Too Old For Carbon! Too Young To Die! Any Steel Bikes Left?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by ffs1942, Sep 16, 2006.

1. ::dom::

::dom:: New Member

How about a Steel/CF mix? I've just finished building this ---> Jamis Eclipse (eBay frame), Reynolds 853 steel with carbon fork and stays.... the best of both worlds. Great ride :)

[​IMG]

2. GiantOcr1rider

GiantOcr1rider New Member

I wouldn't mind a steel bike one day. Here in Aussieland there arn't many about and what does pop up isn't cheap and/or has a crap spec. There are a few custom builders here . Baum being one but their bottom of the line steel frame, carbon fork with headset is like two and a half grand !!

3. ovalbackmarker

ovalbackmarker New Member

I ride steel,carbon, and aluminum road bikes. While I am far from a pro racer, I do ride about 4000 miles a year. At my level, the only difference I notice between the bikes is road feel and very slight differences in climbing. I usually ride my Specialized Alez carbon bike around town because it seems to absorb bumps better. I ride my aluminum frame bike to work, but I really like this frame the least. On weekends when we go for long road rides, I always grab my Colnago Super that I bought new in 1982. This steel bike just rides superb on long road rides. I guess what I am saying is pick what suits you.

4. meehs

meehs New Member

It's tough to find a good steel bike at the lower price points. I think Jamis still offers a few. I agree with what DiabloScott said. You put in the miles. Treat yourself to a nice steel bike. I recommend a Rivendell but I'm completely biased.

5. fauxpas

fauxpas New Member

6. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

There are a few nice old steel frames available on the secondhand/used market from time to time.

If you know what you're looking for and pick carefully you can build yourself up quite a nice bike for not very much (especially if you source your stuff from somewhere like probikekit).

Which is exactly what I'm in the process of doing.

7. Unbelievably

Unbelievably New Member

I think that blows his price range out of the water...;)

I'd suggest looking into a frame with a compact geometry.
    Don't mistake adjectives like "comfort" or "relaxed" for "cushy" and "slow".
    My new c/f compact frame exceeded my expectations.

You might want to up you budget a little.
    It would bring you to a level of greater options...;)
    Try looking into a "grey market" frame set.

8. wolfix

wolfix New Member

E-Bay ..... There are some great steel vintage bikes in your price range. Raleigh Super Course from the 70's comes to mind..... I rode one on the first RAGBRAI they had. Of course it was called something else then. I rode a 531 steel bike on the third RAGBRAI and am still riding it.
    I agree with alum/carbon.

9. rifraf

rifraf New Member

What about secondhand? I just picked myself up a Carlton Kermesse which has a Reynolds 531 butted frame and forks for $100NZ. It needs restoration but I'm over the moon as a Carlton was way out of my price range when you could buy new. I see plenty of pedigree iron rigs on my local online auction. Spoilt for choice in some ways.

10. dougadam

dougadam Member

I am 46 years old, and the main reason I ride is for the work out. Heavy bikes = better work out.

11. DM4

DM4 New Member

I like steel frames. DeRosa still offers two steel frames, the Neo Primato, that uses lugged construction, and the Corum, that employs a TIG welding technique.

I just ordered a new Corum, built with '07 Campy Record components. I have a steel Derosa with C-Record that was purchased in '88 and a steel DeRosa track bike.

Steel is the true frame material. Carbon fiber frames are akin to digital audio; higher profit, marketing-driven techonology. Those looking for ultimate performance ride steel frames and listen to analog audio.

12. seriouslysilly

seriouslysilly New Member

I currently have two Jamis bikes.
    The coda sport hybrid and quest road bike.
    both are very comfortable steel frames.

Lots of praises in the forums regarding jamis bikes

13. kaikane

kaikane New Member

I'm 47, still riding steel, and am lusting after a LeMond Sarthe...

14. Keoki8mc

Keoki8mc New Member

I have my fathers old Raleigh bobby bike that was great when I was a kid. I'm not sure if I should get it restored or sell it to someone that would enjoy it more than.