Grease on a New Bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Webby, Mar 9, 2003.

  1. Webby

    Webby Guest

    Hi all,

    I have seen that new bikes are coming with a covering of grease on the chain and rear cog wheels. Is
    this for "delivery protection" of the product until it passes to the hand of a customer or is this
    normal practice.

    Is this grease to be washed off and replaced by an oil lubricant?

    Cheers

    Webby

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    Leave it on..it penetrates very well into the bushings. It will collect dust on the outside fairly
    easily, but just wipe it off when it gets a little dirty. Clean as normal at your regular interval.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "Webby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have seen that new bikes are coming with a covering of grease on the chain and rear cog wheels.
    > Is this for "delivery protection" of the product until it passes to the hand of a customer or is
    > this normal practice.
    >
    > Is this grease to be washed off and replaced by an oil lubricant?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Webby
    >
    > --
    > rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or
    > contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    > http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

    --
    rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving posting problems, or contact
    the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/ Please read the charter before posting:
    http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

  3. Tauras

    Tauras Guest

    I'd get rid of it and go with a decent lube, loads to choose from, recently I switched to a
    greeseless LPS lube on the chain, its used for office equipment, gets about 25 miles before reapp
    and dust doesn't stick as bad. The problem with leaving greese on your chain is that is combines
    with dust/sand to form a sanding grit that eats your chain and eventually cassette, chain rings.
    Most chains uncared for and just oiled/greesed last about 400 miles of trail riding, if cared for
    you can double that. I wash off my chain with mild solvent then blow out the grit from the chain
    with compressed air which leaves a clean dry surface to lube. Good luck!

    Tauras http://www.slonet.org/~tsulaiti/surfreport/

    news:[email protected]...