The most frequently confused words I see in bicycling forums

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Colorado Bicycler, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > In the traffic reports, roads are not blocked, "roadways" are blocked.
    > We don't have rain but "rainstorms", we don't ride bicycle by pushing
    > on cranks, we use "crankarms", cars don't crash into the median but do
    > so into "the center divide." Who comes up with this jargon?

    Good question. I'd guess there are several factors contributing, two of
    which are:

    1. Consultant-ese. A consultant can't improve your accounting. They have to
    improve your "accounting process". We don't have files anymore, we have
    "database structures". Businesses will pay more for jargon. I used to write
    specs. Now I write "technical requirements". I don't talk to programmers
    anymore; I go to "Joint Application Design" meetings or "Tollgate Review
    Processes". These meetings aren't moderated (or refereed!). They are
    "facilitated".

    2. Fear of dead air. Media people have to fill a certain time slot, and
    it's a lot easier to fill it up with circumlocations than actual reporting.
    We get used to listening to them, and unconsciously adopt some of their
    habits.

  2. > I'd say more like confused. Nit is a synonym of head-louse, and
    > nit-pickers have nothing to do with knitwear.
    > --

    Well, excuuussse me! I thought confusion was the POINT of this thread! :)

  3. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 01:42:28 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> hope's--Hope's main benefit is that it makes the future brighter.

    Hope's Faith's and Charity's sister.

    I've passed commenting on past when people meant the former.
    --
    zk

  4. "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 01:42:28 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>> hope's--Hope's main benefit is that it makes the future brighter.

    > Hope's Faith's and Charity's sister.
    >
    > I've passed commenting on past when people meant the former.

    At my age, all I can pass is stones.

  5. "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Good question. I'd guess there are several factors contributing, two of
    > which are:
    >
    > 1. Consultant-ese. A consultant can't improve your accounting.

    A consultant is someone who steals your watch and then charges you $900 per
    hour to tell you what time it is.

  6. >My my, so witty, I bet your friends think you're quite the wag.

    I was sort of curious to see just how long it might take for this "just
    for fun" thread to go negative.

    Seems like we made it at this post.

  7. The Wogster

    The Wogster Guest

    Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:
    > Derailler - A device used to mace a (usually) runaway train to jump it's
    > tracks
    >
    > Derailleur - A french word for a device used to shift a (usually)
    > bicycle chain from one cog/sprocket to another.
    >
    > - -

    Actually derailleur is an English word, the French word is dérailleur,
    you will notice there is a difference.

  8. The Wogster

    The Wogster Guest

    Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:
    > Derailler - A device used to mace a (usually) runaway train to jump it's
    > tracks
    >
    > Derailleur - A french word for a device used to shift a (usually)
    > bicycle chain from one cog/sprocket to another.
    >
    > - -

    Actually derailleur is an English word, the French word is dérailleur,
    you will notice there is a difference.

  9. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Zoot Katz" wrote: Hope's Faith's and Charity's sister.

    > I've passed commenting on past when people meant the former.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Bravo, Zoot.

  10. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On 10 Dec 2005 20:12:14 -0800, "Colorado Bicycler" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >>My my, so witty, I bet your friends think you're quite the wag.

    >I was sort of curious to see just how long it might take for this "just
    >for fun" thread to go negative.
    >
    >Seems like we made it at this post.

    Yew wood bee won too say sew.
    --
    zk

  11. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 06:44:31 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Zoot Katz" wrote: Hope's Faith's and Charity's sister.
    >>
    >> I've passed commenting on past when people meant the former.

    >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >Bravo, Zoot.

    Hope's, Faith's and Charity's sister, Shirley?
    --
    zk

  12. Marz

    Marz Guest

    Colorado Bicycler wrote:
    > >My my, so witty, I bet your friends think you're quite the wag.

    > I was sort of curious to see just how long it might take for this "just
    > for fun" thread to go negative.
    >
    > Seems like we made it at this post.

    The thread was negative to begin with. If you need to deride other
    peoples' lack of correct English language skills to exact some fun,
    then you are a very sad (miserable) individual.

    Do you consider people unable to fathom calculus funny too?

    Laters,

    Marz

  13. >The thread was negative to begin with. If you need to deride other
    >peoples' lack of correct English language skills to exact some fun,
    >then you are a very sad (miserable) individual.

    >Do you consider people unable to fathom calculus funny too?

    >Laters,

    >Marz

    Hay, thet is grate advise! Your so write!

  14. Ooops. Maid a misteak. Shood bee:

    Hay, thet is grate advise! Your SEW write!

  15. Alex Potter

    Alex Potter Guest

    Colorado Bicycler wrote on Sunday 11 December 2005 13:07:

    > Your SEW write!

    yaw sow rite :)
    --
    Regards
    Alex

  16. "Do you consider people unable to fathom calculus funny too?"

    Hay, I jest installud a "calculus checkur" on my email client. Wurks
    grate. Almust as grate as my grammer and spilling checkur.

  17. Marz

    Marz Guest

    Colorado Bicycler wrote:
    > >The thread was negative to begin with. If you need to deride other
    > >peoples' lack of correct English language skills to exact some fun,
    > >then you are a very sad (miserable) individual.

    > >Do you consider people unable to fathom calculus funny too?

    > >Laters,

    > >Marz

    > Hay, thet is grate advise! Your so write!

    I know. Thanks.

    Laters,

    Marz

  18. "you are a very sad (miserable) individual. "

    Yes! I no. Pleeze safe mi sole!

  19. Marz

    Marz Guest

    Colorado Bicycler wrote:
    > "you are a very sad (miserable) individual. "
    >
    > Yes! I no. Pleeze safe mi sole!

    You have one worth saving?