The most frequently confused words I see in bicycling forums

  • Thread starter Colorado Bicycler
  • Start date



M

Mike Kruger

Guest
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> In the traffic reports, roads are not blocked, "roadways" are blocked.
> We don't have rain but "rainstorms", we don't ride bicycle by pushing
> on cranks, we use "crankarms", cars don't crash into the median but do
> so into "the center divide." Who comes up with this jargon?
>

Good question. I'd guess there are several factors contributing, two of
which are:

1. Consultant-ese. A consultant can't improve your accounting. They have to
improve your "accounting process". We don't have files anymore, we have
"database structures". Businesses will pay more for jargon. I used to write
specs. Now I write "technical requirements". I don't talk to programmers
anymore; I go to "Joint Application Design" meetings or "Tollgate Review
Processes". These meetings aren't moderated (or refereed!). They are
"facilitated".

2. Fear of dead air. Media people have to fill a certain time slot, and
it's a lot easier to fill it up with circumlocations than actual reporting.
We get used to listening to them, and unconsciously adopt some of their
habits.
 
B

Brian Sanderson

Guest
> I'd say more like confused. Nit is a synonym of head-louse, and
> nit-pickers have nothing to do with knitwear.
> --

Well, excuuussse me! I thought confusion was the POINT of this thread! :)
 
Z

Zoot Katz

Guest
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 01:42:28 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>
>> hope's--Hope's main benefit is that it makes the future brighter.


Hope's Faith's and Charity's sister.

I've passed commenting on past when people meant the former.
--
zk
 
R

Roger Houston

Guest
"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 01:42:28 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>>
>>> hope's--Hope's main benefit is that it makes the future brighter.

>
> Hope's Faith's and Charity's sister.
>
> I've passed commenting on past when people meant the former.


At my age, all I can pass is stones.
 
R

Roger Houston

Guest
"Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>>

> Good question. I'd guess there are several factors contributing, two of
> which are:
>
> 1. Consultant-ese. A consultant can't improve your accounting.


A consultant is someone who steals your watch and then charges you $900 per
hour to tell you what time it is.
 
C

Colorado Bicycler

Guest
>My my, so witty, I bet your friends think you're quite the wag.

I was sort of curious to see just how long it might take for this "just
for fun" thread to go negative.

Seems like we made it at this post.
 
T

The Wogster

Guest
Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:
> Derailler - A device used to mace a (usually) runaway train to jump it's
> tracks
>
> Derailleur - A french word for a device used to shift a (usually)
> bicycle chain from one cog/sprocket to another.
>
> - -

Actually derailleur is an English word, the French word is dérailleur,
you will notice there is a difference.

W
 
T

The Wogster

Guest
Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:
> Derailler - A device used to mace a (usually) runaway train to jump it's
> tracks
>
> Derailleur - A french word for a device used to shift a (usually)
> bicycle chain from one cog/sprocket to another.
>
> - -

Actually derailleur is an English word, the French word is dérailleur,
you will notice there is a difference.

W
 
L

Leo Lichtman

Guest
"Zoot Katz" wrote: Hope's Faith's and Charity's sister.
>
> I've passed commenting on past when people meant the former.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bravo, Zoot.
 
Z

Zoot Katz

Guest
On 10 Dec 2005 20:12:14 -0800, "Colorado Bicycler" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>My my, so witty, I bet your friends think you're quite the wag.

>
>I was sort of curious to see just how long it might take for this "just
>for fun" thread to go negative.
>
>Seems like we made it at this post.


Yew wood bee won too say sew.
--
zk
 
Z

Zoot Katz

Guest
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 06:44:31 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
>"Zoot Katz" wrote: Hope's Faith's and Charity's sister.
>>
>> I've passed commenting on past when people meant the former.

>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Bravo, Zoot.
>


Hope's, Faith's and Charity's sister, Shirley?
--
zk
 
M

Marz

Guest
Colorado Bicycler wrote:
> >My my, so witty, I bet your friends think you're quite the wag.

>
> I was sort of curious to see just how long it might take for this "just
> for fun" thread to go negative.
>
> Seems like we made it at this post.


The thread was negative to begin with. If you need to deride other
peoples' lack of correct English language skills to exact some fun,
then you are a very sad (miserable) individual.

Do you consider people unable to fathom calculus funny too?

Laters,

Marz
 
C

Colorado Bicycler

Guest
>The thread was negative to begin with. If you need to deride other
>peoples' lack of correct English language skills to exact some fun,
>then you are a very sad (miserable) individual.


>Do you consider people unable to fathom calculus funny too?



>Laters,



>Marz



Hay, thet is grate advise! Your so write!
 
C

Colorado Bicycler

Guest
Ooops. Maid a misteak. Shood bee:

Hay, thet is grate advise! Your SEW write!
 
A

Alex Potter

Guest
Colorado Bicycler wrote on Sunday 11 December 2005 13:07:


> Your SEW write!

yaw sow rite :)
--
Regards
Alex
The From address above is a spam-trap.
The Reply-To address is valid
 
C

Colorado Bicycler

Guest
"Do you consider people unable to fathom calculus funny too?"

Hay, I jest installud a "calculus checkur" on my email client. Wurks
grate. Almust as grate as my grammer and spilling checkur.
 
M

Marz

Guest
Colorado Bicycler wrote:
> >The thread was negative to begin with. If you need to deride other
> >peoples' lack of correct English language skills to exact some fun,
> >then you are a very sad (miserable) individual.

>
> >Do you consider people unable to fathom calculus funny too?

>
>
> >Laters,

>
>
> >Marz

>
>
> Hay, thet is grate advise! Your so write!


I know. Thanks.

Laters,

Marz
 
C

Colorado Bicycler

Guest
"you are a very sad (miserable) individual. "

Yes! I no. Pleeze safe mi sole!
 
M

Marz

Guest
Colorado Bicycler wrote:
> "you are a very sad (miserable) individual. "
>
> Yes! I no. Pleeze safe mi sole!


You have one worth saving?
 

Similar threads