High Country Cycle Challenge

SuzieB

New Member
Oct 15, 2005
Rather fancy the challenge of this ride. I only wish I was fitter! Any one contemplating the High Country Cycle Challenge in March 2006?

http://www.highcountrycyclechallenge.com.au/index.html

I am very amused to see the ride is sponsored by Holden. :D

http://www.highcountrycyclechallenge.com.au/thejersey.html

I was just about to post the same question! I'm contemplating doing the
ride but wanted to know about anybody elses experiences (if the ride
has been run before, I don't know). Anyway, it's not until March -
plenty of time to get fit.

And I like the jersey!

Derek

SuzieB wrote:
> Rather fancy the challenge of this ride. I only wish I was fitter! Any
> one contemplating the High Country Cycle Challenge in March 2006?
>
> http://www.highcountrycyclechallenge.com.au/index.html
>
> I am very amused to see the ride is sponsored by Holden. :D

I was just about to post the same question! I'm contemplating it but
would like to know about anybody elses experience on the ride (if it
has been run before, I'm not sure). Plenty of time to get fit anyway.

And I like the jersey!

Derek

SuzieB wrote:
> Rather fancy the challenge of this ride. I only wish I was fitter! Any
> one contemplating the High Country Cycle Challenge in March 2006?
>
> http://www.highcountrycyclechallenge.com.au/index.html
>
> I am very amused to see the ride is sponsored by Holden. :D
>
> http://www.highcountrycyclechallenge.com.au/thejersey.html
>

> --
> SuzieB

Four months is plenty of time to get fitter Suzie. There's only the one
real climb.

A few other amusing things:
"Your own tour de the High Country!" French lessons apparently not
included.

"If your road bike has a standard 39-52 front chain set, the HHCCC
recommends you have at least 21-tooth first gear." There wouldnt be
many blocks available now with smaller than a 21, would there?

MalP

Mal wrote:
> Four months is plenty of time to get fitter Suzie. There's only the one
> real climb.

I was always told it takes 6 weeks to get fit. Strong however takes
forever.

But to finish you need to be fit.. so 6 weeks

Dave

> A few other amusing things:
> "Your own tour de the High Country!" French lessons apparently not
> included.
>
> "If your road bike has a standard 39-52 front chain set, the HHCCC
> recommends you have at least 21-tooth first gear." There wouldnt be
> many blocks available now with smaller than a 21, would there?

In shimano or campy none that are new I don;t think. 9 speed as a
straight block if anyone uses a straight block anymore would be 12 to 21.

Sounds like a great ride...but very expensive, less than 2% of entry fee goes to a charity, and isn't there something a little odd/wrong with a cycling jersey bearing a large car makers logo?

Pat

SuzieB said:
Rather fancy the challenge of this ride. I only wish I was fitter! Any one contemplating the High Country Cycle Challenge in March 2006?

http://www.highcountrycyclechallenge.com.au/index.html

I am very amused to see the ride is sponsored by Holden. :D

http://www.highcountrycyclechallenge.com.au/thejersey.html
I'm thinking about it... I figure if I can get ready for the Alpine Classic in January I should be able to maintain enough fitness for March... (I hope!)

cheers,
ali

SuzieB said:
Rather fancy the challenge of this ride. I only wish I was fitter! Any one contemplating the High Country Cycle Challenge in March 2006?

http://www.highcountrycyclechallenge.com.au/index.html

I am very amused to see the ride is sponsored by Holden. :D

http://www.highcountrycyclechallenge.com.au/thejersey.html
It certainly reads like a great ride I have been thinking about it for a while, actually posted a thread on cyclingforums australian section and didnt get much response at all.

If you are riding regularly up to March and try and get some good climbs in, I think it is plenty of time to do it comfortably.
Seems quite expensive and the tiny donation to charity(which one?) almost seems pointless.

The irony of Holden sponsorship certainly wasn't lost on me, do they know what the feeings of many cyclists are towards their products???

Anyhow, I am still contemplating and trying to justify the cost at the moment.

SEGFTG said:
It certainly reads like a great ride I have been thinking about it for a while, actually posted a thread on cyclingforums australian section and didnt get much response at all.

If you are riding regularly up to March and try and get some good climbs in, I think it is plenty of time to do it comfortably.
Seems quite expensive and the tiny donation to charity(which one?) almost seems pointless.

The irony of Holden sponsorship certainly wasn't lost on me, do they know what the feeings of many cyclists are towards their products???

Anyhow, I am still contemplating and trying to justify the cost at the moment.
When you factor in accomodation in Mansfield and Mount Buller it becomes an expensive couple of days.

SuzieB said:
When you factor in accomodation in Mansfield and Mount Buller it becomes an expensive couple of days.
Yeah, i forgot about the accomodation, and then there is getting there in the first place... its sounding worse by the minute!

It would be easier and cheaper to organise a forum high country challenge, somewhere a bit closer to Melbourne...

SEGFTG said:
Yeah, i forgot about the accomodation, and then there is getting there in the first place... its sounding worse by the minute!

It would be easier and cheaper to organise a forum high country challenge, somewhere a bit closer to Melbourne...
yeah, even factoring in a holden jersey you'd still be quids ahead ;-)