Hardrock Comp Vs. Trek 4300

luke1643

New Member
Aug 13, 2003
Which bike is better now and will be better in the long run? And what are some viable upgrades for each bike?

Thanks alot.

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Ahhhh, JD???
>
> --
> - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

Ok, here goes. YOU TOP POSTING E-TARD!!!!!

JD

> "luke1643" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Which bike is better now and will be better in the long run? And what are some viable upgrades
> > for each bike?
> >
> > Thanks alot.
> >

> > --

I actually like top posting. What's not to like??? :) Our work email chains are almost always
formatted this way and it's much easier to see the new stuff when you don't have to scroll down, and
if you really want the history just start reading top to bottom.

Granted, if everyone would <snip> the longer posts bottom-posting might be a lot easier.

I've fallen in line here and bottom post because everyone is so freakish about it.

As for the bike. I dunno. :)

Gman "top posting rules"

On 28 Aug 2003 02:35:57 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Ahhhh, JD???
>>
>> --
>> - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)
>
> Ok, here goes. YOU TOP POSTING E-TARD!!!!!
>
> JD
>
>> "luke1643" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Which bike is better now and will be better in the long run? And what are some viable upgrades
>> > for each bike?
>> >
>> > Thanks alot.
>> >

>> > --

*agree*

Julius

As for the bike: What excatly is "upgrading possibility"?? You can modify any bike in any way you
want to - it doesn't matter which bike it is, does it?

"Gman" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...
> I actually like top posting. What's not to like??? :) Our work email chains are almost always
> formatted this way and it's much easier to see the new stuff when you don't have to scroll down,
> and if you really want the history just start reading top to bottom.
>
> Granted, if everyone would <snip> the longer posts bottom-posting might be a lot easier.
>
> I've fallen in line here and bottom post because everyone is so freakish about it.
>
> As for the bike. I dunno. :)
>
> Gman "top posting rules"
>

> On 28 Aug 2003 02:35:57 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Ahhhh, JD???
> >>
> >> --
> >> - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)
> >
> > Ok, here goes. YOU TOP POSTING E-TARD!!!!!
> >
> > JD
> >
> >> "luke1643" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I actually like top posting. >

I used to much prefer it...but now..

> Granted, if everyone would <snip> the longer posts bottom-posting might be a lot easier.

I prefer it this way....so we have by order of preference:

1. bottom posting to snipped posts....only keep the part of the posty you are addressing and even
edit it if its long.
2. top posting
3. bottom posting to unedited long posts.

SDC

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:47:20 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>luke1643 wrote:
>> Which bike is better now and will be better in the long run? And what are some viable upgrades
>> for each bike?
>
>Why are you asking about upgrades before you've even bought the bike? Why not just spend your
>'upgrade' money on getting a better bike?

perhaps he was to learn to wrench on it on his own? Much like I did...

Dave (why ask why)

Dave W wrote:

>>>Which bike is better now and will be better in the long run? And what are some viable upgrades
>>>for each bike?
>>
>>Why are you asking about upgrades before you've even bought the bike? Why not just spend your
>>'upgrade' money on getting a better bike?
>

> perhaps he was to learn to wrench on it on his own? Much like I did...

Well, we all learned to wrench ourselves, and we've all upgraded stuff. It just seems a little
non-sensical to plan/buy your upgrades at the same time as the bike.

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I actually like top posting. What's not to like??? :) Our work email chains are almost always
> formatted this way and it's much easier to see the new stuff when you don't have to scroll down,
> and if you really want the history just start reading top to bottom.

I thought so, too, when I first discovered newsgroups. However, it quickly became apparent that many
people don't see/follow entire threads (for various reasons, including servers, readers, actually
having lives, etc.); therefore, posting BELOW that to which you're replying/responding makes *MUCH*
more sense.

Only thing worse, of course, is not quoting anything. {cough-cough Fred 'n Crazy cough-cough}

I still use the top-posting e-mail format -- mainly because OE practically forces it -- but also
because you're virtually assured that your correspondent HAS indeed read the thread! (Hell, you're
replying to what THEY sent, so they ought to be familiar with it!)

> I've fallen in line here and bottom post because everyone is so freakish about it.

Umm, no you didn't; that's why I snipped all the earlier content (formerly below).

Bill "courtesy, clarity...aw, just bite me already" S.

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:01:55 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Why are you asking about upgrades before you've even bought the bike? Why not just spend your
>>>'upgrade' money on getting a better bike?
>>

>> perhaps he was to learn to wrench on it on his own? Much like I did...
>
>Well, we all learned to wrench ourselves, and we've all upgraded stuff. It just seems a little
>non-sensical to plan/buy your upgrades at the same time as the bike.

Why? My LBS does not offer Marzocchi Forks stock on their floor models, but when I bought my bike
from them, I knew which brand I was going to replace the crappy RST with. I just didn't do it for a
year or so....

On 28 Aug 2003 12:00:42 GMT, Gman wrote:

> Granted, if everyone would <snip> the longer posts bottom-posting might be a lot easier.

EVERYTHING would be a lot easier. Its annoying to scroll to the end of a long re-post looking for a
reply. Particularly when the reply doesn't really say anything.

Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I actually like top posting. What's not to like??? :)

Heh. Reading the comments out of order. People read in the most logical fashion, which is
top-to-bottom. Most of my ***** with top-posters is that they include every damn little bit of what
came before. Actually, I don't like it when bottom-posters find the need to tack "LOL" onto the
bottom of a 250-line post, either.

> Our work email chains are almost always formatted this way and it's much easier to see the new
> stuff when you don't have to scroll down, and if you really want the history just start reading
> top to bottom.

In e-mail, everyone has been involved from the beginning. I intersperse my e-mails too, FWIW.

> Granted, if everyone would <snip> the longer posts bottom-posting might be a lot easier.

Yeah. Well, I've been guilty of quoting too much "context" myself, but I am cleaning up my act, LOL.

> I've fallen in line here and bottom post because everyone is so freakish about it.

Freakish? Well, you have to first be a Freak...

See below...

> On 28 Aug 2003 02:35:57 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Ahhhh, JD???
> >>
> >> --
> >> - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)
> >
> > Ok, here goes. YOU TOP POSTING E-TARD!!!!!
> >
> > JD
> >
> >> "luke1643" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

This is what I mean about top-posters not trimming. It just sucks. Especially in a long thread.

Now, where the **** really hits the fan: a thread in which top and bottom posts are randomly
interspersed. Try reading one of those damn things!

Spider

Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> >> perhaps he was to learn to wrench on it on his own? Much like I did...
> >
> >Well, we all learned to wrench ourselves, and we've all upgraded stuff. It just seems a little
> >non-sensical to plan/buy your upgrades at the same time as the bike.
>

> Why?

Simple.

> My LBS does not offer Marzocchi Forks stock on their floor models, but when I bought my bike from
> them, I knew which brand I was going to replace the crappy RST with. I just didn't do it for a
> year or so....

So, you swap the RST for credit on the purchase, and make a deal with them to install the
Marzocchi for some small discount. Sure, you pay more than the original cost of the bike, but you
come out ahead in the long run. Especially since you would not have to put a single tire
revolution on the RST.

Spider

On 28 Aug 2003 14:04:35 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:

>Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>> I actually like top posting. What's not to like??? :)
>
>Heh. Reading the comments out of order. People read in the most logical fashion, which is
>top-to-bottom. Most of my ***** with top-posters is that they include every damn little bit of what
>came before. Actually, I don't like it when bottom-posters find the need to tack "LOL" onto the
>bottom of a 250-line post, either.
>
>> Our work email chains are almost always formatted this way and it's much easier to see the new
>> stuff when you don't have to scroll down, and if you really want the history just start reading
>> top to bottom.
>
>In e-mail, everyone has been involved from the beginning. I intersperse my e-mails too, FWIW.
>
>> Granted, if everyone would <snip> the longer posts bottom-posting might be a lot easier.
>
>Yeah. Well, I've been guilty of quoting too much "context" myself, but I am cleaning up my
>act, LOL.
>
>> I've fallen in line here and bottom post because everyone is so freakish about it.
>
>Freakish? Well, you have to first be a Freak...
>
>See below...
>
>> On 28 Aug 2003 02:35:57 -0700, JD <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

>> > Ok, here goes. YOU TOP POSTING E-TARD!!!!!
>> >
>> > JD

And what

>This is what I mean about top-posters not trimming. It just sucks. Especially in a long thread.
>
>Now, where the **** really hits the fan: a thread in which top and bottom posts are randomly
>interspersed. Try reading one of those
damn
>things!
>
>Spider

LOL.

ROTFLMAO!!! I love it...

--
- Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)

> "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Ahhhh, JD???
> >
> > --
> > - Zilla Cary, NC (Remove XSPAM)
>
> Ok, here goes. YOU TOP POSTING E-TARD!!!!!
>
> JD
>
> > "luke1643" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Which bike is better now and will be better in the long run? And what are some viable upgrades
> > > for each bike?
> > >
> > > Thanks alot.
> > >

> > > --

Good one.

news:[email protected]...

Gman wrote:
> I actually like top posting. What's not to like??? :)

My thoughts:

Proper quoting allows you to read the relevant parts of a conversation. If I'm scanning through the
ng (and I do it by date, rather than by thread), a properly quoted message means I don't have to
scan through several pages of text to find the relevant part to which the poster was replying, or
switching back to thread mode and re-reading the previous posts.

Unlike your work e-mails, there are many people contributing to many, many different threads. It
makes brief scanning of the current messages much easier. Your e-mails at work are probably far more
concise with a relevant purpose and an expected reply.

I think part of the problem is that people automatically assume that the opposite of top-posting is
bottom posting. I'd much rather see a top-post than a one line bottom post after several pages of
text. The correct way is to quote correctly - the sooner everyone learns to do that, the better.
Unfortunately, if you try to pick people up on it, you get accused of being a Usenet nazi :(

And just as a little aside:

A. Top-posting.
B. What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

--
C.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

D.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

On 28 Aug 2003 13:58:21 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:

>Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

>> >Well, we all learned to wrench ourselves, and we've all upgraded stuff. It just seems a little
>> >non-sensical to plan/buy your upgrades at the same time as the bike.
>>

>> Why?
>
>Simple.
>
>> My LBS does not offer Marzocchi Forks stock on their floor models, but when I bought my bike from
>> them, I knew which brand I was going to replace the crappy RST with. I just didn't do it for a
>> year or so....
>
>So, you swap the RST for credit on the purchase, and make a deal with them to install the
>Marzocchi for some small discount. Sure, you pay more than the original cost of the bike, but you
>come out ahead in the long run. Especially since you would not have to put a single tire
>revolution on the RST.
>
>Spider

But you see, that is where the trick comes, the LBS would have had to order it, and for a high
premium I might add (Damn near the cost of the bike!) Instead, I waited around and found one online
much cheaper. But to their credit they installed it for nothing...

And I'm actually glad I put a years worth of rides on the RST, it made me appreciate the zoke that
much more when I got it...

Dave (wait a minute, who am talking to all civilized like?)

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:23:13 GMT, Sorni <[email protected]> wrote:
> Good one.
>
> "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On 28 Aug 2003 14:04:35 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
>>
>> >Gman <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...
>> >
>> >Heh. Reading the comments out of order. People read in the most logical fashion, which is
>> >top-to-bottom. Most of my ***** with top-posters is that they include every damn little bit of
>> >what came before. Actually, I don't like it when bottom-posters find the need to tack "LOL" onto
>> >the bottom of a 250-line post, either.

>> >In e-mail, everyone has been involved from the beginning. I intersperse my e-mails too, FWIW.

>> >Yeah. Well, I've been guilty of quoting too much "context" myself, but I am cleaning up my
>> >act, LOL.

>> >Freakish? Well, you have to first be a Freak...
>> >
>> >See below...

>> news:<[email protected]>...

>> And what

>> >This is what I mean about top-posters not trimming. It just sucks. Especially in a long thread.
>> >
>> >Now, where the **** really hits the fan: a thread in which top and bottom posts are randomly
>> >interspersed. Try reading one of those
>> damn
>> >things!
>> >
>> >Spider
>>
>> LOL.

You guys are frickin' killing me!!!! ROFLMAO!