Higher Heart Rate

JAPANic

Aug 11, 2003
My heart rate seems to be running at a faster beat than it did a year ago.

I'm not sure if this is a good sign or a bad sign.

Last year to get my max I had to ride up a steep mountain. (got to 192)

Recently I get to 192 on the flat while sprinting. (twice)

Does this mean my heart is stronger now and my Max may in fact be higher than 192?

I am riding a little faster than a year ago, and I've done about 6000km in that year.

I was a little disappointed last week when doing a 100km race.
My heart beat last year for the race averaged 160bpm
This year I averaged 174bpm yet my time was worse than last year. (may have just been a bad day), but it rang some alarm bells. I was on a faster bike, but lacked drafting help compared to the previous year).

Am I sick?

Over trained?

Undertained?

Or is there nothing wrong?

JAPANic said:

Does this mean my heart is stronger now and my Max may in fact be higher than 192?

I am riding a little faster than a year ago, and I've done about 6000km in that year.

This year I averaged 174bpm yet my time was worse than last year. (may have just been a bad day), but it rang some alarm bells. I was on a faster bike, but lacked drafting help compared to the previous year).

Am I sick?

Over trained?

Undertained?

You see the problem with relying only on HR as a gauge - as opposed to using power or at least incorporating HR and RPE and pace?? Practically anything will impact your HR. It could be higher if you lost some fitness (ex: put a couch potato on a bike and I bet his HR will get pretty darn high) or it could be from being able to tap into and activate more muscle fibers.

The most important gauge is your pace.

JAPANic said:

you might be in better shape. this same thing happened to me. back when i was out of shape. a couple of minutes doing 160bpm would just wear me out and i couldnt go long enough to see 170,180,etc. but now i am in better shape and my legs are able to sustained the effort for longer and harder. My heart is having to keep up with my legs, and lately my hr can go as high as 190 and i don't feel like i'm going to pass out or anything.

I think you are right there as well.

Next week I'm going to a mountain where I did my first HRM test. I'll go as hard as I can again here and see what happens.

I couldn't even get to the top of the mountain when I peaked last time. If I get ot the top without getting off and I can push my heart to it's max again, I may be able to see if I'm a much fitter person whose heart can perform better now that it has been working out more than it did before.

I may be able to get a higher max as well.

I notice I don't get out of breath like I did a year ago and my heart returns to a normal zone very quickly after a sprint which is proof that my fitness is better.

I want to get a doctor to do a V02 Max test as well... Been almost 2 years since I had it done before and I was in the worst shape of my life then.
:eek:

Thanks for your reply.

JAPANic said:

Am I sick?

Over trained?

Undertained?

Did you go through a rest period? i took a few months easy training after race season. now my heart rate goes up higher easier then it did before the rest, but im still in pretty good shape. a sign of overtraining is a lower hrt on the bike, but as another poster said could be lots of things.

zaskar said:
Did you go through a rest period? i took a few months easy training after race season. now my heart rate goes up higher easier then it did before the rest, but im still in pretty good shape. a sign of overtraining is a lower hrt on the bike, but as another poster said could be lots of things.
I noticed that when I'm fatigued, my heart rate seems to either be really high when i'm not putting out much wattage or i just seem to be really fatigued when my heart rate is as low as 145bpm. On these days after a hard ride when i'm trying to recover, I've noticed that the best thing to do is either to take a rest day all together, do some other cardio (swim, run) or just ride at a steady and easy pace down the Silver Comet. Over training sucks.