Don't start out by buying a $5000 bike

Did you buy a new very expensive bike staight og

• Yes, I did

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I got a good secondhand bike before moving into a new, very expensive bike.

Votes: 138 100.0%

• Total voters

Bowyer

Sep 9, 2003
Cycling is my life and these days down when I got out on sunday I see a lot of new riders with very expensive bikes. Now this is a big worry when they have just got into the sport because you never know they might not enjoy it and they might think that it is not for them (trust me it happens all the time). So i and many pro's and masters always say to people just getting into the sport to not just go to the local bike store and pick up a trek with dura-ace and carbon everything, go to web sites that sell secondhand bikes or if your lucky go and ask at a bikestore they have great bikes from $350-$1000 with 300km on them. it is so much more sensible than buying a $5000 bike straight of.

I don't think "might not enjoy it" is the most important reason for not starting out with an expensive bike. The way I see it, starting out with too much of an el-cheapo bike (and I know you said "good secondhand") would be fairly likely to make one not enjoy it.

I bought my first bike in May. I was extremely tempted to start off with a fairly high-level road bike even though I actually needed to learn how to ride first (sad but true ;)). The main thing that stopped me was that as a new rider I wouldn't know enough about what bike characteristics I would want and/or would suit me best, and I needed some cycling skills before I'd be able to evaluate "good bike" alternatives properly.

(For the record, after the bike shop guys more-or-less intimated that I was insane -- which is still more tactful than I would have been -- I ended up buying a second-hand hybrid which I basically consider disposable. I don't regret it, and it was very easy to learn on, but I was really wanting something a lot better after about 6 weeks.)

To me, the bike shop personnel who are pushing the lower end bikes (not junk, just at the lower end of the scale) are just smart business people. When I first ventured into my local bike shop, the sticker shock nearly gave me heart failure. The staff directed me to a couple of lower end options which were well within my budget and not likely to cause cardiac failure at the cash register.

By getting me fitted out on a decent but inexpensive bike, I've had a ball this summer getting back into adult riding and family riding. The bike has largely replaced my car as the primary form of transport. I think touring is going to be my thing in a big way. Next summer, I'll be back at the bike shop, ready to drop a whole big wad of cash on a proper touring bike.

My bike guys knew that when they sold me the less expensive model. They're in this one for the long haul. They've got enough experience to know that sometimes it's a multi-step process. First, get a decent bike under the customer's caboose and then when they find out they love it, they'll be back. The bikes that gave me sticker shock 6 months ago don't look nearly as expensive now because I'm not comparing their cost to another bike. I'm comparing the cost to the purchase and ongoing outlay of another vehicle and the bike wins that race hands down.

My experience getting into cycling seriously. When I started, I found the least expensive road bike aournd (Giant OCR3). It was only after a couple of years of riding that I really understood that (a) I could care less about racing, (b) I really liked longish (60+ miles) rides Saturday morning, and (c) the roads here in North Georgia aren't always perfectly maintained, but they do have some hills. With that knowledge, it was much easier to find a new bike (Litespeed Tuscany) that fits my riding style: traditional rather than compact geometry for more relaxed position, titanium to smooth out the road bumps, and relatively light for the hills. If I'd dropped $3K in the beginning, I might have well ended up with a high end aluminum, compact frame, racing-oriented bike. I'm sure it would have been a fine bike, but it wouldn't have fit me.

It's just like playing a musical instrument: the one that you begin with isn't the one you'll end up with.

I didn't go out and buy a $5000 bike, but I did buy a $2500 bike. I have been riding a nice mountain bike for 12 years and I had a couple of various 10 speeds before that when I was younger. I wanted to get more into road riding and knew what kind of performance and components I wanted, so I picked up a Trek 5200 and I love it. There's nothing wrong getting a nicer bike if you have the means.

The key was going to my LBS and test riding a bunch of bikes and not just once but two or three times a week or more apart. I tested 4 or 5 rides before deciding on the 5200, and I'm happy with it.

Teski

You will only know what you want from a bike after you've had one.

IMO the best bet is to get a decent enough (but not super expensive) bike first up, and then once you've had that for a while you'll understand the subtleties of what each brand of bike type/frame/groupset/etc. has to offer, and make an informed decision on your dream bike.

Although your advice is sensible and is grounded in logic, there are many other variables involved that have a very powerful effect on the final outcome...

Although you say its better to start somewhere down from the very top and work your way up equipment wise, there is a real possibilty that buying something very nice will inspire and even drive you to do more with it.

Another possibility is that the quality/design and execution of top of the line bikes translates to alot of people in reality as top of the line riding experience. I test rode no less than 9 different bikes before settling on the Trek 5200, and not because it was a Trek, but because it was the one bike that felt the best, and believe me, the sticker shock was more than enough to dissuade me.

The decision point was; should I get the much cheaper bike that felt uncomfortable, or the insanely expensive one that felt great!

If a person were to get bike of lesser quality and then quit cycling, there would always be that nagging thought "If the bike had only been a bit better...." as opposed to "cycling just didn't agree with me, and it could NOT have been the equipment I was on, it was the best!"

Isn't there also an issue of resale value or percieved value? If you buy a lesser quality bike, chances are it will be hard to get rid of, or get rid of at a fair price. If you buy a top of the line bike and it had relatively low miles, you would have to beat off all of the ebay buyers with a stick!

I am convinced that, as with all things in life, some people are predisposed to certain activities and turned off by others... Good bike, fair bike, incredible bike, it makes no difference... If the person is not predisposed to cycling, nothing will get them to cycle... The spectrum of quality and cost of the bike will go along way toward fidning that nebulous "edge group" who could fall either way... Having a great ride goes a long way to starting a long and fruitfull pursuit in cycling... and if it doesn't, there are more "escape" routes to recover your loss than if you go the frugal route...

Just my 2 cents :)

Have a good one!

Feanor

Originally posted by Bowyer
Cycling is my life and these days down when I got out on sunday I see a lot of new riders with very expensive bikes. Now this is a big worry when they have just got into the sport because you never know they might not enjoy it and they might think that it is not for them (trust me it happens all the time). So i and many pro's and masters always say to people just getting into the sport to not just go to the local bike store and pick up a trek with dura-ace and carbon everything, go to web sites that sell secondhand bikes or if your lucky go and ask at a bikestore they have great bikes from $350-$1000 with 300km on them. it is so much more sensible than buying a $5000 bike straight of.

i disagree 100%. as a buyer of used cycling equipment, i depend on newbies who buy high end bikes and accessories of which they never use. this floods the market and drives down prices on used equipment. viva la newbie. ;)

Thankyou a lot for all your constructive comments, it is interesting to hear other peoples veiws on this issue

I got interested in this sport when a client/turned friend of mine started telling me about his racing and training. I decided about a month ago that I would like to compete as well. I started asking some of the riders in my area which bike shop was the best and the one that was overwhelmingly recommended was the one I chose.

When I went in to talk to the owner, he was very patient with me, asked a lot of questions about my past/present sports and fitness levels; asked what I liked about competing at that level... Then he proceeded to tell me about the difficulties of racing, the competition I would face and if I decided not to race afterall, do I think I would continue to ride?

THEN, he told me about the bikes that fit in my category! He suggested that I hold off on purchasing one until the new TREK 1500 2004 edition came out because it was "a lot of bike for the money" as he put it. I did wait 3 weeks for a bike and have been EXTREMELY satisfied with it (I've only had it a week!).

When I picked the bike up, he did the fitting and adjusting and then talked to me about the team he is sponsoring for the 2004 racing season! He actually asked me to train with them! I was shocked.

I never felt rushed, never felt like he was pushing a bike on me I couldn't afford, and I felt like he was truly interested in getting me on the bike that fit my objectives!

That was just my experience........everyone should have a local bike shop owner that is that good!

Kim in TN

My two cents worth for someone just starting out:

1. Get fitted by a professional.

2. Describe to the shop attendant a very detailed description of the type of riding you do and listen to her/his recommendations.

3. Go to as many shops as you can looking and testing different bikes of your size, price range.

4. Buy a bicycle with at least a Shimano 105 or a Campy Centuar/Veloce groupo as per the specs that the fitting pro gave you.

Finally, ride with someone. It is always more enjoyable to learn the sport with others rather than alone.

Originally posted by kokopuffs
It's just like playing a musical instrument: the one that you begin with isn't the one you'll end up with.

Amen to that.

You can't tell what kind of bike you will get the most out of till you know yourself as a rider. Do you wnt to climb, ride long distances, race, do errands round town or tour?

Still and all, I would recommend a road bike rather than a hybrid to almost everyone. Something likle the Bianchi Eros is quite decent - or you can go cheaper and still get something good. Ultimately it the nut that holds the seat down that really counts.

Originally posted by ksbell
I got interested in this sport when a client/turned friend of mine started telling me about his racing and training. I decided about a month ago that I would like to compete as well. I started asking some of the riders in my area which bike shop was the best and the one that was overwhelmingly recommended was the one I chose.

When I went in to talk to the owner, he was very patient with me, asked a lot of questions about my past/present sports and fitness levels; asked what I liked about competing at that level... Then he proceeded to tell me about the difficulties of racing, the competition I would face and if I decided not to race afterall, do I think I would continue to ride?

THEN, he told me about the bikes that fit in my category! He suggested that I hold off on purchasing one until the new TREK 1500 2004 edition came out because it was "a lot of bike for the money" as he put it. I did wait 3 weeks for a bike and have been EXTREMELY satisfied with it (I've only had it a week!).

When I picked the bike up, he did the fitting and adjusting and then talked to me about the team he is sponsoring for the 2004 racing season! He actually asked me to train with them! I was shocked.

I never felt rushed, never felt like he was pushing a bike on me I couldn't afford, and I felt like he was truly interested in getting me on the bike that fit my objectives!

That was just my experience........everyone should have a local bike shop owner that is that good!

Kim in TN

that's kind of an unusual way to begin your cycling career. it takes a MINIUMUM of 1 year on the bike before anyone should even remotely consider the idea of racing. first, fitness does not equal bicycle fitness. second, the Crash5s are bad enough without an absolute beginner with almost no skills bumping elbows with you and using the race to learn handling skills. 1 year of group riding is in order to perfect these skills BEFORE you race. it's equally odd that your LBS suggest you train with the team they sponsor unless he's only talking about their recovery rides (and even that is odd). there SHOULD be a huge difference in fitness and talent between a newbie and a veteran. in one year, could improve 10 fold with the right training. hopefully, that's where these racers ARE and where you WILL be in a year or so.

i'm not trying to sound discouraging, i'm just pointing out that most people attempt to become a "cyclist" BEFORE they become a "racer". you have to learn to swim first.

Back to the "too much bike for the rider" argument. No one ever does this with cars. Who in the city NEEDS a Hummer? A Lexus, Audi, BMW, whatever. People buy them becuse they like the ride and have the money to spend on it.
Yeah, some people do it to impress the Jones's, and could get to and fro perfectly well in an old chevy, but if you want driving experience that's above average, it's gonna cost ya.
I just bought a rather expensive first bike, but not until I rode about a dozen models extensively, and compared all the apples to apples, and steel to aluminum to carbon to titanium.
Yeah, the ride is $1,000 difference. My old bones don't rattle and I practically float uphill.
It makes me WANT to get out and ride every day. Plus it's just lovely to look at. If I ever get tired of riding, I'll have it framed.
jh

Originally posted by SquadraSF
i'm not trying to sound discouraging, i'm just pointing out that most people attempt to become a "cyclist" BEFORE they become a "racer". you have to learn to swim first.

You mean I can't pull a Tom Cruise and leap into my Nascar Stock car with no Nascar excperience and win Daytona? Damn...

*laughing*

Just kidding of course... I've only been road cycling for a few months (after years of mountain biking) and I think I would probably ride for a few years before racing formally in any kind of race... If even at all (cycling for me is more about personal fitness these days)

Oh what I wouldn't give to have been bitten by the cycling bug when I was 16!

Have a good one!

Feanor

Geez - we're still in a recession. Who has five grand to blow on a bike that they've never ridden before?

One problem with buying a pricey bike up front, aside from the fact that it makes you a lot richer than me, is you won't really appreciate its finer points, not having lived without them.

I rode a MTB with slicks for close to a season before I finally splurged and built my dream road bike. While it was 'only' $2500, it is such a thrill to get on it and feel the Ferrari like response, the tight handling, the burst of acceleration when standing on the pedals. The precision of the gears shifting quicker, quieter. Hitting a cruising pace, and realizing that you're going 3-5 mph faster. Giving it everything you have on a downhill, and watching the speedo creep into the mid 40's - man, I'm flying!

Things you'd miss if you had not spent time on a lesser bike.

OTOH, if some rich newbie wants to buy a high end Merlin, get bored with it, and sell it to me cheap, so much the better.

Originally posted by Feanor
You mean I can't pull a Tom Cruise and leap into my Nascar Stock car with no Nascar excperience and win Daytona? Damn...

*laughing*

Just kidding of course... I've only been road cycling for a few months (after years of mountain biking) and I think I would probably ride for a few years before racing formally in any kind of race... If even at all (cycling for me is more about personal fitness these days)

Oh what I wouldn't give to have been bitten by the cycling bug when I was 16!

Have a good one!

Feanor

that Tom Cruise line is f/n funny! i think for some folks, that's how they imagine it though. agree on the starting younger bit.... why did i have to enjoy beer soooo much as a youngin'? you never hear anyone say "i discovered alcohol much too late in life... if only i would have started when i was younger!"

have a good one! keep us updated on your progress should you really start to go the way of road racer.

OTOH, if some rich newbie wants to buy a high end Merlin, get bored with it, and sell it to me cheap, so much the better.

ahhhhhhh, at the end of the post, you saw the light! walk toward the light.....:cool:

Originally posted by JohnO
Geez - we're still in a recession. Who has five grand to blow on a bike that they've never ridden before?

--------

Things you'd miss if you had not spent time on a lesser bike.

What better way to pull a nation out of recession than having its citizens increase spending on durable goods? :)

Your arguments have excellent points, but in the larger scheme of things it once again comes down to the individual and the goals involved...

There is no argument that if you rode a no frills steel framed monster for 5 years and then hopped on a Trek Madone you'd be stunned into unconciousness at the difference in performance and what you could do with and on the bike, but on the other side of that coin, Does that mean you'd spend alot more time being more than satisfied with the performance and rest on those laurels? The rider who begins and stays with high end equipment (if they hold the course, will accept the Trek Madone as the reference point and try to _advance_ from there quickly with the notion that this is the way bikes are supposed to be. Meanwhile, you'd be grinning from ear to ear on the same bike thinking "It couldn't get much better than this!" happy for a longer time with the performance.

Now the above scenario pertains mainly to a comparison of two people who's goal is simply to go faster... If the comparison is altered to simply, riding for the fun of it and for the visceral experience, then the relative weight and importance of the external factors like bike choice become far less significant...

I would never fault anyone for buying a $260,000 Lamboghini if they could afford it, hell, if I could afford it I would too! and I'm a crappy driver with bad night vision! But tell you what, I'd be the fastest crappy driver with bad night vision on the freeway! *laughing*

Have a good one!

Feanor