Helmets For All? Or Just Some?

Sure, it's correct to wear the helmet as it was to wear a safety belt years ago and no one did. Eventually those are habits that take time to settle in. Also, I've been riding a bike for decades now my friend.
I'm sorry but that just doesn't do the trick. You posted an ignorant response to a safety topic and tried to defend it by by overreacting to my response and implying that that I'm not even a cyclist. You were wrong on all counts. You are still making excuses for a behavior that can not be defended. Putting a helmet on takes seconds. There is no need for time to settle in. Just do it. Riding a bike and being an avid or informed cyclist are not the same thing. If you actually were an avid or informed cyclist, I doubt you would continue to make excuses for an obviously unsafe and clearly stupid choice.

Part of me thinks that these sorts of things really should be up to individuals to decide whether or not they choose to wear a helmet (even if I think it is stupid not to). The other part of me recognized that, in Canada, my taxes pay for the health care that will be required to put them back together if they choose not to wear one. Obviously helmets don't stop all cycling injuries, but it can't hurt to wear one. (The same logic applies to wearing seat-belts when driving cars.)

For children, I think that it should be mandatory and enforced by law. Even if they are just riding slowly on the sidewalk, a fall can cause a serious brain injury that will affect them for the rest of their life.

Reactions: Jcycle
I'm sorry but that just doesn't do the trick. You posted an ignorant response to a safety topic and tried to defend it by by overreacting to my response and implying that that I'm not even a cyclist. You were wrong on all counts. You are still making excuses for a behavior that can not be defended. Putting a helmet on takes seconds. There is no need for time to settle in. Just do it. Riding a bike and being an avid or informed cyclist are not the same thing. If you actually were an avid or informed cyclist, I doubt you would continue to make excuses for an obviously unsafe and clearly stupid choice.

lol, I don't have to justify myself before you. You have your own truth and I respect it even if you are aggressive in the way you speak. Have a nice ride! ;)

lol, I don't have to justify myself before you. You have your own truth and I respect it even if you are aggressive in the way you speak. Have a nice ride! ;)

Yes, actually you do. You won't, but you should. You called me out and implied that I was misrepresenting myself simply because you did not like your ignorance being challenged. At the very least you should apologize. As for what is or isn't "my own truth" when you crack your skull open because you think wearing a helmet for a short trip is an unnecessary burden you will realize that truth is for everybody. Facts apply to every one, and facts don't require you to believe in them to be true.

lol, I think you are funny really. I hope I don't crack my skull, surely I would be safer with a helmet, but to be honest I prefer not to think about it too much.

Part of me thinks that these sorts of things really should be up to individuals to decide whether or not they choose to wear a helmet (even if I think it is stupid not to). The other part of me recognized that, in Canada, my taxes pay for the health care that will be required to put them back together if they choose not to wear one. Obviously helmets don't stop all cycling injuries, but it can't hurt to wear one. (The same logic applies to wearing seat-belts when driving cars.)

For children, I think that it should be mandatory and enforced by law. Even if they are just riding slowly on the sidewalk, a fall can cause a serious brain injury that will affect them for the rest of their life.
This argument is so old, it never gets answered, and eventually everyone goes away, after the logic goes, and the insults start, feeling vindicated in their thinking, and nothing changes. I rode motorcycles for 45 plus years, along with every kind of bike I can think of, and the argument there never goes anywhere, until a law is either passed, or defeated requiring someone to wear a helmet.

Your answer though, N. Progressive, is a classic one, and bears special consideration. First, let me state that, I too am a taxpayer. I've worn a helmet on motorcycles all of my life, because I chose to, and for most of my cycling life. Except for children under the age of 16 or so, I don't think bicycle helmets should be mandatory. For adults, it should be a personal choice.

But to your point, your tax dollars fix broken heads in the emergency room. That may fall into either category, some truth, a lot of self righteous ********.

If I stood upon my pedestal and observed every action I deemed could cause physical harm resulting in a medical bill, most of the people in the U.S. would be frozen stiff, from regulation. Are you a mountain biker? That stuff is insane. It's not "if" you get hurt, but when you're badly hurt. Why should my "tax dollars" subsidize the insanity of doing a back flip off of a 40 foot jump, landing on a 1 foot wide path in Mt. Zion Utah? Strike mountain biking, too much risk of my tax dollars. Skydiving? Nix. No more. Jogging down the road, nope, might get hit by a car and waste my tax dollars. In fact nobody should be bicycling on paved roads with automobile traffic. Could get hurt and raise my taxes, again. Eating ice cream, HELL NO! I might have to pay my share of taxes for you to get your cholesterol checked and buy your meds.

I truly don't mean to be disrespectful, but sometimes it takes more than a slap in the face to get someone to flush out their head gear. Also, this could go on forever. Even a workout in the gym, to enhance your fitness, might result in a sprain, or hernia, my tax dollars could be better spent on. See my point. Again, anything outside of my driveway, I'm going to be wearing a helmet. I've actually seen the results of a man whose front wheel clipped a curb going into his driveway, killing him instantly, from traumatic brain injury. It happens. But on the other hand, and maybe it's my American way of thinking (less government is better than a nanny state), that causes me to think differently. But grown people can think for their own. Your tax dollars really won't go up that much because someone decides to grind their skulls into the pavement.

Oh, BTW, NP., if you come to the U.S., take a hard fall, and get road rash that takes the hide off of your butt so bad that you require medical attention, please pay your own bill. Some folks view bike riding as dangerous, and, well you did skin your own bum, in an activity that's prone to an occasional serious injury, why should our tax dollars pay for it?

Lastly, no need for a lecture on helmet safety. I'm already a true believer. Just bought a new one two days ago. Better fit.

Respectfully,

J.

Reactions: sgcyclistsg
lol, I think you are funny really. I hope I don't crack my skull, surely I would be safer with a helmet, but to be honest I prefer not to think about it too much.

Intelligent converse is not possible with you. You do not discuss, you jabber. Maybe you have already suffered from a head injury and do not realize it.

Helmets do can safe a person's life given on certain situations of course but it does improve the livability factor if one has the fate to get into an accident.

It is an universal rule that every single rider no matter what you ride you MUST WEAR A HELMET, it is something as important as the bike itself, it could save your life by protecting your head as one of the most important parts of your body, wear it no matter what, otherwise you're gonna have some serious trouble, ALWAYS but ALWAYS wear a helmet!

Reactions: Jcycle
Helmets do can safe a person's life given on certain situations of course but it does improve the livability factor if one has the fate to get into an accident.
I hate to throw water on this fire, BUT.
A wreck on a bicycle with the rider wearing a helmet, may help very much, if, for example, a car pulls out in front of you, and you go over the hood. Your head hit's pavement. The tension that your skin and skull would cause, could easily result in a serious injury. Or, you might just flip a few times and that's it.

In the early 70's, 71 or so, we never rode with helmets. Not because we were obtuse, and didn't think they were necessary, but they just weren't really thought of in those days. In fact, the only helmets we even saw, were 20 years pre-cable TV. You had ABC, NBC and CBS and possibly a local TV station back then, depending on where you lived back then. Almost all biking was a European thing back then, so it was once in a few months of "Wild World of Sports" that broadcast any kind of biking from France to the Rockies to VeloTrac. Only then did we see helmets, adults, riding in the mountains of Europe. Today, I believe that a modern helmet, although it won't win a fight with an oncoming F-350 truck at 35 mph, could easily save your life, or not.

But, given a little luck, it can absorb a lot of shock form an angle, vs. a head on accident, and can spread that shock over and around the skull, also allowing the helmet to let the head slide, instead of sticking where it hit, saving more lives. (Back to the point of the helmet absorbing some shock, then allowing your head to slide across pavement, rather than stick to the point of impact.)

I had an accident that most people would have never thought a human could survive. However, it involved myself on a crotch rocket, not a bicycle, at insane speeds, going over the side of a mountain in southern CA. How does this relate to a bicycle? My leathers and helmet saved me. My helmet came apart in the State Troopers hands when I was found. The leathers saved the skin on my ass, and helped keep me from "sticking" to the asphalt, and let me slide and dissipate the energy from the wreck. I woke up later, and numerous drunks in one car that tried their damnest to kill me were arrested. I concede that I was burning Kevlar on my knees in my leathers, but hey.... this is about surviving, I was riding crazy, in my dumbass youth, but wasn't the drunks in the car.

I know this isn't a motorcycle forum, but the dynamics of the human being hitting pavement, or vehicles, are very closely exactly the same. Will a helmet save you from that impact with a 2 ton truck? Pretty damned could be that the answer is no. Should you blow off a helmet because it might not save you? My guess is no. At least not in the US. I believe we are a state of rights, and since riding a bike is a right, unlike driving a car, then, except for minors, helmets should not be mandatory. Not here, not now. Take responsibility for your own decisions. Choose safety. I believe that in the few seconds you are watching yourself head for the pavement, you'd wish you had chosen a helmet, but then again, I support your right to choose for yourself. This has long been an argument for motorcyclists, and I don't think it will ever end, unless the state that the said rider either votes in mandatory helmet laws, or votes them out. I'll wear mine 24/7, but I believe in free will.

My best to all of you, on either side of this debate.
J.

It is an universal rule that every single rider no matter what you ride you MUST WEAR A HELMET, it is something as important as the bike itself, it could save your life by protecting your head as one of the most important parts of your body, wear it no matter what, otherwise you're gonna have some serious trouble, ALWAYS but ALWAYS wear a helmet!
I guess using your "universal" rule, you'd be more than happy to let me come into your home, for as many weeks or months as it takes, to decide, universally, what I feel that you might be doing as a danger to yourself, and make sure that I, have complete jurisdiction to DEMAND that you do what I say, to ensure you live a safe live, according to MY idea of what that may be.

Ha..ha..ha... dude, are you for f***ing real? I wear a helmet every time I ride, any farther than to the end of my driveway. Because I CHOOSE TO. I have no idea where you live. But many people prefer a nanny state, where their perceived safety and quality of life are confined by a large government group of overseers. I have that dreaded American disease, also known as freedom. If you live here, you might recognize it. It's a system where we tell the government to go **** themselves, along with their "progressive" (oppressive) ideas.

Even with all of that said, and I mean this as honestly as possible, I wish you the ability to be as peace with this issue that you can be.:)

This isn't about politics. It is about stupidity. This is not about rights, it is about privilege. If you knowingly choose to ride without a helmet with no regard to the danger you are a moron. That is all there is to it. There is no defense for it. I'm not going to tell you that you can't do it, I am going to tell you that you are stupid if you choose to do so. The law should maybe address financial response to resulting injuries in the case of adults, but in the case of children it should require helmets. If an adult wants to be stupid and crack his or her head open let them be the ones to pay for the mess.

You never know when you're going to fall off your bike dude, you should use all the equipment necessary every time you ride, that is all.

You have a cigar hanging out of your mouth in your avatar, and you're going to lecture folks on health/safety issues?
He is right, and you know it. You didn't have a valid counter point so you chose to mock his avatar. Your only angle thus far has been one of a political nature, and since his comment didn't touch on that why are you picking a fight over it?

I never wear a helmet and I think it will help little in a full-collision with a motor vehicle or a truck, especially if the oncoming vehicle is travelling at a high speed. I know of both cyclists and motor bike riders who have had a tragic end, even though they were wearing all the relevant safety gear.

I never wear a helmet and I think it will help little in a full-collision with a motor vehicle or a truck, especially if the oncoming vehicle is travelling at a high speed. I know of both cyclists and motor bike riders who have had a tragic end, even though they were wearing all the relevant safety gear.

Okay, first point, you are stupid for making that decision. Second point, your statement about collisions does not support your stupid decision. No safety precautions for anything will ever be 100% effective in all situations. High speed collisions don't account for most accidents that happen while cycling to begin with. What about all the other far more likely situations in which a helmet does help?

O.K., since you think everyone is stupid read here: http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1052.html try, if you can, reading scientific findings on the effectiveness of bicycle helmets. I can provide you dozens of studies with the same conclusion's but I really doubt that you're interested in empirical data. You really seem to have some sort of internal twisting torturous animosity towards people who choose to live their own lives, in accordance with their own views, and according to their local laws. Me, I always wear a helmet, so for you to call me stupid, and ***** about the costs to others in medical bills, first show me that data in dollars, then you excuse smoking?:rolleyes: Shall I send you millions of documents on the hazards to others, and the costs, in billions of dollars annually, that smoking facilitates? Lastly, do you actually really ride bicycles, or are you using this forum as a place to vent other mental issues you might be struggling with? Happy reading, and may you find peace, or at least an appropriate forum to grandstand, slander, insult, troll and whatever else it is that you are doing?

Hope you get help soon,

J:)

Last edited:
O.K., since you think everyone is stupid read here: http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1052.html try, if you can, reading scientific findings on the effectiveness of bicycle helmets.
There are many sources of information on the matter that I have already read. I never claimed that they are more or less effective than they are. There are two people I have specifically called out as making stupid decisions, that is not the same as thinking everybody is stupid.

You really seem to have some sort of internal twisting torturous animosity towards people who choose to live their own lives, in accordance with their own views, and according to their local laws. Me, I always wear a helmet, so for you to call me stupid, and ***** about the costs to others in medical bills, first show me that data in dollars, then you excuse smoking?
I actually didn't call you stupid at any point. I quoted the people that I was actually speaking about when I said it.
Shall I send you millions of documents on the hazards to others, and the costs, in billions of dollars annually, that smoking facilitates?
No, because I never advocated smoking, I pointed out that you were choosing to attack somebody over an avatar when you didn't have anything to back up an argument with them.
Lastly, do you actually really ride bicycles, or are you using this forum as a place to vent other mental issues you might be struggling with?
If you had been here any length of time or actually read many of my posts you would know that I am an avid cyclist, but I'm guessing you are just taking another jab because you can't substantiate the arguments you pick with people.

Happy reading, and may you find peace, or at least an appropriate forum to grandstand, slander, insult, troll and whatever else it is that you are doing?

Hope you get help soon,

You are doing a significant amount of grandstanding with your political comments and attacks on anyone that might disagree with your politics. I am responding to you doing exactly what you are accusing me of. Maybe you are the one suffering from mental health issues. You certainly seem to be narcissistic at the very least. Maybe you should seek some help or move on to another forum. As for happy reading, putting you on ignore is enough for that.