Favorite Rider

Who is your favorite rider riding today?

• Lance Armstrong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Ullrich

Votes: 114 62.3%
  • Johan Museeuw

Votes: 47 25.7%
  • Marco Pantani

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 12 6.6%

• Total voters

hodagbiker

May 18, 2003
Who is your favorite rider riding today?

Lance Armstrong

Jan Ullrich

Johan Museeuw

Marco Pantani

Other

I certainly choose Museeuw. But your list is a little short. What about Bettini, Boogert, Bartoli, Zabel, Garzelli, van Petegem, Cipollini, ...

You are correct! I just put a few riders down that popped into my head. With the exception of Armstrong, I also love Museeuw. He is a real hard man in the sport, and will go down as one of the greatest ever.

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and I vote Pantani.

Cycling has been full of characters over the years whose problems off the bike have been offset by their talent on it.

(A bit like me!!)

Before Marco there was Claudio Chiappucci whose palmares was comparable with Gianni Bugno, but is much more fondly remembered.

I also enjoyed Gilles Delion who rode for Helvetia and Big Mat years ago, because he really had to battle some demons.

Keen to hear your thoughts.

I think they're all marvellous..but to choose one, Stuart O'Grady.
A good Australian boy. Roll on Le Tour!

Well obviously there are tons of people you can choose. It probably would have been a better question to just ask of these riders who is your favorite...or just ask the question and not have a poll. I think i vote for cipo though. I am american so i guess i should go for lance, but i feel bad for cipo and he is so entertaining. The all yellow strip in the tour and being a great sprinter for so long is cool, plus sprinters are cool.

OK, for those in the poll, apart from 'other', I'd go for Lance. As it is pretty unlikely Stuart O'Grady is going to win the tour this year, I personally would like to see Lance make it 5.

Having said that I agree about the Lion King. I enjoy seeing big Mario wearing where is his knicks in the wrong colour, collecting fines and just generally being the interesting and exciting figure he is. The racing is never boring, but he adds that more colour and interest.

I'll also add that Mario makes for a good sprint. If anyone saw the battles to get on his wheel in the giro you know why he is so good for the race.

Pantani...how did he make the list? Is he even a factor in racing today?

My favorite Pantani moment is EVERY time he has his butt handed to him on a climb and then pulls out the next day with a stomach ailment!

He has become a parody of himself and needs to move on to other hobbies!

Now on to the real racers:
Armstrong for certain, but what about Tyler Hamilton or George Hincapie? Both GREAT racers who have done their fair share of helping other greats win titles and they still maintain a friendly manner.

I saw Tyler Hamilton after a race at the 2000 Olympics. He came across really well, acknowledging the crowd..quite friendly. Jaja ignored everyone in the crowd, but he is French so I suppose you would expect that, and I won't hold that against him. Lance did too, but I know a few people who met him and were very impressed. Jan waved to the crowd, the crowd roared..loved it! It would be an experience to see the racing in Europe for that atmosphere!

But all round people like Tyler and George, on TV and in interviews, appear to be decent types..people who can be admired, apart from their great talent.

nice to see the most of ppl voted for Lance!reading some of ur messages guys,it looks like everyone was hoping to find a Lance's rival for this year's Tour.

So Lance is a great climber and a great rider and I have a lot of respect for him, but sometimes we like the riders we can identify with most...

Alessandro Petacchi - Have you people seen that boy sprint?!! Some reporters claim he is the next Mario...I like him because I can't climb to save my life, but boy do I love a good sprint.. we'll keep an eye on him for the next year or 3 :D

Jan Ullrich earned a lot of respect this Tour. Armstrong had it already. But where is Vino? Or Beloki... man, I miss Beloki in the Pyrenees.

Erik Dekker!!!

Great Dutch rider from Rabobank. Four times Tour-stage winner, alwasy attacking in flat(ter) stages and the Classics!

Armstrong for sure, it's very inspiring to see somone come back from cancer and ride like he does. Also, Lemond he came back from being shot and won the TDF with something like 20 shotgun pellets still in his body. I like 'em both.

Originally posted by mjolnir2k
Pantani...how did he make the list? Is he even a factor in racing today?

So harsh, the man is a tdf winner and a great cyclist. His problems and injuries make him more of a champion to me, I hope he can come back again.

Any rider whose character from off the bike shows whilst he is on it, can be classed as special... Duclos-Lasalle and Udo Bolts for example.

After my father passing away from cancer and my mother having a mastectomy, it can't be anyother than Lance. It's an icon for me, and a reason to keep on going without dispair. It doesn't make the others any lesser riders though. They are great riders as well...

of those selection, it's got to be Johan Musseauw

i have a soft spot for the whole of the aussie contingent but my favourites would be Stuart O'Grady and Robbie McEwen

also Paolo Bettini is another rider i particularly like

My favourite rider is not on the list and now is retired. Being from Canada we do not have many riders to look up to. The one I met, talked to and rode with helped me along. Sure he was a track cyclist, but knew the politics of Canada racing. Was always willing to speak to other cyclist. Help if possible, was well liked and a great man. He is Curt Harnett and a great racer in his own right