Fixed Gear - Chain Questions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kalukis, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Kalukis

    Kalukis Guest

    Now that I have my fixed gear -- a Bianchi Pista (for all of
    20 hours), a couple of questions.

    1. How do you get the rear wheel off? Do they all have
    master links?

    2. I hear people talking about have two different gears - on
    on each side of the wheel. Sure enough, my bike does
    appear to have both sides threaded for a fixed gear 2a.
    What is needed to put a new gear on the other side - a
    cog and a lock ring? 2b. What about chain length? I
    suppose that the vertical drop outs are long enough for
    some different in gear diameter, but how much room for
    different gears do you practically have? I've got a 16
    cog on the gear right now and I'd like to put a lower
    gear (ie, more teeth) on the other side.

    Thanks for all the help.

    -Kalukis

    Tags:

  2. Kalukis wrote:

    > Now that I have my fixed gear -- a Bianchi Pista (for all
    > of 20 hours), a couple of questions.
    >
    > 1. How do you get the rear wheel off? Do they all have
    > master links?

    You don't break the chain for wheel removal, just loosen the
    axle nuts, slide the wheel forward, and derail the chain
    from the chainring. This will give you enough slack to slide
    the axle back and out of the fork ends.

    Unfortunately, most fixed-specific frames have these old-
    fashioned rear-opening fork ends instead of the more modern
    "drop out" type where the opening is forward.

    The rear opening design makes wheel changes slower and
    messier, for no functional advantage--it's just an atavistic
    styling exercise.

    > 2. I hear people talking about have two different gears -
    > on on each side of the wheel. Sure enough, my bike does
    > appear to have both sides threaded for a fixed gear 2a.
    > What is needed to put a new gear on the other side - a
    > cog and a lock ring?

    You can thread a fixed sproket or a single speed freewheel
    onto the opposite side of the hub, but that side doesn't
    have the smaller left hand threads for a lock ring.

    Since there's no provision for a lock ring on the other
    side, it shouldn't be relied upon for stopping--the sprocket
    might unscrew at the worst possible time.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-
    conversion.html#freewheelhub for details and techniques for
    dealing with this.

    Unfortunately the Pista isn't set up for a rear brake, so I
    really can't recommend using the opposite side of the hub.
    If you do, use the side with the lockring for the lower
    gear, because that's the one that's more liable to unscrew.

    > 2b. What about chain length? I suppose that the
    > vertical drop outs are long enough for some different
    > in gear diameter, but how much room for different
    > gears do you practically have? I've got a 16 cog on
    > the gear right now and I'd like to put a lower gear
    > (ie, more teeth) on the other side.

    The Bianchi Pista doesn't have vertical drop outs, it has
    rear-opening horizontal fork ends. See:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_d.html#dropout

    There's plenty of adjustment room. For each tooth added
    or subtracted to either sprocket, the axle only moves
    1/8" (3 mm)

    I've gots of lots of other fixed-gear info at:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed

    Sheldon "Fixed Gear" Brown +---------------------------------------------------
    +
    | There was a man with a tongue of wood | Who essayed
    | to sing. | And in truth it was lamentable. | But
    | there was one who heard | The clip-clapper of this
    | tongue of wood | And knew what the man wished to
    | sing, | And with that the singer was content. | --
    | Stephen Crane |
    +---------------------------------------------------+ Harris
    Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX
    617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
    http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. kalutis-<< Bianchi Pista (for all of 20 hours), a couple of
    questions.

    1. How do you get the rear wheel off? Do they all have
    master links?

    Loosen the locknuts, push wheel forward, take chain off the
    ring, move wheel aft, take chain off cog, remove wheel. many
    chains have snaplinks and track chains have masterlinks but
    you don't need to split the chain to get the wheel out.

    2. I hear people talking about have two different gears - on
    on each side of the wheel. Sure enough, my bike does
    appear to have both sides threaded for a fixed gear 2a.
    What is needed to put a new gear on the other side - a
    cog and a lock ring? 2b. What about chain length? I
    suppose that the vertical drop outs are long enough for
    some different in gear diameter, but how much room for
    different gears do you practically have? I've got a 16
    cog on the gear right now and I'd like to put a lower
    gear (ie, more teeth) on the other side.

    yes to what you said. the horizontal dropouts will take care
    of chainlength.

    Thanks for all the help.

    -Kalukis

    >><BR><BR>