How fast do you ride on flat ground?

jsull14 said:
I'm fairly new to cycling, but I have been watching the TdF for many years. I always thought ONCE looked pretty cool and intimidating but I don't think they have a team anymore.
I think ONCE "morphed" into the Liberty Suguros team...

If your name is John Howard, the answer would be 152 miles per hour. On a bicycle. (Of course, he was drafting behind a race car. But it's a record.)

This is another "How Long Is A Peice Of String" type question

Edit: Don't mind the question, interesting replys but determaning absolutely flat ground is hard enough.

I'm in agreement with everyone else about the conditions being so changeable. I do the same 22.5 mile journey, which I started as a measure of my improvement and it tells me nothing because the wind plays such a big role. I average 19.8mph (I have to put the 0.8 in as its soooooo close to that magic 20) on a good day and 15 on a windy day. Most of the time when the weather is good I'm cruising at between 20 and 25, but having to stop start in town at the end of the route depressingly brings that crashing down.

That's all on 42X16, the only gear on my winter bike.

I was aiming to do my journey in less than an hour eventually as it seems that a 25 in less than an hour is acheivable at a high amateur level - I'm starting to get a bit more realistic though now! (and claiming that the wind is always against me helps though everyone knows that's not true)

bikeguy said:
Aahhh! 30 degrees, I love that kind of weather! Probably a bit too hot for long rides, but fantastic for sprinting. I prefer it hot!

The air is pretty good up here in that it's clean.

Dhk, I take it you ride competitively? How is your training going, if I may ask?

-Bikeguy
Bikeguy, I'm just an old club rider...58 now. Retired, so I finally have plenty of time to ride. The downside is that age means it takes longer to recover from hard efforts.

Have a big annual event is this weekend; a 100 km mountain loop with about 2700 meters of total elevation gain. As long as I keep up with most of the group, and not suffer on the final hills, will be happy. Might compare my times with last year, but I no longer measure the enjoyment of a good ride in terms of average speed.

Looked up your city in the Rand McNally. At 62*N lat, in the central lake region of Finland, bet you do have plenty of fresh air and beautiful scenery. Hope you have a some good, low-traffic roads to ride in the summer months. Cross-country skiing and outdoor ice skating should be great the rest of the year; and you've always got the sauna on the bad weather days :)

I keep getting into these weird ego races with other roadies when they come past me unawares at high speed. What I find is 9 times out of 10 I can hold the person's wheel but whenever I overtake and get back in front I feel like my whole body becoming noodles and my cardio going into overdrive. Meantime, the other rider is right behind.
The truth is I guess I'm not a fast rider. My style is regular and strong and most of what I do is ride hills. Having said that I have the excuse my fitness is lacking as I haven't been able to train due to work constrictions and lack of time.

I have trouble pacing myself. I only do short rides (16-22miles) and I do intervals as much as possible. So I expect I would struggle to do long rides as I have no idea what pace I need to go at to survive a long stint at constant speed. Initially I thought 22mph was slow because I usually only do 5 mile intervals.

What I hate is cruising down the road at my usual 21-22 mph and then get wooshed by some dude on a cervelo, w/ an aero setup in a complete tuck doing 26. Of course, he's not doing the 65 mile ride that I am, but it still makes me jealous. Not that I can't keep up for a little while, either, but by the time I'm getting home it's been a hard day if you know what I mean and I need to engorge myself on burritos and instant jello.

TeleVizedPayne said:
I call BS on this. Tyler Hamilton did 29.76 miles in 57:31 in the last Olympics. :rolleyes:

YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU!
It's not that impressive, it would have put him like 50th back at last year's Tour Prologue.

TeleVizedPayne said:
I call BS on this. Tyler Hamilton did 29.76 miles in 57:31 in the last Olympics. :rolleyes:

YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU!

lol people get so wound up on this forum......." grr must go faster than everyone else"

I think he was joking? If not, he's pretty damn fast. Nate O'neil averaged just a bit faster than that for a much shorter local tt.

whoawhoa said:
I think he was joking? If not, he's pretty damn fast. Nate O'neil averaged just a bit faster than that for a much shorter local tt.

lol someone had to figure it out ;)

artmichalek said:
It's not that impressive, it would have put him like 50th back at last year's Tour Prologue.
I still throw the yellow flag and call BS! Tyler's speed was good enough for a medal in the Olympics. I doubt our poster is in the top 50 of the Prologue of the TDF. Those guys are too busy riding to lay on the BS on the cycling forum.:D