Grease for bike

>> BTW, thanks for the tip on the boat trailer grease, never thought of
>> that.
>>
>> I like Phil grease for cables and light duty stuff. I found that it
>> seeps out of bearings over time in high temperature locations but it's
>> never dried out or hardened on me. I use sealed hubs and BBs in wet
>> weather.

> Phil grease is a marine grease, allegedly developed for saltwater fishing
> reels.

And works really well for bicycles. I've been using Phil grease for... well
literally a number of decades. It's never dried up, it doesn't seem to
attract contaminants, and... well, it just plain works. And a little tube
for the outrageous price of $6... well yes, it might be a lot to pay for a
small tube of grease, but for the average cyclist, it's going to last for
several years of overhauls. Unless you're brushing your teeth with it, which
I would *not* recommend, as it tastes dreadful (don't ask me how I know.
Shop secret.).

Last year I found a tube of Phil grease while cleaning out an old cabinet in
the garage. It was literally over 20 years old. The grease hadn't separated
and has been put to good use since.

And yeah, again, it's not cheap, not compared to buying tubs of wheel
bearing grease at an auto supply store or whatever. But it's one of those
affordable luxuries that even a bike shop owner can splurge on.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:50:12 -0800, * * Chas wrote:
>
>> BTW, thanks for the tip on the boat trailer grease, never thought of
>> that.
>>
>> I like Phil grease for cables and light duty stuff. I found that it
>> seeps out of bearings over time in high temperature locations but it's
>> never dried out or hardened on me. I use sealed hubs and BBs in wet
>> weather.

> Phil grease is a marine grease, allegedly developed for saltwater fishing
> reels.
>
> Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Pete Biggs"
<[email protected]>
wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
>
> > Really? 'Lithium' is derived from a word meaning white.
> > This is because lithium is white, very white; and this
> > is why lithium grease is white. Can you show me
> > evidence of lithium grease that is not white?

> http://www.dek.com/data/LM%20Grease%20(1631)%20SDS.pdf - section 9

The grease is brown.
Does not include lithium in the list of ingredients.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Pete Biggs"
> <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Michael Press wrote:
>>
>>> Really? 'Lithium' is derived from a word meaning white.
>>> This is because lithium is white, very white; and this
>>> is why lithium grease is white. Can you show me
>>> evidence of lithium grease that is not white?

>> http://www.dek.com/data/LM%20Grease%20(1631)%20SDS.pdf - section 9

> The grease is brown.
> Does not include lithium in the list of ingredients.

There is no list of ingredients there other than "oil, thickener and
additives". LM Grease is well known to be lithium based. The evidence you
wanted was about its colour.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9002192&contentId=7002857

"Lithium based"

~PB

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 00:38:07 +0000, Michael Press wrote:
> >
> > > Do not know. I know that Li grease is more water
> > > resistant than standard grease.

> > Almost all commonly available grease is Li grease, whether it's labeled
> > that way or not. Synthetic or mineral, it's still usually Li grease.

> Really? 'Lithium' is derived from a word meaning white.
> This is because lithium is white, very white; and this
> is why lithium grease is white. Can you show me
> evidence of lithium grease that is not white?

Lithium thickener itself may be white, but there are other additives in
grease that can change the color significantly.

My personal favorite is a lithium-complex marine grease with
molydisulfide. It's a lithium grease, but it's black because of the
moly. (It's overkill for cycling, but I'd rather have one grease gun
full of good grease than have to keep a second one around just for
bikes.)

If you go to www.mcmaster.com and search for lithium grease, you'll find
it in white, red, brown, purple, black, and green, among other colors,
depending on the other additives.

One that's popular for cycling is Mobilith AW-2, a lithium-complex
grease from Mobil that's a dark greenish color. Even comes in 3oz
cartridges to fit Phil-style grease guns, as well as full-size
cartridges for standard grease guns.

--
[email protected] is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Pete Biggs"
> <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Michael Press wrote:
> >
> > > Really? 'Lithium' is derived from a word meaning white.
> > > This is because lithium is white, very white; and this
> > > is why lithium grease is white. Can you show me
> > > evidence of lithium grease that is not white?

> > http://www.dek.com/data/LM%20Grease%20(1631)%20SDS.pdf - section 9

> The grease is brown.
> Does not include lithium in the list of ingredients.

The list of ingredients just says "thickener and additives" but it is a
lithium grease as described at:
http://www.oomco.com/castrol/castrol_commercial_greases.asp

Pure elemental lithium is a metal and has a shiny silver appearance.
Of course you wouldn't want to have it in that form in your bicycle
grease since it reacts rather violently with water. The color of the
grease would depend on other ingredients.

Artoi wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Johnny Sunset" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Artoi wrote:
> > > Like many things for bicycles, grease is just as ridiculously over
> > > priced. A small tube can go up to $18, just crazy.
> > >
> > > So I am wondering if there's anything negative for using tubs of grease
> > > sold by automotive shops. For $3 less, I can get a small tub of high
> > > quality Li based grease with PTFE added. I am wondering if there's
> > > anything negative for using this on my bike than those from the LBS?...

> > YES, there is a NEGATIVE.
> >
> > You can not brag about the expensive grease you use on your expensive
> > bike, after you ride it to the coffee shop three blocks from your home.

> Oh yes I can. This grease I bought is red in colour and is quite
> visible. I'll leave a tiny residue for people to see and brag about it.
> I'll just have make up a story on some exotic red grease ingredient. :D
> --

A big positive for red synthetic grease: It can also be used in
cooking. Fact is, there's nothing like it for a pan-fried breakfast,
even though it costs more than lard and makes the egg whites look just
a little bit pink.

Here to help, -bg

Do people use the Park product, the polylube 1000 and how does it compare to
Phil's? Park generally is a quality company.

"RS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do people use the Park product, the polylube 1000 and how does it

compare to
> Phil's? Park generally is a quality company.

I bought a can to try. It's about twice as viscous as Phil grease and
smells (bad) like it has a little bit of sulfur in the ingredients. It
also looks like there's some lithium in the formula. I have 4 bikes to
overhaul this coming winter and I'm going to use Park grease on them.

I have 2 or 3 tubes of Phil grease. One of them is at least is 20 years
old and still has the same consistency as a new tube. Phil grease has
never hardened up. I have a number of older sets of Phil hubs and BBs
that are factory packed with Phil grease and they run great. One BB is
over 30 years old and still runs smooth. The only problem I've found
with Phil grease is that in high temperature locations it can thin a
little and seep out of the bearings, especially head sets.

For many years I used Quaker State wheel bearing grease. After 10 years
or so it broke down and the oil separated out on several of my bikes.

Chas.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> >> BTW, thanks for the tip on the boat trailer grease, never thought of
> >> that.
> >>
> >> I like Phil grease for cables and light duty stuff. I found that it
> >> seeps out of bearings over time in high temperature locations but it's
> >> never dried out or hardened on me. I use sealed hubs and BBs in wet
> >> weather.

> > Phil grease is a marine grease, allegedly developed for saltwater fishing
> > reels.

> And works really well for bicycles. I've been using Phil grease for... well
> literally a number of decades. It's never dried up, it doesn't seem to
> attract contaminants, and... well, it just plain works. And a little tube
> for the outrageous price of $6... well yes, it might be a lot to pay for a
> small tube of grease, but for the average cyclist, it's going to last for
> several years of overhauls. Unless you're brushing your teeth with it, which
> I would *not* recommend, as it tastes dreadful (don't ask me how I know.
> Shop secret.).
>
> Last year I found a tube of Phil grease while cleaning out an old cabinet in
> the garage. It was literally over 20 years old. The grease hadn't separated
> and has been put to good use since.
>
> And yeah, again, it's not cheap, not compared to buying tubs of wheel
> bearing grease at an auto supply store or whatever. But it's one of those
> affordable luxuries that even a bike shop owner can splurge on.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Wish it smelled better....

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> > > Phil grease is a marine grease, allegedly developed for saltwater fishing
> > > reels.

> > And works really well for bicycles. I've been using Phil grease for... well
> > literally a number of decades. It's never dried up, it doesn't seem to
> > attract contaminants, and... well, it just plain works. And a little tube
> > for the outrageous price of $6... well yes, it might be a lot to pay for a
> > small tube of grease, but for the average cyclist, it's going to last for
> > several years of overhauls. Unless you're brushing your teeth with it, which
> > I would *not* recommend, as it tastes dreadful (don't ask me how I know.
> > Shop secret.).
> >
> > Last year I found a tube of Phil grease while cleaning out an old cabinet in
> > the garage. It was literally over 20 years old. The grease hadn't separated
> > and has been put to good use since.
> >
> > And yeah, again, it's not cheap, not compared to buying tubs of wheel
> > bearing grease at an auto supply store or whatever. But it's one of those
> > affordable luxuries that even a bike shop owner can splurge on.
> >
> > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> Wish it smelled better....

Have you tried "Polo[1] Waterproof Lubricant"? A little pricey, but it
smells great. ;-)

[1] -TM Ralph Lauren

> Wish it smelled better....

OK, I'll fess up to how I know it tastes bad. My service manager and a
couple of employees were getting into a bit of a gross-out contest of some
sort, with the service manager daring one of the other guys to eat some Phil
grease for $5. He was joking, and assumed they wouldn't do it, but I could
tell that one of the guys was going to take him up on it, which meant
calling the service manager's bluff. That would have put him in a bad spot,
plus I really didn't think this is something that should be encouraged, so I
grabbed the tube myself and... well, the rest is history. It made the
challenge irrelevant, and I found out that it's not just that Phil tastes
bad, but it kills your tongue for HOURS. I couldn't get rid of that taste
for nearly a day. No amount of scrubbing with a toothbrush did any good.
Maybe if I'd used White Lightning Cleanstreak?

Anyway, don't try tasting Phil grease. Take my word for it.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

>> > Phil grease is a marine grease, allegedly developed for saltwater
>> > fishing
>> > reels.

>> And works really well for bicycles. I've been using Phil grease for...
>> well
>> literally a number of decades. It's never dried up, it doesn't seem to
>> attract contaminants, and... well, it just plain works. And a little tube
>> for the outrageous price of $6... well yes, it might be a lot to pay for
>> small tube of grease, but for the average cyclist, it's going to last for
>> several years of overhauls. Unless you're brushing your teeth with it,
>> which
>> I would *not* recommend, as it tastes dreadful (don't ask me how I know.
>> Shop secret.).
>>
>> Last year I found a tube of Phil grease while cleaning out an old cabinet
>> in
>> the garage. It was literally over 20 years old. The grease hadn't
>> separated
>> and has been put to good use since.
>>
>> And yeah, again, it's not cheap, not compared to buying tubs of wheel
>> bearing grease at an auto supply store or whatever. But it's one of those
>> affordable luxuries that even a bike shop owner can splurge on.
>>
>> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> Wish it smelled better....
>>

>> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:p[email protected]...

>> > Phil grease is a marine grease, allegedly developed for saltwater
>> > fishing
>> > reels.
>> >
>> > Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Pete Biggs"
<[email protected]>
wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Pete Biggs"
> > <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> http://www.dek.com/data/LM%20Grease%20(1631)%20SDS.pdf - section 9

> > The grease is brown.
> > Does not include lithium in the list of ingredients.

> There is no list of ingredients there other than "oil, thickener and
> additives". LM Grease is well known to be lithium based. The evidence you
> wanted was about its colour.
>
> http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9002192&contentId=7002857
>
> "Lithium based"

Check.

--
Michael Press

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 06:58:34 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

>>> BTW, thanks for the tip on the boat trailer grease, never thought of
>>> that.
>>>
>>> I like Phil grease for cables and light duty stuff. I found that it
>>> seeps out of bearings over time in high temperature locations but it's
>>> never dried out or hardened on me. I use sealed hubs and BBs in wet
>>> weather.

>> Phil grease is a marine grease, allegedly developed for saltwater fishing
>> reels.

> And works really well for bicycles. I've been using Phil grease for... well
> literally a number of decades. It's never dried up, it doesn't seem to
> attract contaminants, and... well, it just plain works. And a little tube
> for the outrageous price of $6... well yes, it might be a lot to pay for a
> small tube of grease, but for the average cyclist, it's going to last for
> several years of overhauls. Unless you're brushing your teeth with it, which
> I would *not* recommend, as it tastes dreadful (don't ask me how I know.
> Shop secret.).
>
> Last year I found a tube of Phil grease while cleaning out an old cabinet in
> the garage. It was literally over 20 years old. The grease hadn't separated
> and has been put to good use since.
>
> And yeah, again, it's not cheap, not compared to buying tubs of wheel
> bearing grease at an auto supply store or whatever. But it's one of those
> affordable luxuries that even a bike shop owner can splurge on.

It's good stuff, enough that I might even pay $6 for the more convenient
tube (compared to a tub). But it's not $6 in any bike shop I frequent,
more like $9.

That's as bad as $9 for a bulb for a Cateye Micro, which Radio Shack sells
for $1.25.

Matt O.

On 2006-11-15, Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Wish it smelled better....

> OK, I'll fess up to how I know it tastes bad. My service manager and a
> couple of employees were getting into a bit of a gross-out contest of some
> sort, with the service manager daring one of the other guys to eat some Phil
> grease for $5. He was joking, and assumed they wouldn't do it, but I could
> tell that one of the guys was going to take him up on it, which meant
> calling the service manager's bluff. That would have put him in a bad spot,
> plus I really didn't think this is something that should be encouraged, so I
> grabbed the tube myself and... well, the rest is history. It made the
> challenge irrelevant, and I found out that it's not just that Phil tastes
> bad, but it kills your tongue for HOURS. I couldn't get rid of that taste
> for nearly a day. No amount of scrubbing with a toothbrush did any good.
> Maybe if I'd used White Lightning Cleanstreak?
>
> Anyway, don't try tasting Phil grease. Take my word for it.

Isn't lithium also extremely toxic? Except in minute doses in which it's
sometimes used as an anti-depressant.

> It's good stuff, enough that I might even pay $6 for the more convenient
> tube (compared to a tub). But it's not $6 in any bike shop I frequent,
> more like $9.

It's quite a bit cheaper for the shop if they buy direct from Phil, rather
than through a distributor. Most shops probably don't realize you can do
that.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

news:p[email protected]...

>>> Phil grease is a marine grease, allegedly developed for saltwater
>>> fishing
>>> reels.

>> And works really well for bicycles. I've been using Phil grease for...
>> well
>> literally a number of decades. It's never dried up, it doesn't seem to
>> attract contaminants, and... well, it just plain works. And a little tube
>> for the outrageous price of $6... well yes, it might be a lot to pay for
>> small tube of grease, but for the average cyclist, it's going to last for
>> several years of overhauls. Unless you're brushing your teeth with it,
>> which
>> I would *not* recommend, as it tastes dreadful (don't ask me how I know.
>> Shop secret.).
>>
>> Last year I found a tube of Phil grease while cleaning out an old cabinet
>> in
>> the garage. It was literally over 20 years old. The grease hadn't
>> separated
>> and has been put to good use since.
>>
>> And yeah, again, it's not cheap, not compared to buying tubs of wheel
>> bearing grease at an auto supply store or whatever. But it's one of those
>> affordable luxuries that even a bike shop owner can splurge on.

> It's good stuff, enough that I might even pay $6 for the more convenient
> tube (compared to a tub). But it's not $6 in any bike shop I frequent,
> more like $9.
>
> That's as bad as $9 for a bulb for a Cateye Micro, which Radio Shack sells
> for $1.25.
>
> Matt O.

"Ben C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-11-15, Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Wish it smelled better....

> > OK, I'll fess up to how I know it tastes bad. My service manager and

> > couple of employees were getting into a bit of a gross-out contest

of some
> > sort, with the service manager daring one of the other guys to eat

some Phil
> > grease for $5. He was joking, and assumed they wouldn't do it, but I

could
> > tell that one of the guys was going to take him up on it, which

meant
> > calling the service manager's bluff. That would have put him in a

bad spot,
> > plus I really didn't think this is something that should be

encouraged, so I
> > grabbed the tube myself and... well, the rest is history. It made

the
> > challenge irrelevant, and I found out that it's not just that Phil

tastes
> > bad, but it kills your tongue for HOURS. I couldn't get rid of that

taste
> > for nearly a day. No amount of scrubbing with a toothbrush did any

good.
> > Maybe if I'd used White Lightning Cleanstreak?
> >
> > Anyway, don't try tasting Phil grease. Take my word for it.

> Isn't lithium also extremely toxic? Except in minute doses in which

it's
> sometimes used as an anti-depressant.

It's used as a treatment for bi-polar disorder.

http://www.igsli.org/general.html#Anchor-23240

Where's my Campy grease!!!

Chas.

On 2006-11-15, Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> wrote:

> Funny you should ask; I'm holding a container labeled: "LubriMatic
> Multi-Purpose Lithium Grease". It's a translucent tan/brown; certainly
> not white. Have LubriMatic mis-labeled the product, or are you in error
> on this matter?

Lithium grease is available in both white and non-white versions. The
white version is nice because it makes it more obvious when the grease
is contaminated. Penzoil #705 is a nice white grease for this.

--

John ([email protected])

On 2006-11-15, Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> wrote:

> OK, I'll fess up to how I know it tastes bad. My service manager and a
> couple of employees were getting into a bit of a gross-out contest of some
> sort, with the service manager daring one of the other guys to eat some Phil
> grease for $5. He was joking, and assumed they wouldn't do it, but I could
> tell that one of the guys was going to take him up on it, which meant
> calling the service manager's bluff. That would have put him in a bad spot,
> plus I really didn't think this is something that should be encouraged, so I
> grabbed the tube myself and... well, the rest is history. It made the
> challenge irrelevant, and I found out that it's not just that Phil tastes
> bad, but it kills your tongue for HOURS. I couldn't get rid of that taste
> for nearly a day. No amount of scrubbing with a toothbrush did any good.
> Maybe if I'd used White Lightning Cleanstreak?

Just brush your teeth with kerosene and you won't be tasting that Phil
stuff anymore!

--

John "just kidding!" ([email protected])

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > Wish it smelled better....

> OK, I'll fess up to how I know it tastes bad. My service manager and a
> couple of employees were getting into a bit of a gross-out contest of some
> sort, with the service manager daring one of the other guys to eat some Phil
> grease for $5. He was joking, and assumed they wouldn't do it, but I could
> tell that one of the guys was going to take him up on it, which meant
> calling the service manager's bluff. That would have put him in a bad spot,
> plus I really didn't think this is something that should be encouraged, so I
> grabbed the tube myself and... well, the rest is history. It made the
> challenge irrelevant, and I found out that it's not just that Phil tastes
> bad, but it kills your tongue for HOURS. I couldn't get rid of that taste
> for nearly a day. No amount of scrubbing with a toothbrush did any good.
> Maybe if I'd used White Lightning Cleanstreak?
>
> Anyway, don't try tasting Phil grease. Take my word for it.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> >> And works really well for bicycles. I've been using Phil grease for...
> >> well
> >> literally a number of decades. It's never dried up, it doesn't seem to
> >> attract contaminants, and... well, it just plain works. And a little tube
> >> for the outrageous price of $6... well yes, it might be a lot to pay for
> >> small tube of grease, but for the average cyclist, it's going to last for
> >> several years of overhauls. Unless you're brushing your teeth with it,
> >> which
> >> I would *not* recommend, as it tastes dreadful (don't ask me how I know.
> >> Shop secret.).
> >>
> >> Last year I found a tube of Phil grease while cleaning out an old cabinet
> >> in
> >> the garage. It was literally over 20 years old. The grease hadn't
> >> separated
> >> and has been put to good use since.
> >>
> >> And yeah, again, it's not cheap, not compared to buying tubs of wheel
> >> bearing grease at an auto supply store or whatever. But it's one of those
> >> affordable luxuries that even a bike shop owner can splurge on.
> >>
> >> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> >> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Used to use 'Bullshot', red grease, until I had a dab on my finger,
thought I had cut myself, licked it off...eeeewwwww....

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 01:12:30 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article
><[email protected]>,
> Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 00:38:07 +0000, Michael Press wrote:
>>
>> > Do not know. I know that Li grease is more water
>> > resistant than standard grease.

>> Almost all commonly available grease is Li grease, whether it's labeled
>> that way or not. Synthetic or mineral, it's still usually Li grease.

>Really? 'Lithium' is derived from a word meaning white.

No.

Greek "lithos" = "stone".