Does it exist?

MapleDownUnder

Sep 18, 2007
After visiting my LBS and getting properly sized for my bike, it's come to my attention my once perfect bike is now not the corret size, hense causing some of my recent knee pain :(

Apparently I need a seat post offering more setback/layback - 35-40mm to be exact. This might seem like an easy task but my bike is classic cromoly 59cm OLMO - 26.4 seatpost :confused:

Not sure really what to do, I've looked online but am having no luck? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've seen 26.8 mm seatposts with suitable setback. 26.4 mm is probably pushing your luck.

Now getting the right saddle setback will aid comfort(takes weight off hands/shouders) although I don't recall sitting too far forward as being a cause of knee pain. I think that there may be more to it than that and getting more saddle setback isn't going to automaticaly cure your problem.

Regards, Anthony

There are 26.4 seatposts available, but with the setback I'm looking for they seem to be non existent?

I should also say my knee pain was after I tried riding my first Century. Not to mention it was on a very hilly course (2000m total approx) Distance wise I felt prepared but certainly didnt spend enough time prepping for the climbs. :eek: Silly me.

I've also looked into a different saddle, slightly longer than my current but not sure if this will do the trick?

MapleDownUnder said:
After visiting my LBS and getting properly sized for my bike, it's come to my attention my once perfect bike is now not the corret size, hense causing some of my recent knee pain :(

Apparently I need a seat post offering more setback/layback - 35-40mm to be exact. This might seem like an easy task but my bike is classic cromoly 59cm OLMO - 26.4 seatpost :confused:

Not sure really what to do, I've looked online but am having no luck? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Specifically, what saddle & seatpost are you currently using?

BTW. I'm just curious as to what vintage your OLMO is that it only uses a 26.4 seatpost ... post a pic of the bike.

This is crazy? I can't find anyone that makes or sells this seatpost?

After visiting almost a handfull of bike shops and looking on the internet the suggestions I've been given are:
  • buy a bigger bike :mad:
  • bore the seatpost and try to fit 26.6 or 26.8 :eek:
  • find a saddle with longer rails - gaining maybe an extra 2-3cm :rolleyes:
Can anyone think of anything else?

MapleDownUnder said:
This is crazy? I can't find anyone that makes or sells this seatpost?

After visiting almost a handfull of bike shops and looking on the internet the suggestions I've been given are:
  • buy a bigger bike :mad:
  • bore the seatpost and try to fit 26.6 or 26.8 :eek:
  • find a saddle with longer rails - gaining maybe an extra 2-3cm :rolleyes:
Can anyone think of anything else?
It really would be beneficial if you were to clarify the components (seatpost & saddle) that are currently on your bike.

Regardless, I was also going to suggest that you:
  • switch to 180mm cranks (really!), and subsequently,
  • lower your saddle
The longer cranks (which you should be able to handle UNLESS you are 5'6" and riding on a bike that is too large for you) will have the same net effect as moving your saddle back a small bit ... of course, you have to lower your saddle, perhaps by slightly MORE than the difference between the 180mm cranks and your current cranks (what length are your current cranks?).

Campagnolo Record, Shimano Dura Ace + XTR & XT are available in 180mm cranks.

Campagnolo seatposts (see, this could be an unnecessary statement since I don't know what is currently on your bike) have almost as much set back as the current Easton seatposts whose set back would satisfy your presumed needs ...

I presume, but don't know since I don't have one, that the mid-80s to mid-90s version of Campagnolo's (generally) "aero" seatposts are similar to Shimano's (only ~1" set back) in that ALL were turned from the same basic billet ... so, if you were to get a 26.8 (or, even a 27.0 or 27.2), you could EASILY reduce the diameter to the necessary diameter and still have a seatpost diameter that falls within spec (heck, I wouldn't be surprised if an 80's vintage, Campagnolo aero wasn't made in the diameter you want ... but, it is just too rare to locate as a loose item in someone's inventory) -- maybe, not. So, try to find an aero Campagnolo seatpost (if only in a picture) and see if the set back is sufficient AND if you can determine if the various sizes were (like the older Nuovo Record seatposts) made from a universal casting.

An option which I do NOT advocate, but I know will result in a similar "fit" is to move your cleats (I'm presuming you're riding with cllipless pedals) back toward the arch -- there was actually a thread about ARCH CLEATS ... I understand the dynamics, but without going into boring detail of a thread I chose NOT to engage in, the particular Swedish rider who uses them should be riding a frame that is at least 5cm larger AND with longer cranks, etc. AND her use of "arch cleats" compensates for her riding a frame that is way too small, IMO.

My seatpost is a generic 26.4 offering about 25mm seatback. My saddle is a Velo - sorry not sure which model?

Rather than trying to bore the frame what about getting a strong 26.6 or 26.8mm seatpost and have it machined down.
I have done this successfully in the past.

You may have to resign yourself to the fact that what you wan't isn't available off the shelf. Personaly I don't think that reaming out the seatpost is a problem unless the metal just isn't there. Measure it and see.

Sounds to me like you are a big guy on a big bike that still just a little too small.

If you wan't to keep on riding that bike then you may just have to talk to an engineering shop to get the seat tube bored out or a seatpost turned down. I've had cranks modified before and sometime if you wan't something done then you just have to get it made/modified.

If you gave us more information on your bike such as crank length, saddle nose to BB setback, top tube length, stem length, saddle height from BB ect, ect we could advise better on fit although that won't get you a seatpost for your current bike.

Regards, Anthony

Success! Thanks to everyone's advice offerred, much appreciated.

After spending $210 (AUS) I've managed to gain the 35mm setback I was looking for.

I bought a new Thomson alloy 26.4 seatpost with roughly 20mm set back - probably 4mm more than my previous and lighter :) and a new specialzed alias 143 saddle with much longer rails which has provided the remaining 15mm.

Now if only the weather would hold up for Sundays ride :rolleyes:

Cheers
Mike

Didn't end up going for my Sunday ride due to my **** weather prediction in the morning...

Planning to go 2moro to make it up!