Dura Ace 9 vs 10 spd

Serpiente

Guest
Can anyone tell me how to visually tell the difference between a DA rear
derailleur in 9 versus 10 speed?
Thanks,
Snake

--
Snake
(please reply to [email protected] and remove the bl first!)

Serpiente wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to visually tell the difference between a DA rear
> derailleur in 9 versus 10 speed?
> Thanks,
> Snake
>
> --
> Snake
> (please reply to [email protected] and remove the bl first!)

The main body of the 9s is square, The main body of 10s is not, one
side is shorter than the other. 'Hidden spec'? That is, swap a 10s for
a 9s. Both will work with either, BTW-

Thanks. Okay then, my DA 10 spd rear will not shift onto the smallest
(highest gear) cog. With the chain on the large front chainring, I have
fiddled with cable slack, the H limit screw and the B screw with no result.
Any ideas?

--

Serpiente wrote:
> Thanks. Okay then, my DA 10 spd rear will not shift onto the smallest
> (highest gear) cog. With the chain on the large front chainring, I have
> fiddled with cable slack, the H limit screw and the B screw with no result.
> Any ideas?

Seems to be more common with the 10s rear der-make sure the der hanger
is straight. and the inner wire/housing for the rear der is very clean
and smooth, along with the under BB guide(will it do into the small cog
w/o the cable attached, by just pushing the der up the cogset and
letting go? Whilest pedaling?)

If still no soap, put a 1mm axle spacer onto the bolt that attaches the
der to the frame, moving it out a RCH.....

> --
> Snake
> (please reply to [email protected] and remove the bl first!)
>
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Serpiente wrote:
> >> Can anyone tell me how to visually tell the difference between a DA rear
> >> derailleur in 9 versus 10 speed?
> >> Thanks,
> >> Snake
> >>
> >> --
> >> Snake
> >> (please reply to [email protected] and remove the bl first!)

> > The main body of the 9s is square, The main body of 10s is not, one
> > side is shorter than the other. 'Hidden spec'? That is, swap a 10s for
> > a 9s. Both will work with either, BTW-

Took it to a new shop that's just trying to get going here. The guy is a
whiz. *I* had messed up the wire routing, the little cable clamp washer
with the tooth on it was on the curved (aft) end of the der so I rotated it
90 degrees left (toward the rear wheel) and routed the cable under it there
(as if the tooth needed to keep the cable from slipping out from under the
washer). The tooth should actually be on the aft end of the der with the
cable under the inner (wheel side) part of the washer... Who knew 10s would
be so finicky...

THANKS,

--
Snake
(please reply to [email protected] and remove the bl first!)

> Serpiente wrote:
>> Thanks. Okay then, my DA 10 spd rear will not shift onto the smallest
>> (highest gear) cog. With the chain on the large front chainring, I have
>> fiddled with cable slack, the H limit screw and the B screw with no
>> result.
>> Any ideas?

> Seems to be more common with the 10s rear der-make sure the der hanger
> is straight. and the inner wire/housing for the rear der is very clean
> and smooth, along with the under BB guide(will it do into the small cog
> w/o the cable attached, by just pushing the der up the cogset and
> letting go? Whilest pedaling?)
>
> If still no soap, put a 1mm axle spacer onto the bolt that attaches the
> der to the frame, moving it out a RCH.....
>>
>> --
>> Snake
>> (please reply to [email protected] and remove the bl first!)
>>
>> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > The main body of the 9s is square, The main body of 10s is not, one
>> > side is shorter than the other. 'Hidden spec'? That is, swap a 10s for
>> > a 9s. Both will work with either, BTW-

wrote:

>Took it to a new shop that's just trying to get going here. The guy is a
>whiz. *I* had messed up the wire routing, the little cable clamp washer
>with the tooth on it was on the curved (aft) end of the der so I rotated it
>90 degrees left (toward the rear wheel) and routed the cable under it there
>(as if the tooth needed to keep the cable from slipping out from under the
>washer). The tooth should actually be on the aft end of the der with the
>cable under the inner (wheel side) part of the washer... Who knew 10s would
>be so finicky...
>
>THANKS,

I think all indexed shifting requires the correct cable routing and
proper connection, to work correctly. It is not just a 10s thing.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Serpiente wrote:
> Took it to a new shop that's just trying to get going here. The guy is a
> whiz. *I* had messed up the wire routing, the little cable clamp washer
> with the tooth on it was on the curved (aft) end of the der so I rotated it
> 90 degrees left (toward the rear wheel) and routed the cable under it there
> (as if the tooth needed to keep the cable from slipping out from under the
> washer). The tooth should actually be on the aft end of the der with the
> cable under the inner (wheel side) part of the washer... Who knew 10s would
> be so finicky...

Same for shimano 9s as well. That little plate and the 'tooth' does
need to be 'up'.

In article <REQMf.827576$xm3.122543@attbi_s21>, [email protected] says...

>Can anyone tell me how to visually tell the difference between a DA rear
>derailleur in 9 versus 10 speed?

By the model number stamped on the body. 9spd = 7700 10spd = 7800.
Alex