclists fatalities in each year.

Is this just a seasonal spike in the stats or a awful prelude to the new year?

Also I really don't wish to end with the words 'please take care' - because I really don't believe this complex problem exists solely with cyclists.
aw ****! :(

i think its about time TAC did a bike-specific ad...

dave said:
Obviously he was hooning and rearended the truck

not funny. OTOH people do pull in front of trucks, if they are in a car its often just expensive and embarrassing.
How about we wait to find out what happened ?

dave said:
Yeah Well none of its good. I disaprove of death on principle. THo
for some people I make an exeption.

Ahh well what can you do? THe new regime of lower speed limits.. safer
cars and dumber drivers is inevitably going to up the rates of
vulnerable road users killed. Can;t be helped I am afraid. And
possibly not a subject to start me on. :)

Dave

Well, I'LL start you on it!

Lower speed limits = good thing

'Safer' cars - safer for whom? Cars have never been 'safe'. The risks have just been controllable, up to now. As selfishness and '****ing someone over in traffic' becomes an outlet for all the petty and increasing frustrations that cars and the individualistic consumer lifestyle engender, then we're all going to pay the price for rampaging egos (and rank carelessness) with a tonne and a half (increasingly more) of metal and 70 hp at their disposal.

It's actually a satanic plot, or as good a facsimilie of one as makes no difference: a piece of technology where you are only responsible in the most perfunctory and legalistic way for the welfare of those around you (whom you will never get to know, and can, if the fancy takes you, demonise them to your heart's content). You can't hear them scream through the bodywork and stereo, and can ruin their lives in an instant.

Dumber drivers - the whole of society is autistically turning in on its individual selves, cocooned in little bubbles of technology. For many people (most dangerously, those prone to psychopathology anyway), this offers a perfect excuse to hype up and amplify the perceived danger, curl up into a little echidna-like ball, pointing the spines, denying and fearing all outside. The collective, spontaneous, HUMAN reaction to someone elses distress or danger (tsunami appeals notwithstanding - maybe this is a displaced generosity we should be giving to those around us?) is starting to atrophy, as our social sense is blunted by (bureaucratic) process, media propaganda and the possession of material objects. We can't share anyone else's joy, either, and so gulp Prozac, violate children and spouses (and strangers on bikes), anything to displace the anomie of this Russian doll nest of concrete and steel cages we've built for ourselves. 'Dumb' in the sense of the human wisdom necessary to live harmoniously with our neighbors (the 'precautionary principle' - if in doubt of damage able to be caused, don't do it)? You bet! Not dumb in the sense of reaction to stimuli. We all think we're fighter pilots: better behind the wheel than we actually are.

FUUUUCCCCKKK!!!!!! Ride a bike! Breathe some clean air! Get out of the fluorescent-light battery cage and TALK TO PEOPLE!

M "just come back from tall forests where even the BIRDS talk to you" H

dave said:
Obviously he was hooning and rearended the truck

Hey, Dave, ever cycled alongside a truck and experienced the slipstream?
I used to commute down to Port Melbourne and rode with trucks, B-doubles alongside, the slipstream was another road hazard I had to deal with virtually everyday. See here for an online discussion

Now we don't know what really occured in this accident in Port Melbourne but what is a real worry is if the cyclist road toll starts to rise expedentially during the year.

In 2003 and 2004 the numbers for each year was 4. Victoria has seen 4 deaths SINCE Jan 1 2005, today is only the 2nd of February. If this issue concerns fellow cyclists, then it's time we better start thinking about what may be contributing factors, then contact Bicycle Victoria, VicRoads, Local Councils or any other revalent peak organisations with your concerns.

BTW - Dave - please fix your clock.

4 cyclists deaths since Jan 1 2005, and it's only Feb 2nd!

I'm bracing myself for that knee-jerk reaction from the powers that be. Hopefully we'll see out the winter (less cyclists on the roads generally) before it flares up towards next spring/summer & those type of 'safety measures' that we all love so much (sic) are rolled out.
Shudder to think might they might be: register all cyclists? compulsory health insurance or 'cyclist' insurance (through some sort of bike registration set-up)? bike lanes on roads to be separated from other traffic by raised concrete strips? Cyclists disallowed from major vehicular routes (i.e.: Ballarat Rd, Nepean Hway), reflective vests all round? An adult on foot to precede the cyclist while holding a red flag to alert other motorists of his approach?
Maybe a media campain to alert motorists to cyclists, most likley showing a cyclist riding on a marked bike lane in full fluro gear & reflectors, lights going, signaling left right & centre, walking their bike through a pedstrian crossing to cross a road etc. Obviously any cyclist who does not match this model would be just asking for it ; “but officer that cyclists didn’t have any wheel reflectors, I can’t possibly be held responcible for not seeing him”.

Nothing constructive here sorry, maybe on the individual level, if we try to place less faith in motorists when we sharing the road, so they would have a lesser chance to disappoint us. I’ve seen heaps of times acyclist run right out into the traffic flow (turning, merging, negotciating atheir route) on the expectation that motorists understand that when it comes to right of way: cyclist = motorist.

Marx SS said:
I'm bracing myself for that knee-jerk reaction from the powers that be. Hopefully we'll see out the winter (less motorists on the roads generally) before it flares up towards next spring/summer & those type of 'safety measures' that we all love so much (sic) are rolled out. Shudder to think might they might be: register all motorists? compulsory health insurance or 'motorist' insurance (through some sort of car registration set-up)? car lanes on roads to be separated from other traffic by raised concrete strips? Motorists disallowed from major vehicular routes (i.e.: Ballarat Rd, Nepean Hway), reflective vests all round? An adult on foot to precede the motorist while holding a red flag to alert other cyclists of his approach?

Maybe a media campain to alert cyclists to motorists, most likley showing a motorist riding on a marked car lane in full fluro gear & reflectors, lights going, signaling left right & centre, pushing their car through a pedestrian crossing to cross a road etc. Obviously any motorist who does not match this model would be just asking for it ; “but officer that motorists didn’t have any wheel reflectors, I can’t possibly be held responcible for not seeing him”.

[begin mild sarcasm] Or her. Yes, I've obviously re-jigged the post. Reads better doesn't it? Oh, if only... ;) ;) ;) [/end mild sarcasm]

Marx SS wrote:

> I'm bracing myself for that knee-jerk reaction from the powers that be.

I reckon lots of ads showing carnage to bike riders, designed specifically to scare people away from riding. I mean, if there are no cyclists, then there'll be no cycling fatalities!

By the year 2020, every child in Australia will be driven to and from school in a 2 tonne four wheel drive!

Regards,

Suzy

dave wrote:
> cfsmtb wrote:
> I spose it is technically possible to draft a truck and clobber it hard
> enough to get killed. OK in that instance it would be the cyclists fault.

I hit the back of the Honda hard enough to still get occasional neck
issues and I was only going slow. Well, poor posture and trying hard to
stay aero on the bike don't help it ;)

> OK maybe it aint that clearcut. I will still put my fiver on it being
> mostly the trucks fault.. but I could be wrong We will find out

Isn't there a news article on this yet? (Not that news articles contain
facts).

hippy

"Marx SS" wrote

.. . . . . snip

>. . . . . maybe on the individual level, if we
> try to place less faith in motorists when we share the road, so they
> would have a lesser chance to disappoint us.

This is the attitude I have used ever since I started riding as a kid,
"never trust a motorist", and I am always ready to make allowances for
motorists. It seems to work, only ever had one accident (with a car) in over
30 years (despite establishing eye contact with the driver!?). My
philosophy is that I am the one who is going to get hurt, so I am the one
who needs to make allowances for the sometimes idiotic actions of some
motorists.
Mind you, I still get ****** off when a motorist does something stupid, so I
guess you could say that my lack of faith in motorists does not stop me
being disappointed by them!

Bjay

"aeek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> dave Wrote:
> >
> > Obviously he was hooning and rearended the truck

> not funny. OTOH people do pull in front of trucks, if they are in a car
> its often just expensive and embarrassing.
> How about we wait to find out what happened ?
>

> --
> aeek

We can be certain of one thing - the deceased cyslist will not tell his
story. I hope there were independent witnesses.

Henry.

> They would never do this but if every investigation was started on the
> lines of the car driver was in the wrong. i wonder if that would make a
> difference. Certainly "But office I didnt see " should be an admission
> of guilt.
>
> Dave

You got me on my bandwagon, Dave. We seem to have a legal system which is
increasingly geared up to offer the perpetrator of a crime limitless
protection at every level of the law, and leaves the victim conveniently
forgotten. It is a system driven by lawyers who will defend the person with
the most money. The perpetrator of a crime (or someone who has struck down a
cyclist) usually has the most money to spend on a defence. The dead cyclist
will certainly not hire an expensive lawyer to put his case forward. Nor is
he going to testify. "He veered in front of me" is a good excuse by the
driver, in the absence of witnesses. Case closed. Even if a motorist is
found "guilty" of accidentally killing a cyclist - well, we live in an age
where a person can be murdered and the killer will get little more than a
pat on the back or a token sentence on a reduced charge. What do you think a
driver who "accidentally" kills a cyslist will get? Probably lose a couple
of demerit points and get $100 fine - if that.

There is no money to be made in defending victims' rights.

Henry.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:37:52 +1100, aeek
<[email protected]> wrote:

>dave Wrote:
>>
>> Obviously he was hooning and rearended the truck

>not funny.

I don't think Dave was trying to be funny.

>OTOH people do pull in front of trucks, if they are in a car
>its often just expensive and embarrassing.

Depends on the relative sizes. I knew someone who was driving a truck
when a small car skidded under the back wheels of his trailer. He
hardly felt it, but the car was squashed almost flat.

It's not always the truck driver's fault. Most of them are very
careful and responsible drivers and much more attentive than the
average car driver.

>How about we wait to find out what happened ?

Good advice.

--
Regards.
Richard.

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:55:37 +1100, suzyj
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Marx SS wrote:
>
>> I'm bracing myself for that knee-jerk reaction from the powers that

>be.
>
>I reckon lots of ads showing carnage to bike riders, designed
>specifically to scare people away from riding. I mean, if there are no
>cyclists, then there'll be no cycling fatalities!
>
>By the year 2020, every child in Australia will be driven to and from
>school in a 2 tonne four wheel drive!

They mostly are around here already. The roads are too dangerous for
the kids to ride or walk because of all the 2 tonne four wheel drives.

--
Regards.
Richard.

Marx SS <[email protected]> wrote:

> 4 cyclists deaths since Jan 1 2005, and it's only Feb 2nd!
>
> I'm bracing myself for that knee-jerk reaction from the powers that be.
> Hopefully we'll see out the winter (less cyclists on the roads
> generally) before it flares up towards next spring/summer & those type
> of 'safety measures' that we all love so much (sic) are rolled out.
> Shudder to think might they might be: register all cyclists? compulsory
> health insurance or 'cyclist' insurance (through some sort of bike
> registration set-up)? bike lanes on roads to be separated from other
> traffic by raised concrete strips? Cyclists disallowed from major
> vehicular routes (i.e.: Ballarat Rd, Nepean Hway), reflective vests all
> round? An adult on foot to precede the cyclist while holding a red flag
> to alert other motorists of his approach?

Nah, they'll just make four wheels and doors compulsory on each bike.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Richard Sherratt <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's not always the truck driver's fault. Most of them are very
> careful and responsible drivers and much more attentive than the
> average car driver.

Sometimes.

It would be interesting to see how many cyclists are involved in
accidents with large trucks. We've recently had at least couple of
deaths from trucks up here. Sometimes cyclists are caught up under the
trailer when the truck is turning or there's a major cross-wind. I think
in Europe all trucks are fitted with side guards to prevent this type of
accident.

I also see a lot of truckies who push things to the limit. Like
travelling 60km/h in a narrow strip shopping-centre. Not much margin for
safety if someone pulls out in front and 20 tonnes needs to be stopped
in a hurry. And having worked in the trucking industry in the past, I
can say that there would be a fair proportion of truckies with attitude
problems, sometimes drug induced.

Peter

--
Peter McCallum