Giro: Stage 12 picks

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
The first big mountain stage. Who will take it? Who will have their hopes crushed?

I will pick Gibo to take the win, Cunego to lose a little time, and Popovych to lose a lot.

I don't think any of the team leaders will be in for the win on this stage, due to the down hill finish. However someone like Ricco, Pellizotti could attack at the top of the second climb and will probably be allowed to get some sort of a gap (though not too big).

If that doesn't happen and a group comes into Briancon together the finish is actually an uphill sprint, something that favours Ricco (Di Luca having been shelled out the back by this point).

So I'll go with Ricco.

That lunatic Parra will attack again, no doubt.
And with downhill finish he might has a chance of not being caught (also he's not of huge danger for the big guns).
If there's no successful attack, Il Falco might fly to the finish line. Although that finish in his Bergamo is more obvious.

Bro Deal said:
The first big mountain stage. Who will take it? Who will have their hopes crushed?

I will pick Gibo to take the win, Cunego to lose a little time, and Popovych to lose a lot.
Popo was roughed up in that crash at the end of St11, may not even start tomorrow by some accounts.

None of the big names will win the stage I don't think, but DiLuca will be the best of the best once more, Gibo and especially Cunego (he looks shaky so far) will both lose a bit of time, and Savoldelli will crack on both climbs but will limit his losses a bit on the downhills but still lose a minute or two to the other favorites.

Savoldelli and Popovych are now out of the running. Simoni is getting better and better but will it be enough?

I am starting to wonder whether Di Luca can go all the way. And Schleck continues to surprise...

Is The Killer on EPO or trasfusion or something third? Who is his doctor?
Now he's the man to beat. And he won't be beaten unless some "stomach bug" occurs him (Basso 2005 style).

...Just to harmonize with today's threads.

P.S.
Too bad Zabel is today's highlight... Fantastic stage.
Even worse is that Riis tomorrow has press conference and another great stage on Giro will be pushed in second plan.

Bro Deal said:
Savoldelli and Popovych are now out of the running. Simoni is getting better and better but will it be enough?

I am starting to wonder whether Di Luca can go all the way. And Schleck continues to surprise...
Di Luca is looking awesome. But I do believe Simoni will be hard to hold onto on Zoncolan.

Smilf said:
Di Luca is looking awesome. But I do believe Simoni will be hard to hold onto on Zoncolan.
But he needs two and a half minutes. Di Luca may even gain some more in the mountain time trial and then there is the final ITT. To win the Giro, Simoni needs a huge exploit. Di Luca may have to crack in order for Simoni to win.

Brilliant stage today. I'm guessing Astana will be handing leadership over to Mazzoleni. Impressive riding by Schleck. Cunego is looking a bit shakey, so I guess the main threat to Di Luca has to be Simoni now. Still, two mountain top finishes, a mountain TT and a flat TT to go, + another hard mountain stage so it's still all up for grabs.