Go Lance!

ryan_velo

Aug 1, 2004
have people been calling you lace lately? ever since he the sixth tour about every time i go riding i get called lance or "go lance" ect: It might have to do with the fact that I live in a small town in ky where you dont see many lycra clad "serius" lookin roadies around here, and I kinda stand out. But none the less it puts me in a good mood.

Do you get called lance?

Hey,

Can't say I've been called Lance, but once somebody said "look, here comes the king of cyclists". I'll take that as a compliment and is a big improvement over "get a job" and "you should buy a car so you don't have to cycle". Overall, I haven't received that many comments. Oh yeah, and a chickie once wanted a ride.

-Bikeguy

ryan_velo said:
have people been calling you lace lately? ever since he the sixth tour about every time i go riding i get called lance or "go lance" ect: It might have to do with the fact that I live in a small town in ky where you dont see many lycra clad "serius" lookin roadies around here, and I kinda stand out. But none the less it puts me in a good mood.

Do you get called lance?
All the time! I live in Texas (San Antonio) and get it a lot. My wife says people look twice at me because I'm thin and I have a similar jaw line to Lance. (I think she's full of it). One thing we did find out is that in Austin, if you're a guy on a bike, you're Lance :D

ryan_velo said:

Do you get called lance?
This is the weirdest thing. I live in a small college town in Oxford, Ohio, and I just got my first road bike yesterday and was taking it out for a spin at night, going as fast as I could down a main street on campus, when I blazed past these people sitting at the bus stop and one of them yelled, "GO LANCE!!" I was like, WTF? What just happened? First night of having a road bike and I get called Lance? Sweet! I was totally going to post the same exact "Do you get called Lance?" thread here, but I guess you beat me to it :).

I was wearing khaki shorts, tennis shoes, and a fleece jacket that was flapping in the wind behind me. The best part is, I'm Asian.

:)

When people see me ride they are lauging to hard to be able to utter a phrase like "Go Lance!" :mad:

I get called Lance by other cyclists in bunch rides, mainly because I wear a USPS kit and I attack on the hills when we have sprints. Quite funny really :D

There's a bunch of kids that are almost always in a yard in an adjoining neighborhood that I frequently circuit through after a ride. They often yell "Hey Lance!!" as I pass, but somedays they alternatively yell "Hey freak!!"; so I'm really not convinced of the compliment value. ;)

I get called "lance" by joggers and walkers. People who know nothing about cycling, other than who Lance Armstrong is. I'm happy that our sport is getting some positive recognition

On a more sour note, I was talking to someone the other day, and when I mentioned I was a cyclist, the response was, "Oh, you don't take drugs for that, do you?" I guess it's the doping legacy. :(

yes i do get called lance. I just bought myfirst road bike and i wear the tight shorts and shirts and my friends on the soccer team called me lance all season since i started riding bikes. i think its funny but it just shows how much of a impact he has had on the world.