high powered LED's

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Katharine & Paul, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Messages:
    704
    Likes Received:
    0
    TimC wrote:

    > I was thinking of going the flourescent route at some stage.

    I think the main problem with fluorescent for a bike light is that they have low surface brightness compared with LEDs, filaments, and discharge lamps. In order to get any sort of beam throw, you need really big optics.

    Regards,

    Suzy
     


  2. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-05, suzyj (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    >
    > TimC wrote:
    >
    >> I was thinking of going the flourescent route at some stage.

    >
    > I think the main problem with fluorescent for a bike light is that they
    > have low surface brightness compared with LEDs, filaments, and discharge
    > lamps. In order to get any sort of beam throw, you need really big
    > optics.


    Will a Smidgt^WSchmidght^WSchmiht^W1.2M camera do?

    Heh heh heh.

    --
    TimC
    Press any key to continue, any other key to abort
    -- thrillbert's code
     
  3. Ray

    Ray Guest

  4. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Poiter wrote:
    > Marty Wrote:
    >
    >>This is my latest twin 5 watt Luxeon setup. I've also just started
    >>using
    >>a Litium Polymer battery which is super light. I could never go back
    >>to
    >>incandescent lamps.
    >>
    >>http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/Lights3/Luxeon3.htm
    >>
    >>Marty

    >
    >
    > What does the extra thumb shifter do?


    It's the lockout for the shockies. Stiffens 'em up for long climbs so
    you don't bounce.

    >
    > A 3watt luxeon is enuff for a nightime Audax ride and runs up to 18
    > hours on 3 x "C" cell alkalines with no electronics require (very
    > KISS).
    > http://users.cyberone.com.au/heal/LUXEONLEDS.htm
    >
    > Pete
    >
    >
     
  5. Marty

    Marty Guest

    ghostgum wrote:
    > Marty Wrote:
    >
    >>This is my latest twin 5 watt Luxeon setup. I've also just started
    >>using
    >>a Litium Polymer battery which is super light. I could never go back
    >>to
    >>incandescent lamps.
    >>
    >>http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/Lights3/Luxeon3.htm
    >>
    >>Marty

    >
    >
    >
    > Someone else also uses a Tweety battery!
    > I use a 20W halogen which uses a little too much power.
    > On one of my bikes this runs off a 3.5AH NiMH Tweety battery
    > which gives 2 hours of running time, and I only need 0.5 hours
    > per day. If I was commuting further, I would probably try a
    > 3W+ LED.
    >
    > If you really want efficiency, you could try High Intensity Discharge
    > (arc) lamps.
    >
    > http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1332
    > http://www.halcyon.net/lights/hid-faq.shtml
    > No idea whether these could handle the vibration of being mounted
    > on a bike.
    >
    > For an efficiency table:
    > http://lists.meer.net/pipermail/junk-l/2005-August/000208.html
    > http://www.answers.com/topic/incandescent-light-bulb
    > http://www.aps.com/images/pdf/Lighting.pdf
    >
    > In general the efficiency order is, Incandescent < LED < Fluorescent
    > < Discharge. There is overlap between these classes.
    >
    >


    The advantages of the LEDs is ruggedness.
     
  6. On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:29:59 +1100, suzyj wrote:

    > You've clearly had your head in a bucket the last few years.


    True, but it's because I'm so hideously ugly that wearing it is the
    only way I can get other people to ride with me. As long as I secure
    it to keep the eye holes from moving, it's pretty safe.

    I'm looking into more aero buckets at the moment to improve my
    performance.

    > There are
    > heaps of high wattage LEDs aavailable now that outshine all but the
    > brightest halogen lamps.


    I see the confusion. Technically a LED is a single light-emitting diode,
    and they don't greatly increase in power consumption, just get more
    efficient and brighter over time, and get better optics (hence a narrower
    beam).

    Obviously you can put lots of them together and get high power consumption
    and much greater brightness, but the result is a "high-power lamp using
    LEDs", not a "high-power LED" :)

    --
    Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw
     
  7. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Ray wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    > says...
    >
    >>This is my latest twin 5 watt Luxeon setup. I've also just started using
    >>a Litium Polymer battery which is super light. I could never go back to
    >>incandescent lamps.
    >>
    >>http://www.hyperactive.oz.nf/Lights3/Luxeon3.htm
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Do I spy a divider section from a BAC workbench? (The aluminium plate
    > with the bent down edge)
    >
    > Cheers, Ray



    My god!
    You do have sharp eyes.

    I would have preferred something a bit thicker but I couldn't find
    anything and it was the right size and it was spare and .....


    Marty
     
  8. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Michael Warner wrote:
    > On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:29:59 +1100, suzyj wrote:
    >
    >
    >>You've clearly had your head in a bucket the last few years.

    >
    >
    > True, but it's because I'm so hideously ugly that wearing it is the
    > only way I can get other people to ride with me. As long as I secure
    > it to keep the eye holes from moving, it's pretty safe.
    >
    > I'm looking into more aero buckets at the moment to improve my
    > performance.
    >
    >
    >>There are
    >>heaps of high wattage LEDs aavailable now that outshine all but the
    >>brightest halogen lamps.

    >
    >
    > I see the confusion. Technically a LED is a single light-emitting diode,
    > and they don't greatly increase in power consumption, just get more
    > efficient and brighter over time, and get better optics (hence a narrower
    > beam).
    >
    > Obviously you can put lots of them together and get high power consumption
    > and much greater brightness, but the result is a "high-power lamp using
    > LEDs", not a "high-power LED" :)
    >


    Technically you may be correct. But the bottom line of cost, ruggedness,
    brightness, beam shape and weight makes it ideal for me. I have tried
    the others and high power is best for what I do. And besides, 1 watt IS
    high power for a LED.
     
  9. ghostgum

    ghostgum New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    245
    Likes Received:
    0
    That depends on your point of view.
    If it needs a heat sink, I'd call it high power.
    The early LEDs were 20mA at 1.7V = 0.035W.
    A modern high power Luxeon LED is 700mA at 6V = 5W and it needs
    a heat sink (i.e. has to be attached to a metal object to dissipate
    the heat). So you could put multiple lower power LEDs together,
    but people are talking about using a single high power LED per light.

    It appears you can now get a 7W LED flashlight
    http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2328
     
  10. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    --
    Frank
    [email protected]
    Drop DACKS to reply
    "Michael Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:29:59 +1100, suzyj wrote:
    >
    > > You've clearly had your head in a bucket the last few years.

    >
    > True, but it's because I'm so hideously ugly that wearing it is the
    > only way I can get other people to ride with me. As long as I secure
    > it to keep the eye holes from moving, it's pretty safe.
    >
    > I'm looking into more aero buckets at the moment to improve my
    > performance.
    >
    > > There are
    > > heaps of high wattage LEDs aavailable now that outshine all but the
    > > brightest halogen lamps.

    >
    > I see the confusion. Technically a LED is a single light-emitting diode,
    > and they don't greatly increase in power consumption, just get more
    > efficient and brighter over time, and get better optics (hence a narrower
    > beam).
    >
    > Obviously you can put lots of them together and get high power consumption
    > and much greater brightness, but the result is a "high-power lamp using
    > LEDs", not a "high-power LED" :)
    >
    > --
    > Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw


    I recently got a Cateye HL - EL 510. Single high-power LED. Bright as a very
    bright thing, lights up the road/path well enough for these tired old
    peepers to see where I'm going very well. I've even used it for some
    steady-paced, pretty easy off-road riding. I'm impressed with it.

    me
     
  11. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    Likes Received:
    0
    AH! so that's why you got rid of the windscreen
    ;) :p ;) ;) :p :D
     
  12. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    Messages:
    285
    Likes Received:
    0
    I also have made a 3 watt luxeon head light.
    Agree that its "kiss" but added a voltage regulator to give less chance of early total failure and longer life before the LED starts to loose its oomph.

    A Voltage regulator is available from (link)Oatley Electronics
    http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/kits/k216.html
    costs $5.90 and can be made easily by a novice with a soldering iron and using the kitchen table as a workshop.
    For the weight weenies its a solid 8 grams.

    I agonised for ages over what to build. Knew I wanted to go Luxeon but 3watt or 5watt? 3 watt will run off 3.70V @ 700mA for 65 lumens output or 3.90V @ 1000mA VDC @ for 80 lumens. That means a 6volt, 4 x 1.5v dry cell, 1 small 6v gell cell, or 4.8 volts from 4 x 1.2 volt ni-mh rechargables and all need the small regulator.
    Other option is 5 watt which has totally different power needs and either a "large" DIY voltage regulator or an expensive puck and a 12 volt supply (cant find exact numbers ATM) so I went for the 3 watt and a Fraen Narrow Beam Lens. Works well for 2 x 35-40 km rides or 3.5 -4 hours. Could squeeze another night out of batts but no need. No complaints.
    Being a typical "boy" I have started building a twin 3 watt system and this time will use 1 narrow beam lens for low beam and an eliptical lens in the vertical plane for high beam.
    The 1 watt RED luxeon tail ( bloody unbelievably bright)running from 4 AAA rechargables will be finished when the jigsaw puzzle disappears from the kitchen table!

    Be Seen

    Hugh
     
  13. geoffs

    geoffs New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    Messages:
    558
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am impressed with the output of this, 200 lumens vs the 120 lumen output of the 5w Luxeon. Strange that Luxeon dont have it listed on their website.
    I think I'll stick to the 21W HID Stadium III which uses this globe for the 1850 lumen output. LED's seem to be great for being seen but it's good to see where you are going.

    Geoff
     
  14. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    warrwych wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > When we did the Wonth HPV GP, there was a floodlight around the footy
    > > oval, and it was the most dangerous part of the course because of that
    > > light. The dark sections were much safer as you could see things
    > > other
    > > than the halo of the floodlight in the windscreen. Urgh ...

    >
    > AH! so that's why you got rid of the windscreen


    Yep. By the time I got in it for my second shift, I couldn't see out
    of it except for a smudgey circle about 15cm in diameter. Made for
    *very* interesting navigation ... bump - yep, that's the edge of the
    road .... so we kicked it out after my second shift.
     
  15. Marty

    Marty Guest

    HughMann wrote:
    > Poiter Wrote:
    >
    >>A 3watt luxeon is enuff for a nightime Audax ride and runs up to 18
    >>hours on 3 x "C" cell alkalines with no electronics require (very
    >>KISS).
    >>http://users.cyberone.com.au/heal/LUXEONLEDS.htm
    >>
    >>Pete

    >
    >
    > I also have made a 3 watt luxeon head light.
    > Agree that its "kiss" but added a voltage regulator to give less chance
    > of early total failure and longer life before the LED starts to loose
    > its oomph.
    >
    > A Voltage regulator is available from (link)'Oatley Electronics'
    > (http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/kits/k216.html)
    > http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/kits/k216.html
    > costs $5.90 and can be made easily by a novice with a soldering iron
    > and using the kitchen table as a workshop.
    > For the weight weenies its a solid 8 grams.
    >
    > I agonised for ages over what to build. Knew I wanted to go Luxeon but
    > 3watt or 5watt? 3 watt will run off 3.70V @ 700mA for 65 lumens output
    > or 3.90V @ 1000mA VDC @ for 80 lumens. That means a 6volt, 4 x 1.5v
    > dry cell, 1 small 6v gell cell, or 4.8 volts from 4 x 1.2 volt ni-mh
    > rechargables and all need the small regulator.
    > Other option is 5 watt which has totally different power needs and
    > either a "large" DIY voltage regulator or an expensive puck and a 12
    > volt supply (cant find exact numbers ATM) so I went for the 3 watt and
    > a Fraen Narrow Beam Lens. Works well for 2 x 35-40 km rides or 3.5 -4
    > hours. Could squeeze another night out of batts but no need. No
    > complaints.
    > Being a typical "boy" I have started building a twin 3 watt system and
    > this time will use 1 narrow beam lens for low beam and an eliptical
    > lens in the vertical plane for high beam.
    > The 1 watt RED luxeon tail ( bloody unbelievably bright)running from 4
    > AAA rechargables will be finished when the jigsaw puzzle disappears
    > from the kitchen table!
    >
    > Be Seen
    >
    > Hugh
    >
    >


    I tried running with a 1 watt red LED but found the light too strange,
    like seeing everything in black and white. It really lights up anything
    reflective though. It ran off two 1.5 volt AA cells in series.

    Marty
     
  16. Marty

    Marty Guest

    geoffs wrote:
    > ghostgum Wrote:
    >
    >>That depends on your point of view.
    >>If it needs a heat sink, I'd call it high power.
    >>The early LEDs were 20mA at 1.7V = 0.035W.
    >>A modern high power Luxeon LED is 700mA at 6V = 5W and it needs
    >>a heat sink (i.e. has to be attached to a metal object to dissipate
    >>the heat). So you could put multiple lower power LEDs together,
    >>but people are talking about using a single high power LED per light.
    >>
    >>It appears you can now get a 7W LED flashlight
    >>http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2328

    >
    >
    > I am impressed with the output of this, 200 lumens vs the 120 lumen
    > output of the 5w Luxeon. Strange that Luxeon dont have it listed on
    > their website.
    > I think I'll stick to the 21W HID Stadium III which uses this 'globe'
    > (http://tinyurl.com/8qfyh) for the 1850 lumen output. LED's seem to be
    > great for being seen but it's good to see where you are going.
    >
    > Geoff
    >
    >


    My guess is that it's an overdriven 5 watt one and they've just
    multiplied up the Lumens and then added a bit to say theirs is the
    brightest in the world. I'd be skeptical of the claims unless I saw more
    supporting evidence of their measurements. According to Luxeons data the
    orange LEDs may be that bright but the white ones aren't.

    I've seen HID lights and they're really impressive but I just feel more
    secure with the robustness and reliability of the LEDs, maybe a HID with
    an LED backup is the way to go.

    Skeptical Marty
     
  17. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Likes Received:
    0
    Dude, the most dangerous part of that course was whereever you or Neil were riding!! hahaha :D

    hippy
     
  18. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Bleve Wrote:
    > >
    > > When we did the Wonth HPV GP, there was a floodlight around the footy
    > > oval, and it was the most dangerous part of the course because of that
    > > light. The dark sections were much safer as you could see things
    > > other
    > > than the halo of the floodlight in the windscreen. Urgh ...

    >
    > Dude, the most dangerous part of that course was whereever you or Neil
    > were riding!! hahaha :D


    I wasn't Cpt Ramraider!
     
  19. L'acrobat

    L'acrobat Guest

    "Michael Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >
    > I see the confusion. Technically a LED is a single light-emitting diode,
    > and they don't greatly increase in power consumption, just get more
    > efficient and brighter over time, and get better optics (hence a narrower
    > beam).
    >
    > Obviously you can put lots of them together and get high power consumption
    > and much greater brightness, but the result is a "high-power lamp using
    > LEDs", not a "high-power LED" :)


    You mean like the Cateye HL-EL500, which uses 1 x LED and throws plenty of
    light to ride by?
     
  20. geoffs

    geoffs New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    Messages:
    558
    Likes Received:
    0
    We do have an LED as a backup for when I've forgotten to charge the battery. One thing that I have noticed though is that cars are much more prone top pulling out in front of when using the LED than the HID. With the LED car drivers know that it is a bike approaching whereas with the HID they must think its a motorbike and just wait until we are past.
    Anyone else with this experience or is it just us?

    The 21w HID globe is only rated at 350hrs MTBF on the Welch Allyn site. The 10w has a 1000hr rating.
    So I had better start saving up for the $239USD for a new globe. Bugger!

    I wonder how long the Luxeon would last at 7w?

    I was reading on the the Surefire site and elsewhere that green is the colour that the human eye is most receptive to. Has anyone tried the green luxeon stars which emit 160lumens vs the 120 for white?

    Cheers

    Geoff
     
Loading...
Loading...