Goodbye

Mark Hickey

Guest
I had an epiphany. Last night, I was getting a painful deep massage
to help with the effects of my bike accident in 2003. The nice young
woman was leaning heavily toward me to better drive the point of her
elbow into the very sore muscles of my neck. I thought "I'm paying
her to hurt me this much - I don't really have to put up with the
pain". Of course, I didn't stop her because I benefit from the
process, however painful.

Which brings me to the current state of the rec.bicycles newsgroups.
I've been frequenting them for over 15 years, and (particularly in the
early years) have learned much, and tried to share what I know through
those years. But it struck me as I was enduring the pain of that
massage that participation in the newsgroups gets more painful by the
year, but no longer holds any particular benefit for me. Technical
discussions break down into pointless bluster as often as not (ala
"jim beam") and discussions about social issues have long since ceased
to hold any promise of civil discourse.

And it only gets more and more shrill as time goes by.

Character assassination has become the chief tool for those who prefer
to avoid facts that run contrary to their world view, and I've
increasingly been the target of these attacks.

It strikes me that most of the "high-content contributors" have also
left these newsgroups over the years, and it's easy to see why. I
suspect that the content to noise ratio is only going to get worse as
time goes by.

JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series, but
they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this is no
longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my time. I
have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four new
granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.

So, it's with absolute joy and anticipation that I bid you all a fond
farewell. I've got the same kind of feeling that you get when you're
finishing up a tedious task before walking out the door on a long
vacation. I'm psyched. For this, I can only thank JT for doing his
part to bring this long, glorious waste of time to an end.

Happy trails,

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> I had an epiphany. Last night, I was getting a painful deep massage
> to help with the effects of my bike accident in 2003. The nice young
> woman was leaning heavily toward me to better drive the point of her
> elbow into the very sore muscles of my neck. I thought "I'm paying
> her to hurt me this much - I don't really have to put up with the
> pain". Of course, I didn't stop her because I benefit from the
> process, however painful.
>
> Which brings me to the current state of the rec.bicycles newsgroups.
> I've been frequenting them for over 15 years, and (particularly in the
> early years) have learned much, and tried to share what I know through
> those years. But it struck me as I was enduring the pain of that
> massage that participation in the newsgroups gets more painful by the
> year, but no longer holds any particular benefit for me. Technical
> discussions break down into pointless bluster as often as not (ala
> "jim beam") and discussions about social issues have long since ceased
> to hold any promise of civil discourse.
>
> And it only gets more and more shrill as time goes by.
>
> Character assassination has become the chief tool for those who prefer
> to avoid facts that run contrary to their world view, and I've
> increasingly been the target of these attacks.
>
> It strikes me that most of the "high-content contributors" have also
> left these newsgroups over the years, and it's easy to see why. I
> suspect that the content to noise ratio is only going to get worse as
> time goes by.
>
> JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series, but
> they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this is no
> longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my time. I
> have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four new
> granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.
>
> So, it's with absolute joy and anticipation that I bid you all a fond
> farewell. I've got the same kind of feeling that you get when you're
> finishing up a tedious task before walking out the door on a long
> vacation. I'm psyched. For this, I can only thank JT for doing his
> part to bring this long, glorious waste of time to an end.
>
> Happy trails,
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

Sorry to see you go. But enjoy your rides anyway.

Ken

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Mark Hickey <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> I had an epiphany. Last night, I was getting a painful deep massage
> to help with the effects of my bike accident in 2003. The nice young
> woman was leaning heavily toward me to better drive the point of her
> elbow into the very sore muscles of my neck. I thought "I'm paying
> her to hurt me this much - I don't really have to put up with the
> pain". Of course, I didn't stop her because I benefit from the
> process, however painful.
>
> Which brings me to the current state of the rec.bicycles newsgroups.
> I've been frequenting them for over 15 years, and (particularly in the
> early years) have learned much, and tried to share what I know through
> those years. But it struck me as I was enduring the pain of that
> massage that participation in the newsgroups gets more painful by the
> year, but no longer holds any particular benefit for me. Technical
> discussions break down into pointless bluster as often as not (ala
> "jim beam") and discussions about social issues have long since ceased
> to hold any promise of civil discourse.
>
> And it only gets more and more shrill as time goes by.
>
> Character assassination has become the chief tool for those who prefer
> to avoid facts that run contrary to their world view, and I've
> increasingly been the target of these attacks.
>
> It strikes me that most of the "high-content contributors" have also
> left these newsgroups over the years, and it's easy to see why. I
> suspect that the content to noise ratio is only going to get worse as
> time goes by.
>
> JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series, but
> they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this is no
> longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my time. I
> have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four new
> granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.
>
> So, it's with absolute joy and anticipation that I bid you all a fond
> farewell. I've got the same kind of feeling that you get when you're
> finishing up a tedious task before walking out the door on a long
> vacation. I'm psyched. For this, I can only thank JT for doing his
> part to bring this long, glorious waste of time to an end.
>
> Happy trails,
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

Ciao ! Wear out some tires.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

For this, I can only thank JT for doing his
> part to bring this long, glorious waste of time to an end.
>
> Happy trails,
>
> Mark Hickey

------------
who the blazes is jt?

Mark Hickey wrote:

:: So, it's with absolute joy and anticipation that I bid you all a fond
:: farewell.

I hate to see you go.

Mark Hickey wrote:
<snip>

> Happy trails,

Hey Mark, pop back and see us inmates from time to time. We may be
howling at the moon and throwing out own faeces at each other, but we'd
love a visit now and again.

Callistus Valerius wrote:
> For this, I can only thank JT for doing his
>> part to bring this long, glorious waste of time to an end.
>>
>> Happy trails,
>>
>> Mark Hickey

> ------------
> who the blazes is jt?

The illustrious John Forrest Tomlinson -- AKA "Flogittodeathlinson" and "The
Disingenuous Snipper" -- long ago plonked by your truly.

Figures he'd be the one to run a regular /contributor/ out of here.

Pity.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> I had an epiphany. Last night, I was getting a painful deep massage
> to help with the effects of my bike accident in 2003. The nice young
> woman was leaning heavily toward me to better drive the point of her
> elbow into the very sore muscles of my neck. I thought "I'm paying
> her to hurt me this much - I don't really have to put up with the
> pain". Of course, I didn't stop her because I benefit from the
> process, however painful.
>
> Which brings me to the current state of the rec.bicycles newsgroups.
> I've been frequenting them for over 15 years, and (particularly in the
> early years) have learned much, and tried to share what I know through
> those years. But it struck me as I was enduring the pain of that
> massage that participation in the newsgroups gets more painful by the
> year, but no longer holds any particular benefit for me. Technical
> discussions break down into pointless bluster as often as not (ala
> "jim beam") and discussions about social issues have long since ceased
> to hold any promise of civil discourse.
>
> And it only gets more and more shrill as time goes by.
>
> Character assassination has become the chief tool for those who prefer
> to avoid facts that run contrary to their world view, and I've
> increasingly been the target of these attacks.
>
> It strikes me that most of the "high-content contributors" have also
> left these newsgroups over the years, and it's easy to see why. I
> suspect that the content to noise ratio is only going to get worse as
> time goes by.
>
> JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series, but
> they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this is no
> longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my time. I
> have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four new
> granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.
>
> So, it's with absolute joy and anticipation that I bid you all a fond
> farewell. I've got the same kind of feeling that you get when you're
> finishing up a tedious task before walking out the door on a long
> vacation. I'm psyched. For this, I can only thank JT for doing his
> part to bring this long, glorious waste of time to an end.
>
> Happy trails,
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

Will you at least stick around in AM-B?!? PLEEEEEEEZE?!?

Hate to see you go, Mark. I had similar feelings a year or so ago (after
Katrina and helm&t threads, of all things). Decided to plonk abusive
posters (including HWNMNBU) and it's been at least tolerable ever since.

Bill "words to live by: don't let the a-holes get you down" S.

PS: WTH will you do with all that extra time?!? LOL

I have lurked here on and off for a number of years and have always enjoyed
your perspective. Sorry to see you go but can undrstand.

>I had an epiphany. Last night, I was getting a painful deep massage
> to help with the effects of my bike accident in 2003. The nice young
> woman was leaning heavily toward me to better drive the point of her
> elbow into the very sore muscles of my neck. I thought "I'm paying
> her to hurt me this much - I don't really have to put up with the
> pain". Of course, I didn't stop her because I benefit from the
> process, however painful.
>
> Which brings me to the current state of the rec.bicycles newsgroups.
> I've been frequenting them for over 15 years, and (particularly in the
> early years) have learned much, and tried to share what I know through
> those years. But it struck me as I was enduring the pain of that
> massage that participation in the newsgroups gets more painful by the
> year, but no longer holds any particular benefit for me. Technical
> discussions break down into pointless bluster as often as not (ala
> "jim beam") and discussions about social issues have long since ceased
> to hold any promise of civil discourse.
>
> And it only gets more and more shrill as time goes by.
>
> Character assassination has become the chief tool for those who prefer
> to avoid facts that run contrary to their world view, and I've
> increasingly been the target of these attacks.
>
> It strikes me that most of the "high-content contributors" have also
> left these newsgroups over the years, and it's easy to see why. I
> suspect that the content to noise ratio is only going to get worse as
> time goes by.
>
> JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series, but
> they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this is no
> longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my time. I
> have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four new
> granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.
>
> So, it's with absolute joy and anticipation that I bid you all a fond
> farewell. I've got the same kind of feeling that you get when you're
> finishing up a tedious task before walking out the door on a long
> vacation. I'm psyched. For this, I can only thank JT for doing his
> part to bring this long, glorious waste of time to an end.
>
> Happy trails,
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:33:12 -0700, Mark Hickey wrote:

<snip>

> So, it's with absolute joy and anticipation that I bid you all a fond
> farewell.

I hope you'll reconsider at some point. I don't agree with your politics,
but I think you've been a voice of reason on matters of bicycle
technology, which this list is purportedly about. The reign of the yippy
dogs seems once step closer with your departure.

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:33:12 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
wrote:

>JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series, but
>they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this is no
>longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my time. I
>have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four new
>granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.

You're a coward. All you have to do is not talk about politics and I
wont bring up your more disgusting political views. Or even killfile
me.

Actually you've been a coward and a bully (threatening to sue me for
libel!).

--
JT
****************************

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:33:12 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series, but
>> they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this is no
>> longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my time.
>> I have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four new
>> granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.

> You're a coward. All you have to do is not talk about politics and I
> wont bring up your more disgusting political views. Or even killfile
> me.
>
> Actually you've been a coward and a bully (threatening to sue me for
> libel!).

There are more gracious ways of having the last word.

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:46:27 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:33:12 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series, but
>>they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this is no
>>longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my time. I
>>have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four new
>>granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.

> You're a coward. All you have to do is not talk about politics and I
> wont bring up your more disgusting political views. Or even killfile
> me.
>
> Actually you've been a coward and a bully (threatening to sue me for
> libel!).

Do let us know how this progresses - if at all.

Gary Young wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:33:12 -0700, Mark Hickey wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> So, it's with absolute joy and anticipation that I bid you all a fond
>> farewell.

> I hope you'll reconsider at some point. I don't agree with your
> politics, but I think you've been a voice of reason on matters of
> bicycle technology, which this list is purportedly about. The reign
> of the yippy dogs seems once step closer with your departure.

Just look at Mark's "Floyd Thread". He posts an opinionated narrative about
attending a presentation /relevant to cycling/. He's then personally
attacked /because he's a conservative/. Then Flogger chimes in with lies
and misrepresentations about what he's said in the past. (For example, how
does one answer an angry, baseless charge of, say, racism? One is
automatically put on the defensive, and can either ignore it -- tacitly
accept? -- or "protest too much" and be drawn into a senseless flame war.
Totally no-win.)

I hope Mark will reconsider because SHUTTING OUT OPPOSING VOICES is an
obvious tactic of a certain political movement nowadays, and by his bowing
out it's playing right into their pocket-picking hands.

One suggestion I wish he'd try: plonk those abusive, personal attackers and
see what happens. If they don't provoke responses, maybe (MAYBE) they'll
stop the baiting. (And he won't see it, anyway.)

Worth a shot, Mark?!?

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:56:01 +0200, "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dans le message de news:[email protected],
>John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
>déclaré :
>> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:33:12 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series, but
>>> they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this is no
>>> longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my time.
>>> I have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four new
>>> granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.

>> You're a coward. All you have to do is not talk about politics and I
>> wont bring up your more disgusting political views. Or even killfile
>> me.
>>
>> Actually you've been a coward and a bully (threatening to sue me for
>> libel!).

>There are more gracious ways of having the last word.

Indeed.

--
JT
****************************

Sandy wrote:
> Dans le message de news:[email protected],
> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis
> a déclaré :
>> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 06:33:12 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> JT's pernicious accusations are just the latest in a long series,
>>> but they're the ones that opened my eyes to the reality that this
>>> is no longer any fun, and there are many better ways I can spend my
>>> time. I have a very full life, a wonderful family (including four
>>> new granddaughters). I can ride my bike more.

>> You're a coward. All you have to do is not talk about politics and I
>> wont bring up your more disgusting political views. Or even killfile
>> me.

And there you have it: Mark can't contribute to a political
thread/discussion because Flogger doesn't like (and completely
misrepresents) his views.

>> Actually you've been a coward and a bully (threatening to sue me for
>> libel!).

He should. Too bad Flogger's not worth it.

> There are more gracious ways of having the last word.

What is the Left so afraid of? Why does it want to SILENCE opposing
opinions? ("The debate is over." "There is Consensus." Its talking heads
name-call all the time, but let someone on the Right answer in kind and it's
"hate speech" and the "politics of personal destruction". Hypocrisy is what
it is.) Instead of debating issues, the left goes personal almost
immediately; then it has a conniption fit if someone calls it.

And again, by Mark bowing out it gives them exactly what they're trying to
achieve.

Another year or so and this might as well be a blog...

BS

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:09:13 -0700, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Just look at Mark's "Floyd Thread". He posts an opinionated narrative about
>attending a presentation /relevant to cycling/. He's then personally
>attacked /because he's a conservative/.

Ahh, let's fill in the blanks.

The discussion was only about cycling until *you* brought up Scooter
Libby.

I said something equally non-cycling in response to your post. Then
Mark Hickey said something non-cycling in response to mine. Then I
went back at him.

So *you* were the first person who brought non-cycling stuff/political
stuff into that thread.

And *Mark* was the first person (between Mark and me) to talk about
politics.

I was the last -- at least as far as Hickey is concerned.

--
JT
****************************

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:23:13 -0700, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Mark can't contribute to a political
>thread/discussion because Flogger doesn't like (and completely
>misrepresents) his views.

Mark can contribute all he wants. But if he can't take other people
pointing out the evil nature of his political views, he might want to
avoid it. Just a suggestion.
--
JT

Mark Hickey wrote: