General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Gout vs. meat?

Started by Andy · · Last activity · 106 posts · 1,004 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 June 2007
Last activity
10 June 2007
Original author
Andy
Posts
106
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,004
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 101–106 of 106
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Paul M. Cook said:


    "notbob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy q said:


    That's hardly all there is to it!

    Yep. Besides, I'm a hot dog junkie. Eat 'em by the truckload. My
    current fave is the National Hebrew 1/4 lb'ers. Yum!

    Well they are made from kosher cuts of meat, so you can be assured they have
    no offal in them. I think the Yiddish word is trafe. So anyway, this sure
    makes me think of hot dogs. Yummo. Oops! I meant yummy.

    Paul

    i thought the hot dogs were kosher because they've been circumcised.

    your pal,
    blake

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    blake murphy said:
    Paul M. Cook said:


    "notbob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 2007-06-07, Andy <q> wrote:
    >
    > That's hardly all there is to it!

    Yep. Besides, I'm a hot dog junkie. Eat 'em by the truckload. My
    current fave is the National Hebrew 1/4 lb'ers. Yum!

    Well they are made from kosher cuts of meat, so you can be assured they have
    no offal in them. I think the Yiddish word is trafe. So anyway, this sure
    makes me think of hot dogs. Yummo. Oops! I meant yummy.

    Paul

    i thought the hot dogs were kosher because they've been circumcised.

    your pal,
    blake

    <laffs>
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  3. Goomba38 said:
    Andy said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I also might suggest a rheumatologist.
    A needle aspiration would confirm uric acid crystals in the joint.
    Most patients decline however.
    Without that, you don't know if it's gout, pseudogout, or something
    else entirely. When one doctor thought I had gout, a second doctor
    thought it more likely an injury or other inflammation.]
    S.

    Quoted message said:

    Steve,

    C'mon! You don't have to be a doctor to see gout inflamation! But you


    can't

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    be me either. I thought it was a re-injury of my foot.

    Actually Steve is pretty much on target. Even syphillis can cause joint
    problems.

    Yep, the first time I had a needle aspiration for gout they also gave me a
    syphilis blood test, just to be on the safe side...

    Of course the MORON lab tech misdiagnosed the fluid, for several days the
    MD's were coming in and trying to figger out what I had. Finally one of
    them took another sample, sure enough it was gout. How the lab tech
    initially missed it I don't know...the uric acid crystals are very easy to
    see.

    [The fluid is clear - yellowish with a few specks of blood...]

    Last time I was hospitalised for gout it was in both of my knees, they were
    full of fluid and they had to really poke and probe in TWO separate sessions
    to aspirate the fluid sacs...not pleasant. At least the second time I was
    all doped up and watching _The Munsters_ on TV while the doc was doing his
    digging...

    ;-)

    --
    Best
    Greg

  4. Skyhooks said:
    Steve Pope said:


    (snip)

    Quoted message said:

    ..... When one doctor thought I had gout, a second doctor
    thought it more likely an injury or other inflammation.]

    S.

    Injury to the body can sometimes bring on an episode of gout. I've seen
    it happen.

    Tripping on something, stubbing one's toe, or even an ill - fitting pair of
    shoes can trigger a gout attack...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  5. Glasswalker said:

    "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    As pepperoni brought on your bout'o'gout, too much buffalo meat (super
    protein) brought on mine, I'm only guessing. As I said I tried to sneak


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    buffalo burg with bad gout side effect. 🙁(

    I have been drinking some TJ's "Just Cherry" juice with no noticable
    effect. More orange and pineapple and tomato juice. No gout aggrevation
    from them.

    Thanks,

    Andy

    I can't remember for sure, but buffalo meat looks about the same as ground
    beef, right? I don't know that it makes a difference, it's just one of
    those weird things that can get stuck in your head, but when I read that
    'red' meat can induce a bout'o'gout (love that!), I immediately blamed the
    pepperoni. I had been getting a pound of it that wasn't sliced, cutting


    off

    Quoted message said:

    hunks of it and eating with a baguette.

    Game meats generally can aggravate gout, best to avoid, even if the meats
    are very low fat...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  6. Skyhooks said:
    Glasswalker said:


    Since there seem to be quite a bit of folks that have or are suffering


    from

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    gout here, has anyone else had gout present in your fingers and not your
    feet? That's how mine did, and one of the reasons the doc wasn't 100%


    sure

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that it was gout (even with the slight presence of the uric acid


    crystals).

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    The middle knuckle of my middle finger swelled immensely to a point


    where I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    couldn't bend it at all. Made for fun times though when I had to wrap


    it to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    keep it immoblized.

    "No, I'm just making a fist, I promise!" ;^)

    -Glasswalker-

    Spouse has had gout in the jaw, hands and elbows a few times but mostly
    gets periodic episodes in the lower limb joints, and it isn't pretty
    when that happens 🙁

    I've had it fingers and hands, once in the elbow...it *really* likes my
    knees for some reason.

    And the jaw - OUCH...!!!

    Spouse takes allopurinol daily as a prophylactic

    Quoted message said:

    and will use colchicine when the hint of an attack threatens, which nips
    it in the bud most of the time. But, the side effects of colchicine are
    something to be reckoned with (stay close to the bathroom!).

    Ain't it the truth...

    ;--)

    When I've taken colchicine I've also been prescribed very strong
    antacids...didn't help matters too much.

    --
    Best
    Greg

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.