Help me get disc brakes!

I absolutely love my Deore Hydros (525) 8k miles and counting. Hayes and avid are the best mechanicals, avoid anyone less than 40 bucks or so for a new one(theres just some prices that are too good). I got mine on ebay for 140 for the set. THe wheels are Deore hub, Sun DS-2 XC rims. Those were 90 bucks at www.Jensonusa.com

"reknit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> First of all I'm a cheapskate. What are the pros and cons of upgrading
> to disc brakes on my 2001 Mongoose Inferno? Where can I look on-line,
> what should I look for or look out for? Front and rear?

Avid mechanicals on some hub that isn't too expensive with a reasonable set
of rims.

Hub wise, well, if you're on a budget start at Deore and work up the shimano
line to XT (XTR is for posh folk...)
Rims, depends on what you're planning on doing, best to talk to the local
bike shop that's going to build them.

And as for spending more on the wheels than on the frame. I reckon it's
worth it if you're planning on building your own bike as you can transfer
them over with minimum of fuss. I did this with a bike recently and I've now
junked the old naf frame and have the parts on something half decent. And
because I'd upgraded over time I ended up with a pretty good spec on the
bike.

But, if you're doing it because it looks good, well go get a burbury bike
helment or something. ;o)

AndyC