The most frequently confused words I see in bicycling forums

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Colorado Bicycler, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Just for fun.

    The most frequently confused words I see in bicycling forums:

    lose - loose - loss

    "I want to loose some weight."

    advice - advise

    "Please give me some advise on bicycling"

    a lot - alot

    "There were alot of bicyclers there."

    there - their - they're

    "There bikes were their because there always sure to lock they're
    bikes."

    You're - your

    "Your the best bicylist I now."

    Know - now (see above).

    Anyone else with some favorites?

    Tags:

  2. zulutime

    zulutime Guest

    Colorado Bicycler wrote:
    > Just for fun.
    >
    > The most frequently confused words I see in bicycling forums:
    >
    > lose - loose - loss
    >
    > "I want to loose some weight."
    >
    > advice - advise
    >
    > "Please give me some advise on bicycling"
    >
    > a lot - alot
    >
    > "There were alot of bicyclers there."
    >
    > there - their - they're
    >
    > "There bikes were their because there always sure to lock they're
    > bikes."
    >
    > You're - your
    >
    > "Your the best bicylist I now."
    >
    > Know - now (see above).
    >
    > Anyone else with some favorites?

    Could of, should of...hilarious.

  3. You forgot 'web sight'.

  4. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    On 9 Dec 2005 18:53:18 -0800, "Colorado Bicycler" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Just for fun.
    >
    >The most frequently confused words I see in bicycling forums:
    >
    >Anyone else with some favorites?

    OB bikes:
    brake - break
    e.g., the breaks on my bike aren't working.
    (That should be a good thing, right?)

    Pat
    Email address works as is.

  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Colorado Bicycler wrote:

    > The most frequently confused words I see in bicycling forums:
    >
    > lose - loose - loss
    >
    > "I want to loose some weight."
    >
    > Anyone else with some favorites?

    genius - moron

    "Rich is a moron"

    Rich

  6. > The most frequently confused words I see in bicycling forums:

    C'mon guys, you've missed the most obvious one of all:

    pedal - peddle

    You can pedal your bike or you can peddle it. But it's probably wise
    to know which of the two you are doing at any particular time, as the
    mental processes involved are quite different . . .

  7. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Colorado Bicycler wrote:

    >> Anyone else with some favorites?

    > genius - moron
    >
    > "Rich is a moron"

    Sarcams?

    <eg> <eg>

  8. "Colorado Bicycler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just for fun.
    >
    > The most frequently confused words I see in bicycling forums:
    >
    > lose - loose - loss
    >
    > "I want to loose some weight."
    >
    > advice - advise
    >
    > "Please give me some advise on bicycling"
    >
    > a lot - alot
    >
    > "There were alot of bicyclers there."
    >
    > there - their - they're
    >
    > "There bikes were their because there always sure to lock they're
    > bikes."
    >
    > You're - your
    >
    > "Your the best bicylist I now."
    >
    > Know - now (see above).
    >
    > Anyone else with some favorites?

    You see rode and road interchanged.

  9. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "Colorado Bicycler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just for fun.
    >
    > The most frequently confused words I see in bicycling forums:
    >
    > lose - loose - loss
    >
    > "I want to loose some weight."
    >
    > advice - advise
    >
    > "Please give me some advise on bicycling"
    >
    > a lot - alot
    >
    > "There were alot of bicyclers there."
    >
    > there - their - they're
    >
    > "There bikes were their because there always sure to lock they're
    > bikes."
    >
    > You're - your
    >
    > "Your the best bicylist I now."
    >
    > Know - now (see above).
    >
    > Anyone else with some favorites?

    Nice post 'cos you hit all the ones that have me itching ( hitching!) to
    respond to and correct.!!!!!!!!!!--

    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.
    Remove PSANTISPAM to reply
    www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

  10. than and then

    ==========================

    Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
    waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht
    the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.

    The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef,
    but the wrod as a wlohe.

  11. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Human powered <[email protected]> wrote:
    :>
    :> You see rode and road interchanged.

    I've done this.... :)

  12. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Colorado Bicycler" wrote: (clip) Anyone else with some favorites?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You are so wright... er, um...write.

  13. sneaux. I see sneaux here alot.

    ...max

  14. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Colorado Bicycler" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyone else with some favorites?

    It's vs its

    I've seen this one screwed up in "real literature" like magazines and
    newspapers quite often.

    Remember - It's is ALWAYS a contraction of "It is". It's is NOT the
    possessive form of "It". Its is.

    How's THAT for a couple tortured sentences?

    Mark "it happens" Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  15. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    Mark Hickey wrote:

    > It's vs its
    >
    > I've seen this one screwed up in "real literature" like magazines and
    > newspapers quite often.
    >
    > Remember - It's is ALWAYS a contraction of "It is". It's is NOT the
    > possessive form of "It". Its is.
    >
    > How's THAT for a couple tortured sentences?

    Corporate toady: "Whose (not who's) stapler is that?"

    Departmentalized answer: "IT's."

    Or something like that...

    Bill "slow morning" S.

  16. DD

    DD Guest

    Mark Hickey wrote:
    > "Colorado Bicycler" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone else with some favorites?

    > It's vs its
    >
    > I've seen this one screwed up in "real literature" like magazines and
    > newspapers quite often.
    >
    > Remember - It's is ALWAYS a contraction of "It is". It's is NOT the
    > possessive form of "It". Its is.
    >
    > How's THAT for a couple tortured sentences?
    >
    > Mark "it happens" Hickey
    > Habanero Cycles
    > http://www.habcycles.com
    > Home of the $795 ti frame

    Unfortunately that one isn't so clear, there was a brief change of
    opinion in education circles many years ago as to how this should be
    represented. Some people were taught that as you have stated, others
    that "it's" should never be used.
    You get this sort of thing happening over time also. English has words
    ending in 'ise' whereas American English has 'ize', however over recent
    time American culture and spelling (as with other cultures in this
    global village) has crept into usage in 'English'-speaking countries.
    Some of what has dug up in this thread is either humour or hurried
    typing, or as you have suspected more and more peasants are getting hold
    of computers.
    There is a Mel Brooks film with a scene where a courtier rushes over to
    the King of France shouting "Sire, Sire, the peasants are revolting. No
    really, the peasants ARE revolting". Is that what you are looking for?

  17. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    DD wrote:

    > There is a Mel Brooks film with a scene where a courtier rushes over
    > to the King of France shouting "Sire, Sire, the peasants are
    > revolting. No really, the peasants ARE revolting". Is that what you
    > are looking for?

    Just got a "grand pa" joke yesterday like that.

    Little kid lost in a mall. Goes up to cop and says, "I can't find my
    Grandpa." Cop says, "What's he like?"

    Kid says, "Scotch and women with big tits."

    {rimshot.wav}

    Bill "didn't forward it to MANY" S.

  18. Knit pick - nit pick

    Most Knit pickers should really get a life!

  19. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    Brian Sanderson wrote:
    > Knit pick - nit pick
    >
    > Most Knit pickers should really get a life!

    So that makes you...the Fuzz Fuzz?!?

  20. Ken M

    Ken M Guest

    Colorado Bicycler wrote:
    > Just for fun.
    >
    > The most frequently confused words I see in bicycling forums:
    >
    > lose - loose - loss
    >
    > "I want to loose some weight."
    >
    > advice - advise
    >
    > "Please give me some advise on bicycling"
    >
    > a lot - alot
    >
    > "There were alot of bicyclers there."
    >
    > there - their - they're
    >
    > "There bikes were their because there always sure to lock they're
    > bikes."
    >
    > You're - your
    >
    > "Your the best bicylist I now."
    >
    > Know - now (see above).
    >
    > Anyone else with some favorites?

    Sometimes these are silly mistakes. The slip of the fingers on keys.
    Sometimes people type to fast for their abilities. Sometimes it just
    comes down to proof reading the post before posting. IMO.

    Ken
    --
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy