How fast do you ride on flat ground?

jsull14

Nov 26, 2005
I have been riding at around 18mph and I keep getting passed by guys in fancy jerseys. I catch up to them and hold their wheel at about 20mph. I'm not sure how long I could maintain that increased cadence, but I realize that I have to start riding faster so I'm going to start pushing myself more.

My question is what speed is good on flats with no wind and no drafting support? How fast do you ride?

Thanks

If getting faster is your goal, you're going to have to perform specific training workouts (intervals, etc) coupled with proper rest/recovery to improve your ability.

My understanding from graphs I've seen is that holding 35kph (22mph) requires about 225 watts of continuous power on a flat, windless road--but obviously a LOT depends on how aerodynamic you are, the condition of the road, etc. so that's just a rough, speculative guess. I've also seen a graph showing that the typical Cat5 rider (the lowest level of competitive cycling) can put out about 3 kilowatts per kilogram for one hour. So, assuming he weighs 165 pounds (75kg), he can probably hold 22 mph for 1 hour solo in flat, windless conditions.

But I could be totally wrong.

--Steve

ZimboNC said:
If getting faster is your goal, you're going to have to perform specific training workouts (intervals, etc) coupled with proper rest/recovery to improve your ability.

My understanding from graphs I've seen is that holding 35kph (22mph) requires about 225 watts of continuous power on a flat, windless road--but obviously a LOT depends on how aerodynamic you are, the condition of the road, etc. so that's just a rough, speculative guess. I've also seen a graph showing that the typical Cat5 rider (the lowest level of competitive cycling) can put out about 3 kilowatts per kilogram for one hour. So, assuming he weighs 165 pounds (75kg), he can probably hold 22 mph for 1 hour solo in flat, windless conditions.

--Steve
Yesterday, after coming out of the mountains and heading home on the flat I was cruising at 40kph and it didn't feel like 220 Watts to me. (compared with the effort to generate 220 W in the gym).There was also a slight head wind, so I wasn't being pushed from behind. Maybe the gym meters are haywire.
I hope so because then I'm generating more power than I thought!:D

Always above 21 mph when cruising. About 21.5 to 22 mph, generally, without trying too hard.

ZimboNC said:
=I've also seen a graph showing that the typical Cat5 rider (the lowest level of competitive cycling) can put out about 3 kilowatts per kilogram for one hour. So, assuming he weighs 165 pounds (75kg), he can probably hold 22 mph for 1 hour solo in flat, windless conditions.

--Steve
Aside from the units (3kW/kg would shred most frames, that should be 3W/kg) I think you're about right. Now if only I could find 22 miles of flat pavement around here...

Amped that sounds fast. What gear ratio are you in while doing 22 mph?

AmpedCycle said:
Always above 21 mph when cruising. About 21.5 to 22 mph, generally, without trying too hard.

Usually in my 42x14 or 42x15, or thereabouts on my middle ring triple. Sometimes I'll go into my big ring @ 52x19 or 52x21.
You know, I'm getting a new bike this week, and it's a double. The funny thing is is that I don't think there's a sweet spot for cruising at my favorite speed without having some chain flex. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, either. Chain flex would mean that there is a significant angle created by the chain between the chainring and cassette. I might post this question over in the equipment section, too.
PS- I wouldn't worry o much about your low speed right now. I remember when I first started and cruised in your mph range, too. I remember shooting to hold onto an average of 20 mph... and then 21... and then not worrying about it anymore when it got over 21 just out of habit and stayed there. Also, as a beginner (I'm assuming you are a beginner) you'll probably not notice the wind as much. As you get more experienced you'll be able to really dile into crosswinds and all the rest and accurately predict your true speed given power output. So all things considered, there's an error factor to figure in, too.

AmpedCycle said:
Usually in my 42x14 or 42x15, or thereabouts on my middle ring triple. Sometimes I'll go into my big ring @ 52x19 or 52x21.
You know, I'm getting a new bike this week, and it's a double. The funny thing is is that I don't think there's a sweet spot for cruising at my favorite speed without having some chain flex. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, either. Chain flex would mean that there is a significant angle created by the chain between the chainring and cassette. I might post this question over in the equipment section, too.
PS- I wouldn't worry o much about your low speed right now. I remember when I first started and cruised in your mph range, too. I remember shooting to hold onto an average of 20 mph... and then 21... and then not worrying about it anymore when it got over 21 just out of habit and stayed there. Also, as a beginner (I'm assuming you are a beginner) you'll probably not notice the wind as much. As you get more experienced you'll be able to really dile into crosswinds and all the rest and accurately predict your true speed given power output. So all things considered, there's an error factor to figure in, too.
You must have some flat roads to cruise at 35km/h. On rolling terrain I average about 31-32km/h when I am cruising but when I mean cruise I mean cruise;) as if in I could ride at that tempo for 2 hours plus easily under 70% mhr. On a totally flat road I usually always have to deal with wind in one direction or the other :( .

ATM I am just doing base/ endurance rides (targeting races towards the end of the year) so my avg speed is only 28-30 inbetween 55-65% mhr.

I averaged 36.0 km/hr for 52 km one way on slightly rolling terrain yesterday riding from a small town to my parent's countryside place into a headwind of 1-1.5 m/s. Temperature was 1-4 degrees C. I had bib pants, a t-shirt and a thin red cycling top on, and a small backpack. Pretty much hammering it, but I was tired because I had done a weekend camp the previous weekend, 145 km on sunday and 80 on saturday plus 50 on T,W,T,F.

Today I ride back, if it doesn't rain.

-Bikeguy

bikeguy said:
I averaged 36.0 km/hr for 52 km one way on slightly rolling terrain yesterday riding from a small town to my parent's countryside place into a headwind of 1-1.5 m/s. Temperature was 1-4 degrees C. I had bib pants, a t-shirt and a thin red cycling top on, and a small backpack. Pretty much hammering it, but I was tired because I had done a weekend camp the previous weekend, 145 km on sunday and 80 on saturday plus 50 on T,W,T,F.

Today I ride back, if it doesn't rain.

-Bikeguy
Bikeguy, that's 22 mph....fast for a solo ride of 32 miles into a light headwind, even on flat ground. Of course, you have that cold, oxygen-rich fresh air up in Finland. Last Saturday for our ride the temp got up to 30*C by early afternoon. With the sun and humidity, it's already hot enough to slow the pace for most of us.

does it really take 225 watts of power to hold that speed???

i ask cause im a beginner (dont have a bike yet) and ive been using a bike machine at the gym. i can only hold 200 watts for about 5 minutes then i have to bring it down to about 165 or even 140 and i alternate between those. are bike machines even accurate when measuring watts???

david462 said:
does it really take 225 watts of power to hold that speed??????
Depends on conditions and how aerodynamic you are. Could vary by 20 watts or more.

david462 said:
are bike machines even accurate when measuring watts???
Most likely, no.

jsull14 said:
I have been riding at around 18mph and I keep getting passed by guys in fancy jerseys. I catch up to them and hold their wheel at about 20mph. I'm not sure how long I could maintain that increased cadence, but I realize that I have to start riding faster so I'm going to start pushing myself more.

My question is what speed is good on flats with no wind and no drafting support? How fast do you ride?

Thanks
Personally, i wouldn't focus on what speed other people ride at or what's a 'good speed'. IMO, using speed to measure your progress is very tricky unless it's done in a controlled and reproducable environment eg velodrome or indoor trainer. I think what you're really after (as are we all) is increasing your sustainable power and i don't think going outdoors and trying to hold x km/h on your rides is the best approach.

jsull14 said:

Thanks
I think the answer is very simple here js, you have to get yourself an even fancier "go fast" jersey.:D
Tyson

Sillyoldtwit said:
I think the answer is very simple here js, you have to get yourself an even fancier "go fast" jersey.:D
Tyson
I'm with you. Get a flamboyant jersey with big fat letters on it, like FASSA BORTOLO or something like that.

dhk said:
Bikeguy, that's 22 mph....fast for a solo ride of 32 miles into a light headwind, even on flat ground. Of course, you have that cold, oxygen-rich fresh air up in Finland. Last Saturday for our ride the temp got up to 30*C by early afternoon. With the sun and humidity, it's already hot enough to slow the pace for most of us.

Aahhh! 30 degrees, I love that kind of weather! Probably a bit too hot for long rides, but fantastic for sprinting. I prefer it hot!

The air is pretty good up here in that it's clean.

Dhk, I take it you ride competitively? How is your training going, if I may ask?

-Bikeguy

jsull14 said:

Thanks
There are too many variables to put a tangible figure on. Go out there push yourself hard and enjoy the ride. Compare the ride time with a ride 6 months earlier and you should be pleasently supprised with your progress.

I'm surprised at all of this. Firstly I am surprised nobody has mentioned that the question poses no relation to distance. By that I mean you could go 30mph for a little stretch in such conditions.

So is 22mph good? :confused:

I was under the impression that was pretty average but maybe I have been misinformed.

jsull14 said:

Thanks

32mph avg.......

AmpedCycle said:
I'm with you. Get a flamboyant jersey with big fat letters on it, like FASSA BORTOLO or something like that.
I'm fairly new to cycling, but I have been watching the TdF for many years. I always thought ONCE looked pretty cool and intimidating but I don't think they have a team anymore.