Flip chain: double life

Originally posted by Jobst Brandt
Carl Fogel writes:

[snip]

> There might be enough play in all the links to invert a worn chain like a belt or rubber band, if
> you worked carefully and unscrewed the front and rear derailleur cages.

That is a classic in topology. A closed roller chain defies turning inside out even off the bicycle.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

Dear Jobst,

You seem to have cut and perhaps missed the
P.S. in my post, where I mentioned that I went
to the workbench and inverted my worn chain.
(It's easy to stop reading when we hit a signature
at the bottom of the screen and miss a post-script.)

I've just inverted my worn chain half a dozen more
times, giddy with excitement. There's a charming
resistance, the chain stiffens into a circle, there's
a gentle give, and voilà!

Just like a rubber band or a belt inverting, 108
links do an abrupt about-face! The edges that
were on the outside are now on the inside of
the chain circle.

Your classic topology may deal with defiantly
idealized chains, not abjectly worn ones. I
expect that a newer chain would be harder
(or even impossible) to invert. But freed to
stiffen into a circle by unscrewing the derailleur
cages, a worn chain can be repeatedly inverted
(or flipped) while intact.

Flippantly,

Carl Fogel

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:10:38 GMT, carlfogel
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Your classic topology may deal with defiantly idealized chains, not abjectly worn ones. I expect
>that a newer chain would be harder (or even impossible) to invert. But freed to stiffen into a
>circle by unscrewing the derailleur cages, a worn chain can be repeatedly inverted (or flipped)
>while intact.

Actually, brand-new derailer chains have some play in them...else they wouldn't derail.
--
Rick Onanian

"Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm a pathetic believer in WD40 and paper towels for cleaning, followed by 85-130w gear oil, and
> loathe both chain-breaking and master-links in all their simple, intuitive, easy-to-use forms.

I do occasionally remove a chain for cleaning (once or twice a year), but usually clean them on the
bike. I usually use kerosene in a spray bottle instead of WD-40 (I figure that it's cheaper, but
honestly haven't done the math). I suppose that if I were to ever own a chain with a master link I
would remove it more often.

--
Greg Estep

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> writes:

I have found that when my tires are 1/3 worn, i can flip the front wheel, and when they are 2/3
worn, i can flip the front wheel again. this triples the life of my front wheel !

- Don "That's Incredible" Gillies San Diego, CA

Donald Gillies wrote:
> Rick Onanian <[email protected]> writes:
>
> I have found that when my tires are 1/3 worn, i can flip the front wheel, and when they are 2/3
> worn, i can flip the front wheel again. this triples the life of my front wheel !

But your quick release will fail three times sooner.

Bill "28 years instead of...DOH!" S.

Triples the life of the front tire, or the front wheel? Anyone besides me rotate the tires from
front to rear? -tom

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> writes:

>Triples the life of the front tire, or the front wheel? Anyone besides me rotate the tires from
>front to rear? -tom

everyone knows that to maximize tire life, you should not only rotate tires from front to rear, but
diagonally from side to side. Otherwise those tires are just gonna wear much faster than normal !!
flip that front wheel, too, so the bearings get a chance to rotate in both directions !!

Don "t Believe it" Gillies
- San Diego, CA

"Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >Triples the life of the front tire, or the front wheel? Anyone besides me rotate the tires from
> >front to rear? -tom
>
> everyone knows that to maximize tire life, you should not only rotate tires from front to rear,
> but diagonally from side to side. Otherwise those tires are just gonna wear much faster than
> normal !! flip that front wheel, too, so the bearings get a chance to rotate in both directions !!

Actually I did have to rotate my daughter's single tire on the trailer-bike (it listed to one side).

I also rotate my axles occasionally for cone wear.

Not sure about rotating axles or flipping the wheel so the bearing get a change to rotate in both
directions? Seems to me the bearings will always track on the race and cones no matter which way the
wheel rotates. Just make sure they're well lubed and adjusted. -tom

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
flip that
> > front wheel, too, so the bearings get a chance to rotate in both directions !!
>

> I also rotate my axles occasionally for cone wear.

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Not sure about rotating axles or flipping the wheel so the bearing get a change to rotate in both
> directions? Seems to me the bearings will always track on the race and cones no matter which way
> the wheel rotates. Just make sure they're well lubed and adjusted.

he was pulling you leg about the wheels, I wasn't about cones.

"Greg Estep" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > I'm a pathetic believer in WD40 and paper towels for cleaning, followed by 85-130w gear oil, and
> > loathe both chain-breaking and master-links in all their simple, intuitive, easy-to-use forms.
>
> I do occasionally remove a chain for cleaning (once or twice a year), but usually clean them on
> the bike. I usually use kerosene in a spray bottle instead of WD-40 (I figure that it's cheaper,
> but honestly haven't done the math). I suppose that if I were to ever own a chain with a master
> link I would remove it more often.

Dear Greg,

I suspect that doing the math may be the greatest expense for most the chain cleaning and oiling
schemes debated on rec.bicycles.tech. The silly things last remarkably well. Lately, I've been
trying to break myself of my absurd habit of cleaning and oiling the chain daily. So far, it hasn't
disintegrated, but I'm keeping a wary eye on it. It certainly ends up black and filthy after only
fifteen miles.

Carl Fogel

Tom Nakashima writes:

> Triples the life of the front tire, or the front wheel? Anyone besides me rotate the tires from
> front to rear?

Always, when putting on a new rear tire, the tire that wears out fastest.

Greg Estep wrote:
> "Tad Borek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>I flip my front wheel around when the tire appears to be halfway worn out, and I am able to ride
>>twice as long.
>>
>>I would flip the rear as well but hey I'm not stupid - I would need to move the drivetrain to the
>>left side and that of course is not possible.
>

> You could always simply remove and remount the tire. Since you're doubling the tire life you
> wouldn't be increasing the labor involved in replacing worn tires, but you would be saving money
> on tires!!

I feel so awful, I was fishing and thought I just landed a lunker.

But I've thought about it and there may actually be something to this, despite the unfortunate
choice of words by Stetina (which had me reaching for my trolling rig). He said "the other side of
the rollers" which makes no sense because rollers roll, and if roller wear is single sided how come
all the rollers are nice & shiny on all 2-pi-R?

Also he said, basically, "2 X 1/2 = 1" which is the old equation for Shimano freewheel tools (two
year freewheel life times a 50% chance of changing the teeth pattern each year equals one new
remover per freewheel purchased), but doesn't amount to any extra chain life, tire life, shorts
life, etc.

But if he really meant "the other side of the pins" and "(1 X 0.5) + 1 =
1.5" who knows, maybe there is something to it. Look, if chain wear is largely pin wear, it wouldn't
matter so much that the rollers have their wear evenly distributed. The pins are stuck where they
are - orientation stays the same.

It seems conceivable that the pins get worn on a relatively small portion of their surface.
Flattened, abraded, who knows? Of the two it seems that itty bitty pin gets the raw end of the
deal...the roller gets to roll so its ID doesn't get hit at the same spot every turn. Maybe.

And if THAT's the case then it would make sense that you could flip a chain over, thereby wearing
the opposite side of the pin before the stretch exceeded the rule of thumb. If the limiting factor
in chain life is "stretch" and stretch is really pin wear.

Lots of ifs.

-Tad "special Roland Martin award currently under review by judges"

If you flip a chain over at half life then use the chain in that position for the other half life,
then using simple math
1/2 life plus 1/2 life = as far as I can gather is one full life. Just change your chain as you
would normal and get the whole life out of one side what a concept...LOL

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:10:38 GMT, carlfogel <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Your classic topology may deal with defiantly idealized chains, not abjectly worn ones. I expect
> >that a newer chain would be harder (or even impossible) to invert. But freed to stiffen into a
> >circle by unscrewing the derailleur cages, a worn chain can be repeatedly inverted (or flipped)
> >while intact.
>
> Actually, brand-new derailer chains have some play in them...else they wouldn't derail.

Dear Rick,

Intrigued and hopeful, I tried to invert a new PC48 chain out of the box.

Nope, not a chance--way too stiff. (Well, maybe if I could do it if I were the governor of
California.)

Sullenly, I went back to the workbench and inverted my worn PC48 a few times.

Carl Fogel

On 2 Mar 2004 10:48:41 -0800, [email protected] (Donald Gillies)
wrote:
>Rick Onanian <[email protected]> writes:
>
>I have found that when my tires are 1/3 worn, i can flip the front wheel, and when they are 2/3
>worn, i can flip the front wheel again. this triples the life of my front wheel !
>
>- Don "That's Incredible" Gillies San Diego, CA

What did I write?

There's an attribution line with my name but nothing I've written...
--
Rick Onanian

Originally posted by Rick Onanian
wrote:
>Rick Onanian <[email protected]> writes:
>
>I have found that when my tires are 1/3 worn, i can flip the front wheel, and when they are 2/3
>worn, i can flip the front wheel again. this triples the life of my front wheel !
>
>- Don "That's Incredible" Gillies San Diego, CA

What did I write?

There's an attribution line with my name but nothing I've written...
--
Rick Onanian

As Gomer used to say: Shame Shame Shame-
Rick- if you put your name on another's writings that's plagerism!
:D :cool:

I guess Rick-the poster must have felt credit for the long tire life technique would be better directed to the tire flipper rather than attributed to the penman. ;)

[email protected] wrote:
> Tom Nakashima writes:
>

>>Triples the life of the front tire, or the front wheel? Anyone besides me rotate the tires from
>>front to rear?
>

> Always, when putting on a new rear tire, the tire that wears out fastest.

Especially on a mtn bike where sharp, edgy knobs aren't quite as important on the rear.

Greg

"Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "carlfogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

[email protected]:[email protected]
> > "If
> > it
> > words,
> > opposite
Wayne

> > out,

> > > Dear Dave,
> > >
> > > I could measure no difference when I looped my handy badly worn chain (about 1.4%) both ways
> > > around the base of a 36-inch circumference
cable
> > > drum on a flat surface.
> > >
> > > The marks made opposite the center of the start and finish pins still matched as closely as I
> > > could align them.
> > >
> > > This is unsurprising. Rollers presumably roll.
> > >
> > > It seems unlikely that any difference in length could be observed by wrapping the chain around
> > > gears, since the gear teeth remain an inch apart, even during wear.
> > >
> > > Carl Fogel
> >
> > But Carl, Wayne never said to use a badly worn chain, only one that's "halfway" worn. To me this
> > means a slightly worn chain that is still
quite
> > useable. Using a badly worn chain I don't doubt your findings.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Dear Dave,
>
> My guess is that if the strange wear pattern suggested in this thread doesn't show up on a badly
> worn chain, then it won't show up on a slightly worn chain, either.
>
> You can test this a fortiori theory by removing your current chain, wrapping it around any large
> circular object on a garage floor, and marking where the start and finish pins end up with a fine-
> point sharpie.

Well, my current chain has been removed and installed several times without paying attention to how
it was intalled and re-installed, etc. With my next chain I will pay attention to this issue and see
if I can measure a difference. Also, the direction the chain is coiled around the cylinder will
matter. Because of the chain line, one side of the chain will have greater wear than the other (rear
& left of the rivet passing over the cassette, front & right of the rivet passing over the crank).

> I used a handy cable spool, but a plastic bucket lid will do nicely. Flip the chain over and see
> where the pins end up. A chain worn to 1/32" per foot is mildly worn and would be 3/32" longer
> than a new chain over 36 links, an easily noticed difference.
>
> I expect that, after flipping, any chain's length will be indistinguishable over a three foot
> span. It's necessary to flip and measure the same 36 links, since there are in fact measurable
> wear differences between different sections of the same chain.
>
> If I'm wrong, then someone should be able to draw a quick free-hand diagram of either a bushed or
> bushingless chain showing an asymmetrical wear pattern that would somehow change a chain's length
> (or some more subtle dimension) when curved one way and then reversed.

I swear I will try to give this some thought on my next chain. I am curious to know if this truly
is a valid argument. If true, I don't think there will be a doubling of chain life or anything
dramatic like Chris Zacho thinks there will be but anything is better than nothing (when a chain
costs $20-$35).

> Here's a link to a chain diagram to get the artists started:
>
> http://www.vikinginternational.com/about.htm
>
> I'd be glad to host any pictures, whether they make sense to me or not--just email me.
>
> Carl Fogel

Dave