Guru cycling machine?

gs12

Jul 30, 2013
Interested to know everyone's opinion on the Guru, and if anyone has been fitted on it. I recently was, and my setup was changed quiet a bit. I've gotten used to it, but my initial increase in performance has dwindled a bit.

So...Guru or old school master fitter?

If you don't mind answering, how much did your fitting cost? Was it done with Watt output v. position?

I go with old school 'me'. No one knows me like me.

If you look at performance riders from the higher end of road racing, the fit is all over the map. From leg extension, foot position on the pedal, pedaling style, saddle slammed back or forward, wide bars or narrow, crank arm length preferences, 10+ CM of bar drop with deep drop bars to half that drop with compact bars, 140 MM stems and long top tubes to 100 MM stems and more standard top tubes for riders of similar size/proportion...there is so much variation I just go with what works for me.

Damn...and I remember when the Fit Kit R.A.D. was high tech and all the rage. The latest version of the Guru looks like some machine shops, electrical engineers, software coders and platform integrators are making bank! That is one beautiful piece of machinery. I would definitely enjoy going thru a fitting session on the Guru to see what changes it might suggest.

Bob,

Fitting was $150 - it was both watt and output, basically to increase my effiency and engage my big muscles. The guy said my setup, from a shop owner before, was too upright, almost like a hybrid bike. Basically, i'm alot more forward now, my bars are further out, my stem angle was reduced and i think more extension in my legs. Yet, it's comfortable - because he adjusts the bike on the machine, but is constantly asking feedback on 'how it feels'.

I feel good on the bike, my efficiency increased immediately - but has floated back almost to what it was. Of course, im' also a newbie and there are probably a ton of other factors, including my increasing elevation.

Overall, since i think alot of this is mental - i'm glad i got it down, i feel good on the bike, just wish i cold gain more speed...lol.

"Overall, since i think alot of this is mental..."

You hit the nail on the head. It takes a hammerhead (no pun intended!) to go out and produce Watts, regardless of fit, position, experience, etc.

Some folks have the mentality and some don't. Some can condition their brains into becoming really high output riders and some never can. A whole lot of the bike game is mental.

Your more aero position will gain you some top end and make long high speed runs across the flats easier to sustain. I'm sure you will continue to see your speed on the flats increase.

Are you riding with others that are faster than you? Now that your position on the bike is dialed in, it's hammer time! Position is important, training is critical.

$150 is dirt cheap for the advice and knowledge base you received. It's one of the best investments a newer rider can make IMO. You were sitting on a piece of hardware that cost a metric ****-ton of money! I don't know the details of how the Guru works with its bike inventory database (or if they even used it during your fitting), but regardless of the technology involved it has been my limited experience that whatever the technology involved, the guy running the show is critical to getting a fit that works well for the rider.

I am highly impressed with the mechanical aspect of the Guru. That thing is a work of art.

Did your fit also involve the foot position analysis? If I understand you correctly, the person fitting you was repeatedly asking for feedback to changes, but was the power output monitored during the fitting? Crank RPM's? Respiration?

After fitting, were any suggestions made as to manufacturers or frame models with geometry that would best work with your fit/riding style? Was any change to your crank arm length suggested by the testing?

Quote: Originally Posted by gs12 .
The guy said my setup,

Did he now???
big-smile.png

0.jpg

@ Bob -

I generally ride alone, though on sundays i ride with a body who is very seasoned, and fast! He avgs about 18-19MPH, i'm more like 16MPH.

Per your other questions, the only other thing he suggested was wider bars - my shoulders are apparently fairly broad for my size (5-10, 170) and he suggested wider bars. He checked everything as i rode/tested - i was on for quiet awhile, and he kept cranking up the resistance, so i think i lost track of everything he was testing!

overall - happy i did it, though didn't get the wider bars....yet..