How many miles can you cover in one ride?

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
I am just curious that's why this thread. I am a leisure rider and this does not apply to me. However, I wonder if there is someone here who could ride 200 kilometers in one day. From talks that I hear when I join a riding group, the most I gather is 120 kilometers of distance covered in a day of riding, that's from the early morning to mid afternoon. So I am thinking if that guy would ride from morning to dusk then he may travel 200 kilometers.

200 kilometers in one day? That's like cycling at 8,34 Km/hr or 2,317 m/ seg for 24 hours non stop. Under those figures, It really doesn't sound as impressive as it looks. Since A fit cyclist could be riding at 12-16 Km/hr, I guess is something doable even with proper respite, but I think you don't have anything else to do besides cycling 200 km within 24 hours.

Those distances sound realistic, and I'm sure I could handle it comfortably at my current fitness levels. But since I've got a family and business commitments, I just can't get away from work or home for even an entire day. I only get to ride for 2-3 hours at best, and I tend to ride casually within the vicinity.

200 km equates to 120 miles in a day or what we call a century plus. Yes, I have done that, back in the day, usually a couple times in the summer when I had the time, because it is an all day affair and it does require some planning and knowing how to pace yourself. Something you work up to, as well, getting in shape to do. These days, though, my average daily ride is right around 30 miles, up to an occasional 60 miles. That's still more than enough to keep me in good bike shape and it also gives more time to enjoy the ride, so to speak, rather than push myself to achieve some predetermined goal.

Reactions: sac001
In theory it's possible to cover 200 Km in one day. If you are riding one way and it's downhill most of the way then it's possible to reach speeds that are way over 60 or even 80 Km/hr. That would make it possible to be at your destination in less than 3 hrs.

I think though if you don't have any "gravity assists" it's highly unlikely that there are many people who'll cover 200 or even 100 km a day.

Since I've recovered from my concussion I've only ridden about 136 km in one day but 200 km would pass by in about 11 hours for a good cyclist. I did them in a little less than that in the past.

These sorts of rides are only for testing yourself. After 130 km it isn't much fun unless you're in impeccable condition.

120 kms or 72 miles is about my absolute limit. That is on a MTB with about 15-20 kilos of luggage on flat or low rolling hills, without a headwind. At the end of the ride I'll be exhausted to the point were I'd have trouble thinking properly. I'm 59 now, but 20-30 years ago, I'd do it easily. Now I aim for 90 kms for a full day or 50 kms if i want to finish around lunch time.

I would ride a whole lot slower on a set-up like that if you get that tired. Also I would think that you are not stopping for short rests now and again. Especially a lunch stop of a half hour or so with carbohydrates.

I do as much now as 80 miles or so and I'm approaching 72. Although I'm tired I'm not exhausted and I can do a full century through hills if I really wanted to do so.

I would ride a whole lot slower on a set-up like that if you get that tired. Also I would think that you are not stopping for short rests now and again. Especially a lunch stop of a half hour or so with carbohydrates.

I do as much now as 80 miles or so and I'm approaching 72. Although I'm tired I'm not exhausted and I can do a full century through hills if I really wanted to do so.

So could I...but I don't really want to!

I should have mentioned that mental confusion was after riding in pre monsoonal heat of around 37 C (99 F) and suffering dehydration. In that sort of heat I'm drinking 6-8 litres of water and stopping every 10 kms (6 miles) or so.

I guess I've done just under 400 miles in 24 hours (2015 Paris Brest Paris) and have done sub 24 hour 600 KM. The talented riders can for more than 800 Km on a flat race course (like Sebring in Florida.....RAAM qualifier).

I'm guessing lots of riders do 100 mile "Century" rides in under 8 hours. Under 5 hours solo for 100 miles is pretty good anything under 4 1/2 hours is pretty special in my book....I need a wheel to follow nowadays to do that.

My best Century (just over 100 miles) was last year on a very flat course, with minimal wind (until last 10 miles or so) at about 5 hours 10 minutes, but I was riding with other fast riders.

My longest ride was about 110 miles, on a not flat course, took over 6 hours a couple years ago.

Note that these all are just the "moving time" not counting rest stops at 20 to 25 mile intervals, usually for about 10 minutes each.

Back many moons ago and about 45 lbs. lighter I did some ultra endurance races 12 & 24 hour events and my best 24 hour total was 327 miles.

I've had a handful of solo sub 5 hour centuries but as stated above back in the day younger and lighter, and no back issues.

Reactions: Weatherby
"How many miles can you cover in one ride?" I don't know, I've never tried to see how many miles I could cover in one ride.

But since I've done a few rides that were in the 120-130 mile range, and none of those rides lasted so long that I couldn't have gone a bit farther if there'd been some reason to, I'm quite certain I could cover more than 130 miles in one ride.

Whether I'd want to cover more than 130 miles in one ride is a completely different question.

There would have to be some pretty serious incentive to get me to even consider such a pointless challenge though.

There is segment of riders that do long distance rides. I became involved with the Randonnneurs a couple of years ago and they organize rides from 100k to 1200k and even a few 1500k rides. While the 1200 and 1500 is certainly not completed in one day, they are still organized as a single ride with time limits. 1200k is 90 hours. Typical completion times for a 200k is 7-10 hours with a 13.5 hr limit. 400k (250 miles) is done as a single ride and the 600k is done as a single ride by some, other riders take a break but there is a 40 hr time limit so you can stop for very long. I did a 600k event and it took me 36 hours, 32 hours moving time and 4 hours not moving. I stopped at a hotel for 2 hours to shower, change kits, swap out batteries for lighting, refill supplies, take a short nap and ride on.

This was a dream of my youth to ride my whole country on a cycle but I can't make this real. Acually I never got the opportunity yet, no time at least a month. Even I got some times I can't make the plan. Whatever I still want to make a full ride and my highest riding record 75 hrs, approximately 340 km

200 klicks is only 124 miles, lots of people have done that in one day including me. I once did 158 miles in one day, a record for me, but I know there's people probably on this forum that have done 200 miles in one day. Now that I'm 63 I won't be doing any 158 mile rides anymore unless I get alzheimer's and forget what I'm doing while riding.

Reactions: zipp2001
Astonishing how many miles people here can ride in a day. Personally my longest rides have been just over 50 miles or 80 km. That was true 30 years ago and just as true recently now that I am over 70 years.