Heart rate monitor recommendation please

Simon L

Guest
Seeing as Chrimbo inches closer, Mrs L wants to buy me something to
reward my devotion. I've thought about a HRM for a bit less that 100
quid but don't really know what I'm after.

- I haven't had much experience with them before, or training for
anything in particular.
- Does it have to have a chest strap? I find them uncomfortable.
- I don't do running. It's just for the bike.
- What functions do I need? Zone training? Maximum HR?

Cheers all.

Simon L wrote:
> Seeing as Chrimbo inches closer, Mrs L wants to buy me something to
> reward my devotion. I've thought about a HRM for a bit less that 100
> quid but don't really know what I'm after.
>
> - I haven't had much experience with them before, or training for
> anything in particular.
> - Does it have to have a chest strap? I find them uncomfortable.

I found it uncomfortable to start with, but quickly got used to it and
now don't notice anymore.

> - I don't do running. It's just for the bike.
> - What functions do I need? Zone training? Maximum HR?

Have you considered a combination bike computer/HR monitor? I've got a
Polar F6 watch, which works well but you've got to look at your wrist to
see what your rate is. I picked up an Echowell cadence/HR/speed computer
from EBC during their last sale (£25, a bargain!), which shows
everything I want on the handlebars and so is far less intrusive to use.

The only thing I really miss is being able to upload the data to my
computer; it's nice to have a record of the exercise so that you can
monitor your progress (though you can always do that with a pen and paper).

Matt

Simon L wrote:
> Seeing as Chrimbo inches closer, Mrs L wants to buy me something to
> reward my devotion. I've thought about a HRM for a bit less that 100
> quid but don't really know what I'm after.
>
> - I haven't had much experience with them before, or training for
> anything in particular.
> - Does it have to have a chest strap? I find them uncomfortable.
> - I don't do running. It's just for the bike.
> - What functions do I need? Zone training? Maximum HR?
>
> Cheers all.

I have tried these:

The Cateye Double wireless (£71.99)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.asp...oryName=Computers&ProdID=5360011894&UberCat=0

This is heart rate monitor and cadence, or a clear display, with a good
mount. Had some trouble with my first one, but replaced under warranty.

The Polar CS 200 (£80.85)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.asp...oryName=Computers&ProdID=5360020399&UberCat=0

This is heart rate and cadence, and although I found the display easier,
the fixing kit was not as good. The Polar kit has "sonic transfer" so
you can upload history to the Polar work-out software with nothing other
than a microphone on your pc.

Both use a chest strap. Zone training has been useful.

"Matthew Haigh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Simon L wrote:
> > Seeing as Chrimbo inches closer, Mrs L wants to buy me something to
> > reward my devotion. I've thought about a HRM for a bit less that 100
> > quid but don't really know what I'm after.
> >
> > - I haven't had much experience with them before, or training for
> > anything in particular.
> > - Does it have to have a chest strap? I find them uncomfortable.

> I found it uncomfortable to start with, but quickly got used to it and
> now don't notice anymore.
>
> > - I don't do running. It's just for the bike.
> > - What functions do I need? Zone training? Maximum HR?

> Have you considered a combination bike computer/HR monitor? I've got a
> Polar F6 watch, which works well but you've got to look at your wrist to
> see what your rate is. I picked up an Echowell cadence/HR/speed computer
> from EBC during their last sale (£25, a bargain!), which shows
> everything I want on the handlebars and so is far less intrusive to use.
>
> The only thing I really miss is being able to upload the data to my
> computer; it's nice to have a record of the exercise so that you can
> monitor your progress (though you can always do that with a pen and

paper).

I have a Polar CS200cad, which has been replaced in the range by the CS300.
It is more than a pulse meter, it is also a good bike computer with cadence
optional. I found the chest trap comfortable, forgetting that I was wearing
it from my very first ride with it. The upload/download functions work via
sonic link with a PC's active speaker. I haven't tried these yet, so I can't
comment on their effectiveness. The zones are either automatic or manual, as
you like it, and you can have the meter pre-set for two different bikes.

Things I don't like, however, include the short range of the wheel
transmitter, which makes it hard to use on a turbo trainer, the short
distance outages caused by crossing bridges over electrified rail lines and,
most distracting, the random and prolonged outages caused by high powered
light sets.

--
David Lloyd,
The pub is responsible for my opinions.

> The Cateye Double wireless (£71.99)

Does it have a HRM? Wiggle don't mention it.

>The Polar kit has "sonic transfer" so

Sonic transfer sounds like a poor relation to a cable!

It says that you can set two wheel sizes.. but can you get two mounting
kits?

Cheers.

Simon L wrote:

>> The Polar kit has "sonic transfer" so

> Sonic transfer sounds like a poor relation to a cable!

Indeed, advice I received in my LRS (Local Running Shop) was that the
Soniclink thing was sensitive and unreliable and if I wanted to upload
to a computer I would be far better served with the (more expensive)
infra-red models.

Of course, it wouldn't be entirely out of character for sales staff to
recommend more expensive models over the cheaper ones, so take that as
you find it.

-dan

Simon L wrote:
>> The Cateye Double wireless (£71.99)
>>

> Does it have a HRM? Wiggle don't mention it.
>
>> The Polar kit has "sonic transfer" so

> Sonic transfer sounds like a poor relation to a cable!
>
> It says that you can set two wheel sizes.. but can you get two mounting
> kits?
>
> Cheers.

Quite right.... now I know why I got the CS200! The Cateye is without, I
remember now I used a Polar wrist mounted one with that computer.

I only received a single mounting kit with the CS200... but it uses the
rubber o-rings so I could transfer it between bikes easier than with
zip-ties.

Simon L wrote:
> Seeing as Chrimbo inches closer, Mrs L wants to buy me something to
> reward my devotion. I've thought about a HRM for a bit less that 100
> quid but don't really know what I'm after.
>
> - I haven't had much experience with them before, or training for
> anything in particular.
> - Does it have to have a chest strap? I find them uncomfortable.
> - I don't do running. It's just for the bike.
> - What functions do I need? Zone training? Maximum HR?

I've got the older model of this:

<URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360013082>

Doesn't have much in the way of bells or whistles, but also doesn't go mad
when it gets close to Mr. Fleming's Polar the way my old Cardiosport used
to.

--
Dave Larrington
Stop it! You're scarin' the Hippo...