Everybody uses carbon...let's use....

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
> WOOD

Dutch influence in bike tech.

> Was it Duegi that made a very narrow soft upper leather shoe with a full
> wood sole in the early 80's? That was stiff

There were a number of wood-soled shoes in the mid-70s, including... darn.
Having a brain malfunction and can't remember the name of the shoes I wore
back then. But they were wood-soled and not Duegis.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
"Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>> WOOD
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...erbike07/interbike0710/Northwave_wood_midsole

> Was it Duegi that made a very narrow soft upper leather shoe with a full
> wood sole in the early 80's? That was stiff
>
> Gary Jacobson
> Rosendale, NY

"Gary Jacobson" wrote: Was it Duegi that made a very narrow soft upper
leather shoe with a full wood sole in the early 80's? That was stiff
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you want a bike that has high compliance and is stiff, use a wood-leather
composite.

On Oct 8, 11:06 am, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "Gary Jacobson" wrote: Was it Duegi that made a very narrow soft upper
>
> leather shoe with a full wood sole in the early 80's? That was stiff
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> If you want a bike that has high compliance and is stiff, use a wood-leather
> composite.

The leather damps the road buzz coming up through the stiff wooden
sole. ;-)

wrote:
> "Gary Jacobson" wrote: Was it Duegi that made a very narrow soft upper
>
> leather shoe with a full wood sole in the early 80's? That was stiff
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> If you want a bike that has high compliance and is stiff, use a wood-leather
> composite.

The leather damps the road buzz coming up through the stiff wooden
sole. ;-)

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Was it Duegi that made a very narrow soft upper leather shoe with a full
> > wood sole in the early 80's? That was stiff

> There were a number of wood-soled shoes in the mid-70s, including... darn.
> Having a brain malfunction and can't remember the name of the shoes I wore
> back then. But they were wood-soled and not Duegis.
>
> --Mike--
> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReaction.com
> "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]...
> >> WOOD

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...erbike07/interbike0710/Northwave_wood_midsole

> > Was it Duegi that made a very narrow soft upper leather shoe with a full
> > wood sole in the early 80's? That was stiff
> >
> > Gary Jacobson
> > Rosendale, NY

We used to use Detto Pietro shoes in the sixties in New York. We had to nail
the aluminum cleats in place. Anyone remember them as well??

Bruce

On Oct 8, 12:06 pm, "Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > > Was it Duegi that made a very narrow soft upper leather shoe with a full
> > > wood sole in the early 80's? That was stiff

> > There were a number of wood-soled shoes in the mid-70s, including... darn.
> > Having a brain malfunction and can't remember the name of the shoes I wore
> > back then. But they were wood-soled and not Duegis.

> > --Mike--
> > Chain Reaction Bicycles
> >www.ChainReaction.com
> > "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> > > "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > > messagenews:[email protected]...

> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/shows/interbike07/index.p...
>

> > > Was it Duegi that made a very narrow soft upper leather shoe with a full
> > > wood sole in the early 80's? That was stiff

> > > Gary Jacobson
> > > Rosendale, NY

> We used to use Detto Pietro shoes in the sixties in New York. We had to nail
> the aluminum cleats in place. Anyone remember them as well??
>
> Bruce

The Dettos are the ones I remember; beautifully finished wooden soles.

On Oct 8, 6:37 am, "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
> messagenews:[email protected]...
>
> > WOOD

> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/shows/interbike07/index.p...

> Was it Duegi that made a very narrow soft upper leather shoe with a full
> wood sole in the early 80's? That was stiff

Great shoes -- birch soles. The wood was not consistently strong,
though, and you could get a pair that would last forever, or you could
get a pair (or one) that broke after a few hundred miles.

Another good thing about the Duegis is that they came with a bolt-on
cleat -- a conventional slotted cleat, but one that you did not have
to nail on. It was among the first to do that, and then all the nylon
sole shoes came along.

Also, I don't think that the Detto's had wood soles. I think they
were straight leather. I had some straight leather soles -- I think
Dettos -- which were like old baseball shoes. I also had a pair of
Italias that had steel stiffeners.

The Duegis were the first (and only) single "component" that made a
big difference in power output (or perceived power output). You can
drop a bundle on a light saddle, or post or pedals, but that will not
make the same kind of day and night difference I expereinced when I
switched from leather soles to wood soles. -- Jay Beattie.

> We used to use Detto Pietro shoes in the sixties in New York. We had to nail
> the aluminum cleats in place. Anyone remember them as well??
>
> Bruce

Yes I do, alas.

Art. 74

Gary Jacobson wrote:
> Was it Duegi that made a very narrow soft upper leather shoe with a full
> wood sole in the early 80's? That was stiff

Yep that's the one. Some riders (our attorney f'rinstance) are still
looking for those. Sadly, after 40, one's feet grow and the old shoes
get tight.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On 8 Ott, 18:59, Ozark Bicycle
> The leather damps the road buzz coming up through the stiff wooden
> sole. ;-)

The all leather shoes I made and have been using everyday since about
six years ago still make a creaking sound when the weather is very
dry.
To scare the riders I occasionally ride with:
'Are your tubes pulling out of the lugs, by any chance?'

Sergio
Pisa

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 05:42:30 -0700, "Qui si parla
Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

>WOOD
>
>http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2...erbike07/interbike0710/Northwave_wood_midsole

Dear Peter,

I wonder why they think wood offers "better heat dissipation."

My first reaction was that wood is known for _not_ dissipating heat,
which is why we put it between our hands and hot kitchen pots, pans,
and kettles.

But then I wondered if the marketers might be right? What if wood,
wonderful insulator though it is, isn't as good as the rubber and
canvas in shoes?

Surely some of our Dutch posters should know if wooden shoes are
hotter or colder than normal shoes.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On 8 Ott, 21:43, [email protected] wrote:

> Surely some of our Dutch posters should know if wooden shoes are
> hotter or colder than normal shoes.

Dearest Carl,
what's a normal soe, anyhow?

I know well that my swedish friend used to wear scandinavian clogs
even on the fiercest winter days in NY City (with wool socks, to be
sure).

Sergio
Pisa