Equipment For "bike Ms City To Shore" Ride

BobCochran

May 3, 2015
Greetings!

I'm sorry I have not been surfing here for a short time, I was busy.

I signed up for the "Bike MS City to Shore" ride which takes place October 3 and 4 in New Jersey, the USA. I'm doing the 80 miles a day, 2 day ride option so my starting location will be in Cherry Hill.

Since I'm inexperienced and have not done a ride like this in many years (not since the 1980s!), I am wondering what equipment would you advise me to get for my bike that might help me with this specific ride. For example would getting wider tires on the bike help me? Or more puncture-resistant ones, like Continental Gatorskins?

I don't have a bike computer and wonder if I truly need one.

As a ride innocent, I wonder what your advice might be to me.

Thanks a ton

Bob Cochran

It'd help to know what kind of bike - and its status - before trying to answer that.
But at a huge assumption about bike quality, you're probably better off improving the rider rather than the ride.

Reactions: BobCochran
It's good that you are open minded about the tires. I've posted many times on forums that stock tires on bikes are usually where manufactures try to cut back on costs. If you still have the stock tires on your bike, ditch them! When you start doing longer miles, that is when you will start developing problems the most...when you don't need them! :lol: Get some Gatorskins or other good quality tires. Too many riders think this is the word of a bike snob but it is the word of a rider who has been there done that. Last thing you want on a long ride is to find out your tires suck!

I myself buy my tires on line at a much better price than at the bike shops. Bike shops want nearly $60 for a Continental GP4000 while I get them online at $45 or so. Almost 2 for one price. B) I use Pro bike kit or ribble cycles uk .com. Sites are in England but if you spend $100 shipping is free most times.

But install the tires about 2 weeks before the ride to make sure they work well and fit your rims right cause you never know. Which brings another rule of thumb. Never use anything new on a long ride. Don't swap the saddle, clothes, shorts, tires, chains, cassette etc. You want to make sure everything is prove and A OK before the ride so you don't deal with any unwanted surprises. Like a rash on your neck from a new cycling shirt or jersey.

Her is an example of the deals online....2 TWO ....A twin pack of Conti Gatorskin folding tires for $62.19 !!!!!! B)

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/tyres-twinpack-deals-continental-gatorskin-folding-twinpack-2/conttyrf201

As far as a bike computer. I say get one for the ride. Even an inexpensive $20 version. Not to worry about average speed or posting speed of sound world records. But because the turn by turn directions on the organized rides are marked with distances. Left on Martin Way, 2 mile, right on Michael St, 1 mile, right on BillyBob St, .75 miles, right on Cheeesball Dr, .05 miles. Helps keep track of where and when to turn.

Plus most rides have sag stops about every 15-20 miles. Knowing how far between each sag stop helps you gauge your efforts, your water supply etc.

Bring me to another point. Get 2 large water bottles for the ride. Usually more than enough to keep you supplied from sag stop to sag stop with no problems.

As far as other supplies? I bet the ride organizers got that covered.

OH one more thing! On long rides I use Chamois Butter to prevent chaffing from the shorts and saddle. Stuff works great! It's $16 to $20 at local bike shops. Only $12 on line at the same site as the tires. If they have a $75 or $100 free shipping deal, I'll order a tube to drive the price up just enough to meet the minimum for free delivery. ;)

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/embrocation-paceline-products-chamois-buttr/paceembr200

I carry far less on organized rides than an equivalent solo ride. On a charity ride, such as this, there will be plenty of helpful strangers and sag wagons to help out.

Carry the usual ride necessities:
  • Tire inflation kit: spare tube or two, patches, pump and or inflator with extra cartridges, levers if the tires are tight
  • Tire boot
  • Multitool
  • Clothing appropriate for the weather, perhaps a compact poncho if it may rain, sunscreen if sun
  • Water bottles
  • Helmet of course
  • Bike - clean with a freshly lubed chain, adjusted brakes - ready to go condition. (you will be suprised as some of the unbearably squeaky machines some choose to ride.)
Carrying too much will weigh you down and lessen the enjoyment of the ride.

A bike computer is optional, especially on an event like this. There will be so many other riders around it you should be able to find a group that suits your pace and it would take a special effort to get lost.

Bike MS events are well run and their website should have a pretty comprehensive rider guide. The site was easy to find:
http://bikepae.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Bike/PAEBikeEvents?sid=12340&type=fr_informational&pg=informational&fr_id=25223

Thanks dabac, Mr. Beanz and maydog!

@dabac I'm riding a Giant FCR Alliance purchased new in 2009.

The bike is in good shape but I'm inclined to think replacing the tires with Gatorskins is a real good idea and so is getting a bike computer. Those suggestions resonate really well with me. I have long felt there must be better tires than the ones I have. I've never felt deep love for my current tires. I also think it will be a great idea to replace the brake pads and get a chain cleaning and lube done.

The "Bike MS" organizers do require a "bike inspection", and I will have my local bike shop perform the inspection and correct any defects or problems. I want to comply with the rules.

@maydog, thanks for the suggestions. You are saying travel light but use common sense and consider the weather and possible flats, and that resonates well with me too. I will work to make sure I have a nice quiet bike and I don't disturb others. Courtesy and safety are my watchwords.

Thanks a ton.

Further suggestions are all welcome.

Bob

Listen up, world! This here bicycling innocent just went to the local bicycling shop and bought a Cateye Strada Cadence bike computer, the model CC-RD200 to be precise. The young man in the shop had to wipe dust off the packaging for the computer, but I cheerfully put down my money. He felt I needed a new chain for my Bike MS ride, too. So I now have a new SRAM chain. I suppose I need to clean my chain more often. The chain that was replaced was installed this past May. I wish the young man had checked to make sure the chain wasn't rubbing the front derailleur when it is on the biggest chainring, but I can make him fix that my next visit.

So I'm listening to all of you folks.

Thanks a ton

Bob

Pardon me for my interruption, @BobCochran, I have no advice to give you . I'm just amused (I wonder if that is the correct word) with this thread. That 80 miles a day caught my eyes. Gee, that's a big number because we use the kilometer here that is 1.6 to a mile. That's big league you are into and I'm really, really admire you for that. Good luck and I hope you can finish the ride with flying colors and post some pictures here.

@Corzhens, thank you so much for your good wishes. 80 miles is a big number to me, too! I ask myself "has my sanity left me?"

I will be sure to post some pictures, or find a way to share pictures with everyone. The ride event itself is October 3 and 4 (Eastern Time, in the USA) and I need to be there the day before so I can get a good night of sleep before the ride.

I would be very pleased to see pictures of your rides. They do not need to be of organized bicycle ride events. Any pictures you can post of any rides would greatly interest me. I do not know anything of your country and every picture teaches me a lot.

Thanks so much!

Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
@Mr. Beanz, I am waiting with great excitement for my own tube of Chamois Butt'r. It should arrive in the mail in a few days. That will help me get through the 80 miles each day with less in the way of butt blisters.

Next task: set my solar panel up so I can charge my cell phone from it while I ride. Put the real estate on my Topeak saddle bag to use! I have a small 6 watt solar panel from Voltaic that I think will do the trick, but I can get a higher wattage panel if I need to.

Thanks a ton -- I really appreciate your advice about the Chamois Butt'r and bike computer.

Bob

BobCochran said:
Thanks a ton -- I really appreciate your advice about the Chamois Butt'r and bike computer.
Ha! You'll probably get spoiled like me. I used to only use it on rides of 20 or more but now I hate to ride without it. :lol:

Actually I get a body creme called Udderly Smooth from Walmart or similar places. Only $4 a tub and good enough for mid week 10 milers. I save the good stuff for longer weekend rides.

Plus on long rides, I carry a little film case (you know, little black canisters for old time film). Actually mine are the canisters for diabetes test strips. I place a few dabs of chamois butter in there and take it along for a touch up midway through the ride. I put the canister in a baggy before placing in seat pack to avoid messes. B)

@Mr. Beanz, I'm planning to convert to better tires too, but I will do that after the Bike MS ride. I want to switch to Continental Gatorskins or the equivalent. I'm just thinking new tires might require an adjustment period (of me, I mean, to get used to them) and I'm remembering your advice not to do anything in the way of new equipment just before an event.

And yes -- I'm going to put a half-ounce or so of the Chamois Butt'r in a small squeeze bottle and take it with me on the ride.

Thanks a ton

Bob

Tires won't require an adjustment period. Unless you are going from 26 X 2 wide mountain bike tires to 700 x 23 road bike tires. But that would require swapping out bikes too.

700 x 23 to 700 x 25 or 700 X 28 isn't much different at all. I just make sure to get in a week or so, 2 or 3 rides to make sure they stay seated properly.

But I order my tires on line Ribble cycles uk dot com or probike kit dot com for great prices. You need 10 or so business days for delivery so that would put you behind at this point.

But heck, get tires for $45 vs $80 at bike shops if you plan ahead. I usually order one or two extras so that I never have to be put ion a spot of bother. B)

I would go to an aimless endless ride until stuff starts to hurt and take note of them.

For me its the back of my neck that usually starts complaining after a while... So I would might need a handle bar adjustment.

Padded gloves, padded shorts... Packable wind proof jacket. Some snacks maybe.

Also check what kind of support is gonna be given from the organizer.

If you wanna get some ideas about long multi day rides, check what people get for 300km Audax Rides.

Although Audax is always self sufficient you can just remove the items that are provided by the support vehicle.

I would definitely get some music... ;)

@Mr. Beanz, my tube of Chamois Butt'r arrived today. The really funny thing is, a dear friend of mine gave me a small 9 ml packet of it, too, so I applied it very liberally on my bottom after today's training ride for the Bike MS event. I'm testing it now on my desk chair. (Smile.) I'll do another liberal application tomorrow morning before I ride to my office, and see how riding with it feels to me. Thanks a ton for the excellent advice.

@Volnix, these "Bike MS" events seem to be a major deal: they are fully supported with rest stops every 15 miles, SAG vehicles, volunteers (including amateur radio operators to provide communications), lots of sponsors, and for all I know mobile toilets, doctors, nurses, hospitals and burgers'n'fries. This is my first event of this nature. I am but a baby and have a lot to learn.

The ride organizers sent me an information packet. Among the warnings is an express ban on headphones since they are against the law in New Jersey.

Bob

Find someone to talk to then... 160km can become deadly boring...

What kind of Tires are you gonna use?

Volnix said:
160km can become deadly boring...
If that is the case, you are riding the wrong routes. I cannot recall ever being bored on a ride.

With these charity rides there are a lot of distractions to keep you engaged. The social aspect is one of the primary reasons to participate - plugging in shuts that out and seriously detracts from the event.

maydog said:
If that is the case, you are riding the wrong routes. I cannot recall ever being bored on a ride.

With these charity rides there are a lot of distractions to keep you engaged. The social aspect is one of the primary reasons to participate - plugging in shuts that out and seriously detracts from the event.

Even better then... But 160km alone with no music or something... Don't care if there are leopard patterned unicorns hopping around with Swedish gurls handing out joints every 70km or something...