Food before and after a ride..

mikesbytes said:
Hi Brad, I don't think you can blame the 34k ride on the food issue, 34k isn't far enough to require you to eat food before or during the ride, your body should be alble to handle modest distances without the need to eat.

As pointed out by others, we all disagree on diet, in particular carb consumption. Myself I go for 1/3 calories from each of Protein, Carb and Fat. That works for me, it may not be suitable for you.

I'll leave you with the others advice and add "Don't drink your calories" Food is more satifying.
i think it depends on how long it takes and how used to it you are. 34k can be epic for some. (imagine doing 34k with abbackpack, thats what its like for heavy guys!)

+1 on the dont drink your cals tho

jamesstout said:
i think it depends on how long it takes and how used to it you are. 34k can be epic for some. (imagine doing 34k with abbackpack, thats what its like for heavy guys!)

+1 on the dont drink your cals tho
Well it is not epic and the only reason I stop is because the seat starts to hurt so damn much and I only have so much time. I plan to get it up to 40km a day by next week. Also, I don't have a road bike, just a Walmart-Special, 200 bucks, and I am 6'1 194 pound, overweight. When I first started to ride it was really hard for me to do 12km. I can't just hop into 100km rides but have to work my way up to them. When my daily routine becomes easy I increase the speed and once I have a good speed going I increase the km. Oh and I have done about 34km with a backpack and it hurt my back so bad. Never again.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that 34k was easy, what I was saying was that the calorie burn wasn't high enough to require you to eat before riding.

mikesbytes said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to say that 34k was easy, what I was saying was that the calorie burn wasn't high enough to require you to eat before riding.
Oh, I ride at 12:30, right after lunch. I figure it was the best time since I already had something to eat, so I would not have to eat again right before I ride. My problem is after the ride I am hungry but I think I found some good food for afterwards. Even though I am hungry. Yogurt, an apple and a granola bar fills me up nicely.

I am really happy about my rides now. When I started I used to tire so easy and feel like complete **** but now I can ride 34km with out feeling like ****. My legs still get somewhat tired but I don't feel like I am going to pass out and I can keep going hard and fast. I used to huff and puff so hard. I am really hope all of this + the oatmeal gets my high blood pressure down. I look forward to increasing the length of my ride soon and like I have said I am going to start to ride to school next week. I have a doctors appointment at the end of this month. If not they want to put me in a study to find out why I have high blood pressure.

Also, I am not sure if I should buy a bench press or join a gym. I might be able to get a nice one for cheap from my friend. The only thing is don't you need someone to spot you with a bench press?

Its a matter of what you get your body conditioned to do. I'm a cross trainer - see my log. Most people are single disicpline.

If your objective is general fitness, then cross training will greatly benifit you. If you objective is to be a serious competitive cyclist then stick mainly or just to cycling

Brad - regarding the bench pressing, just get yourself a cheap bench and some dumbells. People are always selling them cheap second hand. You need a spotter if you use a barbell because you'll need somebody to take it off your chest when you can't lift it any more. However with the dumbells you can just lower them to the ground on your own.

I've been using mine for bench press and bicep curls for years - just want to keep the upper body in shape and it makes a nice change to the cycling training.

BradUF said:
Oh, I ride at 12:30, right after lunch. I figure it was the best time since I already had something to eat, so I would not have to eat again right before I ride. My problem is after the ride I am hungry but I think I found some good food for afterwards. Even though I am hungry. Yogurt, an apple and a granola bar fills me up nicely.

I am really happy about my rides now. When I started I used to tire so easy and feel like complete **** but now I can ride 34km with out feeling like ****. My legs still get somewhat tired but I don't feel like I am going to pass out and I can keep going hard and fast. I used to huff and puff so hard. I am really hope all of this + the oatmeal gets my high blood pressure down. I look forward to increasing the length of my ride soon and like I have said I am going to start to ride to school next week. I have a doctors appointment at the end of this month. If not they want to put me in a study to find out why I have high blood pressure.

Also, I am not sure if I should buy a bench press or join a gym. I might be able to get a nice one for cheap from my friend. The only thing is don't you need someone to spot you with a bench press?
i would spend the time doing core/pilates/yoga/riding benching won't bring your bp down. I do a few weights but only cos im skinny as and otherwise i can't "suggest" that people give me awheel in the sprint 'cos they dont even realise im leaning on them!

this might help you:

Proteins - Learn More
  • Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
  • Tuna (water packed)
  • Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
  • Shrimp
  • Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%) - Learn More
  • Protein Powder - Learn More
  • Egg Whites or Eggs - Learn More
  • Ribeye Steaks or Roast
  • Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
  • Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
  • Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
  • Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
  • Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
  • Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
  • Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)
Complex Carbs - Learn More
  • Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
  • Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
  • Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
  • Oat Bran Cereal
  • Brown Rice
  • Farina (Cream of Wheat)
  • Multigrain Hot Cereal
  • Pasta
  • Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
  • Potatoes (red, baking, new)
Fibrous Carbs - Learn More
  • Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
  • Broccoli
  • Asparagus
  • String Beans
  • Spinach
  • Bell Peppers
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Cauliflower
  • Celery
Other Produce & Fruits - Learn More
  • Cucumber
  • Green or Red Pepper
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Tomatoes
  • Zucchini
  • Fruit (if acceptable on diet): bananas, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
  • Lemons or Limes
Healthy Fats - Learn More
  • Natural Style Peanut Butter, or other nut butter
  • Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
  • Nuts (peanuts, almonds
  • Flaxseed Oil - Learn More
Dairy & Eggs
  • Low-fat cottage cheese, yogurt, fromage frais
  • Eggs
  • Low or Non-Fat Milk
Beverages
  • Bottled Water
  • Diet Soda
  • Crystal Light
Condiments & Misc.
  • Fat Free Mayonnaise
  • Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
  • Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
    mrsdash.jpg
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Salsa
  • Chili powder
  • Mrs. Dash
  • Steak Sauce
  • Sugar Free Maple Syrup
  • Chili Paste
  • Mustard
  • Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc
  • Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
  • Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)
  • Marmite/veggimite
  • pure fruit spread

BradUF said:
Once you are experienced at bench press, you don't need a spotter, but that will take some time. A trick you can do if doing it by yourself is not to use clips on the weights and if you get in trouble, then you tilt the bar and the weight slides off that side then the other.

Most home gym equipement doesn't get used, because the owners lack the motoviation to use it.

jamesstout said:
no idea what sf syrup is!
I do and it tastes like nothing. All it does is make your pancakes syrupy but the syrup has no taste. It tastes better to just put nothing on the pancakes to begin with.

Oh, I know lifting weights will do nothing for my heart but if I build muscle then I will burn a little more fat and I wouldn't mind being somewhat buff. Atleast not have twigs for arms anymore.

BradUF said:
Oh, I know lifting weights will do nothing for my heart but if I build muscle then I will burn a little more fat and I wouldn't mind being somewhat buff. Atleast not have twigs for arms anymore.
there isn't really much truth in that build muscle burn fat theory i have read papers on it but i can't find them now. Your time is better spent burnign cals. If you wanna get the 'ole upper bod buff go swimming/surfing (if you are in AUS?).

im a big adovcate of honey i got that list off bodybuilding.com i added yogurt and fromage frais! shoudl add dried fruit museli honey rice cakes white potato any fruit game meat (get kanga in aus it is AWESOME) we should start a new thread...

So should I wait until after I have lost my weight to start lifting weights?

Ok, I changed my diet more along the lines of what you all have suggested and my cals are even lower now, about 1600 a day but my carbs are high. Is this ok?

Total: 698 Fat: 8 75 11% Sat: 2 15 2% Poly: 3 30 4% Mono: 2 21 3% Carbs: 136 503 75% Fiber: 11 0 0% Protein: 23 94 14% Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Here is my consumed vs burned chart...

image.png

03/01 is wrong, don't have any data for that day.

for weight loss shoot for 60/20/20 c/p/f or up the proteina bit if you like but you are much better

can you do a sample day again?

jamesstout said:
for weight loss shoot for 60/20/20 c/p/f or up the proteina bit if you like but you are much better

can you do a sample day again?
Yeah but it will have to wait until Monday because my eat weird after I have been drinking. So if I don't get 60/20/20 will I still lose weight if my cals are in the 1700 range?

BradUF said:
Yeah but it will have to wait until Monday because my eat weird after I have been drinking. So if I don't get 60/20/20 will I still lose weight if my cals are in the 1700 range?
yeah you'll loose weight but the advantage of protein is that it has a higher thermogenic affect i.e. takes clas to digest and carns will allow you to train. dont be obbsessive you have got to plan for a few days then youll soon get the idea and you'll be flying. lol at the drinking!

oh btw i burned 4,500kcal riding today you could do that.....