How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment?

Joe West said:
All my other handguns are .45acp, but I just couldn't find a small, lightweight, effective 45.

Joe

Taurus was making a semi-small 45acp (I think it was the PT-145 or something like that, similar style to the PT-111 9mm), but in the end it would still be quite heavy fully loaded, and quite a handful to shoot. I have to agree with the .380 as being a very effective "super concealed" choice of a weapon. Personally though, I'd still shove my full size 1911 in my jersey pocket!!!!
:eek: :D

If someone sticks a gun in your face, how many of you honestly believe that you could get your concealed weapon out fast enough to "blow him away" before he shot you?

I speak from experience, I have been shot at while riding, thankfully they missed. Just a bunch of punk kids who took a pot shot at the guy in spandex. They were in a car, I was on a bike. Even if I would of had a gun on me theres no way I would of been able to get it out and return fire fast enough unless I had it strapped to my handlebars. The best thing you can carry on a ride is a cell phone so you can get a liscence plate and call the police.

The only place I would ever consider it practical to carry a gun is Johanasburg South Africa, murder capitol of the world. When I was living there I heard about 4 cyclists who got in a gun battle with 6 drivers. Several ended up in body bags. They were all prepared but they all lost anyways.

I'm no gun nut, but the .25 I saw was a browning, the thing should never jam.
as for the .22 mag, it is really a mini revolver with the mag version of the .22, a rifle caliber.
but as for your dog encounter, i too have found attitue may be sensed and make is difference in not being bit, they seem to back off without may spraying sometimes. except for the rot snappin my heels at 25 mph.

Weisse Luft said:
Why a .22 or .25 ACP? Why not something substantial, like a .380? The P3AT made by Kel Tec is a high quality recoil operated (NOT blow back) 6+1 capacity DAO. Perfect for cyclist as it is only 10 ounces, LOADED. That is right, a half-full bottle of water weighs more. That is also a full half pound lighter than a S&W Airweight, a comparable revolver on the basis of ballistics but you also get 2 additional rounds with the auto.

I carry one specifically for defense against stray dogs, a problem where I ride. I have only pulled it one time on a dog. The dog sensed it and discontinued his pursuit well before he came within uncomfortable range, that being about 25 yards.

spacefuzz said:
If someone sticks a gun in your face, how many of you honestly believe that you could get your concealed weapon out fast enough to "blow him away" before he shot you?

I speak from experience, I have been shot at while riding, thankfully they missed. Just a bunch of punk kids who took a pot shot at the guy in spandex. They were in a car, I was on a bike. Even if I would of had a gun on me theres no way I would of been able to get it out and return fire fast enough unless I had it strapped to my handlebars. The best thing you can carry on a ride is a cell phone so you can get a liscence plate and call the police.

The only place I would ever consider it practical to carry a gun is Johanasburg South Africa, murder capitol of the world. When I was living there I heard about 4 cyclists who got in a gun battle with 6 drivers. Several ended up in body bags. They were all prepared but they all lost anyways.

While I believe your account someone took a potshot at you, there is no one, even Bill Jordan, that would be able to draw down to prevent such a confrontation. Concealed carry gives one the ability to de-escalate a rising situation where you are facing an armed or otherwise superior opponent.

Weisse Luft said:
While I believe your account someone took a potshot at you, there is no one, even Bill Jordan, that would be able to draw down to prevent such a confrontation. Concealed carry gives one the ability to de-escalate a rising situation where you are facing an armed or otherwise superior opponent.

Drawing a weapon never de-escalates a situation, it just raises the stakes and brings it to a new level. All you can hope is that your opponent doesnt want to take the higher risk and leave.

spacefuzz said:
Drawing a weapon never de-escalates a situation, it just raises the stakes and brings it to a new level. All you can hope is that your opponent doesnt want to take the higher risk and leave.

If the opponent doesn't want to take the risk and leaves, you have de-escalated the situation....

The point in carrying concealed while you ride is *simply* to provide yourself yet another option for defense if the situation warrants it.

Let me ask the anti-gun crowd this question:

You are riding along the road in a relatively quiet neighborhood when a car with 4 20'ish males passes you and yell some offensive comment as they go by. As they pass you, you see them stop ahead.

You turn around and start going back the way you came... they turn around, and this time when they pass you, they come to an abrupt stop so close to you that you can't turn around.

The youths hop out of the car and move towards you on your bike... as they come towards you, you hear them make comments about the "gay guy in spandex".

You see that one of the guys has a tire iron in his hand.

They are now blocking all paths away from them and you are hemmed in.

If you have nothing for defense... what do you do?

Here's what I do:

1. I pull out my pepper spray and immediately spray the guy with the tire iron. I get him and he backs off rubbing his eyes and screaming angrily.

2. This pisses off his buddies, and now my pepper spray can is empty because I used it on Mr. Tire Iron. I'm backing away quickly.

3. ****** off buddies start to rush me.

4. As I'm backing away, I draw on closest buddy, yelling for them to STOP and TURN AROUND.

5a. They stop, apologizing profusely, and run back to their car. My problem is solved. I note their license plate (if I can) and call 911 to report the attack.

5b. They don't stop. I now shoot to stop the attack of the closest buddy. Once closest buddy is stopped, I turn to NEXT closest attacker.

Now dear anti-gun people. What are *your* options? If you don't carry pepper spray (which I'm betting many don't) here are your options:

1. Get the **** beat out of you by three bad guys.
2. When you recover, you purchase pepper spray for your next ride.

If you are one of the *Smart* riders who carry pepper spray, here are your options.

1. Spray the closest bad guy, disabling him.

2a. Armed with your empty spray can still aimed at the remaining bad guys... they back off

2b. Remaining three bad guys are now VERY ****** and they continue to rush you.

3. Get the **** beat out of you by three bad guys.

4. When you recover, if you are lucky enough not to live in a repressive gun hating (insert the following here: Country, State, City, etc), you go out and get trained to carry concealed.

I choose not to EVER allow myself (or my loved ones) to be in a position to get the **** beat out of me (or worse)... so I carry without *needing* to experience an ass-whipping or worse as motivation to carry. I carry because I want to avoid being a victim.

Notes:

Yes, the above scenario is HIGHLY unlikely... BUT it certainly IS within the realm of possibility.

Yes, there are an infinite number of variations on the above theme and I am FORCING you into a position where you must defend yourself to MAKE THE POINT that there ARE circumstances where it is NICE to have the additional option of being able to respond to increased levels of violence (or potential violence) against you or against a loved one.

Now... there are some of you who would say... okay... I'd accept my ass-whipping (in a passive anti-violence kind of way).

To this I'd respond:

Okay... change the scenario and now you are riding your bike with your wife and the bad guys are raping your wife IN FRONT OF YOU.

Do you still respond with your passive anti-violence theology and let them rape her in front of you ? (yes ladies and gentlemen... this kind of **** happens). Do you run away and cry for help as they gang bang her like a drum? Yes? You do?

Okay... for you die-hard anti-violence types who have made it this far, I'll change the scenario again:

Now you are riding with your young daughter and the bad guys want to rape HER. Are you still going to let it happen? Running away crying for someone else to save your daughter? Are you going to depend on the police to *save* you? If you got this far, and STILL you wouldn't like to have the option of a GUN... you absolutely DESERVE whatever you get.

For the rest of you who followed this diatribe... you get the point:

Having the option to defend yourself with a weapon such as a gun is INFINITELY better than NOT having the option.

This is about options ladies and gentlemen... nothing more. It is better to be free than to be controlled.

If I believed in God... I would thank her for being blessed enough to live in the United States of America.

The US ins't perfect... but I believe it to be the best damn place to be one this planet we call Earth.

Signing off so I can go to work...

Joe West

Joe West said:
The point in carrying concealed while you ride is *simply* to provide yourself yet another option for defense if the situation warrants it.

Let me ask the anti-gun crowd this question:

You are riding along the road in a relatively quiet neighborhood when a car with 4 20'ish males passes you and yell some offensive comment as they go by. As they pass you, you see them stop ahead.

You turn around and start going back the way you came... they turn around, and this time when they pass you, they come to an abrupt stop so close to you that you can't turn around.

The youths hop out of the car and move towards you on your bike... as they come towards you, you hear them make comments about the "gay guy in spandex".

You see that one of the guys has a tire iron in his hand.

They are now blocking all paths away from them and you are hemmed in.

If you have nothing for defense... what do you do?

I would use my frame pump and 8 years of martial arts experience, including stick and knife fighting, to beat them all senseless. If you want a weapon thats always there learn martial arts. You always have your hands with you.

Unless campy starts making a carbon fiber pistol, then it might be fashionable to carry a gun on a ride.

I would say... and this is only a guess; that it would take quite a bit of skill to beat 4 guys, one with a tire iron; using Martial Arts. I have a picture in my mind from an old Bruce Lee movie :D

If indeed you really could pull this off; that is AWESOME. I must admit however, in the end, I'd rather spend 16 hours on CCW training than 8 years on Martial Arts :D

JW

spacefuzz said:
I would use my frame pump and 8 years of martial arts experience, including stick and knife fighting, to beat them all senseless. If you want a weapon thats always there learn martial arts. You always have your hands with you.

Unless campy starts making a carbon fiber pistol, then it might be fashionable to carry a gun on a ride.

spacefuzz said:
That is simply untrue. There are frequent situations where law abiding citizens have diffused a situation. However, the media never covers those stories. They get higher ratings for covering all of the negative issues surrounding the use of firearms.

A close friend of mine caught someone burglarizing his home. He held them at gunpoint until the police could arrive. It never even made the local news and CNN sure as hell isn't going to broadcast that sort of thing with their anti-gun stance.

As for your 8 years of martial arts, not everyone has the ability to spend 8 years studying the Hong Kong book of Kong Fu. It just isn't practical. Besides it sounds like wishful thinking until you have actually been in a situation like that. I have actually had my car vandalized right in front of me by 5 teenage punks. Why? Not sure but I think I drove through the wrong neighborhood. Although I probably could have taken 2 of the little ***** to the cleaners, I don't think I could have taken on all 5 of them. I just had to sit in my car and watch them kick in my door until the light turned green. Other drivers saw this happen but nobody was willing to get out of their car and assist.

Joe West said:
You are a sick, sick person. Go pollute some other forum with this BS.

RC2 said:
How is that so heavy handed? What part of that phrase is so out of line? Do you think that a group 20-ish punks is politically correct? I don't know where you live but gangs of punks don't play by the rules unless they are from Beverly Hills or something. Wouldn't that be rich? A Beverly Hills street gang. Word.

I work in secuirity so run the risk of being attacked on a daily basis. I don't carry lethal weapons, though and rely on defence techniques that won't get me into trouble or facing a jail term, or whatever. The best defence is retreat when possible and only resort to violent self-defence when you're backed into a corner and have no other way out. CS gas is also a safer option than a gun.

Carrera said:
I work in secuirity so run the risk of being attacked on a daily basis. I don't carry lethal weapons, though and rely on defence techniques that won't get me into trouble or facing a jail term, or whatever. The best defence is retreat when possible and only resort to violent self-defence when you're backed into a corner and have no other way out. CS gas is also a safer option than a gun.

I don't recall anyone saying that you should pull a gun if someone looks at you the wrong way--all I have read is about people using it when and if backed into a corner. Gun or gas, in the hands of someone untrained either is dangerous.

Doctor Morbius said:
As for your 8 years of martial arts, not everyone has the ability to spend 8 years studying the Hong Kong book of Kong Fu. It just isn't practical. Besides it sounds like wishful thinking until you have actually been in a situation like that. I have actually had my car vandalized right in front of me by 5 teenage punks. Why? Not sure but I think I drove through the wrong neighborhood. Although I probably could have taken 2 of the little ***** to the cleaners, I don't think I could have taken on all 5 of them. I just had to sit in my car and watch them kick in my door until the light turned green. Other drivers saw this happen but nobody was willing to get out of their car and assist.

I have fought multiple opponents and even been threatened by neo nazi gangs with knives. Thankfully I have never had to deal with 4 angry people at once but I know I could handle it, especially if they were spread out. I would run if I could but I know many ways to take out a person quickly and perminantly. I never said I would get out unscathed, Im sure I would be beat to hell, but I would win.

If it makes you feel safer to carry a gun, have fun. I just hope you remember running is better than shooting.

spacefuzz said:
I just hope you remember running is better than shooting.
Can't run. Have a lower back condition. That's why I have to ride. Cycling is my 2nd choice for aerobic exercise ... ok, ok, it's my third but I don't want to scare the girlies away from the forum.

Nobody wants to have to shoot anybody (at least I hope), but as a guy in his mid-40's I can't do the street brawls anymore. Almost got into one last Summer with some guy about my age. All I could think about was what the Judge would think about two middle-aged guys out in the street duking it out ... one in lycra shorts, helmet, cleats and sunglasses the other in a camouflage T-shirt and shorts with a ***** pack. We looked like the 5th and 6th members of the Village People out in the middle of the street ready to throw down. It was pathetic.

Please... tell me you are joking. Do you think that my entire post was centered around a comment about homosexuals? Dude... I was creating an imaginary scene which pointed out where a handgun on a bicycle might be nice to have... did you completely stop reading after you saw the word "gay"?

What in the world are you doing even LOOKING at a post like this? You need to go to www.warmandfuzzyalloverforums.com or www.politicallycorrectpleasedon'tmakemethink.com

JW

RC2 said:

Let's be honest here. You don't carry lethal weapons because you are NOT ALLOWED to carry lethal weapons.

That being said; you are correct, flight is better than fight and CS is better than a gun.

You will notice that my post started with running, followed up with pepper spray, and ended with a firearm. Exactly what you stated below.

JW

Carrera said:

Carrying a gun doesn't make me "feel" anything. It provides me another option to protect myself and my loved ones.

As you will notice in my post... running was indeed the first option. Only fools think that real life is what you see in the movies. Stopping a threat with a handgun is the ultimate last resort and it can and will change your life forever. If you make a judgment mistake; it can ruin your life forever. Not something to take lightly. I hope that I never face such a situation... it is my second WORST nightmare (the first being that I can't protect myself or my family and something bad happens to them because I'm not prepared).

JW

spacefuzz said:
If it makes you feel safer to carry a gun, have fun. I just hope you remember running is better than shooting.

For those who said people aren't interested or this is off-topic... I suggest that Eleven Thousand views of this topic place it in the
"On topic and interesting" category.

JW