Goodbye

On May 2, 2:37 am, Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Ted Bennett wrote:
> >

> [Bill Baka:]
> > I hate illegal human trash that refuses to learn our language or customs.
> > Why the hell do we celebrate Cinco De Mayo but Mexico ignores the 4th of
> > July?
> > Do you have the smarts to figure out this is wrong?
> > Try to immigrate to Mexico and demand welfare and literature printed in
> > English and you will find yourself in a Mexican prison in a hurry.
> > If you can't figure out the injustice there then don't bother to reply.
> >

> I don't see the injustice, but I'll reply anyway. Mexico can celebrate
> any holidays it wants, just like the US can. It can print its
> literature in Spanish only if it wants to. And the US can control its
> borders if it really wants to. But it doesn't want to, obviously.
> There are about 12 million people in the US who came here illegally.

Well, I think things are more complicated.

First, what Bill says about Mexico is right, from what I read. In
fact, it's been pointed out that Mexico's immigration and illegal
alien laws are far harsher than those of the US. It would seem that
if we matched theirs, law by law, that nobody in Mexico could
complain. But they'd never buy that.

Second, it's wrong to say the US doesn't want to control its borders.
Certainly _many_ Americans - perhaps most Americans - want to control
the borders. But, as is usual with our messy democracy, there are
those who disagree. Some who disagree are hoping their brother Juan
(or, to be fair, Seamus) can someday sneak in. Others are folks who
want cheap, non-protesting labor for their companies so they can speed
up their yacht purchase.

> Why are they not being deported? Because we don't want to pay more for
> food, for construction or you name it.

Well, that's part of it. But just being able to find them is a
problem! And, of course, if we do deport them, we get protesters in
the streets objecting to our enforcement of the law.

It's a weird and complicated world.

- Frank Krygowski

Ted Bennett wrote:
>>> Heh. Peaked socially in the 50's? Blacks, gays, Japanese might disagree
>>> with that assessment.
>>>
>>> Your fear of "Mexicans" taking over the US of A fits right in with that.
>>>

>> I hate illegal human trash that refuses to learn our language or customs.
>> Why the hell do we celebrate Cinco De Mayo but Mexico ignores the 4th of
>> July?
>> Do you have the smarts to figure out this is wrong?
>> Try to immigrate to Mexico and demand welfare and literature printed in
>> English and you will find yourself in a Mexican prison in a hurry.
>> If you can't figure out the injustice there then don't bother to reply.
>> Bill Baka

> I don't see the injustice, but I'll reply anyway. Mexico can celebrate
> any holidays it wants, just like the US can.

Go to Mexico and start making a big deal about the fourth of July and
see if you wind up in their prison system. They do not tolerate us
unless we are spending lots of money down there.

It can print its
> literature in Spanish only if it wants to.

Now go down there and demonstrate and demand it in English.

No ****, Sherlock. Try illegally immigrating to Canada.

> Why are they not being deported? Because we don't want to pay more for
> food, for construction or you name it.

Because we don't want our kids to have jobs.
Hershey just announced plans to close their American plants and move all
production to Mexico. That will put well over 1,000 Americans out of
work and I won't knowingly eat anything from Mexico.
The job you lose may be your own.
No more Hersheys for me.
Bill (Still American first) Baka

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Tue, 01 May 2007 19:18:56 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Accept this then. In the 50's I, as a youth, was unaware of the problem.

> I accept that.
>
> Now, in the 00's, as in informed person, you should be aware there was
> a big problem back then. That's all I'm saying.

Truce.
Bill Baka

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 May 2007 00:56:16 -0700, [email protected]
> (Tom Keats) concluded:
>
> >Yer mixte XtraCyle is lookin' Hot-2-Trot!

> She's a sweet machine, eh. Took her out this morning to collect a
> vacuum cleaner from the repair shop and then stopped to pick up a big
> bag of lentils and can of mixed pickles from the Indian grocery.
> It's not too whippy with the loads I normally carry but the bolt
> upright riding position practically demands a more sedate pace.
>
> Tonight I rode the Miyata to a meeting. I was in a hurry to make it
> on time and then arrived 7 minutes early.
>
> Neither bike has yet earned a moniker.

Never mind the XtraCycle, tell us more about the Miyata!

On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:23:43 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Never mind the XtraCycle, tell us more about the Miyata!

It was given to me in December by a friend who I'd helped move.

It's a 1986 Miyata One Thousand. Triple butted Cro-Mo frame with good
old-fashioned touring geometry. The paint isn't even too bad.

It doesn't have the original 40 spoke rear wheel and came without a
saddle or pedals. The chain, 6 spd freewheel and middle chain ring
had to be replaced before it would pedal under load without skipping.
I set it up with a shorter extension stem, moustache bars and
bar-cons. Replaced the freewheel with a seven speed, added new
fenders, 28mm tires, Eggbeaters and a Brooks Pro.

It's my new joe-bike. After riding mostly 26" wheeled bikes these
past six years it's a joy to have a fast commuter.
--
zk

In rec.bicycles.misc John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 May 2007 02:43:47 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>>still me wrote:
>>>
>>> POint of order "Jewish" isn't a language :)

>>What, then? Yiddish?
>>I don't know all of em.

> Just call it "foreigner" and you'll be fine. "My dad had to try to
> speak foreigner to be understood by them. Learn ENGLISH!"

It works best if you speak. really. slowly. AND. REALLY. LOUDLY.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Human cardiac catheterization was introduced by Werner Forssman in 1929.

On Wed, 02 May 2007 02:43:47 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>What, then? Yiddish?
>I don't know all of em.
>Bill Baka

Yiddish or Hebrew (which are entirely different languages, if Yiddish
is a language).

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:23:43 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >Never mind the XtraCycle, tell us more about the Miyata!

> It was given to me in December by a friend who I'd helped move.
>
> It's a 1986 Miyata One Thousand. Triple butted Cro-Mo frame with good
> old-fashioned touring geometry. The paint isn't even too bad.
>
> It doesn't have the original 40 spoke rear wheel and came without a
> saddle or pedals. The chain, 6 spd freewheel and middle chain ring
> had to be replaced before it would pedal under load without skipping.
> I set it up with a shorter extension stem, moustache bars and
> bar-cons. Replaced the freewheel with a seven speed, added new
> fenders, 28mm tires, Eggbeaters and a Brooks Pro.
>
> It's my new joe-bike. After riding mostly 26" wheeled bikes these
> past six years it's a joy to have a fast commuter.

Fast indeed. The 1000, if I remember correctly, was the top of the
Miyata line. What was your thinking on Eggbeaters versus SPDs? I ask
partly because I'm in the process of moving from mostly SPDs to mostly
Crank Brothers pedals for one reason: muck clearance during cyclocross
races (Eggbeaters are good at it, SPDs aren't).

But that's the only reason I changed.

On Thu, 03 May 2007 03:56:01 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote, in part:
\
>> I set it up with a shorter extension stem, moustache bars and
>> bar-cons. Replaced the freewheel with a seven speed, added new
>> fenders, 28mm tires, Eggbeaters and a Brooks Pro.
>>
>> It's my new joe-bike. After riding mostly 26" wheeled bikes these
>> past six years it's a joy to have a fast commuter.

>Fast indeed. The 1000, if I remember correctly, was the top of the
>Miyata line.

The only difference I noted looking at a model 600 of the same era is
the 1000 has better equipment and butted Cro-Mo fork blades. I think
they were infamous for coming stock with radial tires.

>What was your thinking on Eggbeaters versus SPDs? I ask
>partly because I'm in the process of moving from mostly SPDs to mostly
>Crank Brothers pedals for one reason: muck clearance during cyclocross
>races (Eggbeaters are good at it, SPDs aren't).
>
>But that's the only reason I changed.

The sole reason I even considered clipless pedals of any sort is that
I fell in love with a picture of the Eggbeaters at Muzi's Yellow
Jersey site. After handling a pair at MEC, I had to have them.

I bought three pairs of the original SS and Cro-Mo ones. Crank Bros.
later offered them in more exotic materials. They've also added a
couple lower end models of the Eggbeater.Their newer designs appear
ugly to me. I mean, they've rendered two or three sides of a
perfectly good pedal totally useless by adding platforms.

Eggbeaters were, and still are, the only clipless pedal design that
ever looked like it was done right. The ruggedly simple design
wouldn't be out of place on an ordinary. They're plainly elegant.

My choosing Eggbeaters was purely an aesthetic decision.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>,
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 03 May 2007 03:56:01 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
> wrote, in part:
> \
> >> I set it up with a shorter extension stem, moustache bars and
> >> bar-cons. Replaced the freewheel with a seven speed, added new
> >> fenders, 28mm tires, Eggbeaters and a Brooks Pro.
> >>
> >> It's my new joe-bike. After riding mostly 26" wheeled bikes these
> >> past six years it's a joy to have a fast commuter.

> >Fast indeed. The 1000, if I remember correctly, was the top of the
> >Miyata line.

> The only difference I noted looking at a model 600 of the same era is
> the 1000 has better equipment and butted Cro-Mo fork blades. I think
> they were infamous for coming stock with radial tires.
>
> >What was your thinking on Eggbeaters versus SPDs? I ask
> >partly because I'm in the process of moving from mostly SPDs to mostly
> >Crank Brothers pedals for one reason: muck clearance during cyclocross
> >races (Eggbeaters are good at it, SPDs aren't).
> >
> >But that's the only reason I changed.

> The sole reason I even considered clipless pedals of any sort is that
> I fell in love with a picture of the Eggbeaters at Muzi's Yellow
> Jersey site. After handling a pair at MEC, I had to have them.
>
> I bought three pairs of the original SS and Cro-Mo ones. Crank Bros.
> later offered them in more exotic materials. They've also added a
> couple lower end models of the Eggbeater.Their newer designs appear
> ugly to me. I mean, they've rendered two or three sides of a
> perfectly good pedal totally useless by adding platforms.
>
> Eggbeaters were, and still are, the only clipless pedal design that
> ever looked like it was done right. The ruggedly simple design
> wouldn't be out of place on an ordinary. They're plainly elegant.
>
> My choosing Eggbeaters was purely an aesthetic decision.

heh. I utterly sympathize on the matter of aesthetics, and own a set of
the Egg Beaters.

But I also have a set of Candys (and now some Smartys, which are the
cheapo Candy version). The reason for me buying the platform versions
was for cyclocross: when I remount, a miss on an Egg Beater is a bit
dicey, while with the Candy you still get a decent platform to put your
foot on.

This is, of course, a somewhat esoteric concern.

In another thread Mark Hickey wrote:
>You've gotta go beyond CNN for your news, JT.

Well, certainly CNN has flaws, but Mark's implication that CNN has
liberal bias on politics is really being destroyed right now -- look
at the contrast of coverage of discussions with Syrian leaders by
Condelezza Rice, Nancy Pelosi, and Rebuplican congresspeople.
--
JT
****************************

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
> In another thread Mark Hickey wrote:
>> You've gotta go beyond CNN for your news, JT.

> Well, certainly CNN has flaws, but Mark's implication that CNN has
> liberal bias on politics is really being destroyed right now -- look
> at the contrast of coverage of discussions with Syrian leaders by
> Condelezza Rice, Nancy Pelosi, and Rebuplican congresspeople.

YOU PROMISED !!!!!!! :-(