full-sus ss

"onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Read this:
> >
> > > http://www.math.chalmers.se/~olahe/Bike/Rear/bbpivot.html
>
> Hey that's interesting. I didn't know that manufacturers were doing this. I don't know Rotec but
> I remember the Diablo. Can't recall it's design, tho. I couldn't find any info about it on the
> Jamis site.

The Diablo was a swoopy carbon number I saw in a few shops but never on the trail. The shock was low
and housed inside the frame -- it looked like it would have been a ***** to get at.

> Of course what's most obvious is that only a few manufacturers adopted this system and now it
> appears to be abandoned. I can specualte that it must be a poor performer and/or be too expensive
> to manufacture and maintain.

Cove bikes still use a bb pivot: http://www.covebike.com/article.php?itm=27 So does Lenz:
http://www.lenzsport.com/alpinebrawler.html

I wouldn't recommend either of these for XC SS'ing, though....

/s

"supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Read this:

> > Hey that's interesting. I didn't know that manufacturers were doing
this.
> > I don't know Rotec but I remember the Diablo. Can't recall it's design, tho. I couldn't find any
> > info about it on the Jamis site.
>
> The Diablo was a swoopy carbon number I saw in a few shops but never on the trail. The shock was
> low and housed inside the frame -- it looked like it would have been a ***** to get at.
>
> > Of course what's most obvious is that only a few manufacturers adopted
this
> > system and now it appears to be abandoned. I can specualte that it must
be
> > a poor performer and/or be too expensive to manufacture and maintain.
>
> Cove bikes still use a bb pivot: http://www.covebike.com/article.php?itm=27 So does Lenz:
> http://www.lenzsport.com/alpinebrawler.html

So that's at least two or three manufacturers.

> I wouldn't recommend either of these for XC SS'ing, though....

Agreed. You are right. The manufacturers, too, don't appear to be recommending them for XC use.

If you must have a full suspension single speed, how else can it be done? With a chain tensioner???
This is a silly discussion anyway because singlespeeds are supposed to be a departure from these
complex systems.

Dave

onefred wrote:
> "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:<[email protected]>...

>>>Hey that's interesting. I didn't know that manufacturers were doing
>
> this.
>
>>>I don't know Rotec but I remember the Diablo. Can't recall it's design, tho. I couldn't find any
>>>info about it on the Jamis site.
>>
>>The Diablo was a swoopy carbon number I saw in a few shops but never on the trail. The shock was
>>low and housed inside the frame -- it looked like it would have been a ***** to get at.
>>

>>>Of course what's most obvious is that only a few manufacturers adopted
>
> this
>
>>>system and now it appears to be abandoned. I can specualte that it must
>
> be
>
>>>a poor performer and/or be too expensive to manufacture and maintain.
>>
>>Cove bikes still use a bb pivot: http://www.covebike.com/article.php?itm=27 So does Lenz:
>>http://www.lenzsport.com/alpinebrawler.html
>

> So that's at least two or three manufacturers.
>

>>I wouldn't recommend either of these for XC SS'ing, though....
>

> Agreed. You are right. The manufacturers, too, don't appear to be recommending them for XC use.
>
> If you must have a full suspension single speed, how else can it be done? With a chain
> tensioner???

Yes, 12" travel off-road motorcycles are essentialy single speeds since the transmission is separate
from the drive train. A beefy chain guide plus a well placed roller under the swingarm pivot keeps
the chain fairly tight and on the sprockets.

Greg

> onefred wrote:
> > "supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>"onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> > this.

> >>The Diablo was a swoopy carbon number I saw in a few shops but never on the trail. The shock was
> >>low and housed inside the frame -- it looked like it would have been a ***** to get at.

> > this

> > be

> >>Cove bikes still use a bb pivot: http://www.covebike.com/article.php?itm=27 So does Lenz:
> >>http://www.lenzsport.com/alpinebrawler.html
> >

> > So that's at least two or three manufacturers.
> >

> >>I wouldn't recommend either of these for XC SS'ing, though....
> >

> > Agreed. You are right. The manufacturers, too, don't appear to be recommending them for XC use.
> >
> > If you must have a full suspension single speed, how else can it be
done?
> > With a chain tensioner???
>
> Yes, 12" travel off-road motorcycles are essentialy single speeds since
the
> transmission is separate from the drive train. A beefy chain guide plus a well placed roller under
> the swingarm pivot keeps the chain fairly tight and on the sprockets.

Ok, but the size of the chain has got to play a different dynamic here. It's not easy to drop such a
wide chain. It's designed to flex as little as possible and it's got to move a lot to fall off such
thick sprockets.