headlight recommend?

On Apr 26, 8:29 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Probably at least an hour, maybe more.

> A bit OT but I like Kent Peterson's idea of using
> cheap, small helmet mounted lights as well
>
> see link
>
> http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2008/03/lightweight-helmet-with-lights....

I have the minewt, and like it very much. The main benefits, besides
good light, are that it moves easily from bike to bike. No mounting
bracket required. The rubber band that holds the light on the bars
has been reliable and firm, easy to set the aim, but quick to undo
when parking where an expensive light might be a temptation to some.
Also the velcro strap on the battery is equally quick, for the same
purposes. The battery mount works over or under the stem without
marring the finish, and also on the front of the head tube, tho' that
might not work on cantilevers with a cable. Should work behind the
head tube tho.

I use it on four different bikes (road bike, fender road bike,
commuter/cross bike, and a flat-bar errand bike.) I ease my budget
concerns by convincing myself that I can easily loan it to another
family member if they need a super light. They haven't used it yet
though. ;)

For budget, others in my riding group like this one, but admit it's
not as powerful.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302692895&bmUID=1209315473449

The biggest risks for me are oncoming cars turning in front, and
walkers at night on bike paths with no lights or reflectors. This
light gives me lots of warning in both cases. I've even had motorists
compliment me on the light "I thought you were a motorcycle or
scooter."

Good luck

PS I don't have a computer because I don't like the bad news. Not a
good reason, but...;)

mtb Dad wrote:
> On Apr 26, 8:29 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Probably at least an hour, maybe more.

>>A bit OT but I like Kent Peterson's idea of using
>>cheap, small helmet mounted lights as well
>>
>>see link
>>
>>http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2008/03/lightweight-helmet-with-lights....

> I have the minewt, and like it very much. The main benefits, besides
> good light, are that it moves easily from bike to bike. No mounting
> bracket required. The rubber band that holds the light on the bars
> has been reliable and firm, easy to set the aim, but quick to undo
> when parking where an expensive light might be a temptation to some.
> Also the velcro strap on the battery is equally quick, for the same
> purposes. The battery mount works over or under the stem without
> marring the finish, and also on the front of the head tube, tho' that
> might not work on cantilevers with a cable. Should work behind the
> head tube tho.
>
> I use it on four different bikes (road bike, fender road bike,
> commuter/cross bike, and a flat-bar errand bike.) I ease my budget
> concerns by convincing myself that I can easily loan it to another
> family member if they need a super light. They haven't used it yet
> though. ;)
>
> For budget, others in my riding group like this one, but admit it's
> not as powerful.
> http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302692895&bmUID=1209315473449
>
> The biggest risks for me are oncoming cars turning in front, and
> walkers at night on bike paths with no lights or reflectors. This
> light gives me lots of warning in both cases. I've even had motorists
> compliment me on the light "I thought you were a motorcycle or
> scooter."
>
> Good luck
>
> PS I don't have a computer because I don't like the bad news. Not a
> good reason, but...;)

Grr. that light you posted a link to looks very similar to the one I
already have, which *doesn't work* on my bike because the attachment
hardware to the handlebars is on the front of the bars, not the rear. I
have almost no room between the front of the bar and the brake cable...

I may just order that Sigma that I posted a link to and be done with it,
and a twofish block as a backup (already have a 2AA Mag-Lite)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

TBerk wrote:

May we have some context here?

> Jay, I'm rather new here but why do I get the distinct feeling you
> **** people off on a regular basis?

Only the over-sensitive.

mtb Dad wrote:
> On Apr 27, 10:19 am, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Grr.

> ?

just frustration. Every single time someone has recommended a light as
"this is cheap but decent" looking at the pictures alone as confirmed
that the light in question will not fit on a cross bike with the aux.
brake levers installed.

nate

--

On Apr 27, 12:52 pm, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> mtb Dad wrote:
> > On Apr 27, 10:19 am, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Grr.

> > ?

> just frustration. Every single time someone has recommended a light as
> "this is cheap but decent" looking at the pictures alone as confirmed
> that the light in question will not fit on a cross bike with the aux.
> brake levers installed.

http://www.velo-orange.com/lowdolimoty1.html

Not cheap, not expensive--but definitely elegant!

On Apr 27, 1:52 pm, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> mtb Dad wrote:
> > On Apr 27, 10:19 am, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Grr.

> > ?

> just frustration. Every single time someone has recommended a light as
> "this is cheap but decent" looking at the pictures alone as confirmed
> that the light in question will not fit on a cross bike with the aux.
> brake levers installed.

Try this:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...pe=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop by Brand: Minoura

or http://tinyurl.com/3x4drz

- Frank Krygowski

landotter wrote:
> On Apr 27, 12:52 pm, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>mtb Dad wrote:

>>>?

>>just frustration. Every single time someone has recommended a light as
>>"this is cheap but decent" looking at the pictures alone as confirmed
>>that the light in question will not fit on a cross bike with the aux.
>>brake levers installed.
>>

> http://www.velo-orange.com/lowdolimoty1.html
>
> Not cheap, not expensive--but definitely elegant!

thanks, I really like that! That might allow me to keep using the light
that I already have, which would be a big bonus. Have to look and see
how wide it is, but I think you're onto something there. Also much less
risk of blinding motorists with such a low mount.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TBerk wrote:
>>

> May we have some context here?
>
>> Jay, I'm rather new here but why do I get the distinct feeling you
>> **** people off on a regular basis?
>>

> Only the over-sensitive.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

bingo!

J.

"TBerk" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Jay, I'm rather new here but why do I get the distinct feeling you
> **** people off on a regular basis?
>

> TBerk

If day kant stan' da f***** heat get da f*** outta f***** Usenet!?! Was any
part of dat unkleer? What parta dat did youse fail 2 unerstan'?!

I write edgy comedy for my comedian friends. They pass my jokes off as their
own personal thoughts. I could not POSSIBLY care less if anyone believes
this. I am paid too well to care. Part of the deal is: I keep my big mouth
SHUT, which is difficult for me.

So I do not disclose my standup clients. Otherwise, they would be FORMER
clients.

J.

On Apr 27, 10:52 am, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> mtb Dad wrote:
> > On Apr 27, 10:19 am, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Grr.

> > ?

> just frustration.  Every single time someone has recommended a light as
> "this is cheap but decent" looking at the pictures alone as confirmed
> that the light in question will not fit on a cross bike with the aux.
> brake levers installed.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

By the way, your original question included "or should I suck it up
and buy it? Can anyone recommend any
products in particular? ", and you didn't mention the conflict with
cross levers until your 4th or 5th post. Sorry I missed it. Maybe
just say 'thanks but', instead of growling?

On 2008-04-26, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Rode down to LBS today, explained my headlight dilemma (cross bike,
> difficult to find space to mount headlight) and after explaining
> desired use - allowing me to ride after dark, because I don't often
> have the opportunity to ride during the day, save on weekends - they
> recommended this:
>
> http://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2..._Code=mini-newt&Category_Code=&Store_Code=pbs
>
> Looks like a sweet little piece, but the price tag is almost half as
> much as I paid for my bike! (granted, it cost a good bit more than
> that new... but I *am* trying to maintain some semblance of a budget
> here.)
>
> Am I silly in thinking I ought to be able to find something
> "acceptable" for less? or should I suck it up and buy it? Can anyone
> recommend any products in particular?

What are the street lights like on your route (if applicable)? In other
words, is your objective with such a light to be able to see the road,
or merely to be seen by traffic? If the former, then you will probably
require a somewhat expensive light in order to put out that much
candlepower; but if the latter, a less expensive model will often
suffice.

When I ride at night I'm almost always going along a lit street, so I've
had great luck with the Cat Eye HL-EL530 AA-powered LED headlamp:

http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/345

It's not bright enough to light the road very thoroughly, but it sure as
heck gets the attention of drivers. (If you keep the batteries fresh,
it can significantly light up a stop sign from a quarter-mile away --
for whatever that's worth.)

The good news is that this light only cost me something like $35 USD.
The bad news:

* They say it has a 90 hour battery life, but it's only at its
brightest for the first six hours or so. You will want to use
rechargeable NiMH batteries for this, otherwise you'll bust your
budget on alkalines.

* I needed to replace the handlebar mount after about a year or so,
because the screw adjustment mechanism, made of cheap plastic, had
locked up (cost: $5 from http://www.cateye.com/).

* It's a little wide. If handlebar space is at an absolute premium
then this might not be the best choice.

Sadly, the really small lights -- those that can fit practically
anywhere on your handlebars -- are generally those with either an
external battery pack (expensive), or the $6 models that aren't even
bright enough to be /seen/ by, let to illuminate the road.

--
Mark Shroyer, http://markshroyer.com/contact/
I have joined others in blocking Google Groups due to excessive

Nate Nagel wrote:
> this one?
>
> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=225285-50584-FT-NS-2C 3W&lpage=none
>

> looks tempting, if nothing else I could always use another decent
> flashlight (I have two cars, a pickup truck, and a company car...)
>
> nate

The Lowe's Task Force flashlight comes in two versions, and both have
the same product number and prices. The first version says "Luxeon" on
the package and has a Luxeon LED. The second one says "60X brighter" on
the package, and has the CREE LED. You want the SECOND one. There's some
chatter about it on the Candlepower forums, if you want further info.

....I have one, and it is -amazingly- bright, but I don't know what the
runtime is. Also it is a very-tight spot beam that may need a bit of
remedying for bicycle use.

The problem you may have with "flashlights as bikelights" is that many
flashlights aren't made for running for extended periods, and that the
batteries may rattle and cause the light to flicker as you're riding.

When I say that "some LED flashlights aren't made for running for
extended periods", what I mean is that the LED is essentially
overdriven. There is a circuit inside that controls the LED current,
based on the LED's temperature (to prevent it from overheating). After
the flashlight has been on for a minute or two it can heat up so much
that the circuit may cut back on the power.... So the brightness that
you see when you immediately turn it on may *not* be the brightness that
you get most of the time you're using it out on a bike ride.

-----

Now then: on the general subject of bike lights.

I don't understand the reasoning for most "light freaks"; I have heard
of people who like to ride off-road at night, or who have bad eyesight
and for them perhaps a 10 or 15W HID makes sense--but for most people
(especially riding on the street) it's really not necessary. And
spending $500 for a bike and then spending $500 for a light kit is
rather silly, IMO.

For headlights I am partial to the Cateye disposable-battery-powered
lights (EL530), and have two on each of my bikes--mostly for redundancy,
as I rarely run both at the same time. I take to the roads with only two
watts of LED headlight power, most of the time only use one watt, and I
have never not rode anywhere because my headlights were not bright
enough. The EL530's have a very tight spot beam (unlike the shaped beam
of the earlier EL500's) but you can spread out a spot beam somewhat by
sticking a piece of opaque clear tape over the center of the lens.

For taillights I use P.B. Superflashes or Serfas TL-2000's, although
there's a generic version of the TL-2000 floating around that costs
about half as much. I'm not sure it's the same brightness but I'd bet it
is. I also run dual tail-lights, on blink, all the time--because if I'm
riding alone and only have one on and it fails, I would not know until I
got off the bike for some reason.
~

mtb Dad wrote:
> On Apr 27, 10:52 am, Nate Nagel <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>mtb Dad wrote:

>>>?

>>just frustration. Every single time someone has recommended a light as
>>"this is cheap but decent" looking at the pictures alone as confirmed
>>that the light in question will not fit on a cross bike with the aux.
>>brake levers installed.
>>
>>nate
>>
>>--
>>replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> By the way, your original question included "or should I suck it up
> and buy it? Can anyone recommend any
> products in particular? ", and you didn't mention the conflict with
> cross levers until your 4th or 5th post. Sorry I missed it. Maybe
> just say 'thanks but', instead of growling?

Wasn't aimed at you. I apologize if it came across that way.

BTW it started raining again this afternoon, and I just didn't feel like
fixing anything around the house, so I took a little drive down to
Lowe's (about a half hour each way, sadly - that's a bit of a peeve
there, I have two Orange-Colored Stores within easy biking distance, and
they both suck, but that's not really relevant to this group) and picked
up one of those 3W LED flashlights that someone mentioned. Holy **** is
that thing awesome. Even brighter than my old 3-D LED Mag-Lite, with a
more natural color to boot. Only quibble is the optics; it's got a
cheesy molded plastic lens that focuses most of the beam into a spot,
however, if you remove that the beam pattern is remarkably even and
wide. makes me wonder if I found a piece of Fresnel lens or something
if I could make it work even better. Still not sure if I want to use it
as an actual headlight or not but I appreciate the heads up on it
anyway, it's definitely a cool piece of kit esp. for only $30.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Per Nate Nagel:
>I might as well embrace my fredness and investigate the LED flashlight
>options. I've seen several presented that look appealing. Apparently
>this is a new concept only to me as I've already found three purpose
>made mounts since I started this thread.

You've gotta get at least one just for use as a in-car
flashlight.
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Nate Nagel:
>
>>I might as well embrace my fredness and investigate the LED flashlight
>>options. I've seen several presented that look appealing. Apparently
>>this is a new concept only to me as I've already found three purpose
>>made mounts since I started this thread.

> You've gotta get at least one just for use as a in-car
> flashlight.

See my last post. I already bought the Lowe's flashlight, and also I've
been searching online for NiMHs (as I already have a NiMH charger for my
digicam, that accepts all sizes of cells.) Seems that "CTA" rates their
C cells at 5500mAH and their AAAs at 1200 mAH... not sure how much my
blinky draws, but a 3W LED at roughly 3V should be 1A so 10AH should be
waaaay more than enough for any ride I'd care to go on. I'll probably
order those and a twofish mount online unless someone tells me not to
for whatever reason.

The flashlight is way cool. Kicks my old 3-D LED Mag-Lite's butt in
both brightness and beam pattern. I think I may have found a new
favorite lighting toy (although the relay-fed Cibie E-codes on my old
car are pretty cool, too) The fit and finish of the Mag-Lite is still
superior, but hey, it's gonna get smacked around... I'll put some
Sil-Glyde on all the O-rings and strap it on soon as I get all the
pieces together. Even if I do decide to go with something sexier it's a
neat piece.

Of course I've already taken it apart; one thing I might want to do is
glue a piece of old rubber glove inside the end cap where the switch is
housed. It looks to be pretty well sealed up other than that. I think
I'll also try to put some kind of sleeve (TP roll slit longitudinally?)
inside the battery tube as it's a little larger than it needs to be and
the batteries rattle around a bit.

nate

--

On Apr 27, 5:59 pm, DougC <[email protected]> wrote:

> Now then: on the general subject of bike lights.
>
> I don't understand the reasoning for most "light freaks"; I have heard
> of people who like to ride off-road at night, or who have bad eyesight
> and for them perhaps a 10 or 15W HID makes sense--but for most people
> (especially riding on the street) it's really not necessary. And
> spending $500 for a bike and then spending $500 for a light kit is
> rather silly, IMO.

I agree. Or to put it in terms of light output instead of dollars:
It's rather silly to spend a ton of money so a 15 mph bicycle's
headlight is as bright as a 150 mph motorcycle's headlight.

I think the source of the problem is twofold. One is: we have the
usual contingent of people who think that cycling is dangerous, and
that nothing trumps the need for safety. Those folks seem to think
you can be noticed only if your headlight is the brightest light on
the entire street, and that you MUST spend enough to get that output.

A second is that when lights for night mountain biking were first put
on the market, they were crude, unfocused, and advertised based on
"WATTS!!!!" rather than any sort of efficiency. Their design worked
OK for off-roading; and many people, never having seen a really good
bike headlight, decided they were a must for road work as well.

So ever since, we've got cyclists that aren't happy unless they're
blasting mega-lumens all over the front half of the universe. And
doing that costs money.

Meanwhile, the parts of the world where people have always ridden
bikes keep doing just fine with their relatively low power (but
optically good) headlamps.

- Frank Krygowski

On Apr 26, 3:55 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Per Nate Nagel:
>
> >Am I silly in thinking I ought to be able to find something "acceptable"
> >for less?  or should I suck it up and buy it?  Can anyone recommend any
> >products in particular?

> Lowe's "Task Force" flashlight - the one that takes 2 C cells and
> contains a Cree 4w emitter.  http://tinyurl.com/4ev9ly
>
> About thirty bucks.
>
> Puts out an astonishing amount of light and the batteries last a
> long time.  I accidentally left one on for one or two days (not
> sure which) and it was still putting out light when I discovered
> it was on.
>
> For comparison, I have an officially-sanctioned, European
> something-or-other safety standard halogen headlight on my bike
> whose light output is just totally pathetic compared to the
> Lowe's flashlight.
>
> Before the OP (understandably....) dismisses this as someone's
> ravings, maybe somebody else can chime in on how much light this
> thing puts out.
> --
> PeteCresswell

2 C batts with a LED ? next week.

basic flashlight mount: 2 hose clamps (see Lowes). One for the bar one
for flashlight.
Slip flashlight clampunder bar clamp, clamp between bar and bar hose
clamp, fit flashlight to open clamp and tighten.
Viola !
buy two - put one down low on a fork near the axle.
don't forget small flashing ambers for the bar. turn to face
intersection oncomin when crossing.
ambers give notice the white light is on the front end of a vehicle.
a red front is acceptable with the ambers.
a xmas tree effect yields safety.

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:30:36, Nate Nagel wrote:
> Rode down to LBS today, explained my headlight dilemma (cross bike,
> difficult to find space to mount headlight) and after explaining desired
> use - allowing me to ride after dark, because I don't often have the
> opportunity to ride during the day, save on weekends - they recommended
> this:

> [...link to NiteRider MiNewt X2...]

> Looks like a sweet little piece, but the price tag is almost half as
> much as I paid for my bike! (granted, it cost a good bit more than that
> new... but I *am* trying to maintain some semblance of a budget here.)

My wife and I each have the original MiNewt that I bought on close-out
for around $100 right before the X2 version came out. We really like
them: small, lightweight, smart charger, good battery life.

There are cheaper options out there, but this one works really well
for us. If you get an all-in-one design, make sure it has a smart
charger that lets you plug-in and forget it. That feature is very
nice to have.

-a

--
Alan Hoyle - [email protected] - http://www.alanhoyle.com/

Per [email protected]:
>I think the source of the problem is twofold. One is: we have the
>usual contingent of people who think that cycling is dangerous, and
>that nothing trumps the need for safety. Those folks seem to think
>you can be noticed only if your headlight is the brightest light

I'm confused by a lot of headlight discussions. It's as if the
headlight were the most important factor in being seen. Seems
to me like what's on the back of the bike is more important by
far.
--
PeteCresswell