Felt F55 Owners - Headset Issues !!

skareb1986

Sep 6, 2004
Hey guys,

Ive recently accquired a brand new Felt F55, it was an awesome machine during the 1st 4 days. Until i started hearing nasty creaking sounds from the headtube area. The creaks are most obvious when i apply my front brakes or do some hard pedalling uphill, ive also managed to hear the creaking noises when i lock my front brake and rock the bike front and back. Initially i suspected that this might be an issue with a faulty/ badly installed headset. In the past 2 weeks i have returned about 6 times to the LBS whom i purchased this bike from, and they too have re-fitted my headset bearings, expander, multiple times. Unfortunately the sound is usually back to haunt me merely just 1 - 2 days after it has been re-install. This is awfully depressing as i'am really clueless on what the problem might be, could simillar owners of the F55 comment if they have a simillar experience ? its upsetting that a brand new bike should have these sort of problems. Need help quick ! :(

Jonathan

Check the wheel bearings. I've had customers complain of what they thought was chronic headset creaking only to find that it was actually the wheel bearings making the noise.

ToffoIsMe said:
Check the wheel bearings. I've had customers complain of what they thought was chronic headset creaking only to find that it was actually the wheel bearings making the noise.

What he said plus........some creaks can be bastages to track down, and creaking can come from places you wouldn't expect. I'd also check to make sure you've sufficiently tightened your QR's. Putting grease on the dropouts and the cam of the QR is one way to rule that source out. The grease won't affect the clamping force. It also wouldn't hurt for the mechanic to grease the bearing seats in the head tube.

What kind of wheels do you have? Some wheels have adjustable bearing preload. Some don't. If yours have adjustable preload, it could be the preload is too low.

Just headed down to the bikeshop again ... yes for the 7th time in 2 weeks :eek:

The bike mechanic replaced the current expander for a new one and regreased the top & bottom headset bearings, fork steerer has also been inspected (no cracks), so far there isnt any sound when i rock the bike front and back, however i'am not sure how long this would last...i will look into greasing those QR's too.... oh yea i'am using the 07's mavic askium race ...

skareb1986 said:
Just headed down to the bikeshop again ... yes for the 7th time in 2 weeks :eek:

The bike mechanic replaced the current expander for a new one and regreased the top & bottom headset bearings, fork steerer has also been inspected (no cracks), so far there isnt any sound when i rock the bike front and back, however i'am not sure how long this would last...i will look into greasing those QR's too.... oh yea i'am using the 07's mavic askium race ...

Have the guy OVH both hubs, including grease around the axles. These hubs are prone to lots of noise.

Peter@vecchios said:
Have the guy OVH both hubs, including grease around the axles. These hubs are prone to lots of noise.

That noise is one of the Mavic performance advantages.

Peter@vecchios said:
If the hubs, QR's, etc. might be the cause, wouldn't be easy enough to try a different front wheel and/or QR to see if the noise goes away or changes?

i will regrease them wheels and hubs. But i highly doubt that they are the source of the problem, i have since changed the headset expander (CF steerer), so far no creaking noise, it has been only 100km thought, we will see how it goes, i hope my headtube isnt ovalised .... :( since the creaking noises always seem to return after awhile... drats

I had a similar problem although not on a Felt.

If you are using any carbon spacers below the stem, it could be worth applying a light smear of grease or Vaseline to the top and bottom surfaces of each spacer (where it contacts the one above or below). While the outside of the spacer will be nice and smooth with a lacquered finish, the contact surface can be very dry because it is not finished the same.

Worked for me...:)

alienator said:
That noise is one of the Mavic performance advantages.
Mavic performance? Like the ability to crack easily? Or the ability to be overpriced?