Finally I Meet An Intelligent Mountain Biker

nmp wrote:
> Dana Myers wrote:
>
>> Leo Lichtman wrote:
>>> "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" wrote: No - i don't want to
>>> hear some biker telling me to get outta the way. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> You find, "On your left, please," abrasive or pushy?

>> Apparently, he/she prefers a horn blast to a polite "on your left".
>> Odd.

> Spoken signals, even as polite as that, can be confusing. Just a little
> ping from a regular bicycle bell is instantly recognised by many people
> around the world as a sign that a cyclist is coming from behind.

I frankly think a spoken signal, even one in a language not
understood by the listener, is better than a brief ding. The reason
is - it's an audible signal that someone is present, and the length
of the signal is more likely to convey sense of speed and direction.

The listener may not understand the words, but they'll know where
it's coming from and how quickly it's closing.

That is, as long as the listener isn't blasting the tunes...

Dana

On Oct 17, 3:12 pm, Dana Myers <[email protected]> wrote:
> Leo Lichtman wrote:
> > "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" wrote: No - i don't want to hear
> > some biker telling me to get outta the way.
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > You find, "On your left, please," abrasive or pushy?

> Apparently, he/she prefers a horn blast to a polite
> "on your left". Odd.

Such hyperbole. The rest of the world uses bike bells because they're
sort of a universal sound. The bike goes ding ding, the car goes beep
beep, the cow goes moo, etc. Can't think of any country where people
use words instead of the proper tool, outside of north America.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:01:29 GMT, "Sir Thomas of Cannondale"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I carry a boat horn. Very, very loud.
>What I like to do is sneak up on the poor victim. Get very close .. then
>let em have it.
>
>Scares the **** out of em.
>
>======================
>"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message news:[email protected]...
>> Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realized it
>> was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why most bikers don't
>> have a bell or horn on their bike to use when overtaking a hiker or when
>> coming around a sharp curve. It doesn't have to be something that will
>> wake
>> the dead; just something loud enough to hear 30 feet away.

I have a bell on all but maybe two of my bikes. It's the law. Besides
being a talisman against a hassle bust they're sometimes fun to ring
just for the joy of it.

I'd be less inclined to have one on a bike used exclusively off-road.
Since many bikes are driven to a trail access point before the rider
mounts it, it doesn't need a bell to be legal.
Were I expecting to encounter bears, skunks or hikers along the
trail, I'd probably have a bell on that bike too.

A squealing front brake works very well around pedestrians as does a
bell. I find verbalised warnings less effective. Pedestrians tend to
move left if you say "on your left". Many of them don't know their
left from their right, nor do they immediately comprehend a warning
spoken in the English language.

Stuck on a bike without a bell, I like saying "Gucci, Gucci, Gucci"
instead of imitating a bell. Another surprisingly audible,
inoffensive neutral universal warning is to hiss with a prolonged S.

For communicating with the stunned caged scum who plague our roads,
I've no qualms about using an air horn when circumstances warrant.

My 120 dB AirZound has stopped a Lexus and a Jeep but I don't feel
it's expressive enough. Like today verbalising, "stay there you
disgusting chunk of monkey snot", had the desired results when some
stunned puke would have deliberately right hooked me at a light had I
been the slightest bit acquiescent or intimidated by his scud.
--
zk

"Zoot Katz" wroe: (clip) "stay there you disgusting chunk of monkey snot",
had the desired results (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
He was probably sitting there trying to figure out what it was you were
shouting.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 06:34:52 +0000, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS
wrote:

> Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realized it
> was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why most bikers don't
> have a bell or horn on their bike to use when overtaking a hiker or when
> coming around a sharp curve. It doesn't have to be something that will wake
> the dead; just something loud enough to hear 30 feet away.

I've used one for 15 years. Bells are so much cheerier than, "On your
left!"

Matt O.

Dana Myers wrote:
>Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>> Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and realized it
>> was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why most bikers don't
>> have a bell or horn on their bike to use when overtaking a hiker or when
>> coming around a sharp curve.

>You don't think a verbal greeting is at least as effective as a
>little bell?

He's referred to as "tinkerbell" at the bath houses for a multitude of
reasons.

--

"Speeders And Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS" brags of it's homosexuallity:
the guys at the bath-house stopped laughing at my 3 inch weenie.

"Speeders And Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS" brags of it's ability to operate a vehicle:
I must be doing something right to go 3 1/2 years without a fatal crash.
: http://groups.google.com/group/misc.transport.road/msg/a376114ee8a61824?hl=en

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>Dana Myers <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>>> Was walking along a trail and heard a bell sound behind me and
>>> realized it was a biker and moved over. I've pondered for years why
>>> most bikers don't have a bell or horn on their bike to use when
>>> overtaking a hiker or when coming around a sharp curve.

>> You don't think a verbal greeting is at least as effective as a
>> little bell?
>>
>> Dana
>>

>No - i don't want to hear some biker telling me to get outta the way.

Please, don't get out of their way. Preferably if that biker is
driving a Harley.

--

Leo Lichtman wrote:

>"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" wrote: No - i don't want to hear
>some biker telling me to get outta the way.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>You find, "On your left, please," abrasive or pushy?

Actually, he finds it beyond his ability to comprehend.

--

Dana Myers wrote:
>Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>> Dana Myers <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:

>>> You don't think a verbal greeting is at least as effective as a
>>> little bell?
>>>
>>> Dana
>>>

>> No - i don't want to hear some biker telling me to get outta the way.

>So you'd prefer a blast of a horn instead? I didn't think
>you made sense to begin with, now I *know* you don't.
>
>Dana

Just wait.

--

landotter wrote:
> Can't think of any country where people
> use words instead of the proper tool, outside of north America.

Does the United Nations General Assembly count?

On Oct 17, 5:31 pm, nmp <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dana Myers wrote:
> > Leo Lichtman wrote:
> >> "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" wrote: No - i don't want to
> >> hear some biker telling me to get outta the way. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> You find, "On your left, please," abrasive or pushy?

> > Apparently, he/she prefers a horn blast to a polite "on your left".
> > Odd.

> Spoken signals, even as polite as that, can be confusing. Just a little
> ping from a regular bicycle bell is instantly recognised by many people
> around the world as a sign that a cyclist is coming from behind.

Hmm. I don't doubt that the bell is instantly recognized by many
people. Unfortunately, I seem to encounter the many _other_ people
who don't recognize it!

Oh well. I try to stay off most multi-user paths anyway. And when
I'm on one, I eventually get by the walkers one way or another.

- Frank Krygowski

Dana Myers wrote:

> nmp wrote:
>> Dana Myers wrote:

>>> Apparently, he/she prefers a horn blast to a polite "on your left".
>>> Odd.

>> Spoken signals, even as polite as that, can be confusing. Just a little
>> ping from a regular bicycle bell is instantly recognised by many people
>> around the world as a sign that a cyclist is coming from behind.

> I frankly think a spoken signal, even one in a language not understood
> by the listener, is better than a brief ding. The reason is - it's an
> audible signal that someone is present, and the length of the signal is
> more likely to convey sense of speed and direction.
>
> The listener may not understand the words, but they'll know where it's
> coming from and how quickly it's closing.

If I use my bell, with its distinctive sound, I see people moving to the
right of the path for me to pass. If I use my voice, I see them not
reacting at all, because they were engaged in conversation already and
are not paying attention. If they do react, they ask: "Heb je geen
bel?" :)

(transl.: don't you have a bell)

> That is, as long as the listener isn't blasting the tunes...

On the bike paths in The Netherlands it is a different species that you
have to be alert for. They are the retired Gazelle riding crowd, hard of
hearing, slow of wit, always riding two abreast and with an enormous
sense of entitlement.

frkrygow wrote:

> On Oct 17, 5:31 pm, nmp <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dana Myers wrote:

>> > Apparently, he/she prefers a horn blast to a polite "on your left".
>> > Odd.

>> Spoken signals, even as polite as that, can be confusing. Just a little
>> ping from a regular bicycle bell is instantly recognised by many people
>> around the world as a sign that a cyclist is coming from behind.

> Hmm. I don't doubt that the bell is instantly recognized by many
> people. Unfortunately, I seem to encounter the many _other_ people who
> don't recognize it!

Damn, I thought I was the only one who did encounter them from time to
time :)

But in those cases it seems to me you still have other options.

> Oh well. I try to stay off most multi-user paths anyway. And when I'm
> on one, I eventually get by the walkers one way or another.

Of course, you always do, because in that case there is no alternative.

nmp wrote:
> Dana Myers wrote:

>> The listener may not understand the words, but they'll know where it's
>> coming from and how quickly it's closing.

> If I use my bell, with its distinctive sound, I see people moving to the
> right of the path for me to pass. If I use my voice, I see them not
> reacting at all, because they were engaged in conversation already and
> are not paying attention. If they do react, they ask: "Heb je geen
> bel?" :)
>
> (transl.: don't you have a bell)

Apparently, there's a cultural difference at play here.
In my (admittedly limited) experience, people sharing
multi-use paths here in California are unaccustomed to
hearing bike-bells and seem to typically just seem to be
startled and jump forward when they hear a bell tinkle
(though I do not have a bell, I've seen a few riders
use them with the above results).

Calling out "on your left" seems to be more effective in
politely moving pedestrians to the right without startling
them.

Then there are the families of 8 that wander all over the
path that turn and look at you regardless of whether you
use a bell or speak, and then wander right in front of you
anyway.

Dana

Dana Myers wrote:

> Calling out "on your left" seems to be more effective in
> politely moving pedestrians to the right without startling
> them.

I find that more than half of them will turn and even move TO THEIR LEFT if
you bark out an order like that. With or without a ding-ding-type bell,
I'll slow down enough to stop if necessary and say something
/conversational/ like, "I'm going to pass on your left side". Almost always
works perfectly.

Bill "a little courtesy goes a long way" S.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Dana Myers wrote:
>
>> Calling out "on your left" seems to be more effective in
>> politely moving pedestrians to the right without startling
>> them.

> I find that more than half of them will turn and even move TO THEIR LEFT if
> you bark out an order like that. With or without a ding-ding-type bell,
> I'll slow down enough to stop if necessary and say something
> /conversational/ like, "I'm going to pass on your left side". Almost always
> works perfectly.

So, you're saying things work better when you swing to the left?

Dana Myers wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> Dana Myers wrote:
>>
>>> Calling out "on your left" seems to be more effective in
>>> politely moving pedestrians to the right without startling
>>> them.

>> I find that more than half of them will turn and even move TO THEIR
>> LEFT if you bark out an order like that. With or without a
>> ding-ding-type bell, I'll slow down enough to stop if necessary and
>> say something /conversational/ like, "I'm going to pass on your left
>> side". Almost always works perfectly.

> So, you're saying things work better when you swing to the left?

Well, I did say /almost/ always.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Dana Myers wrote:
>> Bill Sornson wrote:

>>> I find that more than half of them will turn and even move TO THEIR
>>> LEFT if you bark out an order like that. With or without a
>>> ding-ding-type bell, I'll slow down enough to stop if necessary and
>>> say something /conversational/ like, "I'm going to pass on your left
>>> side". Almost always works perfectly.

>> So, you're saying things work better when you swing to the left?

> Well, I did say /almost/ always.

;-)

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:56:16 -0700, frkrygow wrote:

> On Oct 17, 5:31 pm, nmp <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Spoken signals, even as polite as that, can be confusing. Just a little
>> ping from a regular bicycle bell is instantly recognised by many people
>> around the world as a sign that a cyclist is coming from behind.

> Hmm. I don't doubt that the bell is instantly recognized by many
> people. Unfortunately, I seem to encounter the many _other_ people who
> don't recognize it!

It's probably not as well recognized as it used to be, now that a whole
generation has grown up *not* riding bicycles.

Spoken signals are great, as long as they're polite. Too many riders are
constantly barking orders at pedestrians. It's embarrassing to ride with
these people.

It's sad that so many pedestrians feel the need to scurry out of the way,
completely off the trail, to let cyclists go by. Why is this sad?
Because:

* So many people are unfamiliar enough with bicycles to fear them

* Cyclists have probably exacerbated the problem by riding irresponsibly
around pedestrians -- passing too fast, too close, etc.

Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:

> I have a bell on all but maybe two of my bikes. It's the law. Besides
> being a talisman against a hassle bust they're sometimes fun to ring
> just for the joy of it.

I haven't used my bell for a long time. I guess
that's because I haven't cut through Central Park
(in Burnaby, BC) for a long time.

Sometimes while in there, I've had a bit o' fun
just silently pacing along at a safe distance
behind pedestrians, and seeing how long it
takes before they notice I'm there. My clicky
Shimano freewheel always eventually gives my
presence away.

The last few times I used my rubber bulb horn were
to honk thank-yous to drivers who gave me breaks,
and to show my support for striking CUPE workers.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.