I am Confused - Can Riders Be Replaced?

Frank Drackman

Guest
I am completely confused about replacing riders. In one article I read that
riders being pulled by their teams can not be replaced but in another
article I read that T Mobile was using Lorenzo Bernucci and Stephan Schreck
in place of Jan Ullrich & Oscar Sevilla. Does anyone know the facts?

T Mobiles statement was made before the team directors decided not to
replace riders. The bottom line is that teams will be short people right
from the start.
"Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am completely confused about replacing riders. In one article I read
>that riders being pulled by their teams can not be replaced but in another
>article I read that T Mobile was using Lorenzo Bernucci and Stephan Schreck
>in place of Jan Ullrich & Oscar Sevilla. Does anyone know the facts?

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:56:13 -0700, "Frank Drackman"
<[email protected]> a écrit :

>I am completely confused about replacing riders. In one article I read that
>riders being pulled by their teams can not be replaced but in another
>article I read that T Mobile was using Lorenzo Bernucci and Stephan Schreck
>in place of Jan Ullrich & Oscar Sevilla. Does anyone know the facts?

Riders can normally be replaced anytime up to a reasonable time before
a race starts at the team's discretion

But if a rider is booted out for rule infraction, no replacement can
be made

Interestingly, as it turns out, ASO do not need to buck the CAS
decision on Vino's squad; Nine minus five == four and UCI rules demand
at least six riders on a GT starting squad

>T Mobiles statement was made before the team directors decided not to
>replace riders. The bottom line is that teams will be short people right
>from the start.

Which makes me wonder if this wasn't a quiet, strategic attempt to eliminate
the Wurth team, which appears to be the worst of the worst. This would put
them in good standing with the ASO, not to mention get rid of one of the
most-volatile members of the peloton (Vino).

Or not. It's difficult to understand why teams wouldn't replace one or two
riders, given that they'd normally have at least one alternate standing in
the wings. Riding with a partial team certainly takes something away from
the effort.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

news:[email protected]...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

> I assume that they can pull from their current roster to fill out the
> Tour team, but some are running out of roster. Seems that would put
> them in technical violation of the ProTour requirements.

Chung's favourite team are becoming favourites to win the team competition.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am completely confused about replacing riders. In one article I read that
>riders being pulled by their teams can not be replaced but in another
>article I read that T Mobile was using Lorenzo Bernucci and Stephan Schreck
>in place of Jan Ullrich & Oscar Sevilla. Does anyone know the facts?

I assume that they can pull from their current roster to fill out the
Tour team, but some are running out of roster. Seems that would put
them in technical violation of the ProTour requirements.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Donald Munro wrote:
> Curtis L. Russell wrote:
>
>> I assume that they can pull from their current roster to fill out the
>> Tour team, but some are running out of roster. Seems that would put
>> them in technical violation of the ProTour requirements.

> Chung's favourite team are becoming favourites to win the team
> competition.

I have faith that even if they're the only complete team they'll figure
out a way not to win.

The teams would LIKE to replace the riders who are banned. However,
they are being held responsible for not keeping better tabs on their
roster of riders. If some of the teams even tacitly condoned the
doping, they are now being punished. Certainly, it is less Draconian
than other remedies.

The teams will find a way to work around the missing rider,
without too much dislocation, or injury to prospects for success.