Handlebar tape wound wrong way?



Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roger

Guest
I have just taken delivery of a 2002 Dawes Audax and it's great. However, I reckon they have wound
the handlebar tape the wrong way, starting at the middle. This causes 2 problems - when I have my
hands just behind the hoods, the generally forward pressure I apply tends to "ruffle" the tape edges
and make them stick up. Even after my first ride around the block! Also, the ends of the tape at the
bar ends sticks up slightly. If they started at the ends, this end would be tucked under. But I
suppose that would just move the problem to the middle of the bars...

BTW there was a black tapered sticker about 7" long that came with the bike and I don't know what
it's for. Maybe it's to wrap around the bar end to stop the tape coming adrift. But then there
should have been 2 stickers, and they should have already been applied to the handlebars?

cheers Roger
 
C

Call Me Bob

Guest
On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 19:06:13 -0800, Roger <[email protected]> wrote:

>BTW there was a black tapered sticker about 7" long that came with the bike and I don't know what
>it's for.

Probably a chainstay protector. If you feel the need you can stick this over the top of your rear
chainstay to help avoid chips or scratches to the paintwork when your chain comes off.

Bob
--
Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage
 
N

Niv

Guest
It is usually stated to wrap bar tape starting at the bar ends; as you say. There is usually some
black tape to go over the tape end at the bar middle. However, I usually find electrical tape works
better, it's "stretchier" and winds round better.

On another note, ALWAYS put in the bar end plugs. Apparently, bar ends can act as "corers" and can
easily do serious damage to your femoral artery. If this happens, one could bleed to death in a few
minutes (sorry to be so cheery) !!

Niv.

"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have just taken delivery of a 2002 Dawes Audax and it's great. However, I reckon they have wound
> the handlebar tape the wrong way, starting at the middle. This causes 2 problems - when I have my
> hands just behind the hoods, the generally forward pressure I apply tends to "ruffle" the tape
> edges and make them stick up. Even after my first ride around the block! Also, the ends of the
> tape at the bar ends sticks up slightly. If they started at the ends, this end would be tucked
> under. But I suppose that would just move the problem to the middle of the
bars...
>
> BTW there was a black tapered sticker about 7" long that came with the bike and I don't know what
> it's for. Maybe it's to wrap around the bar end to stop the tape coming adrift. But then there
> should have been 2 stickers, and they should have already been applied to the handlebars?
>
> cheers Roger
 
M

Msa

Guest
Roger <[email protected]> wrote:
>

Tape wrong, blah blah, sticker blah blah...

Tape should be applied from the end of the bar first, working towards the stem. Top quality new tape
is only about £7, treat yourself in the colour of your choice.

The sticker sounds like a chainstay protector to me too...you only need one of these on the RHS.

--
Mark
______________________________________

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"
 
J

James G

Guest
"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have just taken delivery of a 2002 Dawes Audax and it's great. However, I reckon they have wound
> the handlebar tape the wrong way, starting at the middle. This causes 2 problems - when I have my
> hands just behind the hoods, the generally forward pressure I apply tends to "ruffle" the tape
> edges and make them stick up.

I was just thinking the same thing about my 2002 Dawes Giro 300, it starts from the middle and goes
to the end.
 
T

Tony Raven

Guest
MSA <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Tape should be applied from the end of the bar first, working towards the stem.

Its actually best to start at the brake levers and work in both directions. That way its the right
way round on the tops and the drops.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn
 
P

Pete Biggs

Guest
Roger wrote:
> I have just taken delivery of a 2002 Dawes Audax and it's great. However, I reckon they have wound
> the handlebar tape the wrong way, starting at the middle.

A lot of new bikes are supplied like that (my Dawes was too). I think it's done that way because
it's easier and quicker to do and produce a nicer looking result.

> This causes 2 problems - when I have my hands just behind the hoods, the generally forward
> pressure I apply tends to "ruffle" the tape edges and make them stick up. Even after my first ride
> around the block!

I agree that it's stupid and I always do mine the other way.

> BTW there was a black tapered sticker about 7" long that came with the bike and I don't know what
> it's for. Maybe it's to wrap around the bar end to stop the tape coming adrift. But then there
> should have been 2 stickers, and they should have already been applied to the handlebars?

Chain stay protector. Here's an original idea: Put it _underneath_ if you're in the habit of fixing
bike upside down :)

--
~PB This week, I am mostly listening to Ladytron
 
S

Sam Salt

Guest
Here's a link I found useful as regards bar tape wrapping.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/bartape.shtml

Sam Salt

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Roger wrote:
> > I have just taken delivery of a 2002 Dawes Audax and it's great. However, I reckon they have
> > wound the handlebar tape the wrong way, starting at the middle.
>
> A lot of new bikes are supplied like that (my Dawes was too). I think it's done that way because
> it's easier and quicker to do and produce a nicer looking result.
>
> > This causes 2 problems - when I have my hands just behind the hoods, the generally forward
> > pressure I apply tends to "ruffle" the tape edges and make them stick up. Even after my first
> > ride around the block!
>
> I agree that it's stupid and I always do mine the other way.
>
> > BTW there was a black tapered sticker about 7" long that came with the bike and I don't know
> > what it's for. Maybe it's to wrap around the bar end to stop the tape coming adrift. But then
> > there should have been 2 stickers, and they should have already been applied to the handlebars?
>
> Chain stay protector. Here's an original idea: Put it _underneath_ if you're in the habit of
> fixing bike upside down :)
>
> --
> ~PB This week, I am mostly listening to Ladytron
 
M

Msa

Guest
Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Chain stay protector. Here's an original idea: Put it _underneath_ if you're in the habit of
> fixing bike upside down :)

Now why didn't I think of that :) Then again I don't stand on my head while working on my bike!

--
Mark (who always works on his bike the right way up..this time I mean the bike!)
______________________________________

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"
 
P

Peter Grange

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Sam Salt <i.broadheadnoc
[email protected]> writes
>> Chain stay protector. Here's an original idea: Put it _underneath_ if you're in the habit of
>> fixing bike upside down :)
>>
I thought the main reason for the protector was not for if the chain comes off, but to protect the
chainstay paintwork if the chain bounces on it during riding. Certainly mine gets very oily, from
the chain hitting it I guess.

--
Peter Grange
 
A

Alex Graham

Guest
Roger wrote:
> I have just taken delivery of a 2002 Dawes Audax and it's great. However, I reckon they have wound
> the handlebar tape the wrong way, starting at the middle. This causes 2 problems - when I have my
> hands just behind the hoods, the generally forward pressure I apply tends to "ruffle" the tape
> edges and make them stick up. Even after my first ride around the block! Also, the ends of the
> tape at the bar ends sticks up slightly. If they started at the ends, this end would be tucked
> under. But I suppose that would just move the problem to the middle of the bars...
>
> BTW there was a black tapered sticker about 7" long that came with the bike and I don't know what
> it's for. Maybe it's to wrap around the bar end to stop the tape coming adrift. But then there
> should have been 2 stickers, and they should have already been applied to the handlebars?
>
> cheers Roger
>

Yeah I thought the same thing about my giro 200!

Now the mystery of the tapered black sticker is solved! Mine is still in the bag with the manual
somewhere - I hadnt got a clue what it was for!

Cheers!

--

-Alex

----------------------------------
[email protected]

http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
----------------------------------
 
S

Stephen Pridgeo

Guest
Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Roger wrote:
> > I have just taken delivery of a 2002 Dawes Audax and it's great. However, I reckon they have
> > wound the handlebar tape the wrong way, starting at the middle. This causes 2 problems - when I
> > have my hands just behind the hoods, the generally forward pressure I apply tends to "ruffle"
> > the tape edges and make them stick up. Even after my first ride around the block! Also, the ends
> > of the tape at the bar ends sticks up slightly. If they started at the ends, this end would be
> > tucked under. But I suppose that would just move the problem to the middle of the bars...
> >
> > BTW there was a black tapered sticker about 7" long that came with the bike and I don't know
> > what it's for. Maybe it's to wrap around the bar end to stop the tape coming adrift. But then
> > there should have been 2 stickers, and they should have already been applied to the handlebars?
> >
> > cheers Roger
> >
>
> Yeah I thought the same thing about my giro 200!
>
> Now the mystery of the tapered black sticker is solved! Mine is still in the bag with the manual
> somewhere - I hadnt got a clue what it was for!
>

I was suprised, well, scornfull, that my Dawes had one. Now I'm suprised, well, amazed, at the
number of scratches, dints and chips that the chainstay protector has gathered.

And my bar tape on my Dawes was done middle outwards, and looked **** really quickly. But I'm
waiting until I have the time to replace the cable outers till I make it look pretty - I've got some
blue tape somewhere to match the paintwork.

SteveP
 
D

Dave Kahn

Guest
"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Its actually best to start at the brake levers and work in both directions. That way its the right
> way round on the tops and the drops.

That was certainly true of the old cloth tape we used to use in the 60s and 70s. The newer tapes are
a little stiffer at the edges and usually work well wrapped in a single piece starting at the end
and working towards the middle. This is a compromise but most people spend far longer on the tops
than in the drops and also apply more pressure there.

--
Dave...
 
D

Dave Kahn

Guest
Peter Grange <[email protected]_THISdemon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I thought the main reason for the protector was not for if the chain comes off, but to protect the
> chainstay paintwork if the chain bounces on it during riding. Certainly mine gets very oily, from
> the chain hitting it I guess.

Probably just spatter, if you lubricate your chain with oil. If the chain is hitting the chainstay
you would hear it.

--
Dave...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.