Giro: Stage 13 picks

Andrija

Feb 16, 2005
Uphill TT, not so steep, so I'd say the winner must be amongst Di Luca, Schleck or Cunego.

I'll go with Schleck.

Andrija said:
Uphill TT, not so steep, so I'd say the winner must be amongst Di Luca, Schleck or Cunego.

I'll go with Schleck.
I am going to go for Simoni even though he is not a very good time trialist and he excels on steeper slopes. He needs to start chipping away at Di Luca's lead. I won't be too surprised to see Di Luca take it.

It will be interesting to see how Cunego does. He looks a little weak.

Bro Deal said:
I am going to go for Simoni even though he is not a very good time trialist and he excels on steeper slopes. He needs to start chipping away at Di Luca's lead. I won't be too surprised to see Di Luca take it.

It will be interesting to see how Cunego does. He looks a little weak.
Cunego, seems to have sputtered a little but I think at this distance he should be able to pull off a very good ride. I look for Cunego to have the best time at the end of the day.

If Lim picks him, I have an option to change my mind. :D

lw

lwedge said:
Cunego, seems to have sputtered a little but I think at this distance he should be able to pull off a very good ride. I look for Cunego to have the best time at the end of the day.
Good point with the distance. It may be all the previous riding in a stage that is affecting his climbing at the end. If so he will get killed during the weekend.

I'm going with Mazzoleni. He's climbing well and he's a good TTist. Cunego to go second, Zabriskie to go third. Then Simoni, then Di Luca. Or something like that.

Bro Deal said:
Good point with the distance. It may be all the previous riding in a stage that is affecting his climbing at the end. If so he will get killed during the weekend.
Yes and because of the distance the riders will not be able to gain much time on the GC. Cunego can take a stage here and then hang out in the peloton until June and then hope he can grap more time in the longer TT. I just think 2+ minutes is too much time to make up with this cast of riders. IMHO

I think it's going to stay Luca till the end but who knows. There's still a good presents of Lampre riders in the top 10 and I want to see what Andy Schleck has. Looks like we could have a deal breaker on stage "17" though, that's Simoni's baby.

lw

I will go with Cunego - but this is about all he will salvage from this years Giro.

What are the chances of Schleck going all the way? He has almost a minute on Gibo, and a minute to make up on Di Luca. Assuming he is right amongst it on the Zoncolan, and makes up time on Di Luca this ITT (no certainty given Di Luca's form!), it may come down to the Stage 20 ITT. A young rider, but seems to be very, very competitive amongst the big names.

Andrew76 said:
What are the chances of Schleck going all the way? He has almost a minute on Gibo, and a minute to make up on Di Luca. Assuming he is right amongst it on the Zoncolan, and makes up time on Di Luca this ITT (no certainty given Di Luca's form!), it may come down to the Stage 20 ITT. A young rider, but seems to be very, very competitive amongst the big names.
Yup, I also wonder about Schleck. I was impressed by his ride against Bettini in the Lombardia last year, being able to keep up with Grillo... that was the first time I really noticed him. He does seem to be developing very positively. I am quite curious about his ability to 'hold' over three weeks for a national grand tour. I guess we will just have to wait and see...

Bro Deal said:
Wow. Peipoli is really raging.

Well... no so sure I agree. He faded yesterday BADLY and lost a lot of time on the GC, albeit after doing a power of work for Gibo. The lad that won the stage today is travelling fairly nicely!

I am still a fan of Schleck. But I am not so certain he can make up almost 2 mins on Di Luca in the ITT on Stage 20, so Stage 17 up the Zoncolan will be a huge day! Maybe I might buy tickets from Australia to Italy just to be there!

Powerful Pete said:
Yup, I also wonder about Schleck. I was impressed by his ride against Bettini in the Lombardia last year, being able to keep up with Grillo... that was the first time I really noticed him. He does seem to be developing very positively. I am quite curious about his ability to 'hold' over three weeks for a national grand tour. I guess we will just have to wait and see...

That was the older Schleck, Frank.

El Loto said:
That was the older Schleck, Frank.
Go Danilo !

Luca looks pretty solid this year. The only stages I see question marks for him are 15 and 17.

What do you guys and gals think?

lw

If the break doesn't stay away he's got a good chance tomorrow. 15 and 17 are going to be tough for him, however his form seems to be so good that I don't think he'll be loosing that much time if any. His team is prett strong, so even though there will be lots of people attacking him should be able to keep it under control. Only person with a chance is Simoni I think, be he didn't look so great today.