Eating & Long training rides.

xbgs351

Mar 8, 2004
Most of the cycling literature that I have read recently, suggests that you should eat and drink sports drinks on rides exceeding 2 hours so that you don't deplete your glycogen levels.

I am of the belief that consuming this energy whilst riding over two hours will only teach your body to rely on the external energy supply instead of storing more glycogen and burning more fat.

Following are the reasons that I have come to this understanding:

• A lot of running literature suggests that runners should aim to increase their fat burning ability through regular long slow training runs and keeping their glycogen stores from depleting prematurely during a race by taking in easily digested carbohydrates on the run. If it works for running it should work for cycling.

• When I first start back riding I will bonk after just over 2 hours, but the more I ride the longer it takes for me to bonk. After training for one month I can now comfortably ride over 4 hours without eating .

• My brother comfortably rides 160km eating just two muesli bars. His training partners who eat energy gel style foods the whole way, have noticable energy yo-yos' and tire towards the end of the rides.

xbgs351 said:
Most of the cycling literature that I have read recently, suggests that you should eat and drink sports drinks on rides exceeding 2 hours so that you don't deplete your glycogen levels.

I am of the belief that consuming this energy whilst riding over two hours will only teach your body to rely on the external energy supply instead of storing more glycogen and burning more fat.

Following are the reasons that I have come to this understanding:
  • A lot of running literature suggests that runners should aim to increase their fat burning ability through regular long slow training runs and keeping their glycogen stores from depleting prematurely during a race by taking in easily digested carbohydrates on the run. If it works for running it should work for cycling.
  • When I first start back riding I will bonk after just over 2 hours, but the more I ride the longer it takes for me to bonk. After training for one month I can now comfortably ride over 4 hours without eating .
  • My brother comfortably rides 160km eating just two muesli bars. His training partners who eat energy gel style foods the whole way, have noticable energy yo-yos' and tire towards the end of the rides.
If your training at moderate to high intensities on a regular basis i would reccomend eating or drinking between 50g - 60g of carbohydrates per hour. In theory during racing or any intense rides it will be inpossible to maintain muscle glycogen stores so regular intake of carbohydrates will maintain a steady blood glucose level.

xbgs351 said:

I am of the belief that consuming this energy whilst riding over two hours will only teach your body to rely on the external energy supply instead of storing more glycogen and burning more fat.[/list]

I agree with that belief. During base training early on, I will consume very few calories during my workouts for that reason. However, I believe the negatives much outweigh the positives. Which is why I only do it when duration and intensity is low enough that I can afford to do it. I perform much better relying on external energy supplies. Is it so bad to depend on external energy sources?

NJK said:
If your training at moderate to high intensities on a regular basis i would reccomend eating or drinking between 50g - 60g of carbohydrates per hour. In theory during racing or any intense rides it will be inpossible to maintain muscle glycogen stores so regular intake of carbohydrates will maintain a steady blood glucose level.

I agree. Exerting about 80% of you preceived max. effort you will need to eat and replenish your energy supply. However, if you just ride (I'm guessing) below 60% of perceivd max effort, then you should be ok with some energy bar. This is because when your glycogen diminishes, your muscle will tap in to other sources of fuel - fat. But it takes awhile for fat to be converted to energy. Which is why you have to take it slow on the bike to give time for fat to be converted to energy.

NJK said:

I agree. Exerting about 80% of you preceived max. effort you will need to eat and replenish your energy supply. However, if you just ride (I'm guessing) below 60% of perceivd max effort, then you should be ok with some energy bar. This is because when your glycogen diminishes, your muscle will tap in to other sources of fuel - fat. But it takes awhile for fat to be converted to energy. Which is why you have to take it slow on the bike to give time for fat to be converted to energy.

NJK said: