Fixed Gear - Chain Questions

Kalukis

Guest
Now that I have my fixed gear -- a Bianchi Pista (for all of
20 hours), a couple of questions.

1. How do you get the rear wheel off? Do they all have
master links?

2. I hear people talking about have two different gears - on
on each side of the wheel. Sure enough, my bike does
appear to have both sides threaded for a fixed gear 2a.
What is needed to put a new gear on the other side - a
cog and a lock ring? 2b. What about chain length? I
suppose that the vertical drop outs are long enough for
some different in gear diameter, but how much room for
different gears do you practically have? I've got a 16
cog on the gear right now and I'd like to put a lower
gear (ie, more teeth) on the other side.

Thanks for all the help.

-Kalukis

Kalukis wrote:

> Now that I have my fixed gear -- a Bianchi Pista (for all
> of 20 hours), a couple of questions.
>
> 1. How do you get the rear wheel off? Do they all have
> master links?

You don't break the chain for wheel removal, just loosen the
axle nuts, slide the wheel forward, and derail the chain
from the chainring. This will give you enough slack to slide
the axle back and out of the fork ends.

Unfortunately, most fixed-specific frames have these old-
fashioned rear-opening fork ends instead of the more modern
"drop out" type where the opening is forward.

The rear opening design makes wheel changes slower and
messier, for no functional advantage--it's just an atavistic
styling exercise.

> 2. I hear people talking about have two different gears -
> on on each side of the wheel. Sure enough, my bike does
> appear to have both sides threaded for a fixed gear 2a.
> What is needed to put a new gear on the other side - a
> cog and a lock ring?

You can thread a fixed sproket or a single speed freewheel
onto the opposite side of the hub, but that side doesn't
have the smaller left hand threads for a lock ring.

Since there's no provision for a lock ring on the other
side, it shouldn't be relied upon for stopping--the sprocket
might unscrew at the worst possible time.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-
conversion.html#freewheelhub for details and techniques for
dealing with this.

Unfortunately the Pista isn't set up for a rear brake, so I
really can't recommend using the opposite side of the hub.
If you do, use the side with the lockring for the lower
gear, because that's the one that's more liable to unscrew.

> 2b. What about chain length? I suppose that the
> vertical drop outs are long enough for some different
> in gear diameter, but how much room for different
> gears do you practically have? I've got a 16 cog on
> the gear right now and I'd like to put a lower gear
> (ie, more teeth) on the other side.

The Bianchi Pista doesn't have vertical drop outs, it has
rear-opening horizontal fork ends. See:
http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_d.html#dropout

There's plenty of adjustment room. For each tooth added
or subtracted to either sprocket, the axle only moves
1/8" (3 mm)

I've gots of lots of other fixed-gear info at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed

Sheldon "Fixed Gear" Brown +---------------------------------------------------
+
| There was a man with a tongue of wood | Who essayed
| to sing. | And in truth it was lamentable. | But
| there was one who heard | The clip-clapper of this
| tongue of wood | And knew what the man wished to
| sing, | And with that the singer was content. | --
| Stephen Crane |
+---------------------------------------------------+ Harris
Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX
617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

kalutis-<< Bianchi Pista (for all of 20 hours), a couple of
questions.

1. How do you get the rear wheel off? Do they all have
master links?

Loosen the locknuts, push wheel forward, take chain off the
ring, move wheel aft, take chain off cog, remove wheel. many
chains have snaplinks and track chains have masterlinks but
you don't need to split the chain to get the wheel out.

2. I hear people talking about have two different gears - on
on each side of the wheel. Sure enough, my bike does
appear to have both sides threaded for a fixed gear 2a.
What is needed to put a new gear on the other side - a
cog and a lock ring? 2b. What about chain length? I
suppose that the vertical drop outs are long enough for
some different in gear diameter, but how much room for
different gears do you practically have? I've got a 16
cog on the gear right now and I'd like to put a lower
gear (ie, more teeth) on the other side.

yes to what you said. the horizontal dropouts will take care
of chainlength.

Thanks for all the help.

-Kalukis

>><BR><BR>