Gear Overlap Calculator?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Smithy, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Smithy

    Smithy Guest

    I once had a spreadsheet that calculated the various overlapping gear rations for the 3 chain rings
    and the 9 gear cassette. Does one still exist?

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

  3. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:20:09 -0400, "Smithy" <[email protected]> from MindSpring
    Enterprises wrote:

    >I once had a spreadsheet that calculated the various overlapping gear rations for the 3 chain rings
    >and the 9 gear cassette. Does one still exist?

    All over the place!

    You don't even need a spreadsheet program any more. You can do it on the web:

    http://www.panix.com/~jbarrm/cycal/cycal.30f.html

    And that's only of them. Google "gear ratio calculator" and I'm sure you'll find several.
    --
    http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace My haircut is totally traditional!
    4:19:33 PM 28 June 2003

  4. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    Here's yet another: http://www.crw.org/java/GearChart/gears.htm

    Smithy wrote:

    > I once had a spreadsheet that calculated the various overlapping gear rations for the 3 chain
    > rings and the 9 gear cassette. Does one still exist?
    >
    > thanks

  5. Bobqzzi

    Bobqzzi Guest

  6. Tom Parker

    Tom Parker Guest

    Besides the other excellent suggestions already given, there's also a "Free Gear Ratio Calculator"
    (for Windows) at http://www.techmarc.co.uk/gearcalc.htm

    -- Tom

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:20:09 -0400, "Smithy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I once had a spreadsheet that calculated the various overlapping gear rations for the 3 chain rings
    >and the 9 gear cassette. Does one still exist?
    >
    >thanks

  7. Smithy

    Smithy Guest

    I think what I had\was a little simpler. I misrepresented the question I think.

    What I had was a REDUNDANT gear calculator. It visually showed which gears were similar at the
    change points. I knew that if I dropped from middle/5 to granny/7 that I would be keeping the
    same cadence.

    thanks