Cyclist killed - Port Melbourne

TimC wrote:
> Spent 6 months each at Mildura primary,

I was at Mildura South.. close but no cigar. :)

> Wentworth Catholic (I introduced them to blasphemy),

Excellent work!

>>>And oranges suck in Melbourne.

>>Yes, but I don't like 'em much anyway.. or grapes.. picked too many I think!

> One thing I could never stand before picking was asparagus. And
> picking them only made them worse.
>
> Grapes, I don't understand how I can still like them. It is pure hell
> to pick the little bastards. Start before sunrise, pick all day, no
> shade, 47 degrees.

Sticky grape juice, red loam stuck to sticky grape juice, cut yourself
on the picking knife and blood congeals with red loam and sticky grape
juice..

Spine is progressively stuffed after leaning over vines or squatting
under vines to get all the hidden bunches and throwing dip tins full of
grapes around. Sunburnt due to the 4000 degree heat and no time to
reapply sunscreen, crappy money unless you are fast (and I was never a
fast picker).
When I left Mildura I stated one thing.. "I'm never picking another
farking grape again!". I intend to stick by those wise words.

hippy

Shane Stanley wrote:
> I guess my approach comes from the fact that I ride a lot near quarries,
> which means lots of quarry trucks. They definitely drive differently
> when there are other vehicles around -- if there are no other vehicles
> around they tend to cut corners, not indicate, etc. I want them to know
> I'm there.

Yeah.. that would make a difference. I ride in Melb traffic mostly and
trucks are pretty good with signals and predicatable driving.

hippy

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 at 00:44 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>> Spent 6 months each at Mildura primary,

> I was at Mildura South.. close but no cigar. :)

For all I know, I could have been there...

I can't remember Mildura schools, apart from the bullies. You weren't
a bully, were you? ;) All I remember is we were allowed to leave the
school grounds to get lunch (and lollies, yay! the start of my lollie
eating career) from the shop next to.... some building somewhere.

I can't even remember which part of Mildura we lived in. There was a
KFC nearby...

Teh school seemed very far from home, and I used to ride it (passing
the yummy KFC smell on the way, before KFC quality
somewhat.... erm... declined). I wonder if it was 1km or 2?

I bet the human brain is a kludge.
-- Marvin Minsky

TimC wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 at 00:44 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
>>I was at Mildura South.. close but no cigar. :)

> For all I know, I could have been there...
>
> I can't remember Mildura schools, apart from the bullies. You weren't
> a bully, were you? ;)

No comment. ;)

> All I remember is we were allowed to leave the
> school grounds to get lunch (and lollies, yay! the start of my lollie
> eating career) from the shop next to.... some building somewhere.

There is a milkbar next to MSPS. But I think there was a milkbar next to
every other school in the district. Waz yur skool in town or out of town?

> I can't even remember which part of Mildura we lived in. There was a
> KFC nearby...

Gee.. now you are stretching the limits of my memory. I can't place a
KFC.. (this could be due to the fact that my parents would never take us
there more than my failing memory.. or not :))

> Teh school seemed very far from home, and I used to ride it (passing
> the yummy KFC smell on the way, before KFC quality
> somewhat.... erm... declined). I wonder if it was 1km or 2?

If it was near KFC, I reckon it was one of the Mildura schools 'in town'
rather than MSPS which was out near 16th street.

hippy

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 at 01:50 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>> All I remember is we were allowed to leave the
>> school grounds to get lunch (and lollies, yay! the start of my lollie
>> eating career) from the shop next to.... some building somewhere.

> There is a milkbar next to MSPS. But I think there was a milkbar next to
> every other school in the district. Waz yur skool in town or out of town?

Hrm. There were houses around! I guess "in town".

> Time is nature's way of making sure that everything doesn't
> happen at once.

And space is so that it doesn't all happen to you.
-- Matthew L. Martin and John D Salt @ ARK

TimC said:
On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 at 01:50 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>> All I remember is we were allowed to leave the
>> school grounds to get lunch (and lollies, yay! the start of my lollie
>> eating career) from the shop next to.... some building somewhere.

> There is a milkbar next to MSPS. But I think there was a milkbar next to
> every other school in the district. Waz yur skool in town or out of town?

Hrm. There were houses around! I guess "in town".

> Time is nature's way of making sure that everything doesn't
> happen at once.

And space is so that it doesn't all happen to you.
-- Matthew L. Martin and John D Salt @ ARK

Why don;t you two go and get a hotel room..... (as fascinating as this discussion is)..

Shabby wrote:
> Why don;t you two go and get a hotel room..... (as fascinating as this
> discussion is)..

Know any with reasonable rates for the hour?

Sure, it should probably be taken off-list, but, you know, you don't
_have_ to read it Shabby.

Soo sorry to put such a dampener on your otherwise wonderfully bright
and cheerful day..

hippy

hippy said:
Shabby wrote:
> Why don;t you two go and get a hotel room..... (as fascinating as this
> discussion is)..

Know any with reasonable rates for the hour?

Sure, it should probably be taken off-list, but, you know, you don't
_have_ to read it Shabby.

Soo sorry to put such a dampener on your otherwise wonderfully bright
and cheerful day..

hippy

and would that room be in StKilda or Port melbourne? Oh, never mind...

back on topic..... I read in local paper today that the truck was turning
left and the cyclist was also in the left lane. By the tone of the article
it sounded like the cyclist was "in the right" and police was urging
cyclists to take care even if they had a right of way (I paraphrase).

I work with a person who worked in Holland recently and over there cars seem
to pay a lot more attention to cyclists not to mention that cyclists have
(virtual) right of way and most roads even major ones have bike lanes. She
also told me (not sure if this is correct, legally) that in event of
car-bicycle collision the car is automatically at fault. Gee, what an idea?!

In the meantime back in bicycle friendly Melbourne (ha?) on Beach Road on
Sunday last week two cars yelled abuse at us riding..... We slowed them
down, it seems. So Sorry. Such great civilization we live in, it simply
hurts. Sarcasm purely intentional.

Here's a thought - what if parking were to be not allowed in Beach Road
(else why not call it Beach Car-park instead of Beach Road?) from say
~Brighton to Mordialloc (where it is 2 lanes) then the *moving traffic of
all kinds* might breathe a sigh of relief, me thinks. IMHO. Busy road, only
2 lanes, a lot of cars and bicycles, why not dis-allow parking there on
B-road say ~7am~7pm~7days? I would love to know how many car parking spaces
are there on Beach Road from Brighton to Mordialloc anyhow? I am sure this
idea will infuriate many people even though roads are designed for going
primarily, not parking.

ok, I am off the soap box..... 8^)

Yuri Budilov said:
back on topic..... I read in local paper today that the truck was turning
left and the cyclist was also in the left lane. By the tone of the article
it sounded like the cyclist was "in the right" and police was urging
cyclists to take care even if they had a right of way (I paraphrase).

Hi Yuri, I would like to get a copy of this article, was this in the Emerald Hill Times or another Leader newspaper?

Regarding the cyclists fatalities for 2005, I received a response from BV today stating that they were writing to the coroners office in order to receive a copies of the reports investigating each cyclists death. As BV do not know the exact circumstances concerning each incident, they can not make a statement, which is quite understandable. They also mentioned it was a absolute tragedy that these deaths had occured in such a short period. :(