How Old Is Too Old To Ride?

Nasgul

Mar 31, 2007
K, been road biking since 1992 but stopped in 1997 because I moved to some area where there are no bike trails and then started again in 2003-04 but didn't do nowhere near 100 miles.

So, after marriage and a kid, I definitely didn't have any desire to go back but it's in my blood, for some odd reason I just got to go back, this is the only sport I watch and practice.

Anyhow, I'm 35 now but will be 36 in July, except I don't look this age and don't feel this age. Oh yeah! I need to loose 20lbs at least, which it's going to be easy.

About two days ago, I purchased a GIANT TCR 0 with Dura Ace 9 speed brand new, because it's exactly what I wanted, I don't like the 10speed for some reason and it was within my budget range, $1125.

My previous bikes have been:
1-Performance Focus 1992 model, all Ultregra 8spd.
2-Litespeed Tuscany, all DA 9speed, built from frame up
3-Motobecane, all DA 9speed. pre-built

BTW, anyone sees/feels a difference between steel, alunium and carbon fiber? I've never had one and this is going to be my first carbon fiber.

It's never too old to do anything you love doing. I started road biking when I was in my late 40s and I'm now 63... do I plan on stopping? Nope. Get the bikes you want and ride, you won't be back through here again. Now is the time.

I have a mate who started cycling (not back cycling... had his first bike ride) about 18 months ago, started with a $250 MTB and worked his way up through a tiragra level roadie then a carbon ultegra to a full DA Six13 and had his first race a few weeks ago... he turns 50 this week. He's training to compete in the Sydney Masters Games in 2009.

There were 3 80 year olds who did the Enduro around lake Taupo, which from memory is 500km.

You'll look ten years younger if you ride as well.

I'm 34 going on 35 and I took up racing just last year. You are young yet. Cycling is something you can do until you no longer have enough balance to stay upright - then you switch to a trike....

KevinKnievel said:
Never too old.

I'm 41, and when I get on my bike, I feel 7 again.
Ditto to that. I'm 39 and whenever I go on a leisurely ride around the suburbs I can be seen jumping up and down gutters, ripping down dirt paths, bunny hopping traffic islands, small pets, pedestrians :p.
Seriously though, it makes me feel 30 years younger. I'm glad to have gotten back into it after so many years away.

Maybe when we leave this earth - but then there might be a big road or trail in the sky for all eternity, or we might come back as a pro cyclists.

There's an elderly couple in my neighborhood that ride up my street nearly every day on their old red Nishiki's. The only times I don't see them is during the deep winter or most rainy days, but they sometimes ride in light rain. Tough ol' coots! They must be in their 70's, perhaps low 80's, and they probably get more miles per year than most peeps on this site.

On days when I just don't want to ride and I look out and see them going by, I feel pretty pathetic!

Too old to ride???? Bah! I think if anything some folks are too *young* to ride! These whippersnappers just don't have the experience and common sense to appreciate what a beautiful thing a 24mph rotating paceline is, or how it's Not About The Bike, or safety and cooperation can be as challenging and rewarding as competition and going balls-out.

Okay, end of Old Fart® rant... :)

I didn't take up "serious" cycling until I was 45; but I expect to be doing this until I'm dead. There's a guy in our cycle club who's gotta be in his early 70's and he can *dust* anyone going uphill

Nasgul said:
K, been road biking since 1992 but stopped in 1997 because I moved to some area where there are no bike trails and then started again in 2003-04 but didn't do nowhere near 100 miles.

So, after marriage and a kid, I definitely didn't have any desire to go back but it's in my blood, for some odd reason I just got to go back, this is the only sport I watch and practice.

Anyhow, I'm 35 now but will be 36 in July, except I don't look this age and don't feel this age. Oh yeah! I need to loose 20lbs at least, which it's going to be easy.

About two days ago, I purchased a GIANT TCR 0 with Dura Ace 9 speed brand new, because it's exactly what I wanted, I don't like the 10speed for some reason and it was within my budget range, $1125.

My previous bikes have been:
1-Performance Focus 1992 model, all Ultregra 8spd.
2-Litespeed Tuscany, all DA 9speed, built from frame up
3-Motobecane, all DA 9speed. pre-built

BTW, anyone sees/feels a difference between steel, alunium and carbon fiber? I've never had one and this is going to be my first carbon fiber.
35.:p

So for the next 100 years you need to remember to keep telling people your are 35. Your birthday is in July, and that is when you will stop riding.

Beach drive on the weekend is a good ride. It is closed Sat am to Sun Pm to cars. If the wife and child do not ride take them with you and have lunch in one of the several parks. It is a great Sat activity.

How old is too old? If your legs get tired rest. If they ache,get a massage. If they fall off.....coast.

i went car-free at age 45. i commute, run errands, play-ride w/ my daughter, do organized rides, and at least one annual 'epic'.

there's a guy in ohio who is a founding member of his local club, and still rides...although now just as stoker on a tandem; he turns 101 this year.

so...you think 36 is too old?

Why you young whippersnappers! Old at thirty five? I have socks and underwear older than that! I will be 67 next Tuesday, and I'm still young. I routinely do 50 mile rides, and plan on doing a couple of centuries before summer is over. Damn wimpy kids! Snort!!:)

I won my first race yesterday, the day before my 46th birthday. So you can still mix it with the other riders no probs. (I'm in red)

Local guy around my town has a Specialized Roubaix, 2 yrs old (almost) with over 8,000 miles on it, it was in the shop last week getting new tires. The old set had almost 4000 on them, hes 78, in the winter, wears ski goggles and his ski helmut. Hes also on the pro patrol at ski resort, since 1962.

waldowales said:
Why you young whippersnappers! Old at thirty five? I have socks and underwear older than that! I will be 67 next Tuesday, and I'm still young. I routinely do 50 mile rides, and plan on doing a couple of centuries before summer is over. Damn wimpy kids! Snort!!:)
If you know what's good for ya...punks!! >>
whoopass.jpg

:D

scotty72 said:
You're too old when you're dead!
ditto...

I've four sons, two grand kids and 6 bikes, I usually ride 300-400klms a week, road, off road, track and shopping...

When I don't ride anymore I know I'll be dead.

Humans cannot sustain a dependance on cars and expect to be healthy and live in a sustainable environment so please, spread the word, ask everyone you know to find at least one journey in their week they could do by bike! (anon)