How was the Commute today?

MikeEagle12

Jul 18, 2006
I thought it would be interesting to have a thread where commuters might post the results of their daily commute

As for me, I’m not quite a daily commuter, but when I have time I’m all for it. Sometimes I wake up, and just decide today will be a commute day, something that I wish I could do more of. (early morning meetings/classes don’t help lol). Before I head out for my commute I usually run around trying to get dressed, pack my clothes, grab my helmet, gloves, lock, chain, and books (for college) and head out. Lately it's been a bit windy and cool, this morning was no exception. I started in a real easy gear, to warm my legs up and then quickly arrive at a nice hill. By the end of the hill I’m a little tired but pumped and am awake enough to really get into a nice spin, and keep myself focused. I make a left, and head to the first stop light, as I get passed by a few cars along the way. This is always an indication of how the drivers are going to respond to me during my ride, and today they are actually pulling over a bit and making room First light, and I make my right hand turn, it will be three more lights until I have to turn again, so I get into a nice cadence and check out the secenry. My commute takes me by one one of the parks which is always a pleasant view.

Today I noticed some tents and booths being set up, some short of concert is prbbably going on, I believe. I pass by the park, and hit a few more lights, nothing really spectacular to speak of on this leg, except I get to pass by the noisy Macarren International Airport. Soon after I make a left, and ride another mile until I take a right, then a quick ride through a neighborhood, and I arive at UNLV, one thing I always do (guess I'm a show off) is ride through campus with no hands It is a six and a half mile ride, nothing much but it is always fun to do. Most of the time, like this morning is uneventful, and so I get a little time to relax while on my bike.

I'm a regular commuter (regular enough to have a specific 'commuting bike' with fenders, bags, etc.) and have a variety of routes to take from 11km all the way up to 60km (Friday afternoon ride ;) ) each way..depending on how much time I have, and how energetic I'm feeling, there's always one to match.

The routes, epecially the longer ones, spend a lot of time on dedicated cycling routes that run parallel to either a freeway or river, and surrounded by parklands most of the way. All fairly flat and well shielded from winds. The longer the route, the more time on the cycling network and less on the city streets. (I've never had any real trouble with traffic when riding, but I figure that reducing exposure to risk where possible is the best strategy when thinking long-term.)

The paths and routes are familiar and seem unremarkable to me now, but they tend to be a bit foreign and out-of-this world for car or train commuters. My usual morning commute route passes through a children's farm which is a part of some inner-city parkland. When you go through it dozens of times each month you think nothing of it. But at a meeting at work I mentioned some new idea I thought of that morning, introducing it along the lines of, "I was watching the cows and horses this morning, and thought of this ..." That got a few puzzled looks in the "what drugs are you on" sense :p

To start with...I only work 4-10 hour shifts for the week (Mon-Thurs). Anyway...my normal commute is 5.5 miles. I live on top of a hill, so going to work, I get to start the ride "easy" going downhill. Once I get to the bottom of the hill, its about a 1/2 mile ride (due North) to an uphill, right hand turn. Then it is about 2 miles straight...almost flat, but slightly downhill (due East). A little jog to the left, 'till I get to the entrance for the Frontage Road to the Interstate, and "Leave Town". Then its about a 2 mile of slightly down hill uninterupted (except a car or 2 that normally pull all the way over to the other side of the road...nomally the same cars everyday) untill I get about 150' our from my left hand turn...then it turns to a uphill grade. Make the left hand turn...cross the Interstate...and I'm to work. I can normally do this ride in under 18 min. So far my best time is...16min 34?sec. I had an average speed of 19.8 mph. For 5.5 miles...I don't think thats to bad!?!

Now...for the ride home...remmember, everything was downhill to work...Yep, all uphill now. Get to the Frontage Road...ride the 2 miles with the slight uphill grade, then there is a little kick up (I'd say about 50') worth of climbing...I dunno why, but this LITTLE hill kicks my butt everytime!!! I've tried "sprinting" down the frontage road...tried taking it super easy...I dunno...just kicks my butt for the first climb. Well...get around back to the "Enterance to the City"...and instead of taking the Busy roads...I ride one block South and East...depending on the street. Its all perty good...untill...Remember my hill top home??? Yep, Its a 1/2 mile @ 8% Average grade!!! NICE LITTLE CLIMB...to end the day!!! Overall it takes me about 40-45 min ROUND TRIP...at an average speed of about 15.5 MPH +/- depending on my actuall ride time. Also, for the afternoon commute...I normally have to deal with some wind...never tail wind though...ALWAYS from the side...or head on!!!

Well...thats my ride...I've only had one "exciting" ride so far. The spokes on my rear wheel started to break, had to walk it for 3.5 MILES!!!...but thats another story...

I just started commuting this week. I also work 4-10 hour days, Sun-Wed 4am-2:30pm. I have only commuted for three days because I didn't get any sleep one night and didn't want to have the 11 mile ride home. Since it's 2:30am when I leave home, it's always really nice and cool, usually about ~70degF. I haven't had any real problems yet, but since I ride state highways, I figure my time is coming. For the ride home, it's the hottest part of the day with highs in the low to mid 90s. The temperature and heat from the roads tend to slow me down a bit. I guess my average speed is somewhere around 12mph.

I've been commuting pretty regularly. I usually only end up driving once every two weeks (paydays).

I only ride about 5 miles (one way), so it's short and sweet and only 10 miles a day for the commute. The only hassle is dealing with the 5 o'clock traffic, but it's bearable. Especially when you start considering that I fill up my Jeep only once a month at most, usually less than that, when I used to fill it up every week and a half.

It's amazing how much gas you can save by riding your bike to do most things.

My commute starts early as my job starts a 0545 (on dayshift, 1745 on nights), so I start out at 0410 to allow for headwinds etc. It's 35k from home to work and when conditions are favourable it takes 70 minutes to work and 80 minutes home again (Home is 200m higher than work, plus I'm a little flat after a 12 hour shift at times.)
I also have a specific commuter bike (my 'main' bike), which is a flatbar hybrid with touring rims and a road drivetrain. Also a rack, fenders, handlebar bag and a hub dynamo powered LED lighting system.
My ride goes from the town I live in to just the other side of the second town to the south, mostly through farmland on a main highway. The only time I deviate from this route is in spring when the magpies in one particular location are busy protecting their young - by attacking passing cyclists.
Traffic is quite light on the early morning rides, and moderate to heavy at night. Thankfully most vehicle drivers give me plenty of room. I have an MP3 player I listen too most of the time.

I take the same route to work each time I commute. The club riders I sometimes go with think I'm crazy for wearing fenders on my bike; they obviously don't quite get the concept of bicycle commuting. Anyway, near my house, the state highway is under construction with no real shoulders, so it's not bike-friendly. Once I get past that I take a right turn on a street that stays the same street for about 7 miles. Straight, straight... but there are practically no shoulders, or they are occupied by storm drains and such. Rush hour traffic is a bit difficult, and there is one particular hill that just rises forever and I used to take a breather and drink break. I've worked up a fitness level where I no longer have to, and drink on the way down. I lock my bike in Wakefield (Massachusetts) Square, and catch the bus to Boston. Today my rear wheel was thumping because I hit a pothole and flatted a few days ago, I'll get that fixed at REI on the way back today (thank you REI for being open until 9 PM! You rock!)

I frequently stop at two different libraries along this route to drop off and pick up materials. I usually try to limit it to once a week so that returns/pickups are made on the same days of the week (Wednesdays now). Libraries rock, and you can listen to practically any music album if you request it from the library. That is, if you're lucky enough to live in an area where they will deliver materials from other libraries to your home library.

So for any locals who are curious, if you happen through Wakefield Square during weekdays, look for a bike locked and parked right at the main intersection by the traffic light. That's me! :)

It was damn hot today. I don't think the temperature peaked that high, but for some reason, the heat was stifling. Or maybe it just felt that way because I had just worked a 14 hour shift. I used all of my water about 2/3 the way thru the ride. I was lucky enough to meet a guy name Kyle Whiting who was out cutting his lawn and he let me refill my water bottle at his faucet. I like meeting nice people.